Contagious Orgasm

Started by bogskaggmannen, May 31, 2010, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

Anyone following Mr. Hashimoto's output also from recent years? I think there was some mention of small return to more industrial based sounds on some releases?

I only have the PacRec MCD from last years which is ok for what it is but nowhere near older works. Remember having one or two of the Ant-Zen CDs from late 90's but i've sold them as the impression of them then was a bit uninspiring.

Supposed to be new 12" out on some US label just now also.

FreakAnimalFinland

This topic was originally called "contagious orgasm - later works", but as it didn't seem back then spawn much response, perhaps better to expand it to be about Contagious Orgasm overall.

CONTAGIOUS ORGASM "Loop Floor" 7"
Speeding Across My Hemisphere
1997 recordings, and still excellent. Maybe it's a notch below ultimate classics such as Voltage Controlled Filter CD on TESCO, but nice nevertheless. A-side with something what could be described Z'ev style percussion works mixed with electronic sounds. Other side is even further into abstract sound collages.

CONTAGIOUS ORGASM "Hydrophobia" 7"
Ant-Zen
Take step back few years. 1994. Not only Contagious Orgasm ruled 100%, but also Ant-Zen ruled! These JED series, which I assume separate catalogue number for Japanese bands releases, was all nice. But also the other stuff on main catalogue. Over here C.O. is close to their early sound. It's like all he first was learning on early tapes (known from Industrial Recollections re-issues), was taken even further and finally the peak of enthusiastic creative force was here. And not only that, but also releases packaged in sexual artwork. Bondage. Corcets. Medical images. Samples of females moaning in agonized pleasures. Sound collages very much pre-dating computer era, making the flow and style of sound very very tasty. Nothing here moves liner, or like expected. Composition of each side is spontaneous feel, ruggedness, but INSANE amount of detail and depth and above all, great sounds!! This 7" duration is almost 20 minutes, and little grain appears to be on cut when you approach the center of vinyl, but fucking hell.. it's almost like mini-album. It seems great injustice if stuff like that isn't in-print or available somewhere.  Certainly among his best works.

But no samples, so lets settle for Voltage Controlled Filter clip for those who haven't followed the what band has been doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=728lODcZCqw
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

I do recall that Examination Of Audio Sense got a lot of mixed reviews when it came out (1996), which I could not then understand as I felt it to be a good step up – in almost every possible way -  from prior CO, infusing the dense collage style with a really heavy "industrial-strength" aesthetic... but on subsequent listens, over the years, it did not age all too well- the treasured drear atmosphere to slowly resolve itself into plain, well, drear. Will probably have to listen again soon. Did like it better than the Praxis DB lp from the same period, which came across as a tad overly... smudged.

The earlier CO is definitely where It is At, which is why I could never quite bring myself to comment on this topic. Really really hate some of the more techno flavors he would explore; plain depressing, and not in the good sense.

For my money, the Auto SE-ID 00 anthology could be a fave. Released in 1999, but collecting principally older comp appearances dating back as far as 1989. There are a couple tracks that could be out-takes from Voltage Controlled Filter, and at least a couple tracks that hit that highly detailed, yet always very organic, propensity FreakAnimalFinland is talking about. This is, in fact, the last CO I can remember genuinely liking... yeah, stick to the classics.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on November 13, 2014, 07:04:35 PMFor my money, the Auto SE-ID 00 anthology could be a fave.

Heh. Just noticed that a good portion of the tracks collected on the above release were re-issued just four years ago by our favorite re-presenter of industrial-strength nostalgia.

But was at the same time amazed to discover...

Voltage Controlled Amplifier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7Xi6zxjUg

2014 2xCD on SSSM. So there was to be a mighty tape from SFCR (in '89-90!) and someone dropped the ball? Definitely a thing to be needed.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

acsenger

After reading about it in this thread, I recently got the Loop Floor 7" and I love it. Not being familiar with Contagious Orgasm otherwise, what other material would you suggest? From the thread it seems the Voltage Controlled Filter CD and the Hydrophobia 7" are a must (both are quite expensive, sadly). I'll probably get the Corporal CD, also recommended here.
Also, around what year did the quality of releases start to decrease? It seems there's not much love for later works. What's wrong with them -- are they rhythmic stuff without being experimental?

jadderly

I can recommend the Thin Skinned CD, I really like that one, though I don't think I've heard anything else. I guess this is one of those projects whose extensive discography has always put me off from seeking out more, especially considering everything would be a blind buy.

acsenger

Thanks, I'll probably grab that and one or two more of the reissues on Industrial Recollections.

FreakAnimalFinland

I may be biased to recommend, but I do it anyways: All titles put out by Industrial Recollections is must-have!
Also, I'd recommend to grab some of them preferable sooner than later, because pressings are way smaller than most of Contagious Orgasm. All Industrial Recollections CO titles are merely 200-300 copies. One already sold out from me, couple I have very last copies.

Today listened CONTAGIOUS ORGASM "Voltage Controlled Amplifier "-2xCD. It's partly re-issue, partly unreleased late 80's material. Some stuff appears like there perhaps was a reason why it was originally unreleased, but as soon as things start to flow, it is very good listening. Lots of sound collage, strong abstract industrial feel. I'm not too turned on by graphics. Considering material is late 80's till 1990, then some sort of artsy photos? Old CO graphics are so killer, I have considered (and actually asked permission) to put out couple CO t-shirts based on those Industrial Recollections titles. I don't think anyone would have enough clothing based on bondage/vintage medical visuals?!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

I'd love to have an old school style CO shirt!