Age survey

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 11, 2012, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cementimental

Quote from: martialgodmask on June 12, 2012, 12:59:15 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 11:48:29 AMYesterday I was watching piece of UK street magic guy and he appeared in backroom on popular R&B singer and next thing you see one of the crew members with Mayhem t-shirt.

The guy is Dynamo and I was a little bemused to see the shirt on it. Very strange environment, perhaps explained by the Hot Topic "extreme metal" tshirts of a couple of years back? Think Mayhem may have been one of them? Also, on the wall in the sixth form common room scenes on Brit-com The Inbetweeners is a Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao poster.
In a world where the guy from Bathory directed a Lady Gaga and dressed her in a GISM jacket anything is possible.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Cementimental on June 12, 2012, 10:27:26 AM
Quote from: martialgodmask on June 12, 2012, 12:59:15 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 11:48:29 AMYesterday I was watching piece of UK street magic guy and he appeared in backroom on popular R&B singer and next thing you see one of the crew members with Mayhem t-shirt.

The guy is Dynamo and I was a little bemused to see the shirt on it. Very strange environment, perhaps explained by the Hot Topic "extreme metal" tshirts of a couple of years back? Think Mayhem may have been one of them? Also, on the wall in the sixth form common room scenes on Brit-com The Inbetweeners is a Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao poster.
In a world where the guy from Bathory directed a Lady Gaga and dressed her in a GISM jacket anything is possible.

My initial thought was "Quothorn?!" before realising how ridiculous this brainfart was and slapped myself for being a twat. Someone should call Sakevi and tell him is was a bootleg.

Henrik III

A pointless observation: age distribution resembles the normal distribution near-perfectly (at least with sample of this small),  center is at slightly higher age I'd have guessed. So eventually even this twisted subculture is not safe from harsh stochastic laws.

I reside in the older half by a small margin. Got into experimental music in late teens in early 90's but until late 20's didn't consider noise nothing but a plain curiosity.

tiny_tove

I got into experimental/industrial sounds in early teens, but became obsessed around 18/19 yo and  started doing my own stuff a couple years later.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

post-morten

Quote from: Cementimental on June 12, 2012, 10:27:26 AM

We were neighbours when we grew up. He made all the right career moves; from high school drop-out, to metal drummer, to Madonna's toyboy.

RyanWreck

Who is 55-60 or more? Awesome grandpa.

enmity

Quote from: Desperate on June 12, 2012, 02:21:32 AM
36 here. I got into noise/experimental/industrial around the age of 19 or 20, but that was due to having pen pals (from Metal Maniacs magazine!) that also listened to that stuff. There was just no one within a 50 mile radius that would have known about any of these bands. There possibly could have been cassettes like Skinny Puppy "Too Dark Park" or similar, but I would have not known anything about the band if I hadn't searched it out. Living in a very small town made it much harder to discover anything remotely different. I'm actually very thankful for the magazines I found at bigger music stores (the Tower Music store in Nashville that I visited had more genre based mags for punk, goth, industrial, metal, etc). And I also think the internet has made it much easier to discover bands, as there isn't much "searching" going on. On one hand that's good, but then again, it seems to dilute the experience of discovering this stuff.

I feel, and understand where you are coming from, I am also from a small town in Tennessee and it was always a struggle looking for music in the early 90's before I had the internet. Magazines (mostly goth and industrial) led me the ways through some of the darker music that led me to Skinny Puppy, Coil, Death In June, and later on to NON, Throbbing Gristle etc. Being a DJ helped with people from the clubs introducing me sometimes to new music and having close knit friends with similar interests around me that was also on the search.

ARKHE

Mikko, you should do a complete demographic survey of the noise scene. Why stop with age? Average income, level of education, parent's level of education, civil status, geographical location of growing up / current (urban/rural), ethnic/religious background, etc etc. You could devote an entire issue of SI discussing and interpreting the results. I'd buy it.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: ARKHE on June 13, 2012, 01:15:31 PM
Mikko, you should do a complete demographic survey of the noise scene. Why stop with age? Average income, level of education, parent's level of education, civil status, geographical location of growing up / current (urban/rural), ethnic/religious background, etc etc. You could devote an entire issue of SI discussing and interpreting the results. I'd buy it.

I concur!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

haha!
Well, of course it could be interesting to some extent, but when there is relatively small group of people, I think results may not be utterly reliable or give any significant results. From some qualities we can make generalizations, but from others probably absolutely nothing.

How far one could go this type of general observation, before it ends up to be "noise cribs" type?

I do remember for example CITY/RUINS document of Cleveland underlining very much how blue collar (working class) the scene is there. My general impression would be western scene is rather dominated by white (lower-)middleclass men at 20-40's? Even bohemic society drop-outs rather fit to middleclass status.

When you see kids that are spoiled with wealth, easiness, or such, I think this can happen in other levels. It may not be the parents, but simply spoiled by urban environment with plenty of stimulants of all sorts and you will never end up in same ways creating things out of having pretty much nothing. I think for example organizing shows in nowadays something like that. At least over here, we're spoiled with having EVERY somehow significant bands and plenty of bands more, on pretty much every possible day - most often brought by professional organizers. Why bother to do anything when everything is done? In small city it could be very different. Either you do it, or it doesn't happen.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Die Klandestine Reaktion

I turn 31 in July. I found out about noise around with around 18. Merzbow. 2 years before that i got some Abruptum tape. Somehow it´s noise too, isn´t it ? Lived in a very rural area in south-west Germany at this time. No chance to get to ANY kind of city without a car. Woods, soccer, redneck people. Expect for the woods the rest was worse.

I am fond of the pre-internet time because since this is in existance a lot of "mystic" about such genres as noise or black metal is lost. Would not like to miss the interwebs today anyway.

RyanWreck

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 13, 2012, 05:42:49 PM
I do remember for example CITY/RUINS document of Cleveland underlining very much how blue collar (working class) the scene is there. My general impression would be western scene is rather dominated by white (lower-)middleclass men at 20-40's? Even bohemic society drop-outs rather fit to middleclass status.

I agree. It does seem as if the western scenes are dominated mainly by white males in their 20's and early 30's. Outside of Liver Mortis is there any other Black guys that play this stuff? I haven't really seen many Mexicans either.

I did like the City/Ruins document but I though that the parts where they said that they were somehow original because of their geographic location was a bit erroneous because the stuff I heard from there really doesn't sound all that different from material coming out of other areas of the world and it seems like for the most part a handful of those guys make their "dirty sound" (I think someone even uses the term "scumtronics"?) and scene unity to be a distinguishing characteristic of only the Cleveland scene.

acsenger

QuoteI am fond of the pre-internet time because since this is in existance a lot of "mystic" about such genres as noise or black metal is lost. Would not like to miss the interwebs today anyway.

I'm grateful for the internet as I could never have even learned about noise/experimental music without it. Getting familiar with black and death metal in the second half of the 90s in a town of 130 000 in Hungary was basically only a matter of money one could spend on tapes (being a high school student, CDs were too expensive for me), but buying experimental stuff in shops is pretty much impossible even today I believe. I would also be surprised if there were any mailorder companies in the country. The West is lucky to have a culture of good record shops, mailorder services and fanzines/magazines. For the rest of the world, before the internet I guess it was nearly impossible to even find out about experimental music unless one was lucky to know/meet someone already into it.
But yes, discovering extreme metal in high school in pre-internet times was a unique experience, finding out about this strange and "magical" world... and as the years go by, I guess I'll be even more nostalgic about it :).

enmity

I can remember the first time i saw a catalog that had tons of music I have never heard of, ranging in the likes of goth, industrial, noise, PE, etc. It was an 4 or 5 pages of xeroxed paper stapled together. This catalog was for Armageddon Records in Chicago, at the time and besides ordering from relapse, the "Release" section where I got my first Brighter Death Now CD's Necrose Evangelicum, and Innerwar...I actually had a bigger pallet of artists to choose from. Also from buying the Brighter Death Now and listening to so much darkwave bands from Projekt records I found the holy grail for me that was Cold Meat Industry. From there it was all downhill. Cold Meat had many compilation CD's where I got to witness true noise and PE for the first time.

Molluskground, Inc.