CD Packaging

Started by Leatherface, November 17, 2013, 02:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatherface

Jewel case, Digipack, Digisleeve, Dvd case, Half dvd case, Cardboard sleeve, 7" sleeve,...

What do you like/hate?

burdizzo

Jewel case, usually - though, of course, it's a divil when they break. Not terribly fussy about it, however!

SiClark

No real preference. Digi packs are great when there's good artwork. I hate the slim CD cases, they just seem really cheap.

Scat-O-Logy

I like those plastic cases that F&V and FA uses, the black ones looks especially nice. Check Ultra-Negative for example. Have been trying to cut down my CD purchases and focus on vinyls & tapes recently so can't think of any fresh examples. Maybe I could point out Epicurean Escapism II comp. Even though I don't have it, I can imagine how amazing it looks + those Con-Dom flicks = all hail!

Brad

Quote from: burdizzo on November 17, 2013, 02:38:04 PM
Jewel case, usually - though, of course, it's a divil when they break. Not terribly fussy about it, however!

Breaking a jewel case is no big deal, because all of the plastic parts are replaceable.  Break the plastic on a digipak, and you have a broken copy forever.  Jewel cases are my favourite form of CD packaging basically for this reason.  My least favourite are cardboard sleeves, because it bothers me that the playing surface of the CD can be abraded by the package.

deathcamp

I hate DVD cases, pretty bad looking and low plastic quality...

SNR

Jewel cases, slim cases, digipacks... not really a fan of CDs in paper sleeves without any extra protection, it can got scratches easily.

dmkerr

Quote from: Brad on November 17, 2013, 05:44:39 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on November 17, 2013, 02:38:04 PM

Breaking a jewel case is no big deal, because all of the plastic parts are replaceable.  Break the plastic on a digipak, and you have a broken copy forever.  Jewel cases are my favourite form of CD packaging basically for this reason.  My least favourite are cardboard sleeves, because it bothers me that the playing surface of the CD can be abraded by the package.

This. 

When this occurs, I put the disc in a small vinyl sleeve and insert it inside the digipak.  It works as a last resort.

African Audio

I really like 3'' CD'' small box packaging, kind of a mini-dvd box if you see what I mean. With nice artwork of course. They look great and everything is special about them, it's not the type of material you find in every store so it makes them special to me.

Replying to this thread makes me realize I've got to use this for the next recording I release...

I HATE jewel cases. They're ugly and spell out mainstream stuff to me. Digipack is fine, but as Brad says, once it's broken you'll have a broken copy forever, reminding you how clumsy or impatient you are. Or how stupid are the stupid fucks who dropped it before you got it.

Brad

Quote from: African Audio on November 22, 2013, 04:47:06 AM
I HATE jewel cases. They're ugly and spell out mainstream stuff to me.

A lot of ultra-mainstream CDs are in digisleeves now.

African Audio

Quote from: Brad on November 22, 2013, 06:36:10 AM
Quote from: African Audio on November 22, 2013, 04:47:06 AM
I HATE jewel cases. They're ugly and spell out mainstream stuff to me.

A lot of ultra-mainstream CDs are in digisleeves now.

Yes you're right I know, yet when I fell into noise I was really impressed with the variety of packages, and the creativity, it had to offer in this field. It made it feel more 'outside' and I kept the mental conncetion of the jewel case with more commercial music..

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Leatherface on November 17, 2013, 02:27:21 PMJewel case, Digipack, Digisleeve, Dvd case, Half dvd case, Cardboard sleeve, 7" sleeve,...

What do you like/hate?

Honestly I've always hated digipacks and digi anything! There is way too much room for accidents to occur, even when you're mindful about it. If the wheel house gets broken...It's pretty well fucked to ever hold the CD properly again. I take care of mine, very well. I still don't like them though. I wish everything was in a standard type of jewel case and not those bullshit ones either, where theres those round bullet like holders for the booklets as they always find a way to dig into the booklets over time, but rather the ridge line type that can't cut into the booklet and wrinkle it all up to fuck. I'm probably over examining your initial question, but I like cases that are more bullet proof and more impervious to mundane human mistakes if and when possible. I've probably got a terminal case of OCD when it comes to this kind of shit, but that's how I am and that's what I've got to say on my behalf, haha.

BlackCavendish

I've always considered CD as a decent compromise between quality, size and practicality: good audio, no need to switch side, solid construction, easy to store, no particular care needed.
For all these reasons jewel case seems to me the more reasonable and logical choice.
Digisleeve or digipacks are nice, but need extra care, maybe a plastic bag and so on...

Commander15

I hugely prefer jewelcases. They are durable and easy to replace if broken. Digipaks are fine though and i understand that they are cheaper to ship.

Commander15

There's also this certain "spiritual" aspect in jewelcases that digipaks doesn't quite match. Whereas digipaks are more "luxurious" and eyecatching, jewelcases have some of this certain charming industrial aesthetic that comes with its mass producted nature.