Your Favorite Metal Releases.

Started by RyanWreck, January 11, 2012, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley Choke

RyanWreck

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 12, 2012, 05:18:09 AM
Strictly by the music, having looked at your list, it would make absolutely no sense to me if you didn't like Kill 'Em All a lot.  Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and And Justice?  I understand why you might not.

Listened to the first half of this today and yea it is pretty good. You can here some Venom influence for sure. "Phantom Lord" seems to be my favorite track as of yet. If I find a cheap copy for a couple bucks on Amazon I'll probably throw it in with an order.

*EDIT* Found one for $4.99 and grabbed it since I was getting a Bathory LS shirt and the "Battle Cry" CD by Omen. $31 with shipping is not bad at all.

ARKHE

Battle Cry is an amazing album. Have you heard that first HIRAX demo from 1984? It absolutely kills.

Henrik III

Quote from: JV on January 13, 2012, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: RyanWreck on January 13, 2012, 04:57:25 PM
Quote from: halthan on January 13, 2012, 05:20:22 AM
Celtic Frost

All of it?

Hey, after all - Cold Lake is not so bad!

Not so great either but I always loved the theory that herr Fischer though the German Poison had moved to LA, hit it big and he wanted to do the same.

Otherwise wondering about the all raved (semi-)contemporary black metal (well, there are a few) that's not seen here. Katharsis rules, though!

Jaakko V.

Quote from: Henrik III on January 13, 2012, 08:58:16 PM
Quote from: JV on January 13, 2012, 06:29:41 PM
Celtic Frost

All of it?

Hey, after all - Cold Lake is not so bad!

Not so great either but I always loved the theory that herr Fischer though the German Poison had moved to LA, hit it big and he wanted to do the same.

Otherwise wondering about the all raved (semi-)contemporary black metal (well, there are a few) that's not seen here. Katharsis rules, though!

Yeah, not so great, but better than Katharsis anyway, hah! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI74tyUefY4 - It's impossible for them to totally get rid of the morbid riffology. (1:07 - 1:10).

RyanWreck

I'm not into much contemporary Black Metal. Akitsa is probably the best active BM band around in my opinion closely followed by Peste Noire. I like a few Clandestine Blaze albums and Mgla, but when it comes to BM I am drawn to the so called "first wave", which is more or less just Thrash/Speed Metal. A lot of bands are trying to mimic those sounds these days but fail in so many ways. Midnight from the states is one of the better bands to tackle the sound, adding a more straight up rock approach that reminds me of Tank and Motorhead's call-and-response type of Blues inspired riffing with a solid Black Thrash sound reminiscent of Venom and Bathory. Nekrofilth is great in my opinion, total Slaughter (Canada) worship! I know a lot of people hate Toxic Holocaust but I enjoy his shit, same with Nadiwrath and Aura Noir.

RyanWreck

What are some straight up Death Metal bands from the late 80's-early 90's that some of the more dedicated fans of DM would suggest (bitewerks, I'm looking your way)? I know most of the Swedish stuff, love Bolt Thrower, Possessed, etc. I also listen to a ton of Deathrash (Merciless, Exhorder, Devestation (Texas, USA), Agressor, Death Strike, etc) so I don't need any suggestions in that area. So you can get a sense of what I type of sound I am looking for, the following Death Metal albums are the first which spring to mind when I think of what type of sound I enjoy in my DM:

Nocturnus - "Thresholds"
Rottrevore - "Iniquitous"
Grave - "Into the Grave"
Deceased... - "Luck of the Corpse" & "Fearless Undead Machines"

bitewerksMTB

Katharsis "World Without End" is a huge fave of mine. Along with the follow-up 12". There's a rumour there will be a split Lp with Teitanblood.

In Paris while in a bar with Mikko & Steph from Kickback, a member of a black metal band came up & Steph introduced Mikko throwing in "from Clandestine Blaze" & the guy was SPEECHLESS.

Hellhammer scared the hell out of me when I bought it just based on the coverart. It was just so different & nasty compared to everything else at that time. Voivod's "War and Pain" seemed way different too. Just rough as fuck. I had the cassette release & was fascinated with that one line that I always thought had to be something other than "we'll rape your child...".

When I first got into industrial/noise, most people hated metal but at that time I was bored with it too.

RyanWreck

Which Hellhammer cover are you talking about, "Apocalyptic Raids" or "Demon Entrails"? I thought both of those creatures were nasty little fuckers. All the spikes sticking through them and their genitalia hanging out, dripping and bone thing. Those covers should be scratch and sniff.

THE RITA HN

all KING DIAMOND*
all MERCYFUL FATE*
*(yes - even contemporary)

JUDAS PRIEST - Stained Glass
SCORPIONS - Taken by Force

RyanWreck

Quote from: THE RITA HN on January 14, 2012, 03:39:32 AM
all MERCYFUL FATE*
*(yes - even contemporary)

Definitely. You're the only other person I have really seen admit that. Dead Again was fucking good man (I could have done without one or two songs like "Since Forever" and "Fear"), "The Night" is a banger though! I have yet to listen to 9 fully but from what I do remember of the handful of songs I listened to I don't think anything was bad.

halthan

Celtic Frost

All of it?
Well, "Cold Lake" was kinda lame, heh, but luckily they returned to old style quickly. Warriors´ new band (Triptykon) is also very good.
Anyone heard German band Warhammer ? Total fucking Hellhammer-worshipping, highly recommended !

RyanWreck

Hell yea man I used to own everything (besides Demo's and the "die hard" collector crap) Warhammer put out! I love that band. The Doom Messiah is my favorite but their latest LP from 2009 is amazing too, they never have really changed their sound but rather added different production values like that LP has a thicker heavier sound to it which makes me think a bit more of Celtic Frost or even Satanic Rites.

There was another band named Warhammer from the UK who released a really good demo of Deathrash back in 1985. Check it out...  www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rtx1GQeHJc

You can download it here : http://www.mediafire.com/?nmmwegnzmy4

Henrik III

Quote from: RyanWreck on January 14, 2012, 02:02:36 AM
What are some straight up Death Metal bands from the late 80's-early 90's that some of the more dedicated fans of DM would suggest
Don't know about dedication but some excellent standard death metal bands are Asphyx (new stuff is not bad either), Sadistic Intent and Demigod.

Been very glad about the great young death metal bands here in Finland - Stench of Decay, Vorum, Swallowed, all worth to check.

RyanWreck

Quote from: Henrik III on January 14, 2012, 11:24:01 AM
Quote from: RyanWreck on January 14, 2012, 02:02:36 AM
What are some straight up Death Metal bands from the late 80's-early 90's that some of the more dedicated fans of DM would suggest
Don't know about dedication but some excellent standard death metal bands are Asphyx (new stuff is not bad either), Sadistic Intent and Demigod.

Been very glad about the great young death metal bands here in Finland - Stench of Decay, Vorum, Swallowed, all worth to check.

Sadistic Intent is one of the greatest bands in DM, I don't know how I forgot them. Another band I love, speaking of "sadistic", is Sadistik Exekution. "The Magus" is beyond good with "We Are Death... Fukk You!" following close behind. Also Unleashed who I believe sound pretty damn close to Sadistic Intent, released a slew of great albums in from the early to mid-90's, my favorite is "Shadows in the Deep" that usually gets overshadowed by the debut.