NOISE : Taste / Work / Talent

Started by Theodore, May 16, 2024, 03:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Quite often i use the word Talent regarding good noise making. Thinking of it -X world's problems- i probably use it as a way to speak, for mutual understanding. Cause to my mind Talent comes third, not even needed. It's all about Taste. Then comes Work to perfect skills / know gear and method, experiment with ideas and inspirations, try-fail-retry. - Is that order correct ? I think so. A tasteless hard-worker will stand mediocre at his best. A lazy guy with taste may has a chance to come up with something good, less often than not ofcource, but even his failures we wont see them, he has taste, he wont let them out. Thus Taste is the absolutely necessary !

Talent how ? For new ideas ? Is there really a possibility for these ? - What i would call Talent is to reach equal results with less Work than someone with the same Taste as you. - Trying to convert abstractness to mathematics here, i know, but you got my point.

Anything else to be added in the equition ?

But what is Taste and how it is achieved ? Most [?] of us [?] will agree what's good noise or not, what's exceptional, we know [?] to tell upon listening. - In creation, Taste is Knowledge with Self-Criticism. Too much of the latter will lower the Standards of new available material. The Shameless will prevail. - The fine art of walking on the rope ...
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

brutalist_tapes

possibly not the most popular opinion but i think you need to have some kind of musicality to make good noise. i dont mean being able to play an instrument traditionally, but a kind of primal musicality is needed imo. if that isnt there, you know, some sense of dynamics, "rhytm", composition etc. - it could be good, but then its more sound art than noise music you know?

host body

Reading or listening to noise musician interviews I've come to the conclusion that the only thing you need to make noise, good or bad is the correct gear and some patience. No talent or vision required per se, just fiddle around with a tape recorder for long enough and you'll be abled to produce perfectly listenable arkinoise.

Balor/SS1535

I think I agree with the taste-->work-->talent progression, as I would like to think that someone with taste and a work ethic would be capable of producing something worthwhile---even if the result is technically crude or not "fine around the edges" or whatever.

I think, though, that when thinking about art generally, there is a place for works produced out of work/talent without "taste" (if talent, removed from taste, means something along the lines of natural proficiency or skill on a technical level?).  Sometimes if someone shows that something is technically possible, then someone with less talent can come along, copy the procedure, but then apply it in a way guided by taste to create something great.

Commander15

Quote from: host body on May 16, 2024, 06:05:40 PMReading or listening to noise musician interviews I've come to the conclusion that the only thing you need to make noise, good or bad is the correct gear and some patience. No talent or vision required per se, just fiddle around with a tape recorder for long enough and you'll be abled to produce perfectly listenable arkinoise.

I think that it's possible to do it like that in the arkinoise / harsh noise / shaker-box-and-DOD -context. But i think when it comes to industrial-noise or "weird noise", the difficulty level ramps up significally to do passable and personal sounding stuff with no vision or talent.

Commander15

I see the axis of 'talent-vision-work/skill' as an holistic thing. Every factor in that axis effects another and lack of one also effects the outcome depending on the context where the axis is applied.

Theodore

To clarify, by NOISE i mean all styles, variations, hybrids. - NOT music played by traditional musical instruments with traditional ways in traditional composition / arrangements.

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on May 16, 2024, 05:37:59 PMi think you need to have some kind of musicality to make good noise

Maybe. Whether we like it or not, we, by nature or nurture, are made to react in certain things.

Quote from: host body on May 16, 2024, 06:05:40 PMReading or listening to noise musician interviews I've come to the conclusion that the only thing you need to make noise, good or bad is the correct gear and some patience. No talent or vision required per se, just fiddle around with a tape recorder for long enough and you'll be abled to produce perfectly listenable arkinoise.

You cant came to that conclusion ! What's the correct gear when Jerman drags leaf-branches or plays with stones ? Yes, that's Talent. And what a Confidence ! 'Sit, and listen to me playing with my stones.' - Even for harsh noise, you threw Man totally out of the window. Reduced to a chimp slaved to twist knobs and push buttons till ... Yeap, someone has to decide, this sounds good, i ll combined it with that, i ll explore it further, it's ready. The Man.

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on May 16, 2024, 06:34:34 PMSometimes if someone shows that something is technically possible, then someone with less talent can come along, copy the procedure, but then apply it in a way guided by taste to create something great.

Good point regarding the technical side of Talent.

-

I like the word Vision that is mentioned. I hadnt thought about it. I see it related to both Taste and Talent, but i cant tell to which is closer. - Vision could be guided by Taste, but also could be by pure Talent, the visionary / abstract side of Talent, not necessary by inventing something new, but by ... well, i cant explain it. See Jerman.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"