Isolation music

Started by wash in blood, May 11, 2016, 10:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wash in blood

See next post

V.T.R

For me it's almost all darker experimental and ambient music. Mostly because I always listen to that kind of music alone or with headphones.

I can still remember one hangover morning over ten years ago when I walked in the center of the city during really nice warm summer morning and listened Coil's Live two - Moscow with headphones. Felt completely isolated from everything even though there was people all around me. It wasn't any teenage angsty "no one will ever understand me" isolation but more like dreamy "I am in the movie" feeling. Then I realised that darker side of ambient works perfectly even in sunny summer days. Heh!

Ashley C's Drift also summon's great feeling of complete isolation for me.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: wash in blood on May 11, 2016, 10:41:12 PM
What are your favorite/go-to albums for when you feel completely alone and want to shut out the world?

All of them.
Shikata ga nai.

cutter

Aparently i'd rather choose some power elegtronics instead of ambient. I just can feel really isolated by a soundwall in my ears haha

Duncan

Putting any kind of music on for solo listening is in some way an act of shutting out the world...I'm not sure if I have anything I go for in order to feel especially isolated or shut out.  But, on rare and specific occasions - usually late at night - where I'm feeling pleasantly quiet and solitary (i.e. no noise coming from room mates, neighbours, etc) I find long form, minimal improvisation is a lot of fun.  Ultra lower case EAI type shit or very minimal drone.  Young, Conrad etc.  Beautiful times.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: wash in blood on May 11, 2016, 10:41:12 PM
What are your favorite/go-to albums for when you feel completely alone and want to shut out the world? Recordings that invoke or complement feelings of loneliness, isolation, etc.

For me, ritual and dark ambient seem to work well...Aghast, select Zoät·Aon, the first Silent Hill soundtrack (Akira Yamaoka) and some black metal like Xasthur.

Not sure about the feelings, but my personal go-to album for sitting by myself reading or just staring stupidly in front of myself in a candle-lit room is Equimanthorn's "Nindinnuga Nimshimshargal Enllira", so I guess I'm with you when it comes to the ritual stuff. Then again, Grunt's Recycled-tape for RRR, or just plain classical/baroque music can also do the trick. It's very much a matter of mood.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

cr

I always shut out the world and listen to records alone. So it's also - all of them - for me.

But I would like to mention the Thomas Köner 3CD set (with Nunatak, Teimo, Permafrost) especially for this topic. These are great for isolationist listening sessions.

Marko-V

Something abstract, drone, dark ambient --- and absolutely no vocals!

Duality

For me, I generally go with something like Thomas Ligotti's The Unholy City. Dark poetry with relaxing ambiance makes me feel like if I close my eyes I'm the only person in the world.

l.b.

Quote from: cr on May 13, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Thomas Köner 3CD set (with Nunatak, Teimo, Permafrost)

yeah this. plus bill laswell/mick harris "somnific flux" and mick harris/nigel ayers/john everall "mesmeric enabling device" and most importantly Velehentor "dyatlov pass" album

Fluid Fetish

Pendrecki- Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Lustmord- The Monstrous Soul and/or Where the Black Stars Hang
Christian Death- The Path of Sorrows
Dead Reptile Shrine- Complete Discography
True Werwolf- Complete Discography (Eine Symphonie Des Grauens Live 2004 track ESPECIALLY, the first 12 minutes especially, completely captures the feeling/essence of the Nosferatu concept, for me at least)
Paysage D'hiver- Complete Discography
Mutiilation- Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Mutiilation- Remains of a Ruine Dead Cursed Soul
Mortiis- The Song of a Long Forgotten Ghost
Raison D'Etre- Everything
Trollmann av Ildtoppberg- The Forest of Doom
Siouxsie and the Banshees- Juju or Join Hands
Throbbing Gristle- Mission of Dead Souls
Einsterzende Neubaten- Kollaps
Xenophobic Ejaculation- Complete Discography
Aghast- hexerei im zwielicht der finsternis

could go on for a lot more...Peter Sotos 911 call sound collages on repeat.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 12, 2016, 02:07:17 AMAll of them.
That was my initial reaction, but I was likely being pedantic.  Contemplative...call it what you will.

Piano music is really contemplative and isolating for me; possibly more so than any other type.  It's a really moody thing.  Like the massive John Cage series on MDG interpreted by the best avant-garde pianist I've heard, Steffen Schleiermacher.  But Hans-Joachim Roedelius - Selbstportrait VI The Diary of (1995) was my first thought here.  The entire Selbstportrait series comes recommended, but that album is the focal point for me.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on May 17, 2016, 09:53:31 PM

Most Les Légions Noires works fine as "isolation music", I'd say. I just found out there is a new Belketre album out, just last year.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: Stoa on May 18, 2016, 09:07:05 AM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on May 17, 2016, 09:53:31 PM

Most Les Légions Noires works fine as "isolation music", I'd say. I just found out there is a new Belketre album out, just last year.

You're definitely right, I could easily just put LLN in general there instead of my two favorite Mutiilation records as every project/band from the circle is ideal isolation music. Belketre with the Ambre demo and their split with VT, Venambre and especially Vzaeurvbtre which is some of the most incredibly horrific music ever recorded. Out of tune violins sound perfect.