PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

eh eh.. excuse me for the total tape mania!

WORKDEATH "excuse me but I think..." tape
Three songs of Lenin
Two tracks of powerful and very linear pieces of noise-drone. Basically noisy and textured in ways of distortion and dirt, but all in all very relaxing and harmonic flow and tonality. Comes with hair pins and nice j-card.

LR "Pole And Wire" tape
Posh Isolation
Huh, second LR tape? I think so. 2009 release and this is Posh Isolation 007! Short C-10 with utmost white-noise hiss on first side and vocals/feedback noise on other. Well - if you say it simply. It's not yet the best LR material obviously, but still good to check out what exactly was going on on very earliest posh isolation releases! Was just checking discogs, and I guess I would have to check my shelves, but I believe I'd have all the early stuff there somewhere...

LIMEPIT "Infinite Cancer" 2x tape
Posh Isolation
The original Copenhagen trio who formed Posh Isolation, is behind this project. Christian Stadsgaard, Klaus H. Hansen and Loke Rahbek. Klaus left the label at some point and this project also did only this (PI #009) and split LP with Skullflower. Very charming lo-fi sound, each c. 15 minute track per side is different from another. Some more psychedelic. Some harder and with vocals. Some droning and noisy. As it's not really review I'm writing here (just brief playlist comment), I reserve right to be very vague of content. Nevertheless, if you know what these 3 people did with their project (at the time), and throw all in mix, this is pretty much logical outcome! Especially those who appreciate live interaction and live feel to noise where small "flaws" or spontaneous elements are best part of it, this is the stuff to get!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: Noiseape on April 03, 2014, 08:46:34 PM

-FABIO FRIZZI: CITY OF THE LIVING DEATH: soundtrack LP (red vinyl)

just put it on my player
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FreakAnimalFinland

FFH "To Find Men" tape
Hospital 190
Short tape single from FFH. One side with more diverse and noisy material ending with good vocals. B-side basically monotonic electronic signal and female talking about sex trafficking issues. Good to flip tape around few times, especially if you're into subject matter of...  female misery, heh..

SQUAMATA "Cumshot Wounds" tape
harsh head rituals
2007 tape of Finnish harsh noise duo. I feel kind of bad for stashing 60 minutes of great unreleased Squamata works for half decade already. But well, maybe it'll be out someday soon?! Been talks with both members about it. This tape, solid heavy blown out harsh noise with strong energy and drive, but also massive static element to it.

MANIA "Hate Like Hell" tape
Gaping Hole
I've commented many Mania releases on playlist during the years. It seems kind of pointless to say more than Mania has always been good, and also unique! Easy to recognize style & sound, and even at some "lazy" moments, it has obscure charm what transforms those moments also great.

HARD SKIN "Half Eaten By Dogs" tape
Gaping Hole
Mystery harsh noise tape on GH. No info of its creator, but careful ears may recognize hints of style of sounds what theoretically is very anonymous harsh noise, but something there, especially on bass frequencies may give hint who it might be!

HAARE "Psychedelic Funeral" tape
Abisko
Noisier side of Haare. Not really harsh noise, but perhaps among Haare discography one of the closest things to border "proper" noise release. Maybe it was kind of designed for Abisko label responsible for many great noise tapes? Two c. 15 minutes tracks, already god damn 8 years old tape! But very much timeless and would perhaps fit be even new Haare release!

UMPIO "Loinen" tape

Zerga
Huh! I picked this up from pile of pretty much anonymous tapes. I don't think I ever even listened this before? 2009 released C-15, what has no text in cover, paint splattered anonymous tape too. Only when you open tiny flyer like insert, you realize its actually Umpio tape! Mono junk noise, not even near as great what he has done later, but kind of neat to find out Finnish obscurities from own shelves, hah!

PRURIENT / KEVIN DRUMM "All are guests in house of the lord" tape
Hospital
In 2007 they did tape and CD of this. I prefer to listen the tape, since I think the digital crystallic clarity didn't really benefit Prurient very well. Dubbing that stuff on tape helps a lot! I think 2006 Pleasureground album kind of took vast amount of ideas what Prurient was then recycling for a while. I don't feel there is THAT much to be done with simple keyboard tone. Even if here are good vocal bits and also actually composed noisy songs (6 tracks in 40 mins), often strongest element of track remains sound, what appears like one key of digital keyboard "organ" is pushed down and driven through distortion and delay. Is it that, or is it something else, I think when texture and interesting throbs & oscillations and such are lacking, the sound simply is unimaginative in role of good noise. Yeah, I know its more of conceptual work and not always meant to be interesting noise musically. Still, when dubben on tape, analogue format and slight decay of digital "perfection" adds little here. It makes release worth revisit occasionally, even if not being best of either artist.

DEAD BLOOMERS "Outcalls" tape
Cipher
Maybe best DB I have heard so far? Couple times flipped the sides and I like the forceful rhythm and vocals, where songs bound slowly forward with kind of modern post-industrial euro heavy electronic feel mixed to perhaps 2007'ish Prurient (design and lyrical style) and even later days Slogun comes to my mind for vocal delivery of 2nd side ("My choice!! My choice!! I am artificially erect tomorrow!! Bloody-minded I seek" = style of writing and screaming of "I" & "me"). Handmade special packaging with couple inserts including lyrics and art. Perhaps the relatively clean sound remains somewhat little obsctale to praise this totally, but any fan of "contemporary power electronics" that's more technologically oriented & composed as opposed to rugged filth, very recommended!

FreakAnimalFinland

last tapes for some days..

LEBENSFADEN "Die Vollendete schönheit" tape
Lust Vessel
Heavy and dark as fuck electronic torment! Throbbing and forceful synth oscillations, but always more of noisy heavy electronics than anything "psychedelic". Also while being noisy, it's not to be connected into "noise scene synth stuff" as much as clearly lineage of industrial culture. Instrumental pieces, 3 per side, which change abruply without pauses or fades. There is plenty of improvisational element here, but always firm "composed" element as well. Really good design on cover, really good sound, just for my taste.

FRANS DE WAARD "Arrel / Juur" tape
Banned prod.
Been listening lots of these old Banned tapes. I think next week should dig up from archives some old Banned prod tapes! New ones has been really good stuff, though. Diversity of artists. I skipped many of C-10s, and favored 20-30 mins tapes to have "more value for money" (hehe..). This C-20 of FdW is Korg Ms20, shortwave, notorious kaos pad, walkmans. I guess there are bunch of field recordings as source. Insects and overall "outdoors" feel that's electrified and mixed into something else. I think this captures well atmosphere of many of these Banned tapes. It's not that they'd be remarkable albums, but short experiments of ideas that work out well for exactly what they are: Short tapes.

hkso

FORZA ALBINO: BLACK DOG (tape - Freak Animal)
best works I've heard from this group. the previous 12" had some elements I wasn't so impressed with but here it really works all the way. simple and effective power electronics.

WILL OVER MATTER: TOISESTA MAAILMASTA (tape - Freak Animal)
very minimal recordings based on radio transmissions and tapes. I like it a lot but wish I could understand what they are talking about....  b-side has some more static electronics building up hypnotic atmosphere. also really liked the "Phenomenal Highways" LP from him.

SEWER ELECTION: SHARED BODIES (tape - Harsh Head Rituals)
revisited this classic tape from Dan. without any doubt this is my favourite period of Sewer Election.

SEWER ELECTION & TRERIKSRÖSET: KILLING FOR NORRLAND (tape - Harsh Head Rituals)
"all instrument as my cock." what more is there to say?

UNCODIFIED: DRUG STREET (tape - Nil By Mouth)
italian power electronics dealing with the inferno of addiction and drug abuse. done in a convincing way with good photographs and lyrics. the vocal input of Marco Deplano never fails but music doesn't really keep my interest all the way.

CALIGULA031: BACHELORETTE PARTY (tape - Institute of Paraphilia Studies)
I guess Depla is still full of disgust after his years in the UK... here he continues to dissect the deviated behaviour of modern world and he manages to do it in most unique way. Nothing to complain about except the disgusting perfumed smell of panties in the boxset, altering even more senses than the music and lyrics. Whole box reeks. Caligula031 continues to be a project that push the conceptual possibilities of power electronics further for each release.

cr

Had a great weekend listening to these:
Vasilisk: Whirling dervishes
Narbenerde: No more empathy
Die Reitenden Leichen: Sieben Schwärzungen
Consumer Electronics: Nobody's ugly
Consumer Electronics: Crowd Pleaser
Hollow Earth: Dog days of the Holocaust
Ulex Xane: Forgotten Genocides
Exterminant: Cheap and basic hatred
Shift: Altamont rising
Croatian Amor: Mermaids of Jadransko/Vagina Sword
Krökta Rum: Tankar & Syner Del 2
Azoikum: Ropemaster - Dedicated to Gerard John Schaefer
Enklav: 2
Caen: Middlefield
Nyodene D: Mouths that reap the harvest
Sewer Election: Vittra Sönder
White Hospital: Holocaust
Hypnosis: Moon of death and other recent works
Dead Body Collection/Placenta Lyposuction: Split tape
Streicher: ... Side of 'War against Society'
A downloaded version of White Power- comp.

urall

Quote from: cr on April 06, 2014, 07:59:50 PM
Had a great weekend listening to these:

Hypnosis: Moon of death and other recent works

How's this one ?

Ashley Choke

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 04, 2014, 02:33:55 PM

LIMEPIT "Infinite Cancer" 2x tape

Always wondered how come this tape(s) never really caught any attention. Of all the early releases I would say this is easily one of the best. I think L+C just only sold last copies a year or two ago.

Andrew McIntosh

The reign of Radigue continues unabated in my abode, the most recent examples being two double album releases from Lovely, "Songs Of Milarepa" and "Jetsun Mila". The former features a lot of spoken word, actually, particularly the first album. Extracts from the "Mila Kabum", as read in Tibetan by Luma Kunga Rinpoche and in English by Robert Ashley, are pretty much the foreground for Radigue's soft drones to back up. This Milarepa comes across as some kind of aesthetic superman, not even requiring to eat or drink due to his reliance on supernatural powers. It's all very interesting, albeit slightly smug, and I've gained a recent interest in Ashley's dulcet drawl, but I much preferred the second part of the second album when mere words are discarded and looped samples of Tibetan chanting is used to compliment the electronic drones. That's much more like it.
  "Jetsun Mila", however, is two lengthy pieces of much-more-like-it, carefully composed and constructed, slowly unveiling with each element fitting succinctly into the next. Pretty much Radigue at work, unnecessary to burble on about, and always welcoming.

Insofar as that small area of music that involves blatant immitation of better known and better skilled musicians that actually is listenable, almost despite itself, is concerned - I've been returning to Adelbert Von Deyen's two earlier albums, "Sternzeit" and "Nordburg", both on mp3 rips. Taking the sound of Klaus Schulze without the actual ability, these albums end up with a much more minimal and somewhat harder edged sound to Schulze's intricate floating. The result being as if latter period Nord decided to really try hard to sound like Klaus Schulze. Completely derivative - but for my present tastes it works well. I understand this Von Deyen went in a more "New Age" direction after these earlier releases and I'm sure I have no interest in that, but the material on these has just the right balance of pulsing synths, barely existent melodies and space-synth sounds that manage to exist in their own right, despite their clueless and blatant imitation of better material.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

Sniper "Praise & prelude to a new world" CD
Sniper "Waiting For the good times" CD
Classic Finn RAC with some of the craziest vocal delivery of ralli-englanti. It always amazes me how someone could do stuff like this, and that's one of reasons why it's so great.

Brigad Wotan "Sverige i brand" LP
Melodic swedish RAC. Very good stuff with classic sound, that scandinavians could wait from Pluton Svea / Mistreat etc kind of bands. Nice hand drawn cover too, always bonus in todays world where this genre especially is plagued with some of the absolute horrid album covers.

No Agony "Thru years of glory & Struggle 1986-1989" CD
Swedish RAC at the crudest form! From ashes of hc/punk band Kollaps was born band that had basically one idea, and one idea only. This is repeated though 27 track collection. Same tempo, pretty much same couple chord riffs, and vocals being such a 1+1=2 level "boots and braces - oi oi oi" slogans one has heard maybe zillion times. But maybe not yet in '86. Is it good? Well, it's certainly too much for one CD. I think I got the LP version of this with less tracks already before? Not sure why I got the CD, but all in all, it's hard to find this simple stuff anymore. Recommended to those who think early No Remorse or Legion88 needs to get little more sloppy and sing about less complex themes, heh..

Current 93 "Haunted Waves, Moving Graves" CD
Song from vinyl version was played on Muh Mur radio broadcast, and caught my ear instantly. Decided to get 2nd hand copy via discogs and option of pic 12" with shorter edited tracks of half cheaper CD with much longer tracks, I decided to go for latter. Calm, relaxing experimental works with melancholic violin adding needed highlights to make it some of the better "non-classic era"(?) C93 for me.

David E. Williams "I have Forgotten How to love you" CD
Cthulhu
Jesus Christ! When did I get this? Not sure, but Cthulhu label somehow interests me, despite can't see that much music releases what really appeals to me. But this? Some of the absolute horrid rubbish I have listened for loong time. Couple decent lyrical bits, but nothing else to justify spending time with keyboard music and out of tune mumbling.

ConcreteMascara

Mutant Video - Missing Fingers cassette - the audial equivalent of late 70's Cronenberg. Easy listening industrial? I don't know what to call it but i'm digging it

lots of Pig Heart Transplant 7"s - love this band so much

Column of Heaven - Failures / Romance mp3s - much industrial/power electronics sound to this project. a nice mix of pulsing drones, guitar work and beastly vocals. i'd love to get my hands on the original cassettes.

Dead in the Dirt - The Blind Hole LP - solid crust/grind. super crunchy production and lots of squealing feedback. didn't listen to this much when i first bought it, but really enjoying it now.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
Recommended to those who think early No Remorse or Legion88 needs to get little more sloppy and sing about less complex themes, heh..

Never really appreciated WP-bands, for political reasons sure, but mostly due to lack of ideas, talent and energy. Even bands people who know the genre recommend me almost always dissapoint. But this actually sounds promising.

ANDROPHILIA

Zoviet France ‎- Shouting At The Ground

i fell it really nocturnal. probably best album from ZF
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Baglady on April 08, 2014, 01:17:44 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
Recommended to those who think early No Remorse or Legion88 needs to get little more sloppy and sing about less complex themes, heh..

Never really appreciated WP-bands, for political reasons sure, but mostly due to lack of ideas, talent and energy. Even bands people who know the genre recommend me almost always dissapoint. But this actually sounds promising.

Well, many people confuse rawness of RAC bands with rawness found in punk or hc. There isn't that much bands what are raw in cool ways among RAC. Within punk/hc you find people who often involve artistic element, for example rough distortion that's appreciated due texture it gives for music. Rawness in RAC tends to be due severe lack of talent in anything technological and playing instruments or writing songs. Some people find it disappointing when raw sound of RAC band was not like big muff distortion and 4-tracker all-on-red neat overdrive. However, I tend to appreciate the 100% natural, where nobody even tried to do anything. Just did what they can and result is what it is.

NIDING "Afgudasgymning" tape
Järtecknet
Shoegaze post-BM with howling vocals. A-side pretty good, B-side reminds me why I dislike vast majority of shoegaze. Shoes aren't that interesting one would want to keep watching them this long and repeating same melody pattern so many times it really really gets old..

LUST FOR YOUTH / WAR "The glass house etiquette" split tape
Posh Isolation 060
Ridiculously short tape. Just tape single of one track each. But in others hand, not really complaining, as for me dose of this type of music works well in 7" format, so why not "tape single". LFY his typical niche. Melodic toyful keyboard melodies and beats with ultra flegmatic effect processed vocals, all blown up with overdriven tape sound. WAR is pretty much identical. Same kind of vocals, more distortion, melodies just a notch less joyful, and rhythm is less danceable. But if one would have listened this without watching covers, I could have mistaken this to be LFY solo tape.

LUST FOR YOUTH "Neon Lights Appear" tape
Posh Isolation 061
More of this. I think this is better of the two tapes that came same time. Neat cover, nice lyrics. Although I must say I'm not such a fan of these vocals. Of course its better than stupid "indie pop singing", but perhaps something more diverse for vocals would mean band doesn't burn out its style too quick. Which I think it already has kind of done...

FLESH SPEAR "raping soil" tape
Posh Isolation 058
Noisecore meets sort of "noiserock". Buried vocals, ultimate feedback & distortion wall from strings. Basically just distant rumble of drum beat defines what kind of "music" it is. Fast parts maybe the best. It's just pure instrument distorder. Slow parts, not bad. Kind of total noise rubbish one would blast in unplanned sessions in severe intoxication. B-side is perhaps slight better due variation in sound and balance of instruments.

P-K

on heavy rotation :
Te/Dis 'comatic drift' lp ....trademark Galakt-sound, very catchy & poppy but also pretty heavy in sound (massive synth basslines)...unique voice (the synthpop-version of Tony Wakeford? lol)...
imho certainly another take on their 'angst pop' brand. love it.

blows away the new Herz Jühning 7" for shure...just 'good', not the same impact as previous 7"...