PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban Noise

"Hell Comes Home – Vol I" Box Set
Massive 7'' box! Each 7'' have the participation of 2 bands ranging from very different styles and genres. From Stoner to Hardcore, some Grind, very diverse. A good listening experience.
Artwork from each 7'' is fucking amazing! Each cover have the illustration of a creature/monster/insect! Very well done!

"Raíz Ibérica" V/A
This is a compilation with Portuguese and Spanish Folk bands! An amazing compilation I must say! Recommended for those who like the more archaic Folk music! Not much into the typical Neo-Folk sounds, but really more traditional. Must of the bands participated with an exclusive song and we can find here bands such as Urze de Lume (PT), Sangre de Muergado (SP), Azagatel (PT), Àrnica (SP), Cosmos (SP), Arde Fero (PT) and a few others!
A special note to the participation of Azagatel. They play Black Metal with Lusitanian Paganism as main topic, but for this compilation they composed their first Folk song, no Metal at all here. And they made a great song!

Novemthree - "Renewing" CD
Neo-Folk from the US. Very calm, music based on classic guitar work. Good stuff! I got the pre-order version, not sure what will be the major differences, but this is numbered and limited to 130 copies in a Digifile kind of package and comes with a patch. Simple and very beautiful artwork.

Àrnica – "Lecho de Piedra" CD
Special version here, comes with a poster and in a bag made of goat skin! This was limited to 50 copies or so.
Archaic Folk in the typical Àrnica way! Drums, flutes and horns!
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

FreakAnimalFinland

DANIEL MENCHE "Furious Eclipse" LP
Soleilmoon
1995 LP, first soleilmoon vinyl release? Seems so. Effect loaded, mostly calm sound. Not his best, but certainly good listening here.

JOSEPH HAMMER "I love you, please love me too" LP
PAN
Odd Hammer album. Spoken/sung collage music. Short clips and loops of music, singing etc creating quite bizarre piece. First I have hard time with this, but either it just grows, or early shock goes away. I don't have THAT much of this type of collage stuff in my collection.

NAEVUS / SPIRITUAL FRONT split pic 10"
Old Europa Cafe
Hmm.. Naevus neo-folkish stuff pretty well done and also some experimental elements, but at the same time it seems somehow lack the charm of veterans of genre. Spiritual Front in other hand is some eccentric music. What one should call this? Homosexual cabaret show?  Don't know. Some of it works just fine, but some is annoying. Perhaps most memorable SF tune is featured here "Cold love.." and final tracks is pretty good experimental piece.

V/A "Automation" 2xLP
Laub Records
Uh. While there are some goodies here, like Troum, Drape Excrement, etc. there is also really half assed stuff and plain awful techo pieces too. Horrible graphics and utmost lack of information. Not worth getting for few good tracks.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

K.MIZUTANI "the same thing makes always her laugh" LP
ZSF
Great LP from 1989, long time Merzbow collaborator. One track is for my taste little bit too much random percussion piece, but everything else here is really good and could be recommended for those who like old Merzbow style from early/mid 80's. I would dare to say easily his best release and worth to try to find!

KOHORT "Christian Masquerade" LP
Act of Hate
Small scale BM classic from Poland. Think about being around time and on same label with Graveland and Infernum, and with member of Lord Of Evil here too. Odd very little distorted guitars. First time LP version, 300 copies.

FreakAnimalFinland

ALFARMANIA "Bottenscrapet"-pic LP
Autarkeia
Nice stuff as always. Large cave-like reverbrating atmosphere, but with brute shouting and grim noises. Good ending and clearly album superior to some tapes on playlist in recent times.

SEWER ELECTION "vidoppna sar" LP
PAN
Nice! Think of SE when its not too "academic" (read= uninvolved) tape works, nor its too close to Schimpfluch gagging, nor pure harsh noise either, but just many of these things blended well together. Mostly focusing on junk metal, but all mentioned elements can be found to some extent. Nice album.

SUDDEN INFANT "Sidewalk social scientist" LP
Tochnit Aleph
1989-1999 works. It should as solid as SI stuff generally sounds. Perhaps even too much so, considering if its things pulled together from 10 years of time. Very crisp and clear sound. Humor, cut ups, weirdness. Not his best works by any means, but has some killer moments.

eyestrain

BC Grimm - The Ideating Knell (Signal Dreams): Very interesting to begin hearing more and more of Madison, WI's more thoughtful underground wayfarers. I've had many pleasure-filled years spent with the freakier, more stoned, side of the coin, but works like this are something else entirely. It's comprised of terse improvisation (I'm assuming at least) reminiscent of electroacoustic pioneering, but made from "Guqin 古琴 & Guzheng 古筝,[...]dulcimer hammers, cajon brushes, chopsticks, mate straw, metal bowls, broken teaware, clay sculpting tools, snare wires, & seashell strands". There's also, undeniably, an Asiatic presence due to the instruments used, but definitely with a Westerner's execution. No peddling from a bullshit guru, just inspired creativity. A rather demanding/rewarding release from a label that I can't help but stay with from now on.

Derek Rogers - Prevais (Signal Dreams): Unsurprisingly, this guy resides in LA. There's definitely that Cali-tapeworld vibe going on, but without being awful Emeralds/New Age rehash. To its benefit, there's also a distinct INA - GRM and cut-up vibe present as well. Computer Muzak with enough density and character to remain agreeable. Definitely a lot of what-the-hell moments due to some harsh editing that will make or break this for you.

Frances-Marie Uitti & Gareth Davis - Gramercy (Miasmah): A powerful dose of unnerving (and sparingly light) composition from this cellist-clarinetist duo. Not too much in the vein of their other works, at least those that I'm familiar with. Less academic, less generic drone; somewhere between intention and free-improv instead.

Hive Mind - A Stagnant Plague Cast Through Shallow Earth (Helicopter): Either I can't attune my ear to the differences, or most Hive Mind releases resemble each other. This isn't a bad thing, but with 60+ releases out there, Greh might as well just put out C100's to keep things economical. Gotta say though, that this disc does dwell on the minimal, at least the first two pieces, more than most HM albums do. Still, the second half is business as usual. Love it? Yes.

Shredded Nerve - Failing To Maintain (Chondritic Sound): Hope this group has more in store for the future. A stellar offering of industrial tones, Sewer Election/Blodvite-isms, and sparse harshness. Really varied, engaging (at least with headphones), and void of bullshit pretense. Convincingly bleak without falling into the weathered cliches of you-know-what.

Troy Schafer - Untitled No. 1 (Signal Dreams): An amalgamation of all the Troy Schafer output thus far; improvised violin chaos, crazy-processed vocals, harsh electronics, droning static, beauteous violin movements, acoustic-sound experimentation. As eclectic and as frantic as the man's mind itself seems to be. I'm beyond giddy for the next part of this series.

Aaron Dilloway - Corpse On Horseback (Hanson): Thanks for the leads; this and the fella below are my next forays into Dilloway after reading the thread on him and this one too. Spastic and sporadic all the way. Can't help but be reminded of Ryan Bloomer at times - if there was more gaiety and breathing room in his work.

Aaron Dilloway - Bad Dreams (Hanson): Sits nicely amidst a couple of SNSE/Gaping Hole tapes and Body Collector's later output. Gentle harsh noise and loads of tape manipulation. From-another-world kinda sounds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: eyestrain on June 18, 2014, 10:30:39 AM
Sits nicely amidst a couple of SNSE/Gaping Hole tapes

Been working on project of Euro editions of entire Gaping Hole discography. When label ceased to exists, despite everything is free to stream on website, I felt that due small amounts many of these tapes sold (according to label), could be good to have this good line of brutal harshness available on tape again...  Just wait a bit...

S.P.K. "Leichenschrei" LP
Thermidor
Classic what barely needs further comments. Industrial music in finest tradition. Perhaps some noiseheads will be turned off by some drum machine beats getting more musical, but damn. It's bleak and cold stuff. Metal percussions, proper studio sound. Cold vocals. This kind of stuff doesn't really get done anymore.

Pessary "Inward Collapse" LP
Dirter
1990 recorded tape that got done as LP/CD 1991 by Dirter as labels very earliest releases. Guy who played guitar in thrash band Obliteration started this industrial group. He later played in 2nd coming of SATORI too. At best, Pessary is heavy and aggressive industrial, where bounding industrial beats, processed vocals and effect fueled guitarnoise forms intense feel. Something to lump together with that era of UK industrial sound. Godflesh, JFK, Splintered, etc. Without sounding exactly like those. It's mostly not riff based at all. No "industrial metal" or "rock" by any means. However, some tracks have not aged very well with their techno'ish beats. Some really good stuff here, some plain crappy.

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 18, 2014, 01:30:14 PM
Been working on project of Euro editions of entire Gaping Hole discography. When label ceased to exists, despite everything is free to stream on website, I felt that due small amounts many of these tapes sold (according to label), could be good to have this good line of brutal harshness available on tape again...  Just wait a bit...
Good to hear! I think Pat told me some time ago that they would be available again at some point in some form (could have been my hopeful imagination though), but I didn't expect the whole discography.
Will the vinyls and cds be made available too (Haemorrhaging Fetus, Dog Holocaust, Mania/Bloomer...)?

THE RITA HN

S.T.A.B. ELECTRONICS - Instrument for Operating on Mutant Women (lp, Urashima)
LIGATURE IMPRESSION - Slaves to Our Senses (cs, Danvers State)
LA BAYADERE - Kingdom of the Shades / PAQUITA - Pas de Dix (lp)
GAITE PARISIENNE / LES SYLPHIDES (lp)

All on repeat, repeat.  Amazing parallels can be drawn from two wildly different genres of music / sound which are both entirely fueled by the aesthetic of the woman.  The power electronics themes are even more profound when you read again and again about the heavy flesh merchandising that surrounded the early classical ballet.  

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 18, 2014, 01:30:14 PM
Quote from: eyestrain on June 18, 2014, 10:30:39 AM
Sits nicely amidst a couple of SNSE/Gaping Hole tapes
Been working on project of Euro editions of entire Gaping Hole discography. When label ceased to exists, despite everything is free to stream on website, I felt that due small amounts many of these tapes sold (according to label), could be good to have this good line of brutal harshness available on tape again...  Just wait a bit...
One of the finest labels (and operators) of recent memory.  Should have shown more support.  Realizing greatness after its gone.  Great news.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aischrolatreia

Deviated Sister TV- murder electronics
Kommando RJF C30
Haare- Forward to insanity

3 great tapes to heavily enhance an over-caffeinated hangover.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: aischrolatreia on June 19, 2014, 10:06:07 PMKommando RJF C30
Is this new material or...? Still available somewhere? NEED!

Ritual

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on June 19, 2014, 11:43:29 PM
Quote from: aischrolatreia on June 19, 2014, 10:06:07 PMKommando RJF C30
Is this new material or...? Still available somewhere? NEED!
Not sure, but I think the material may be from the LP sessions. One of the tracks appear on the LP, but I'm not sure if it is the same version. Haven't compared. I bought a copy at the Röset festival. There weren't many copies available.

Bloated Slutbag

(Woke up this morning to find that I'd subjected this board to rather soddyesque rant, duly removed, due apologies. I did save the principle and resubmit below.)

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 13, 2014, 03:23:56 AM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 12, 2014, 07:06:11 PM
But personally, I find the argument that a – favored – band is better live to be rather insulting. A subject to be explored another day.)

Please do, as I find that idea interesting.

This will probably be a boring answer as I imagine I am preaching to the choir, but after pondering this for a few days... I'd say that I was speaking to my listener approach to music in general, that is, music: recordings first. The recordings come first, the frequenting of the live performances second.

And it is therefore important for me to distinguish between:

a) the reviewer who appreciates the recordings and happens to prefer the live performances

and

b) the reviewer who does not particularly like the recordings and proclaims a preference for the live performances (recordings thereof notwithstanding)

Now, there are a buttload of reviewers to be found somewhere in between a) and b) but... it pretty much comes down to trusting the word of the reviewer. If the word of the reviewer does not correspond to my very own personal set of (increasingly ponderous) words, that's all agreeable enough provided some degree of rationale exists. Minus the rationale one may at least make do with a (relatively) verifiable medium, such as a recording. Live performances are... well, live performances are like this:

"Dude. You had to be there."[/discussion]
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Andrew McIntosh

I understand. I've often found myself wondering how any project/band would sound in a live setting when listening to their recorded work, more out of instinct than anything else. But nine times out of ten I've only got the recordings to go by. Your argument makes sense to me.
Shikata ga nai.

ConcreteMascara

Sektor 304 - Engage... Forwards boxset - great stuff. really enjoying the 7", but honestly i'm digging the cds more. the live cd is fantastic, the older tracks especially benefit from the more organic sound. the other cds are a nice mix of industrial, dark ambient, and unprocessed field recordings. glad I was able to get the box set, for those who didn't I highly recommend checking out the Live Reaction and Communiphones cds.

Lust For Youth - International - pure pop. super saccharine, tooth-ache inducing, sickly sweet pop. and i'm really enjoying it.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512