PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: KHH on July 24, 2012, 12:54:16 AM
Haha no you didn't all the loops on the NP debut is reel-to-reel. Next NP is pretty CT laced. Urinals is Mikkel and I btw

Hahaha. Sorry about that.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

acsenger

MacronymphaPittsburgh, Pennsylvania (CD, Trash Ritual, 2009)
My first encounter with Macronympha. Great album, and I can't wait to order the Americanoise comp to get a taste of classic American noise.

Monde BruitsSelected Noise Works 93-94 (CD, Endorphine Factory, 1994)
Haven't listened to this in years and years (as is the case with a lot of my CDs, sadly). Classic-style Japanese noise with a nice sound (I think he's using death metal distortion pedals). I enjoyed it for a while, but then it started getting monotonous. For a CD that's about 60 minutes long, there just isn't enough variety for me.

BorbetomagusLive In Tokyo (CD, Alchemy Records, 1997)
It must've been great to be at the gig, but on CD this is somewhat murky noise and nothing spectacular.

RamlehAwake! (8CD, Harbinger Sound, 2012)
Currently at CD 6, I think. I love the atmosphere of this music: raw & unpolished. There are reappearing songs, but it doesn't matter. The whole package together (packaging, booklet, pictures, song titles and the music) make for a very consistent and satisfying reading and listening experience.

MerzbowAntimonument  (CD, Art Directe, 1991)
A strangely atmospheric album. I find 80s Merzbow pretty bizarre (not meant in a negative way, of course) and quite a demanding listen, similar in a way to listening to free improvisation like AMM. It doesn't work as background music, or at least it's not as rewarding as when I really concentrate on the music.

MerzbowMerzphysics CDs 4 & 5 (10CD box, Youth Inc., 2012)
Not as strong as the first 3 CDs in the set. Disc 4 is a bit of filler material for me; disc 5 is better, with track 1 having a slight psychedelic undertone.

MerzbowMetalvelodrome CD 4 (4CD box, Alchemy Records, 1993)
Great stuff: varied and structured for the most part. It was well worth spending on this box set; it's amazing after one listen with the exception of disc 3 which seemed a bit too random, but I'm curious to see what I'll think after more listens.

Patrick GauthierBébé Godzilla (CD, Captain Trip Records, 2007)
The biggest discovery of recent months. An album from 1980 by a member of Heldon, Magma and Weidorje and with musicians from these bands, this is an instrumental Zeuhl-inspired album that mixes rock and plenty of synths. Hard to describe, but it's a flawless album. Based on reading some blogs, it seems there were albums made in France around this time that could be described as rock (but without the traditional structure of rock music) with plenty of synths and experimentation. The few albums I know are great, so I'll explore this "genre" further.

Jean-Philippe GoudeDrones (download)
Another French experimental synth/rock album, from 1980, and it's very good.

WeidorjeWeidorje (download)
The only album (from 1978) of this Zeuhl band who were like a lighter and less talented version of Magma. There are some great tracks but also some weak ones unfortunately.

OfferingA Fiieh (part of Offering 4CD box, Seventh Records, 2003)
The last Offering album, from 1993. The last track is too unfocused but the rest are great. Elements of Magma are frequent and some parts have the atmosphere of sacred music.

Pharoah SandersTauhid (download)
1966 album. I don't like jazz in general, but the first track here has a great piano melody which I'm pretty sure was used by Christian Vander in a Magma (or perhaps Offering) song with almost no change. The second track has some pretty bad singing, but the song itself is nice. The final track didn't really hold my attention.

Mikerdeath

Caligula 031 - Slavetrade 2000

Gnawed - Terminal Epoch

I received both of these in the mail this week, both are excellent on the packaging front. Musically they are both completely opposite approaches to Power Electronics.

Terminal Epoch is very rigidly composed and is just crushing. Monolithic but plenty of dynamics and well timed songs. Nothing offered for lyrics in the insert, but the vocals on the tracks hit their marks in the same way that other Gnawed material does. Quite a step for this project and Im excited for the next offering. Gnawed track from Bestial Forces comp was one of my favorites too.

Slavetrade 2000.... Quite a fucking title to start. Reminds me of Death Race 2000, only instead of the imagined future of that film, we get human trafficking in our future instead. Makes perfect sense to me. Doesn't matter if its 2000 or 2012. Artwork and layout is excellent and visually stimulating; the kind of images I want to see, accompanied with the deeper content to match. Included lyrics add their perfect dimension to the disc and I found some very keen lines in them, simple yet very effective. "You have nothing left to lose. You have nothing left to win  Waiting for the blue prince to come, rescue and take you back to Serbia before the rotten lifestyle you were forced to live dumps you in the lake like a bag of stones" Harsh sentiments I like to read and hear. Absolutely sick presentation and authentic sounds. Brutal and insightful, one way to do Power Electronics.

andy vomit

GNAWED - terminal epoch
MAILBOMB SOLUTION - F.C.
STRANGLED COP - demo
SKIN GRAFT - wet engines
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

acsenger

Experimental Products - Prototype plus Garage Tracks (2CD, Vinyl-on-Demand, 2012)

The worst purchase of recent times. Not being familiar with but intrigued by minimal synth, I ordered this double CD and got much less than I had hoped for. Not counting the vocals, some of the tracks are pretty good, some are OK and some are pretty bad; always synths and a drum machine. But the vocals tend to ruin even the good songs. The singer doesn't have much of a voice, and when (luckily only occasionally) he's joined by a second vocalist, it's nearly unlistenable. The second guy's voice is so bad I'm shocked he was allowed near the microphone. The lyrics are stupid at times too (there's a song about left handed people, for example). All in all, a disappointing foray into minimal synth for me. I'll try my luck with Crash Course in Science next time, or John Bender.

P-K

imho Experimental Products are rather good in the crap-filled seas of 'minimal wave'
http://youtu.be/a8PxZRRf654 but it is and will be basic synthpop

John Bender is much more experimental, harsh, less pop....nice set on VOD
http://youtu.be/mMzwfMgchW4

acsenger

Quoteimho Experimental Products are rather good in the crap-filled seas of 'minimal wave'

I should've mentioned I haven't yet given enough time to CD2 of the Prototype... set, and I also have the Tracks to Glow in the Dark 2CD set which, again, I need to listen to more but so far I like it better than Prototype...

ImpulsyStetoskopu

TBC Chicago 2 (Wachsender Prozess 2007) CD-R

Today received in very huge parcel as effect of big deal trade. One of the first after listening and I must say this is very good work. It should be issued on CD or LP. One, very long (over 79 minutes) composition where were mixed harsh noise with tape loops and many turnbalism scratches, random collages and field recordings based on  rhythms of machines. Highly recommended.

absurdexposition

batch o' Phage stuff arrived the other day:

Barrikad - We Make Nihilists Smile Again CD (was tossed in for free and it was a great surprise)
The Cherry Point - Misery Guts CD
Minotaur - Obsession CD
Nyodene D - Caged Dog / Common Criminal 7"

tape deck is broken so that's all I've gotten to so far

other stuff:
Jason Lescalleet - The Pilgrim (masterpiece)
Jason Lescalleet - Music for Magnetic Tape
Atrax Morgue - Exterminate
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

XXX

Quote from: acsenger on July 25, 2012, 05:07:03 PM
Quoteimho Experimental Products are rather good in the crap-filled seas of 'minimal wave'

I should've mentioned I haven't yet given enough time to CD2 of the Prototype... set, and I also have the Tracks to Glow in the Dark 2CD set which, again, I need to listen to more but so far I like it better than Prototype...

prototype is my favorite synth pop record ever. to each his own i suppose.

FreakAnimalFinland

ORGASMIC RESPONSE UNIT "Lesbian Hospital Orgasmic Response Unit"-2x tape
Phage
Solid harsh noise. Two quite short tapes.. would these be C-20? C-30? But each track has a difference. Especially vivid metal junk noise on 2nd tape. Neat silkscreen covers in oversized box. Hardly anything memorable, simply decent listening.

Baculum ‎– XXY tape
Phage
Didn't care much for this. C-20 is short enough to not consider it waste of time, but the lack of punch and lack of brutality is often worst qualities in "pedal noise". Yeah, distortion, yeah, feedbacks and fuzzy noises... but it never sounds LOUD or coming with proper pressure. Nice covers, though.

MB & MO "spiritual noises" CD
Old Europa Cafe
huh huh, what a turd. That was my first impression, but luckily it got better. ltd 300 copies digipak of "italian legends" is a selling point which hardly convinces me anymore. 5 tracks, three are waste of time and 1 nice and 1 good. Info says:
-Loops [Ancient Loops], Sounds [Modern Metals And Futuristic Waves] – M.B.*
-Mixed By [Final Sound Manipulation, Masterful Amalgam And Mixing] – Gianluca Favaron
-Synthesizer, Loops, Effects [Noise Effects] – M.O.*
Which makes me wonder... So, is this actually Gianluca Favaron (Lasik Surgery etc) record where MO and MB are the sources & sellingpoints? Noise sounds itself are most often weak. The keyboard loops and modern metals sound lame. Easily longest and the best track is the last one, where cosmic mellow synth droning is combined to static lo-fi noise. It is more of kraut/cosmic muzak than PE or industrial, but nevetheless it works the best. If you look for interesting and strong sounds, search elsewhere. If you have still been checking out what these guys have been doing, this ain't the worst choice.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

IRM "Oedipus Dethroned" CD
Cold Meat
Is it 12 years already?!? Fuck. I remember when it came, I thought after Red album this was just too nice. But hardly. It's IRM still taking the steps from "traditional" european industrial-pe type of stuff towards originality. Less experimental than what they are now. It's good listening.

Halthan "I'm your enemy" CD/tape
Filth & Violence
Listened this few times. I did listen it in advance and now when it was released. Halthan is one of those difficult things where I'm still on edge of what to think about it. While I appreciate his efforts in live theatrics which very few bother to do anymore, at the same time they have not been totally successful. His older cleaner stuff lacked some dirt, but then dirtier live stuff lacked the composition & distinctive sounds of old style. Now the new CD is closer to live stuff. Assisted by Bizarre Uproar, sonic quality is leaning A LOT to that direction. While it's welcome addition of rugged violence as opposed to software synth throbbing, perhaps noisiness hides the "euro pe" quality of Halthan little bit too much? It's not bad, but I have this gut feeling of Halthan being able to be much more than it has been so far. Maybe next?!? As band has political content, I hope clearer pronouncing for vocals. Not just aaarrggh!! aaarrggh!! aaarrg!!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

acsenger

Quoteprototype is my favorite synth pop record ever. to each his own i suppose.

Today I listened to CD 1 of Tracks to Glow in the Dark and I liked it more than Prototype. I won't be listening to it a lot though.

Peterson

Amph "Rapport Om Blinda" C24 - Sprachlos Verlag

One word: beautiful. Industrial/noise/drone sounds executed with mystical perfection. Definitely some of the best stuff I've heard recently that uses many different "instruments" to achieve the sound.  File alongside One Dark Eye, Total, stuff of that nature. Better, in my opinion. Brings to mind images of some middle-eastern desert. Perhaps consumption of opiates in Muslim countries. Really, really looking forward to hearing "Oar Under Vatten" and the split with SSRI, ordered both today. I recommend buying all three at once, along with any SSRI you can find.

STREETMEAT

Quote from: Peterson on July 27, 2012, 01:20:23 AM
Amph "Rapport Om Blinda" C24 - Sprachlos Verlag

One word: beautiful. Industrial/noise/drone sounds executed with mystical perfection. Definitely some of the best stuff I've heard recently that uses many different "instruments" to achieve the sound.  File alongside One Dark Eye, Total, stuff of that nature. Better, in my opinion. Brings to mind images of some middle-eastern desert. Perhaps consumption of opiates in Muslim countries. Really, really looking forward to hearing "Oar Under Vatten" and the split with SSRI, ordered both today. I recommend buying all three at once, along with any SSRI you can find.

agreed. track on Nordöstra Malmö is great as well.

as for me:
herz jühning - miasma
maska genetik quarantine
kosmoloko
Silent Abuse 7"
Henrik Rylander -The Horror
Muslimgauze-Azzazin
Croatian Amor- The Mars Quarter
Croatian Amor- Brother, Sister
Repeater/PTM/Mountain of Piss/Gourmet Shit Scene split c90.
Antipakt-Fuck Them Where They Breath