PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: eyestrain on October 04, 2015, 06:54:03 PM
Everything by Arska & Hakkapeliitat... just amazing!

tsiisus!

Death Squad discs are indeed good. Those who have only heard Theological Genocide or later works may be surprised by noisy, crushing heaviness of early works. Often brutal simple loops what makes it stand more to "industrial" than plain harsh noise. But really it's most of all just heavy punishing noise.

Been listening new ARMON KUILU LP test pressing. This long awaited follow-up to self titled 12" that came out many years ago. Some of the most greatest and innovative mixing of progressive music with wide variation of experimental sounds & soundscapes. Electronics, field recordings, electronic & acoustic instruments. Will be interesting to see reactions when this finally "hits the market" so to say, hah..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Absolut Null Punkt - Metacompound
Absolute drums plonked, pinched, punched, pummelled, pounded and, generally, percussed. Seijiro Murayama kicks things off with some drums. This is followed by a considerable degree of drumming. After that, we hear a bunch of drums. Of Null? Nada. Or very little I'd say. Farts, blurts 'n blubbers, principally of the electro percusion, serving to underline the endless chattering ker-plunkt. This does not much resemble the ANP I remember, though if I recall correctly they were never all that memorable. Still if memory serves it would be the kind of thing I dig. Kinda Swans-ish slowmo gutteral thud and howl, no? Out comes my copy of Ultrasonic Action and yes there are resemblances.  ANP did excel at establishing a very particular kind of... grey-tinged... mind-numbing... feedback- drenched atmosphere. Fastforward several years to the 2006 recording date and Metacompound does very well in maintaining a consistently cold, if somewhat unhinged, atmos. The best bits are probably when the percussive theatrics settle down a bit, a Null-ified machine-drone gentrifying a full-throttled pattern of thud-a-thudthud. Metacompound JK is perhaps the most striking, working through at least three separate movements featuring what could almost stand in for horns, incessant honking threatening to suggest a legitimate Null presence at a distinct interval or two. Though it is the slower transitions that set the tone, opening up gaping spaces and generating moments of concentrated, if fleeting, scrutiny. This is no Broadrick tribute, though I'll admit I kept half expecting Mr Kishino to start yelling out the title in between abbreviated bouts of Japanese growl- no such luck? The closer opts for carefully spaced out bouts of pure wapping, only surging into climactic slobber toward the end. The closing twenty five seconds are approximately what I expected the disc to sound like and I'm still trying to decide if that is good or bad.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Yen Pox - Between the Horizon and the Abyss 2015 - this album continues to impress - best of 2015.
Seijaku - Last Live 2015 - one of my favorite Haino releases. Mitsuru Nasuno (bass) and Yoshimitsu Ichiraku (drums) are incredible. Totally different animal than Nasuno's other trio, Korekyojinn (possibly heard on Tzadik). Monster album. Highly recommended.  Best of 2015.
God Macabre - The Winterlong 1993 - Swedish death metal - decent, but it didn't smoke me like some Swedish death can - I'm torn on whether to love the deeper vocals or not.
Hijokaidan & Yoshihide Otomo - Noise Join Inn 2015 - decent album, and I like the krautrock album art.
The Chameleons - What does Anything Mean?  Basically 1985 - least favorite of their albums - production is shrill and grating.
The Chameleons - Strange Times 1986 - like all their albums, it's too long, but it's still a very good album - they couldn't write a pop song, which is why fewer people know about them, but they embody all the popular elements and come up with a thinkingman's version of 80s indie rock.
The Chameleons - Peel Sessions - good sessions.
28th Day - s/t 1985 - 80s indie with a more obvious 60's psych/pop sensibility - female vocals - good album.
Muslimgauze - Abu Nidal 1987 - still feel this and Coup D'Etat are at the top of that early work.
Muslimgauze - Iran 1988 - aging well.
Muslimgauze - Coup D'Etat 1987
Muslimgauze - Jazirat-Ul-Arab 1987
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

KOUFAR "lebanon for lebanese" LP Fusty Cunt- this flew under my radar until recently. very good industrial/PE. not so much of 'the usual PE sounds' but does have very aggressive vocals. I wish there had been a lyric sheet. recommended.

Also, been listening to Goatlord "Reflections of the Solstice" & ordered "Sodomize the Goat" 2LP. Tonight, I'll play "The Last Sodomy of Mary"...

Dr Alex

Survival Unit - Continuity cdr

I own this cdr for a long time but never pay a proper attention to this project. This is amazing old school sounding power electronics. Really good compositions, vocals and samples are also great. It's pity that this is released as cdr with digital printed artwork. I hope somebody will reissue this jewel on proper CD.

hkso

Quote from: Dr Alex on October 11, 2015, 12:06:44 PM
Survival Unit - Continuity cdr

I own this cdr for a long time but never pay a proper attention to this project. This is amazing old school sounding power electronics. Really good compositions, vocals and samples are also great. It's pity that this is released as cdr with digital printed artwork. I hope somebody will reissue this jewel on proper CD.

Not a bad idea with CD release but I guess there is little need for it as the LP was made in 500 copies and is still available for good price....

Zeno Marx

Jean-Luc Guionnet-Seijiro Murayama-Guilherme Rodrigues-Ernesto Rodrigues - Noite 2008 - 2 tracks; 73+ minutes - as reference, what you might hear from Iskra 1903 or an Evan Parker group improvisation - of this ilk, this might be one of the best I've heard; really worked for me - recommended.

Jean-Luc Guionnet & Edward Perraud - Heur 2002 - alto sax/drum duet - a single, 56-minute track - I didn't find it particularly interesting or of any surprise.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Various – Hated Perversions
Taint. Grunt. Sick Seed. Spunk. Plenty to dislike in this assortment of hatefully crafted pervination. Take "Dedicated to Male Rape Group". I fucking hate this. Hell, it doesn't even sound like Taint, at least to start with. Stripped down, slow, labored breathing... inhale... exhale... inhale... fucked into fetal coma via piercing rips of staggered feedback, only ladling on heavier bowel-plugging layers toward the rather more tainted, utterly shredded, conclusion. I'll admit I haven't listened to too much Taint recently, but if anyone could suggest something along similar lines I'd, uh, most certainly not want to know. Others earmarked for particular loathing include the revolting toiletspherics of Sick Seed. This is just the worst, curdled drainbient flushed over repetitive rim-plonking and a condensed series of ill-considered vocals culminating with the ill-fitted invitation to "burn my balls", ill-propos of what could pass for massively overbilged out-take from Public Castration Is A Good Idea, as chucked down a deep and corroded pukehole to render the normally thunderous percussives a pathetic and tinny temperament- at which point we are hurled arsefirst into a second Seeding, retaining the bowel-flecked fumes but divested of plonkity rim-action and invested more securely in overbilge. Just when you think things couldn't sink any lower, out plop Bizarre Uproar, white-flecked strings of unutterably vicious hailings to the chief strained shrieked and spat onto the straight-ahead, if faintly metallic, roar of rough 'n cretinous din. The semi-autistic percussives of Dorchester Library are particularly worthy of contempt, like some arthritic drummer trying ineffectually to wap his way out through several turdloads worth of squealing TNB-grade scrapfilth, no doubt in the hope of incurring from one Mother Savage the administration of arse-thrashing so richly deserved. There are others on here equally unworthy of comment but I've about had it. Fetch the arse-thrashers. "Vogue Bambini" serves matter-of-fact Nicole 12 didactism overtop lurching, dictaphone-gone-to-shit, rhythm, successfully mimicking the sense of impending emesis creeping up my esophagus. Harsher on the ear than it appears and that's what you wanted, isn't it you filthy, fucking, little...  Take it. TAKE IT! Fuck, I fucking hate your hate your stupid ff—fff—fffffucking fffuck fuck you fucking- ergh, fuck yergh, shit ohfuck ohshit fuckfuck. fuck... fapfapfapfapfap.... ... Erm. Ah. Just a sec there. Who is...? Right. Okay now. I'm fine, really. Grunt. Okay, Grunt. Adman sloganeering confessional. Steady, grinding, analog sputter. Drizzled gutterturds lathered upon the frazzled knobslob. Dreadful, absolutely dreadful. But what else is to be expected? The only surprise is the outgoing missive, slow-dredged reverberance piled unto nauseum, unsurprising cybertronic vocaloids surging through the billowed heaps, heavy on the drama and heavy in general, all courtesy Control. Yes, Control. And just what does Control have to say for himself? "Suffocate And Silent". Thought so.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

eyestrain

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 16, 2015, 11:54:53 AMHarsher on the ear than it appears and that's what you wanted, isn't it you filthy, fucking, little...  Take it. TAKE IT! Fuck, I fucking hate your hate your stupid ff—fff—fffffucking fffuck fuck you fucking- ergh, fuck yergh, shit ohfuck ohshit fuckfuck. fuck... fapfapfapfapfap.... ... Erm. Ah. Just a sec there. Who is...? Right. Okay now. I'm fine, really. Grunt. Okay, Grunt.

You are the Chips & Beer of noise babble. I nearly spit my beer out after the perfect lead-in to this tirade. Tension. Building. Haha!

This comp I love. The artists stand out as a unity, when they normally wouldn't if LP material were tossed in.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 16, 2015, 11:54:53 AMI'll admit I haven't listened to too much Taint recently, but if anyone could suggest something along similar lines I'd, uh, most certainly not want to know.
Sure you do, you must check "Harming Obsession". I'm sure you'll hate it! That would make for another amusing post...

Zeno Marx

Muslimgauze - Emak Bakia 1994 - neither a good album, nor an album that embraces bad influences - no track stuck out - a bland album.
Muslimgauze - Hamas Arc 1993 - good, solid album, and an album I would add to a main list of Muslimgauze listens.
Muslimgauze - Hebron Massacre 1994 - a single, 25+ minute track - good material, and an album I would add to a main list of Muslimgauze listens.
Muslimgauze - Nadir of Purdah 1994-1995 - (bootleg?) collection of Nile Quartra 7", Nadir of Purdah 12", and the Impulse #4 comp track - 7" is a vinyl rip and said to be too slow - comp track could be a b-side to Zul'm, which is great - marking the end of his best work?
Muslimgauze - Silknoose 1995 - some harder rhythms and harsher sounds/production - good album - liked it more this time than the other times I've heard it - awful artwork; almost as bad as Emak Bakia - heavy on the repetition, but in a less refined, more obvious way, as if he looped shit with little care whether it came across out of laziness; yes, it's obvious he loops as a common practice, but some of these tracks sound like a CD player on repeat, not an artist structurally repeating their samples.
Muslimgauze - Drugsherpa 1994 - he nailed this EP.
Muslimgauze - Satyajit Eye 1993 - first 4 tracks are Vote Hezbollah remixes and are very good - a very good album that I feel will make it to my list of top Muslimgauze albums - only on DAT (and mail-in only with coupon) until 2012.
Armed Citizens - Make Sense 1983 - NYHC.
Floor - Oblation 2014 - a strong Helmet Meantime vibe, maybe because of the vocals - not as grimy as I remember Floor - good riffs, but they're abbreviated or something, because if they were sustained just a bit longer, this would be less indie sounding and more heavy/sludge oriented.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

MaisonBlanche

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 17, 2015, 02:35:49 AM
my list of top Muslimgauze albums

Which is... ?
What would you recommend ?
I only know Izlamaphobia and Coup d'Etat/Abu Nidal (which should pop up in my mailbox in a couple of days...).

Such a huge body of work... Please help ;)

Dr Alex

Floor - Oblation 2014 - a strong Helmet Meantime vibe, maybe because of the vocals - not as grimy as I remember Floor - good riffs, but they're abbreviated or something, because if they were sustained just a bit longer, this would be less indie sounding and more heavy/sludge oriented.

I really like that band and I own their boxset with discography. I still can't get new album. It's good but somehow not fit Floor sound that I like. I never like Torche and maybe it's reminds me of Torche so much. Floor - s/t is a fucking masterpiece!

Zeno Marx

Quote from: MaisonBlanche on October 17, 2015, 10:29:37 AM
my list of top Muslimgauze albums

Which is... ?
What would you recommend ?
I only know Izlamaphobia and Coup d'Etat/Abu Nidal (which should pop up in my mailbox in a couple of days...).

Such a huge body of work... Please help ;)
check this thread:  http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=431.0
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.