Pica Disk: Keränen "Bats in the Attic" CD

Started by Henrik III, October 06, 2010, 12:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henrik III

Shameless self-promo:

KERÄNEN: BATS IN THE ATTIC

Pica Disk is proud to present "Bats in the Attic" - Keränen's solo debut full-length CD. This album has arrived to shatter Finland's pristine reputation. You thought they were a bunch of bland mobile-phone-touting Nords? Think again: from the swamps they came and to a swamp of blistering warped noise they now return. Active for years as Rulla, Tommi Keränen has been keener to raise hell on stage worldwide than to put in studio time. Though he's dirtied his hands as an Incapacitants and Pymathon collaborator and as a member of Testicle Hazard, Gentle Evil and Les Manures, solo releases have been rare indeed. His sound – messy, thick, out-of-control electronic chaos – now reaches boiling point, with source material recorded at the prestigious EMS in Stockholm using vintage analogue synthesizers.

Ppd within europe: $15
Ppd rest of the world: $17
To paypal: mail (at) lassemarhaug (dot) no

Will eventually be available from the usual outlets.

Audio Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7hl-zWsUY
Pica Disk: http://www.picadisk.com

GEWALTMONOPOL

I was utterly blown away (and quite daunted) by your set when you played just before me in Lahti 2008. I will remain impatient until I get hold of this release, be it just for myself or the honour of adding it in my distro. I see mongoloid Neil Campbell sings your praise as well but that's not your fault. My expectations for this are high!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Henrik III

I'm surprised to see that you are still reading (the noise section of) the other board. Anyway, to my ear the CD is remarkably similar sounding than the earlier shit (as it has fairly different sound sources) but I wouldn't be too surprised if you would hate it - looking forward to hear your judgement!

GEWALTMONOPOL

I give it a quick browse on the odd occasion and if there's anything of value, like your CD, then I take my time to investigate further. It doesn't happen often. I doubt I would ever hate anything you did. The change of sound may not be to my tastes but hating it would be out of the question. I reserve my hatred for those who've earned it. You thrown the gauntlet and for that I feel I will have to listen the shit out of this. Let's hope I like it. Easier that way.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Henrik III

Near-perfect noise for Jliat (fr. http://www.vitalweekly.net/754.html):

KERÄNEN - BATS IN THE ATTIC  (CD by Pica Disk)
Tommi Ker"nen  using vintage analogue synthesizers from EMS in Stockholm. Produces  a single piece of 35ish  minutes of analogue mayhem. Problematics
of writing about... about say the perfect. the perfect is both simple and difficult, like the blank sheet of paper- perfect until the first mark is made, the silence before sound. and then the great and historic background, the same old story that appears in the garden of Eden, through Greek and world wide myth. for whatever reason, laws of thermodynamics, evil spirits, id, ego, super ego conflict. Comodification of labour and theory, excess.noise is essentially easy and so difficult, or difficult and so easy, as a block of sound or sounds undifferentiated once achieved, and technically this is a relatively simple matter, even of making a mistake, e.g. the feedback loop, then once (this) nirvana is obtained what does one
do, it takes a god or Buddha to do nothing, to not interfere, not offer advice, change a detail, make a mark or even suggest a game of cards. Its not that Nirvana is hard or noise is difficult, its that human nature in the main will want to interfere and impose form, feeling,  and above all meaning. I.E. a non existent god is perfect and does not do this, but at a deeper level than human nature, nature itself abhors a vacuum - or as Nietzsche points out  nature never reaches perfection as if it could it would (have). I have one criticism of this work and its that at about 16 minutes there is a break which might indicate a second piece/track, but other than this human or natural intervention, this work is and remains, a perfect work of abstract noise. The proof of my thesis is the time it took and number of words written to say just this, but to anyone with ears who can listen that is what this work is, perfect. (jliat)
Address: http://www.picadisk.com