Noise and intoxication

Started by eyestrain, June 27, 2012, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

I have tried a good many drugs. Not too big on them, though.

tisbor

QuoteI have heard of noise projects being mostly surrounded around marijuana

Jah Excretion = Japanese harsh noise devoted to weed themes. It's an extremely bizarre mix but the sounds are good

HongKongGoolagong

When I am recording music I like to concentrate hard and use only caffeine and nicotine.

As part of live performance with Smell & Quim at maybe 10 or 12 shows since the mid-90s I can honestly say I have never been more drunk in my life than these occasions. We've taken to the stage barely able to stand, launched empty bottles at the crowd, stripped, sexually attacked crowd members in drunken ineffectual ways, fallen over, trashed our equipment, lit fires, stopped festivals, been a nightmare for venue after venue after promoter. And then moaned about not getting more bookings. It's Milovan's baby, I'm just there to help out, boy oh boy it's been fun.

Performing a couple of shows with my main (not noise) band on the experimental Shulgin chemical 2CE was...interesting. Have done shows on LSD, speed, mephedrone before. Usually just a few drinks though, unless it's S&Q when it's ALL the drinks.

EDIT duh I didn't read the topic properly. For listening to noise rather than making it, caffeine is best.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Peterson on June 27, 2012, 11:22:39 PM
have heard of noise projects being mostly surrounded around marijuana use and I always think to myself "why don't you leave that to Electric Wizard?"

Hahaha. I like this, I'll have to quote you some time on that.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

RyanWreck

I hate weed, I couldn't imagine creating anything constructive or worthwhile if I was stoned.

martialgodmask

Haven't touched drugs for a good while - I smoke tobacco and drink alcohol occasionally and coffee by the bucket, and am aware that these are drugs yes - not something I miss, but not something I am offended by if others want to take, I'm just indifferent to the experience these days so there is no desire from me to combine noise with drugs for my personal listening. I don't listen to noise/P.E. with others so there is no social drug-taking potential either.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: andy vomit on June 27, 2012, 10:56:22 PM
ive discovered that the only way i can appreciate wall noise is if i'm stoned.  kinda gets you lost in the sound.
I agree with Andy.
That weak willed weed shit is my absolute favorite, wish i could kick it to the curb, but it remains a necessity for noise/life.

LSD is good too, for the brain.
Caffeine has also somehow become indispensable.

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 27, 2012, 06:53:51 PM
"save my girlfriend who basically only enjoys "Sex Sick" and "Savage Inequalities". "

Seriously?!?

You have to get "blinding drunk to endure dissection"

eyestrain

Quote from: andy vomit on June 27, 2012, 10:56:22 PM
ive discovered that the only way i can appreciate wall noise is if i'm stoned.  kinda gets you lost in the sound.

Always thought "Triumph of the Broken Will" had an extra umph after a nice joint. Cosmic indeed.

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 27, 2012, 11:16:00 PM
One isn't a requirement for the other.

The day I have to have one to find the other, I'm conceding a failure.

Certainly agree. Wasn't coming at this with an Electric Wizard fan perspective, hehe. Just a curiosity. Again, I like noise best sober.

Quote from: RyanWreck on June 27, 2012, 10:27:05 PM
...they beat the shit out of him and cut his nose off with a straight razor. Some doctors re-attached it but it still looks like complete shit. 2 of them got 4 years in prison for it which isn't bad at all considering what they did. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Class. Sometimes I wonder about kids like this, and some animal lib ones, who at the height of youth-based cliquish-ness are willing to go to such extremes. Where do they stand later? I know a few ALF kids who are run-of-the-mill McDonalds eaters now.

...you have to hang around too many losers/scum to get to the drugs.

And so I've enjoyed only homegrown for the last few years.

...sobriety is important to me to "truly" absorb what's getting across on any release.

Absolutely. While at certain times I've had a peak experience leading to a connection, it is not something that can be recreated.

At times, the typical alcoholic band, or doper band, or pot-smoker band, just rubs me the wrong way.

Can't stand it.

And yes, LSD is good for the brain.

online prowler

Personally I like to be at my full senses when performing. I enjoy the level of concentration and adrenaline before and during a show. So, in a performing context I feel stuff I might swallow create a non-desired filter on proceedings and output...  ...After gigs though, as long as a tour is not in works it is Scandinavian-hedonistic-drunk-time: Totally fucked up, laced out, a life wasted. I don't feel noise gigs to be parties per se. For me it is more like common cathartic communion, involving all initiatives people have posted in this thread. Everything goes, as long as you don't steal my beer.

Quote from: tisbor on June 27, 2012, 08:19:04 PM
Harsh noise/p.e. is not exactly party music, except maybe old Whitehouse, but i always found pleasure in listening to it while drinking. I guess it goes for all kinds of music.

True Tisbor, agree. In addition to Whitehouse I'd like to add S.t.a.b. electronics' "Female" to the loud-ass-fuck-party-music-list!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssl33NX_tmo

tinnitustimulus

I guess for me it has gotten to the point where if I go to noise show without beer, I'll still taste it in my mouth like Pavlov's dog. I don't know how it got that way, almost nothing else in my life makes me want to drink, but I just feel awkward without it most of the time until the actual show starts. when i really look forward to an act though i try to absorb all of it with sober senses.

Here, whenever the show is at a house it automatically turns into what a party is: consumption of alcohol and weed/drugs with rooms filled with people. In other settings its not quite the same, even in most bars it does not have same security of feeling like you can let go.

I hate being drunk while I perform, though right afterwards it is amazing if I can sustain the endorphin release after takedown.

As for LSD I remember my friend taking quite a bit of it at no fun fest one year and stayed outside at the smoking area of the hook, thinking he was inside the watching the show the entire time, and refused to go in when I tried to make him see something worth while. That whole experience makes me unenthusiastic about taking any hallucinogens to enjoy some other activity, they are their own activity really.

I definitely love noise when I have sleep deprivation for some reason, most of my best recordings are at 4 in the morning or have gotten no sleep for the past 24 hours. Maybe its easier for me to be euphoric in that condition or maybe I am under a manic state the entire time.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: RyanWreck on June 28, 2012, 01:16:18 AM
I hate weed, I couldn't imagine creating anything constructive or worthwhile if I was stoned.

You may have the ideas but don't feel motivated to do anything with them, for the most part. It's the hardcore stoners who smoke every waking minute just to feel normal who can get things done, but usually things that don't need to get done.
Shikata ga nai.

Black_Angkar

I am generally more into PE and industrial than pure noise. I do however enjoy harsh noise live, and sometimes at home. In my mind drugs mixed with these genres are an excellent opportunity to reach a higher level of experience (as in -something I can hardly acchieve sober or simply drunk, even though the cathartic qualities of extreme volume, extreme sound, intense live performance CAN be enough as well) but something I've quit doing to substitute drinking at shows.

I would generally prefer LSD or even more, mushrooms while experiencing these genres, as I think it bringhs out the full potential of experiencing sound at surreal levels. For me at least. Sometimes the energy can become too much and result in a bad trip but in some ways that's even better, as the bad ones tend to be more memoreable than the light, joyous ones. Now I'm more into experiencing good music just drunk or almost sober, but I do think the experiences of hallucinogenic drugs (weed is also excellent for music in my opinion) has improved my ability to listen and appreciate sound and music in general, and very much influenced the way I make music myself, as well as giving me some of the most intense moments of my life.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: RyanWreck on June 28, 2012, 01:16:18 AM

I wouldn't take anything while recording. It just fucks up my technical skills so I'd fail miserably with mny equipment. I really can't see the point of losing control over the creative process at all. I do drink beer while recording or rehearsing vocals. For some reason I can't do vocals without drinking, most  of the times (ritual I suppose). However I prefer the swedish less than strong kinds of 2,8 or 3,5% which definitely won't fuck up the process.

When I play live I avoid drinking more than a few beers while playing. In the beginning I used to get really drunk and the result was atrocious. I really can't see the point of making yourself unable to perform according to plan. Sometimes, I let this slip due to circumstances but as a rule, no.

Half Aborted

I pretty much never drink/take drugs when recording at home, however when playing live I like to get mildly buzzed, the right amount can help me totally forget the audience is there and immerse myself in it easier whilst still maintaining total control.

Die Klandestine Reaktion

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 27, 2012, 06:53:51 PM
"save my girlfriend who basically only enjoys "Sex Sick" and "Savage Inequalities". "

Seriously?!?

i did think the same