Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Picked up a bottle of Kilbeggan Blended Irish Whiskey last night. Not too bad for the price ,cost being my main consideration for the next little while. No age statement, but it's very apparent that this has been aged in Bourbon casks. Bourbon and oak comes through strong, with some sweetness and a bit of caramel and vanilla. A little overly grainy, but it's easily overlooked. All in all it's okay stuff, I'm not THAT much of an Irish Whiskey fan, but if I were in dire financial straights again, I'd definitely consider picking up another bottle.

McClellands Islay used to be my goto cheap dram, and some bottles I've had were absolutely fantastic, sometimes I really like immature Islays, but some bottles have been damn near undrinkable. I don't think they do much blending. I've heard it's just rebranded 5 yr old Bowmore, but not too sure about that. Now I kind of want a bottle of this, but next week when I get paid I'm going to be picking up a bottle of Hendrik's Gin to replace what I drank of my ladyfriends bottle. I don't usually like gin, but that's some damned good stuff. Made by a scotch company, so go figure.

I've also been heavily into Orval lately. The addition of wild yeast before bottling gives it a near-lambic, sour character. It's also dry-hopped, with an IBU way higher than any other Trappist ale. It's also the only dry Trappist ale. It's quickly becoming one of my most consumed beers, but maybe that's because the liquor store by my house stopped stocking Chimay for some reason.

RG

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on February 04, 2013, 01:44:43 PM
Not wanting to derail, but does anyone else smoke it straight? I can't stand mine mulled with tobacco. I don't smoke tobacco anyway, and it seems to me like it's watering down wine.

I do smoke it straight, the pouch of Drum tobacco was just for regular hand-rolled cigs. Once or twice a year I'll get the urge to pick up a pouch and I enjoy it with whiskey. I understand where you're coming from though, I know outside of the USA it's very common to roll joints mixed with tobacco (and that Drum is a popular choice) but that's not what I was doing and I've never liked it either. Messes with the taste.

Back on topic, picked up a 4pk of Sierra Nevada 2013 Bigfoot Barleywine and it's great. Big bodied with lots of malt and hop flavor but still balanced. Thinking of buying some more and letting them age.

ConcreteMascara

well in the past few months I've been utterly obsessed with Triple Karmeliet, which I posted about on here before. It's just an outstanding Belgian triple in my opinion and there's a great Belgian bar in Philly that has it for a very reasonable price. Nothing else is really measuring up in comparison for me right now. Sadly I don't know where  to get it outside of bars in the area, but Leffe is not a bad substitute.

Also tried Sly Fox Dunkel Lager on draft last night. It was pretty solid, a good before for when you're already drunk.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Jordan

Anyone try Westvleteren XII? There was a crazy limited amount available at the liquor stores in my province, and I was lucky enough to grab some. It's pretty great stuff, though I don't think it's even my favourite trappist ale. Strangely enough, I think I like the secular version (St. Bernardus Abt 12) better, though that might be because Westvleteren started using a different strain of yeast, so St. Bernardus Abt 12 is more "true" or something. Yeah, but it's a little bit too biscuity, a little too sweet.  

ALSO: Really want to try La Trappe Quadrupel Oak Aged, preferably one that has been bottle conditioned for a year or two, at least. I generally like beers to be either oak aged, or bottle conditioned. Not sure if I've ever tried one that has both. La Trappe is one of my least favourite Trappist ales, I guess probably my least favorite.

Jordan

So I meant to pick up a bottle of Hendrick's Dry Gin today, but all of the sudden there were shitloads of artisanal gins at my liquor store that weren't there yesterday. So I ended up going with a bottle of The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, if only because of it's island of origin. Probably not going to try it until tomorrow though.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: Jordan on February 14, 2013, 08:28:47 PM
So I meant to pick up a bottle of Hendrick's Dry Gin today, but all of the sudden there were shitloads of artisanal gins at my liquor store that weren't there yesterday. So I ended up going with a bottle of The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, if only because of it's island of origin. Probably not going to try it until tomorrow though.

Lucky you, it's hard to find even here. The bottle reminds me of old fashioned Chanel no 5. A true enthusiast has a fine collection of reviews at http://summerfruitcup.wordpress.com/gin/ - the gentleman seems to have a liver of steel. I was glad to see I'm not the only Xoriguer enthusiast out there.

It's one of the biggest selling Pils in Deutschland but you don't often see Warsteiner on draught elsewhere. Luckily for me a small drinking club I go to has it at a very reasonable price. Those purity laws triumph again, and there's a really earthy undercurrent - I can almost taste mushrooms. Known as 'Warstarter' in the UK for obvious reasons.

A supermarket chain has recently had some Lions Gate 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz on half price offer. It's pretty much your average mass produced New World knockout juice but seems very tasty, spicy and hangover-free. Nice for winter.

Jordan

Quote from: KMusselman on February 16, 2013, 01:09:49 AM
read previous post:

Very interested, but we don't usually get many Sam Adams brews besides Boston Lager around here. Last one was Winter Lager and I'd rather die than drink that again.

Jordan

Sure it's better than budweiser, and maybe I was being a tad dramatic, but A) The six pack I picked up had the newer, more wintery looking label and I didn't realize that it had spices/ginger in it, and I really don't like ginger in beer for whatever reason, and B)the six pack I picked up at least had a weird cooked vegetable taste lurking beneath the spices and hops. Maybe I had a bad batch. Not sure if I checked the expiry date.

I do like the other Sam Adams beers I've had, although I can't remember the one or two others I've had besides the Boston and Winter lagers. I think one of the others I've tried was Summer Lager or something? Maybe that and the Winter are the only others I've seen for sale here. I always see their specialty/limited edition beers online and want to try them, but they never have them.

Ever tried Utopias?

Currently Drinking:

-Tree Brewing Co. - Hop Head Double IPA - Not bad, a lot better than the regular Hop Head, but has a weird taste on the finish that's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite think of what it is...
-Central City Brewers + Distillers - Red Racer IPA - Probably the best Canadian West Coast Style IPA. From the West Coast of Canada, so probably has Cascadia in the hop profile.
-Brasserie Caracole - Nostradamus - The only Belgian beer available at my neighbourhood liquor store. This ones really hit or miss. I've had some pretty okay bottles, and some with a weird, unpleasant taste. Still, it's better than a lot of the shit they've had in stock lately.

Oh, and that Gin (The Botanist) is delicious.

nyarluna

As of late the Mrs. combs the adds for me finding the best budget deals.  Been satisfied with cases of Sessions lager from Full Sail, Shiner brews, Mexican variety packs with Dos Equis, Tecate, Sol and getting Sierra Nevada's for a decent price.  Pilsner Urqel is another beer I tend to seek out on a regular basis.

Johann

stopped and picked up a 4 pack of N. Coast Old Stock Ale (2012, might have to buy another to sit on), and while there had (512) Pecan Porter...just cracked open a sam smiths oatmeal stout

ConcreteMascara

will be and is currently the death of me. hail Beam!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Bleak Existence

nidding

Been busy at work at the new Mikkeller bar here in town, so completely forgot to mention the "sensation" of last Saturday:
3Floyds Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord! One keg only, gone in 40 minutes.
A great Russian styled Imperial Stout, although from the immense praise Dark Lord itself gets not exactly what I expected at first. Drank it at room temperature. The aroma was strong and boozy, lingered nicely in your nose. It poured from tap with hardly any head. The taste has very strong chocolaty sweetness and vanilla which stays well into the aftertaste. The bourbon is hardly present till the warmth of the aftertaste. The consistency is great; extremely smooth.
In conclusion; an amazing beer for the Stout nerd and definitely worth tracking down if you're able. I definitely had too high expectations, which is why on first sip I felt a bit disappointed - that feeling quickly goes away though, already on the second I was sold.

nidding

Today's beer at work:

Mikkeller: Yeast Series 2.0 Lager
Dieu Du Ciel: Peche Mortel Imperial Stout
Mikkeller: Stateside IPA
Grassroots: Keep On Cruising Buddy Berliner Weisse
Mikkeller: Crooked Moon Tattoo IIPA
Cantillon: Lou Pepe Kriek 2012
Cantillon: Vigneronne 2011 Lambic
Mikkeller/3 Floyds: Boogoop Buckwheat Barley Wine
Mikkeller: Fairbar Radiance IIPA

All of them are very, very recommendable within their styles.
Tomorrow, I'm just gonna go for one - 3 Floyds: In The Name of Suffering (Black IPA made in collaboration with EyeHateGod!).