Having no interest in your own scene

Started by martialgodmask, June 22, 2016, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko-V

Gear snobbery... laptops... iron junk... kaosspads... digital vs. anal-log...

IMHO, talented ones can make good results out of anything. Period.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on July 13, 2016, 05:43:49 PM
I think especially in the midwest, people are caught either trying too hard, or not trying hard enough. 
Oh you get those ailments in the Bay Area or NY as well.
But in my personal experience some of the more interesting developments in music have occurred in cultural backwaters.
A lot of the more individualistic punk and industrial acts evolved in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking at least).
Where the more mob mentality of such acts sounding all the same seems to be a problem in major metro areas.
I think it's a problem that you can have a whole specialized little subscene in NY or SF for example that just specializes in horror grind or electro-industrial or whatever.
When you are out in the sticks, everyone plays at the same place, and they all go to each others shows.
Which I think actually kind of fosters a suburban polyamory of music influences.

Too bad there is never any good place to eat in the suburbs. 

david lloyd jones

Too bad there is never any good place to eat in the suburbs.

from prev entry-according to those yank foodshows you can't move for suburban food places

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: calaverasgrande on July 17, 2016, 11:01:35 PM
I think especially in the midwest, people are caught either trying too hard, or not trying hard enough. 

When you are out in the sticks, everyone plays at the same place, and they all go to each others shows.
Which I think actually kind of fosters a suburban polyamory of music influences.

I have only ever experienced this in South Bend, Indiana.  I would like to see more of it. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

calaverasgrande

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on July 20, 2016, 03:46:39 AM
Quote from: calaverasgrande on July 17, 2016, 11:01:35 PM

I have only ever experienced this in South Bend, Indiana.  I would like to see more of it. 
I've lived all over the country.  Deep South, Northern CA, New York. I've also been in a few bands that have toured somewhat.  It's one of those things that kind of blows you away when you are driving across country. Of course there was a good turnout in Oakland or Brooklyn. But when you get to some suburb in the middle of nowhere and it's not only a significant crowd, but a more diverse crowd. It really points up that in major metro areas we tribalize and self segregate into these little uh, special interest groups.
I admire that in a way, but I'm a vegan (30 years!) and I like to eat interesting Asian food. There are no vegan asian restaurants in you average American suburb. Also not a lot of modular synthesizer stores.
On the plus side, the thrift stores are more likely to have actual musical instruments and stuff.