http://www.hansonrecords.net

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: RELAY FOR DEATH
Title: BIRTH OF AN OLDER, MUCH MORE UGLY CHRIST
Catalog #: HN203
Format: LP
Edition: 300 copies
Price $16.00

This shit is DARK...  and I'm not talking about some fucking "I sleep during the day" dark...I'm not talking some "Cannibal Corpse shit - I'm a fucking mutilator" dark....And I'm not talking "I'm a noise dude into black metal" dark...  I'm talking total fucking END OF THE WORLD shit...like...everyone is going to die and it's gonna be fucking TERRIBLE.

Recorded in 2009 by sisters Roxann and Rachal Spikula while in a hospital doing some fucked up health study where all they could drink was Shasta for like 2 weeks.  NO JOKE!  Master tape arrived wrapped in a duct taped hospital gown with my address written on it in sharpie.

Side A:  The tape becomes unpaused and kicks in with a menacing organ drone that mutates into the lo-fi skree of an empty room, eventually becoming a swirling abyss of tape hiss and the sound of nothing happening in a hospital... Distant creaks, buzz, and hums littered with hiss and garbage sound layered into a very unsettling frenzied drone.

Side B:  A crunchy noise inferno that eventually leads us to what sounds to me like being in outer space watching the earth exploding.  As you watch everything we know of destroyed, a saddening descending synth wave appears, buried by blasts of destroyed earth.  It ends... and you are disturbed.  

Limited to 300 copies.  Pitch black vinyl with pitch black labels. Heavy duty black and silver silkscreened covers with the 'Hanson Droll Flaps'

Take a break from yer most recent mediocre synth bliss out tape and take a trip back to the real fucking world...where everything fucking SUCKS.

MP3 Samples:
SIDE 1 (Excerpt)
http://www.hansonrecords.net/excerpt/RFD1%20excerpt.mp3
SIDE 2 (Excerpt)
http://www.hansonrecords.net/excerpt/RFD2%20excerpt.mp3

Artist: DARKSMITH
Title: TOTAL VACUUM
Catalog #: HN208CD
Format: CD
Edition: 500 copies
Price $10.00

CD reissue of quickly sold out debut vinyl from California sound artist Tom Darksmith.  Crude musique concrète made using tapes, voice, records, radio, guitar, drums, objects, domestic and field recordings.  Assembled on cassette four track 2008-2009.  A disturbing collection of sounds...lots of sounds...unknown sounds...I have no clue what is going on on this record....Tom says there is guitar, drums, etc on this...but I don't hear them...what I hear is:  The sound of my neighbor weedwacking, the sound of being zipped into a suitcase then shipped via train, ghost voices roaming in sewers, the sound of riding in a helicopter with mid-grade noise reduction earmuffs on, a shitty metal door being locked on a crew of mumbling idiots...and every now and again...a garbage disposal....this is what I hear....no clue what you will hear.  A total mystery of perfectly paced organization of dirt sound...not harsh...not mellow...just dirty, weird, and confusing...and to quote the sleevenotes of the first few QUEEN LP's....'No Synthesizers!'.  
Recommended for fans of Yeast Culture, Agog, Joe Colley, Graham Lambkin, Jason Lescalleet, Hands To, etc...
Packaged in a black poly jewelcase.

MP3 samples:
Shared Empty Spaces (excerpt)
http://www.hansonrecords.net/excerpt/Shared_Empty_Spaces_excerpt.mp3
Everything Is Breaking (excerpt)
http://www.hansonrecords.net/excerpt/Everything_Is_Breaking_excerpt.mp3

Review of LP from FOXY DIGITALIS:
http://www.digitalisindustries.com/foxyd/reviews.php?which=5460

"From the needle drop, I listened intently, drawn into Darksmith's assemblages. When the side ended, I flipped the record, anxious to hear more. With the scrape of the final run-out groove, I was tempted to start again on the first side, but I paused and allowed the album to reverberate and settle in my memory. Below are thoughts and observations from that first listen.

"Shared Empty Space" broods with slowed vocal sounds interspersed with short bursts of static. The higher scrapes sit atop the murk of teeming murmurs and rustles of objects and people. The murmurs drop out signaling a way into "Six Interiors." Sounds of machinery slow and are overtaken by skitters of tape and breath. Small pops break through the layers of sound calling to mind a small fire refracted by memory, and the intimate lack of distance between source sound and recording knits the pieces together.

A pause precedes "The Phantom Other Half." There's more room here. Repeated tapping of feet or hands or other things goes on behind a revving engine that could just as easily be a slowed purr; the taxonomy is unimportant. The internal rhythms work around each other, coexisting without progression or pattern. "Now, A Blue Period" drops in with a hiss and clatter that obscures a loop I may have heard before. Or, perhaps I'm mistaken. There's a melody somewhere beneath it, but I need to hear the run-out groove to be sure.

"Your Bridges Are Already Burned" begins with hinges and a door slam. Pots seem to be scraped in the midst of a distorted streetscape. A hazy melody hangs far behind the dry crackle at the start of "Everything is Breaking." It grows more ominous with queasy loops and buzzes. As with the preceding pieces, Darksmith avoids progression in favor of a sense of suspension.

Hearing the record from start to finish alone immersed in sounds I knew but could not make sense of, there was a delicate unease that felt familiar as it grew and dissipated. As the closing title suggests, "The Night Stretches Way Out." 10/10 -- Howard Martin"

UP NEXT:
NEW HANSON RECORDS WEBSITE!!!

Ashley Choke

As dude'ified as those descriptions are. They actually made me interested.

When will the next edition of Underground Series see the light of day?