lowest of the low, total gutter noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 30, 2010, 10:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Psychodrama stuff is still available from Aes Nihil archives. He also distributes lots of Lisa Suckdog. Some tasty and perhaps not so fully authorized industrial archieval xerox packages available too.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Strömkarlen

Speaking of Lisa Suckdog. I guess Costes needs to mentioned in a thread like this.

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A Circusirus .. 3x7"??
Petri Supply
Don't know where I got this, it had handmade pricetag in $$ to possibly bought it somewhere in US. Anyways. Listened it otherday, wondering what the fuck is this. Packaging is highly confusing. You don't know who is playing, what speed, and... well, I didn't basically even know the name of the release, but due knowing label, took a look at discogs today and it says:
"pressed in edition of 400 in 1991. however, the records and their beautiful silkscreened envelop lay in storage in a basement in Seattle waiting for some as yet undecided element to finish them. then in late 1996, they were finally unleashed, though only 100 copies, as it was decided that each batch of 100 would be a different variation on the set, and work on the each batch would seem to start only well after the last one had sold out. through this long process, Mark Schomburg a.k.a. Abo of Yeast Culture varied the title of the collection as well as of the label, though essentially containing the same material. this is the first edition of 100 and includes a third record by Dada Action Group. this third 7" is actually a conceptual anti-record (a hand altered and painted vinyl record of unknown origin). the artist on each side as well as the speed each side plays at (some are 33 and some are 45) can be figured out by listening to the spoken intros to each side recorded by Mark Andrew Schomburg and John Hubbard. each record does have its own individual sleeve, and all three are contained in a silkscreened envelope which is tied shut with string."

My version, don't know exactly what pressing, has just 2 7"s and the third is just sheet on cardboard with blind writing (embossed dots). Probably as useful as spraypainted anti 7". Don't know what it says, if anything that would make sense. Artwork remind of the recent Hands To "flatline" LP. One can give credit for the artists really crafting these things with ultra detailed level.
So who's in? Smegma, Ultra, Strength Through Joy and Yeast Culture. And while some of the stuff goes into just insane improv. or collage of sonic fart, crude electro-acoustic dirt, drum-machines and guitars with female voice...  some of the material could be simply labeled under amazing gutter noise. So who's who and did I even listen at correct speed? Not sure, but in this context, it seems irrelevant. Amount of total gutter is perhaps too small, and maybe this should have been on topic of obscure compilations. Since it is exactly that. Makes hardly sense most of the time when didn't know who was in. But with knowing who's actually in, new spinning suddenly started to make much more sense. Also about speeds of how it was intended..

FreakAnimalFinland

H.Ö.H. (Fin). Not to be confused with other projects with same name. Icelandic HÖH did nice collaboration with Current 93 for example.
"2P / No More References", wew tape of H.Ö.H. again in quite short time! Not sure of the title, but those are the two tracks featured on this release. When I first heard about the band, I merely received bunch of anonymous tapes in mail. Could tell according to postal stamps, it was from Helsinki, but that was it.
Still now H.Ö.H. appears to operate quite isolated from "scene", but tapes are really good ones. If we talk about lowest of the low, total gutter noise, it fits there perfectly. Total lack of any effects. Total lack of any neat gadgets. Total lack of heavy brutality. Just ultra raw radio-static noises and little bit of other crude noises build these tracks. Perhaps surprisingly "musical" in this tape. Lets say in standard if instrumental version of CON-DOM "Jesus Penis" is something what appears musical to your ears?
I'm not sure, but I assume there are no samples online and tape are also quite limited availability, but if you see them somewhere and you have soft spot for utmost rawness, then I suggest to go for it.

deadprint

I think that lots of The New Blockaders' material has a really raw, messy, and unhinged sound.

l.b.

obvious answer is ARV & MILJO. lots of swedish stuff probably. like also SSRI (aka Sick Seed, Gelsomina) especially 'Robust' tape on Narcolepsia. Lots of crappy brown turntable sounds, radio, bashing objects, etc.

impulsemanslaughter

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 02, 2010, 07:26:37 PM
well, was listening to Prick Decay 7", and if this doesn't fit in this topic, nothing does.
When the title of 7" is "rotten groove" and it says "low-fi gunk noise with various guest including Jeph Jerman", I guess it's guaranteed. Really rotten sounds of junk objects, some feedbacks, banjos (?), distant howling singing, hum of machines, Hands To style contributions of walkman captured concrete sounds. It is noisy, but not brutal. Just plain disturbing. I remember Prick Decay being slightly too hard bite 10 years ago, but now their disturbing noise garbage seems like very healthy dose of rawness in opposition of all heavy and well made full noise products.

Bought this one recently. It seems i have to play it again.

Love the early Odal tapes, TNB - Changez 12", used to like Outermost but haven't listened to his stuff last couple of years, Crank Sturgeon 12" on RRR that was mentioned in this tread, some Caroliner Rainbow + related projects fall into this category although most of their stuff is too musical i guess..

collapsedhole

BLODVITE, ALLEYPISSER... all those guys....
but as far as USA is concerned.... SKIN GRAFT definitely comes to mind... also H.C.O.D tapes on the Fieldwork label, very decayed and rotten. if we're talking lowest of the low, what about the FAG TAPES stuff?

Bleak Existence

deadprint

Quote from: collapsedhole on August 27, 2015, 04:03:41 AM
BLODVITE, ALLEYPISSER... all those guys....
but as far as USA is concerned.... SKIN GRAFT definitely comes to mind... also H.C.O.D tapes on the Fieldwork label, very decayed and rotten. if we're talking lowest of the low, what about the FAG TAPES stuff?

Alleypisser and Skin Graft are both excellent at making something out of nothing.  Junk noise at it's finest. 

Many Fag Tapes releases also come to mind, yeah.  Always dug the Sick Llama style of using whatever is at your disposal to make some some weird fuckin sounds.

eyestrain

Green Army Fraction's "Airyanem Vaejah" at least comes to what Mikko mentions. Boiling, gruff mess all over the mix. Little bit of vocals on the short B1 track. Otherwise it's just a lo-fi, low-end bruiser. Released on Cult Cassettes, which definitely makes sense as it reminds of early Burial Hex all the way. Only thing, other than the Niellerade Fallibilithorstar collaboration, that I ever like by GAF and it's amazing.

ProgeriaYouth

I think most of the American Tapes catalogue could come into this category or "genre". Perhaps at one time it was so trendy that it is now anti-trendy amongst the elite noise folk but from the few bits and pieces I have heard it seems to follow a certain steady pattern of quantity, full session without overdubs or editing and the use of anything as instrument. Perhaps it doesn't contain the filth that is associated with gutter noise title... gutter improv perhaps? Not interested to say one way or another about it's "quality" as music or otherwise; but perhaps it fits...
Noise Label: http://www.turgid-animal.co.uk
Black Metal Label: http://www.legion-blotan.co.uk
Email: George.Proctor AT Gmail DOT com

burdizzo

Quote from: eyestrain on August 30, 2015, 05:28:17 PM
Green Army Fraction's "Airyanem Vaejah" at least comes to what Mikko mentions. Boiling, gruff mess all over the mix. Little bit of vocals on the short B1 track. Otherwise it's just a lo-fi, low-end bruiser. Released on Cult Cassettes, which definitely makes sense as it reminds of early Burial Hex all the way. Only thing, other than the Niellerade Fallibilithorstar collaboration, that I ever like by GAF and it's amazing.

Oh! Haven't heard the GAF tape you mention, but I was listening to Spear of Tradition the other day, and I thought it was great - but certainly not suitable for this topic. Strong and forceful power electronics. Wondering will there be any more from him?
I also wonder why Streicher wouldn't fit here. Certainly tracks like 'I don't Give a Fuck' are what I'd consider low-class gutter noise. I still love it, though...

Bleak Existence

you remember me that Streicher fit indeed here

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: eyestrain on August 30, 2015, 05:28:17 PM

Odd, because my memory of it wasn't that it was lo-fi gutter Noise but listening to it right now, I agree with this completely. Haven't heard the collaboration mentioned but have to say it's the only GAF I've heard that I like, as well.
Shikata ga nai.