Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrophist

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on May 24, 2024, 06:43:07 PMGood to know that the Jude is good.  I have been meaning to watch it.

I went into it completely unprepared and only vaguely aware of what it's about. I hope I'm not overhyping it for you, but yeah I really thought this was amazing.

Some of the criticisms I've read are that it's too long and repetitive, or that it somehow supposedly makes the case that Romania was better of under Ceaucescu. Sure, the film is long and at times difficult to watch -- but that's sort of the point. As for it supposedly being nostalgic for pre-revolution Romania, well, that's so absurd there's no point in even discussing it further. 

Towards the end there is one, very long sequence that really makes you wonder what the hell is going on (you'll know what I mean when you see it), but in my opinion, in the end it works perfectly at making its point.

If you do watch it, make sure to drop a quick review here -- I'm interested in what you make of it!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Atrophist on May 25, 2024, 02:49:46 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on May 24, 2024, 06:43:07 PMGood to know that the Jude is good.  I have been meaning to watch it.

I went into it completely unprepared and only vaguely aware of what it's about. I hope I'm not overhyping it for you, but yeah I really thought this was amazing.

Some of the criticisms I've read are that it's too long and repetitive, or that it somehow supposedly makes the case that Romania was better of under Ceaucescu. Sure, the film is long and at times difficult to watch -- but that's sort of the point. As for it supposedly being nostalgic for pre-revolution Romania, well, that's so absurd there's no point in even discussing it further. 

Towards the end there is one, very long sequence that really makes you wonder what the hell is going on (you'll know what I mean when you see it), but in my opinion, in the end it works perfectly at making its point.

If you do watch it, make sure to drop a quick review here -- I'm interested in what you make of it!

I will, once I get to it!  I was excited to see his new movie posted here, actually, because I just watched one of his earlier ones (I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians) a few times in the last month or so.  I really liked his style of semi-documentary filming and the citation-filled script.

BlackCavendish

Late Night with the Devil - Cameron & Colin Cairnes

Beautiful film that pays homage to the demonic cinema of the seventies (a bit in the wake of Ty West's "The House of the Devil"), shot with little money, great ideas, beautiful aesthetics and admirable attention to detail.
The movie depicts the events of a fictious late-night talk show's Halloween episode went terribly wrong.
Definitely worth a shot if you're into devilish movies.

Atrophist

Quote from: BlackCavendish on May 26, 2024, 12:41:00 AMLate Night with the Devil - Cameron & Colin Cairnes

Beautiful film that pays homage to the demonic cinema of the seventies (a bit in the wake of Ty West's "The House of the Devil"), shot with little money, great ideas, beautiful aesthetics and admirable attention to detail.
The movie depicts the events of a fictious late-night talk show's Halloween episode went terribly wrong.
Definitely worth a shot if you're into devilish movies.

I watched this a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty clever and works surprisingly well.

About 2/3 through there's a bit of a "well that escalated quickly" type of feeling, I would have preferred a more subtle approach, but that's just my opinion ofc. A bit too "vibe-y" and pastichey, but other than that a great little horror movie.