Randy Greif

Started by bogskaggmannen, April 23, 2010, 11:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

There are a lot of US artists from the more experimental spectrum i've yet to hear. How is Randy Greifs works? Any comments on the LP on RRR?

Zeno Marx

Besides a comp track or two (and maybe a cassette I've since sold), I've only heard the Nigel Ayers/Robin Storey/Randy Greif 3CD and Alice in Wonderland 5CD set.  He's very theatrical/cinematic; no surprise since he's also a film maker.  Rich in sounds and textures with big drama with a slight leaning towards darkness.  I don't know how else to describe him.  He isn't light by any means, but he isn't stuck in brooding and shadows either.  I reckon he's also relatively psychedelic in his approach.  I enjoy those two sets, and I thought he did a very nice job in particular with Alice in Wonderland, which could very easily have been a goofy mess.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall R.Grief LP on RRR has always been very cheap and easy to get. And besides that, good on pressing/sound/covers. Its been long since I listened it, but by the gut feeling, I would recommend that one.
Indeed, plenty of american sound artists who in past crossed over to "noise scene". Obscure sound collages of Wiggins, nice experiemental ambient of Dimuzio, minimalistic feedback manipulations of Archane Device, experimental industrial sounds of P.Children, I guess PBK is mentioned on this board by myself? Or if not, it should! And these are just stuff from RRR old catalogue.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Speaking of Dimuzio...the Voice of Eye website says a collaboration is on the way.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bogskaggmannen

Just listened to the "Bacteria and gravity" LP on RRR - dated, for sure, but damn aint this very original music - I can't really say i've heard anything like it. Zeno's description is quite spot on - this covers a wide variety of "styles" (well, more just crazy mix of sounds and atmospheres) but it IS engaging. Experimental music in the true sense of the word.

Concrete Violin

The Alice in Wonderland 5xCD box is definitely worth checking out.  Really good surrealistic treatment of the subject matter.

Zeno Marx

Soleilmoon just announced the Alice in Wonderland 5CD will be re-released.  $26.99 + postage.

yeah...uh-huh...

"The CDs are presented in tall DVD case, with and 8 page color booklet. Most interesting to collectors are the "Alice in Wonderland" trading cards published in conjunction with the release. Sixty different cards have been created, each one corresponding to one of the sixty tracks on the CDs. The image on each card evolves from the last, like the frames of an animated film. The cards have each been printed in different edition sizes so that only 410 complete sets are possible. Five cards are included with each CD box set, but the cards are also sold in packs of 10, in the tradition of collectible trading cards."
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Niko

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 26, 2010, 02:04:04 AM
Soleilmoon just announced the Alice in Wonderland 5CD will be re-released.  $26.99 + postage.

yeah...uh-huh...

"The CDs are presented in tall DVD case, with and 8 page color booklet. Most interesting to collectors are the "Alice in Wonderland" trading cards published in conjunction with the release. Sixty different cards have been created, each one corresponding to one of the sixty tracks on the CDs. The image on each card evolves from the last, like the frames of an animated film. The cards have each been printed in different edition sizes so that only 410 complete sets are possible. Five cards are included with each CD box set, but the cards are also sold in packs of 10, in the tradition of collectible trading cards."

Lol, What is this? Pokemon?
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.