PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

SICK BUILDINGS "Consult / Manage" tape
Trash Ritual
Guy of SB is also known as one half of BT.HN with The Rita. These canadian harsh noisers have some things in common, but Sick Buildings offers much more dynamic and diverse type of harsh noise. Sometimes fast, in b-side slowing down to random crashing noises and slow echoed feedback emerging between the hits. Pedals and distant sound sources, but heavy and good to listen to! 30 mins tape just perfect length. Trash Ritual design was kind of trying to be "old school", but using electric typeriter slightly ruined it.

BIZARRE UPROAR / GELSOMINA / MUTANT APE "tour tape 2008" tape
C-60 in oversized cover, xerox splattered with red paint. One side one track each band, other side collaboration track. Limited 88, of course. Bizarre Uproar starts with "amputated limbs", not far from his contribution for Hated Perversions for example. Or Likainen Ehtoollinen? I think in near days should give listen to BU/Last Rape tape from early F&V discography..
Gelsomina presents his transition time material. Basically old style Gelsomina beautiful noise walls are behind, and sound is moving towards Sick Seed broken, wreckage worshipping rubbish sounds. Mutant Ape does good job in his noise as well. I think after good a-side, b-side filled with 3 collaboration tracks sounds kind of lame. More like "lets jam something". This results that occasionally it goes on well, occasionally losing direction. Great vocals in final track, though!

PÄR THÖRN / TR KIRSTEIN "Slug Bait" tape
Pär has done stuff together with Leif Elggren and released stuff on Firework Edition Records. I have absolutely no recollection when and where I got this tape. Could it be that there was this one guy at Copenhagen mayhem club doing feedback installation? Him? Not sure. I thought this, because tape starts with equally punishing ultra high picth feedback. Utmost treble electronics and high picthed screams including looong delay make a-side great listening, although could be unbearable for many due lacking all crunch and noisiness. Merely treble torment with echoes what softens the edge quite a lot. B-side adds more aggression and action, but basic remains close to this. Sax torment in distance. Live Recordings, but very bright sound.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

J_D_H

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 11, 2014, 05:14:06 PM

I think in near days should give listen to BU/Last Rape tape from early F&V discography..

Gutted that tape is impossible to find. The b side features my absolute favourite Pasi vocal. Recently noticed same vocal is used during BU live in Lahti 2008 show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtE0mXF3A4Q.  Any idea if this vocal or the Lahti show is available on any other BU release? 

J_D_H

Other than the IOPS vol. 2 DVD of course...

P-K

Slutstationen comp cassette ...has been a long time since i was this captured by a long (c90?!) compilation....sadly disgraced by a BDN-turd, hope that track really was the end of him....

Andrew McIntosh

What with the death of Summer here at last I've been getting much pleasure from listening to the return of rain. Always one of the most satisfying natural sounds one can listen to, particularly from the cosiness of one's own home.

Insofar as human made sounds are concerned, I discovered I had Jason Lescalleet's "The Pilgrim" on the hard-drive. That is, the cd part of an original release which also included a vynal album. I can't remember downloading it but it must have come from the label Glistening Example's Bandcamp page, which features the "re-mastered full-length version of the original composition, before it was edited down to the CD version". What this is, in practice, is a lengthy spiral of softly played, often quiet sounds that rise and explode into sheer Noise towards the last ten minutes or so. It's mainly a very pleasant piece, one that has withstood a few repeat listens so far, evidently dedicated to Lescalleet's late father. The sounds seem to be mostly guitar generated and feedback orientated. Some moments are very quiet, almost silent, others have slight repetitive elements. Definite sense of composition but without any restrictive elements. Had a melancholy feel but I understand the final Noise explosion is Lescalleet going through that "anger" phase of grief. In any case, this is a fine spiral, nice and long and subtle.

And for some reason I've been listening to a lot of Black Metal again. Chiefly Hate Forest, Von, Katharsis, Nargaroth and Funeral Moon.
Shikata ga nai.

burdizzo

Rain, eh? Hah! I have a cousin a farmer in Australia, and he always bemoans the lack of rain! Are you an Australian farmer, per chance!!? As an Irish farmer myself, I have to say we get far too much of the stuff, and the sound of it is quite depressing!
What have I been listening to lately? Yesterday, it was Grunt's 'Terror and Degeneration' (which was pretty damn good), and Brighter Death Now's 'Where Dreams Come True'  which was a live album, and a bit disappointing. Maybe you had to be there. However, I see BDN are playing in London later this year w/ Deutsch Nepal, Trepaneringsritualen, Raison D'etre, Iron Fist of the Sun, and some others. Might be worth the trip, all the same...

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: burdizzo on April 12, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
Rain, eh? Hah! I have a cousin a farmer in Australia, and he always bemoans the lack of rain! Are you an Australian farmer, per chance!!? As an Irish farmer myself, I have to say we get far too much of the stuff, and the sound of it is quite depressing!

I can dig it, although you're tempting me to move to the Northern hemisphere. Your cousin was right, there's been a serious drought over the last few years over much of this island (around the North-East, I understand), so any time you mob want to send us some of that rain, feel free. We'll do a swap. Although there's a massive cyclone raping North Queensland as I write, so let's wait a tad...

Have the gravest respect for farmers. As an confirmed urbanite, it's a lifestyle that I can only look at as a total outsider.
Shikata ga nai.

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 11, 2014, 01:24:56 PM
Uh... This was kind of worst time to buy Hospital tapes. Label was using hi-speed dupping device, not really meant for high fidelity noise recordings, and malfunctioning machine caused lots of clicks and pops to copies. When tape was assumed to be salvation from crappy digital glitches, now it was bad analogue glitches!

Thanx for letting me know about this. I will think twice before I buy some Hospital tapes!

FreakAnimalFinland

Well, this only applies to c. 2005 tapes? Before and after quality is good. But in times of one particular dubbing machines, results are gamble.

Mikerdeath

Speculum Fight - Glass Giant (G.R.O.S.S.)

This tape is absolutely crushing. Very well composed bass drone / harsh noise layered together in a particular fashion. Track lengths are perfect and each is more angry sounding than the last.
I can't seem to stop listening to this.

Wrong Hole - Sucking Wound (Amnesia Program)

I can't say this is the best Wrong Hole tape because I haven't heard everything, but between his live sets and the previous recordings it seems to be continuing down this path of complete perfection, If anyone wants to hear some current harsh noise I would say that Wong Hole is leading the way right now. His work speaks for itself.
Music Concrete and Electronics with a sensibility to it that I only find in older acts like Speculum Fight, Skin Crime, and Incapacitants. It's that good for me.

STREETMEAT

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 10, 2014, 01:48:45 PM

PUSSYFOOTER "Rwanda" tape
Nordisk Klub 07
Pussyfooter is Klaus Hansen & Lukas Hojlund. So two guys who are also in Forza Albino and White Nigger, and separately in countless projects too. I have very distant recollection in being at rehearsal room of these guys, or apartment of Klaus, listening some session where they throw bunch of huge scrap metal around the hall. Is it this - or some other release, hard to say. But here 10+10 mins of throwing junk around, with colossal rumbling bass heavy sound. There is pretty close to zero "composition" or idea beyond loud noise, but needless to say: I'm huge fanatic of metal junk noise, and when it is this huge sounding and not just micro level scratching - even more so! Play it LOUD!

if you havent heard the dada fuck 7"+cs release its a must have(not because i released it but its fucking pussyfooter on vinyl!!)

FreakAnimalFinland

Don't remember right now.. Got to check it out. Generally been quite low interest to mixed format boxes, for reason or another...

MILITIA "archive collection 1996-1997" CD
Neuropa
Too bad there was some bad blood between Militia and Neuropa, so archive series ended here. At least on this label. Collects War Against Society, Familiedrama and Kingdom Of Our Lord materials on one CD. And fuck how good it is. Of course I had all these originals since they were published, and got this reissue when it was put out. All material fits together perfectly and despite growing professionality in recording methods and sound, it's very uniform disc. To me Kingdom Of Our Lord stands as one of the absolute mightiest percussive industrial songs ever made. Some remastering done, but I think not hurting the atmosphere. Lack of all original artwork is quite bad choice, though.

BARRIKAD "Where there was fire... we brought gasoline" tape
Nil By Mouth
One of more elegant packagings of NBM releases. And possible one of best Barrikad releases is it? Large soft tape box houses inside booklet including re-print of Gilles Dauve "Critique of the situationist international". For those seeking different ways of communism & anarchism than the "most usual" (like realities of state communism that existed and forms of youth rebellion), go ahead. You can find the text online too. It's great to see especially b-side having multiple tracks, which offer diversity to material. One long track of A-side is not bad either. Certainly Barrikad went ahead from early stages of lo-fi radio-noise & shoplifting glorification, into more sophisticated political theory and advanced raw power electronics / noise sound. If you'll grab one Barrikad release, I could recommend this!

And:
Final War "s/t" + "We Speak The Truth" CD's, perhaps the best of the OC skinhead melodic punk?! Catchy tunes, well made yet basic tracks. Lots of anthemic tracks. Long time favorite always worth to play again. Recently one of these albums came as LP. Format added some neat distorted edge to sound.
Slaghammer "All Cops Are Bastards" CD. One guy of Stormtroop 16 went to jail, others decided to do CD under name Slaghammer. One member in recent years busted for meth lab and murder charges. Music includes same fucked up hatred with typicality of USA hatecore. Vulgar, direct and violent. For those who like Chaos 88, Action Group 88, etc.. 

terminus01

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 11, 2014, 01:24:56 PM
Uh... This was kind of worst time to buy Hospital tapes. Label was using hi-speed dupping device, not really meant for high fidelity noise recordings, and malfunctioning machine caused lots of clicks and pops to copies. When tape was assumed to be salvation from crappy digital glitches, now it was bad analogue glitches!

depressing to read this after all these years -- i knew the copies had bad fidelity but now to hear they were glitched as well. the emaciator "dormant" tape i did for hospital was also botched -- the a and b side tracks were incorrect on all copies except the 25 artist copies which i re-dubbed. i had insisted they all get fixed multiple times but to no avail .... someday this and all PD stuff from the era will be reissued in 100% digital glory.

eyestrain

Coppice - Big Wad Excisions (Quakebasket): The dog and I are lounging in the hammock indulging in the mixed sounds of this obscure beauty and an approaching storm's heavy winds. Losing sight of what's what, but it's no surprise I discovered this through Jason Zeh's mentioning of it. Definitely on a similar wavelength. Perfect headphone music of simple, pure sounds.

Funereal Presence - The Archer Takes Aim (Ajna/Sepulchral Voice): First piece of metal that's really grabbed me in ages. More Negative Plane than their first EP, and that's definitely for the better. Really, it's just like that with simplified drumming and all the reverb is gone (from voice and everything). Really wonderful!

FreakAnimalFinland

NEFARIOUS COMPLEX "DEMOnology" tape
Audial Decimation
Not sure who this is. Canadian project with nothing else but this and.. comp track? However, judging by music, it sounds like side project of metal people. Not far from something such as Terror Organ and perhaps one could also throw in reference to Iugula Thor works with "metal guitars". Sounds like line-in multieffect works. Not bad, but nothing spectacular here either.

CROATIAN AMOR / Rose Alliance -split tape
Posh Isolation
In this case c-10 seems way too short. Croatian Amor track is ok, but barely close to their best works. However, Rose Alliance by Hannes of LFY is really nice track and would be good to hear more. Noisier and heavier than his melodic works. Vocals are less flegmatic, same delay though. Hissing noise and forceful synth rhythm brings this closer to atmosphere of "Galakt Horro" or "Tesco" kind of stuff, but of course remaining still in lo-fi tape works side of things.

JESUS (prurient / nico vascellari) 2xtape
Hospital productions
Irony or not, it seems pretty bold move to name project JESUS, and then have two collaboration live performances based on GG Allin and Klaus Kinski!
A-side works very well in kind of "expected" Prurient mode. Wild screaming and loud piercing microphone feedback. Some other noises too, but vocals dominate entire piece. B-side has spoken pieces cut from mr. Allin and crashing acoustic noises and some electronics on top.  C-side starts with highly static electronic tone, with possibly audience talking over it. I doubt its sampled people talking, and meant to be on recording. When vocals and feedback erupt, it silences the crowd and it's all feedback, vocals, voice loops, electronics. Side D-side samples Kinski and starts kind of lame and slow, but then piece really gets going and becomes perhaps best side of release. Overall, while I like crisp of the modern digital hand held recorders (which I assume was used to capture these), I think generally this era may be remembered as moment when many noise live recordings became slightly flat. While certainly there is more detail than old school boombox and walkman live recordings, but too similar sound from release to another is kind of annoying. It can be saved with decent mastering job, but also here some digital clip type of overdrive isn't helping that much. Good release, nevertheless!