Surround sound noise releases

Started by Marko-V, December 03, 2016, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko-V

Is there any other surround sound noise releases than Merzbow's Camourflage? No matter if they have been originally made as multichannel or expanded/re-mixed from stereo/quadraphonic originals (like Lou Reed's 2010 re-release of MMM). Also recommendations of other experimental and ambient surround releases are welcome.

holy ghost

John Wiese "GGA" LP is a two channel mix down of a 4 or 6 multichannel installation. I think he's done a few others like this.

david lloyd jones

assume this means quadraphonic or 5:1:1 sound-511 being a more modern quad sound
there was a Boyd rice cd tat had an extra disc in the 511 sound

Marko-V

Quote from: holy ghost on December 03, 2016, 04:29:52 PM
John Wiese "GGA" LP is a two channel mix down of a 4 or 6 multichannel installation. I think he's done a few others like this.
Not really interested in stereo mixdowns. I wish they had been released as multichannel audio discs. Maybe not enough market for them?

Quote from: david lloyd jones on December 03, 2016, 04:34:57 PM
there was a Boyd rice cd tat had an extra disc in the 511 sound
Bloody hell, I totally forgot that. I even have it but haven't listened it for a very long time because my home stereo setup was not that good back then.
I think Robert Hampson released a multichannel DVD-Audio for Mego some years ago.

Henrik III

Not noise per se but Marcus Schmickler's Altars of Science is some kind of a hybrid disc with 5.1 mix.

Edit: also the Helsinki (or Suomenlinna) live LP/DVD of Lehn - Schmickler duo has a surround mix. Both are great works!

NO PART OF IT

Elainie Lillios has really good album for fans of musique concret a la Olivia Block et al, and there is a lot on this label that does stellar surround sound releases.  I am not sure why it isn't listed as such, but it is a data disc with mp3s and surround sound files.  I also enjoyed work on this label by Francis Dhomont, Robert Normandeau, and Christian Bouchard.  

https://www.discogs.com/Elainie-Lillios-Entre-Espaces/release/3279151

-
Manorexia is a side project of JG Thirlwell (FOETUS), and the album "Dinoflagellate Blooms" is a surround sound album.  It is not pure noise, but there are enough elements of ambient, musique concret, and avant-garde classical for me to recommend it.  
-
Also, ahem, please forgive the plug, but this is a DVD that is not entirely surround sound, although it features a 40 minute surround sound piece by BLOOD RHYTHMS.  

https://nopartofit.bandcamp.com/album/333redux

Quote from: Henrik III on December 05, 2016, 09:51:26 PM
Not noise per se but Marcus Schmickler's Altars of Science is some kind of a hybrid disc with 5.1 mix.

Edit: also the Helsinki (or Suomenlinna) live LP/DVD of Lehn - Schmickler duo has a surround mix. Both are great works!

Marcus Schmickler is excellent!   I started with Onea Gako (1993) and I would really like to be able to devour any of his work in surround sound.  
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Marko-V

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on December 08, 2016, 10:56:14 AM
Manorexia is a side project of JG Thirlwell (FOETUS), and the album "Dinoflagellate Blooms" is a surround sound album.  It is not pure noise, but there are enough elements of ambient, musique concret, and avant-garde classical for me to recommend it.

Thanks for a tip! I've liked almost everything i've heard from JG so this goes on top-10 of my 'most wanted' list.