Age survey

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 11, 2012, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desperate

Quote from: Strömkarlen on June 16, 2012, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: post-morten on June 15, 2012, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: Desperate on June 15, 2012, 02:59:33 PM
Yeah, I love old Mortiis. I don't remember paying too much for the VHS. It was probably $20 maybe? It was a pretty boring video though. :)

Haha! Did you know the director is here on the forum?

Well, thank you all. We could have probably have a shit load more of the filming if creating the face wouldn't taken the better part of the first day of shooting and second... this was before the mask.
And, yes, I find it boring as well :)

Ha! Actually, I didn't think the video was horrible, just a bit boring. When I first bought the vhs, I kept wanting to see more of Mortiis, but I could see how that might ruin his image. Probably best to keep him shrouded in the fog and darkness. :) By the way, where did you film it at?

Strömkarlen

Thank you. It was shoot north of Gothenburg in an old castle called Bohus Fästning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohus

Thinking about the film it feels a bit strange that the Mortiis film is the only film I released as a director. Since then I've been producing. I have to fix that and do another film.

Bloated Slutbag

Any comment from anyone on the role of radio? Y'know, sounds freely available over the airwaves, capable of cutting through geographical and generational gaps in a single broadcast. I'm thinking mainly of college radio and the public broadcasters. I don't think their formative potential can be understated.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

In Finland there is very controlled radio network. There was and is the program called Avaruusromia ("space junk") going since 1990. Summary here:
http://yle.fi/radio1/musiikki/avaruusromua/in_english_10511.html

I don't know if you can listen the streams abroad, but there currently online kosmische music against anglo-american popular culture. Electronic-music interpretations of classical music. And all sorts of electronic music.
Should listen it more, but don't even have radio anymore in my stereo set for like 10 years. I listen it almost exclusively in car. Always forget that internet allows one to stream the programs...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 20, 2012, 08:05:31 PMAny comment from anyone on the role of radio? ... I'm thinking mainly of college radio and the public broadcasters. I don't think their formative potential can be understated.

Rightly said. Public radio from Melbourne, mainly 3RRR and 3PBS, as well as the national broadcaster ABC FM, pointed the way for me for music for decades. I pay tribute to Ulex Xane's "Noise Kills" programme on PBS in the mid 90's for hooking me onto the heavy stuff. Somewhere I still have a tape of the final programme he made, when the then management decided to push NK from it's prime time spot (something like 7.30 in the evening or thereabouts) to some ridiculous time in the evening. Xane told them in no uncertain terms what he thought - the last programme was all his own work, with the final track, Goldenrod's "Fuck You All" (Streicher and Macronympha) dedicated to PBS management.

In the 80's, I alternated between a wonderful programme on ABC FM called "Dreamtime" which gave me whole sides of albums by Klaus Schultze, Eberhard Schoener, Tangerine Dream, Clara Mondshine, Robert Schroder, and others (alternated with classical music) to RRR's "Electro Beat" (formerly "Metal Beat") which introduced me to SPK and the harder, "minimal synth" types. ABC also used to broadcast a lot of electro-acoustic material - I think I mentioned the Stockholm Electronic Music Festival on this forum before.

Formative times. Although to be honest I was far more into Metal in the 80's and punk in the 90's before I got more into Noise now.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

I would have to think radio played/plays a much more significant role than here in the USA.  I'm surprised by how many krautrock, industrial, avant-garde, etc radio recordings there are in circulation from European and eastern European radio stations.  I remember doing research on Arsenije Jovanovic (one of the most underrated sound artists of all time; check out his Alluvial CD from a couple years ago) and running into tens and tens of his radio broadcasts.  At the time, he had one CD and one split CD officially released, yet he had a mountain of broadcasts.  Since then, only one new CD has been released.  A big regret is not knowing how to capture streams at that time, because the website hosting those is long gone.  I'd love to have all those, even at whatever crappy rate they were streaming.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Desperate

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 22, 2012, 02:58:33 AM
I would have to think radio played/plays a much more significant role than here in the USA.  I'm surprised by how many krautrock, industrial, avant-garde, etc radio recordings there are in circulation from European and eastern European radio stations.  I remember doing research on Arsenije Jovanovic (one of the most underrated sound artists of all time; check out his Alluvial CD from a couple years ago) and running into tens and tens of his radio broadcasts.  At the time, he had one CD and one split CD officially released, yet he had a mountain of broadcasts.  Since then, only one new CD has been released.  A big regret is not knowing how to capture streams at that time, because the website hosting those is long gone.  I'd love to have all those, even at whatever crappy rate they were streaming.

Hadn't heard of Jovanovic before, so I checked out Youtube for sounds. Good stuff! I listened to the first thing to pop up (Prophecy of the Village Kremna) and then gazed out the window. The sun is illuminating a large cloud, giving it a pink glow, at dusk. Having a Koyaanisqatsi moment. :)

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 20, 2012, 10:22:33 PM
In Finland there is very controlled radio network.

I've heard much the same from folks in Japan. As recently as 1999, hitting hardcore events in Tokyo, chatting with the bands - time and again enduring sake-fueled rants on the supreme crappiness of Japanese radio (and the comorbid wider governing bodies in general). HC heads would on occasion profess a love of the choicest of sounds – as in, the good stuff, THE FILTH, what might inspire rare and Special Interests. But growing up... they had no exposure.

I nod in understanding, but at the same time... 20th century composers like Takemitsu, at least, enjoyed broadcast on NHK radio, albeit infrequently. Hijokaidan may have got limited airplay, but the academics got everywhere. And, again, I wouldn't want to understate their potential for deep impact.

Even Borbetomagus say as much. Here's an excerpt from a relatively recent interview:

QuoteInterviewer:
How did you get in touch with Donald [Miller]?

Don Dietrich:
I'd heard his radio show on [Columbia University's] KCR and I'd never heard any of this stuff he was playing before – where we lived it was hard enough to get a Captain Beefheart record, much less the stuff he was playing which was just extraordinary, it was blowing my mind. I told Jim [Sauter] I said, you gotta check this shit out, this is unbelievable!

...they go on to drop names like Kagel, Xenakis, Stockhausen, Penderecki, Ligeti. I assume this was in the late 70s though no dates are mentioned.

Full text here:
http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/interviews/borbetomagus.html

Columbia U, NYC. Hardly a backwater in the middle of Buttfuck, Nowhere. But I'd wager your average college station could find a devoted audience within a good 100km radius. This was true of Toronto, at least. Taking my turn at a little nostalgia now... going back to the mid 80's, TO had three college stations (CKLN, CIUT, CHRY), any one of which could be counted on to deliver a regular dose of the good stuff – admittedly often late night, and still primarily (good) stuff of the academic persuasion. But it was out there. On the airwaves. In abundance. In between all that deathmetal. William S Burroughs marathons. A weekend with The Residents. Endless pointless radio collage projects. And later, inexplicably, Illusion of Safety. I've got a couple boxes of tapes comprised entirely of Illusion of Safety, as broadcast over the airwaves. Hours of fucking Illusion of Safety. No complaints, is good. The CBC, the national broadcaster, were on it too, and to the best of my knowledge have been reliably irritating taste-deficient Canadians for a few decades at least.  

Here's an interview with Mitch Krol, "The Demon" beneath a Toronto radio show called "Beyond The Gates Of Hell". Or as The Demon put it, "Satanic music for Satanic people." Big influence on thirteen-year old Slutbag, as you might imagine! Mr Krol comes on with his deep, pitch-shifted, echoing, demon voice over a background of crying babies. Week after week I'd faithfully stay tuned for the especially weird shit to be heard at 3:33, The Hour Of Satan. The dude should have been doing stand-up. An excerpt from his show comes at about 5:00 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuiWM35cUI

...all and all, it seems appropriate that my first performance for an audience outside my neck of the woods was a phone-in on, indeed, a Columbia U KCR-presented 72-hour noise festival:

http://www.modern-radio.com/board/t.php?id=23639
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 01, 2012, 05:02:24 PM
20th century composers like Takemitsu, at least, enjoyed broadcast on NHK radio, albeit infrequently. Hijokaidan may have got limited airplay, but the academics got everywhere. And, again, I wouldn't want to understate their potential for deep impact.

Shortly after posting this (which shows how often I get a chance to post here!), I was checking out the Twice Zonked blog and found that even the in the 50`s radio was inspiring people.

Eliane Radigue, in her words, "heard on the radio a program by Pierre Schaeffer, master of musique concrète" in the late 50`s and was inspired to get in touch...

Matsuo Ohno, in his words, was inspired from NHK broadcasts of Stockhausen in the 60`s...

...the point being that radio has obviously been an influence (on more "specialized" tastes) probably almost since its inception. Which perhaps demonstrates that regardless of what`s out there, widely available, on the airwaves, online, whatever, a certain special interest in seeking out something more probably needs to be there. Toronto had three college stations and the CBC, but then as later I still got the same incredulous reactions from those with less "specialized", er, needs, re-

"Where do you hear this stuff?!" (practically a mantra, one I`m sure we`re all familiar with)

I remember, as a very young child with, um, special (sonic-sensual) needs, spending hours flipping the radio dial back and forth in an effort to hear that e-special-ly interest-ing music I just "knew" existed, but never seemed to hear in that context - on radio. Of course, I "knew" it existed because I very probably had heard it many times - on TV, or in movies. It`s there. It`s always been there. Perhaps some are simply more sensitive to the fact than others.
And take you for a drag

nosfe

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 09:52:02 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 11, 2012, 08:31:52 PM
People from large metropolitan areas, or areas of condensed population (thinking of NY, MA, MD, NJ), really don't have any idea how less populated areas function.  How slowly change and trends occur or drag behind is lost on them.

This is something what I have been thinking for years, and quite a lot. In case of Finnish noise, there certainly are bands from bigger cities. I believe Halthan, Bizarre Uproar and Grey Park for example are original Helsinki guys?

Actually I think Grey Park was originally started in Hyvinkää or wherever plaa used to live before moving to Helsinki, I'm the only one of current members who is an original Helsinki guy. :)