PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

QuoteCurrently listening to GENOCIDE "Stench of Burning Flesh" tracks from the LP. I'm debating on whether or not to order it...

Is it similar musically to the Repulsion album (I see many of the tracks have the same titles, but are they already as fast as the Repulsion versions?)? And how bad/good is the sound?

FreakAnimalFinland

That reminds me of Finnish band GENOCIDE. Great 12"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlDtcaBnz0
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: eyestrain on August 16, 2013, 01:00:44 AM
So grateful for SI#9 rekindling a dying interest in harsh noise.

cheers! There's been many talks with various people and I still have a gut feeling the good "normal" harsh noise would be on the new rise?!

OBSERVATION CLINIQUE "The mental answer 1" LP
mr. Swastika Kommando works from 1984. A-side is a bit too much repeating the simple high pitched oscillation loops, but b-side is something that I'd actually rate over The New Sadism LP. Lo-fi, yet still piercing electronic noise. Not as wanky as a-side. Cover art builds nice atmosphere.

Militaris-tic "curse of weapons" LP, finnish apocalyptic metallic crust in old style. Pretty raw sound. Funebre "carnal torment" LP, re-issue of demo 89/90. Downtuned Finn-death. Yeah, better than debut LP. And I must say I'm more and more hooked to that Harbinger Sound's Small Cruel Party 3xCD. It's been every day late-night listening before (or while-) going to sleep. I rarely listen at headphones, but this stuff works well for that.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: acsenger on August 16, 2013, 01:40:54 PM
QuoteCurrently listening to GENOCIDE "Stench of Burning Flesh" tracks from the LP. I'm debating on whether or not to order it...

Is it similar musically to the Repulsion album (I see many of the tracks have the same titles, but are they already as fast as the Repulsion versions?)? And how bad/good is the sound?

I listened to most of it on youtube & it sounds pretty much like Repulsion. Quality is good other than a couple of reh tracks. I decided I didn't need it as I have the orig. LP from Repulsion & the double cd set on Relapse (Jonathan from Deathpile did the layout).

I think Genocide became Repulsion only because there was another band called Genocide.

acsenger

QuoteI listened to most of it on youtube & it sounds pretty much like Repulsion. Quality is good other than a couple of reh tracks. I decided I didn't need it as I have the orig. LP from Repulsion & the double cd set on Relapse (Jonathan from Deathpile did the layout).

Thanks, in the meantime I also found out all Genocide material is also on the Repulsion 2CD set that I also have (totally forgot what the second CD was). I've listened to the entire set on Bandcamp (at work) and the Genocide recordings from Jan 1986 indeed sound pretty much like Repulsion. To think they played grindcore when Slayer's Reign in Blood hadn't been recorded yet is mindblowing...

Scat-O-Logy

Currently spinning "Sources Of Power From Another World" a 3-way split consisting of UND, MITB and BU. I always thought UND was a grindcore band but that assumption ended up being completely false, instead I got some very cool industrial tunes with nice old vibe. Some tape manipulations and strange samples to make it even more interesting. Really good! About MITB, never liked the band, but on the other hand I never paid too much attention to their works either. On this record they sound very fucking good but I still have some issues with the death metal grunting that they ended up using on some of these tracks as well. Luckily on this record the vocal duties were provided by Forrest so it doesn't sound completely retarded, a little absurd maybe, but retarded? Fuck no! Really liked the lyrics on "Bad Apple", brought a smile to my face, hah! BU was nothing new to me since I had heard this track on BU comp but I still have to admit that it's very fucking good piece. Grindcore or diarrhea, as I like to call it, is definitely not my kinda stuff but BU masters that as much as he masters HN and pure mothafuckin filth. I'm so clad that I finally found this record for reasonable price and in nice condition. I have a feeling that this one will spend some quality time on my turntable for years to come.

Next up: "Sources Of Power From Another World" a 3-way split consisting of UND, MITB and BU.

EDIT: The track was "Bad Apple" rather than "Lesson's Translation Applied To Man".

Zeno Marx

eyestrain, which Bayle have you heard? If you have the interest, and assuming you haven't heard it, I'd recommend Son Vitesse-Lumière.  It and Divine Comédie are what I consider the top of the heap of music concrete.

Finnish Genocide smokes for that style.  When I hear someone talking about Genocide, that's the first band to come to mind.

Scat-O-Logy, did you get the silver or white cover of Sources Of Power From Another World?  Not that it really matters, but you didn't see either pressing pop very often prior to Discogs.  Strange album to have more than a single pressing.

Speaking of the early days of grindcore, tape trading was crazy back then.  The metal folk were rapid-fire communicating all over the world.  It's easy to forget, and maybe hard to imagine, pre-internet.  Postage was so cheap that kids could get several packages a week out of just a tiny allowance.  The straight-edge guys were almost as rabid.  Master rehearsals (Paul Speckmann).  Napalm Death and everything Mick Harris (he must have had hundreds of penpals).  The first time I ran into any of this was through a fresh Polish immigrant skinhead.  He was receiving new demos, rehearsals, and live tapes on a daily basis.  I reckon I mention this because it makes sense how grindcore spread; unlike how early punk simultaneously sprung up all over the world (Japan, Sweden, Finland, Germany etc) without such a network of trading and correspondence.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 17, 2013, 07:55:12 AM
eyestrain, which Bayle have you heard? If you have the interest, and assuming you haven't heard it, I'd recommend Son Vitesse-Lumière.  It and Divine Comédie are what I consider the top of the heap of music concrete.

All I've heard is the release on Recollection GRM. Will have to dig into your recommendations. Thanks!

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 17, 2013, 07:55:12 AM
Scat-O-Logy, did you get the silver or white cover of Sources Of Power From Another World?  Not that it really matters, but you didn't see either pressing pop very often prior to Discogs.  Strange album to have more than a single pressing.
I got the one with silver cover. Ordered bunch of stuff from Silentes who has always been very trustworthy seller and when I was ready to pay, I decided to check his selection once more, spotted that record and grabbed it immediately. So happy that I purchased it, can't think of anyone who would sell it for 20€ (shipped).

Zeno Marx

Gore Beyond Necropsy - Demo #1 I Recommend You... AMPUTATION! (1992) - thank goodness for those who rip their shit - sorry I sold almost all my Japanese demos when I had a distro; missing that feel a lot the last few years.
Wellington - discography (2000)
Unruh - Misery Strengthened Faith (1997) - for my money, maybe the only band that could give His Hero is Gone a run for their money, and Ryan Butler was one of my favorite HC guitarists of the 90s.
Structure of Lies - demo 2002 - from just after the switch from Unruh, so they still sound more HC than death metal, which is not the case by the time they were on Deep Six.
Led Zeppelin - live shows because I ran into The Song Remains the Same movie, and I cannot get some of it out of my head.
Fire + Ice - Hollow Ways (1994) - the better of these two albums.
Fire + Ice - Gilded by the Sun (1992) - some surprising 80s indie rock tracks.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 17, 2013, 11:23:26 PM
Fire + Ice - Hollow Ways (1994)

Always was my favorite, sometimes fighting for the place with Birdking.

MT

Sick Seed - Helsingin synagogat 7"

Title track is absolutely great, best SS track I have heard. Keep playing it over and over again. B-side is a bit more tougher one to swallow but neverthless good. This 7" really took me by surprise. Highly recommended!!

Scat-O-Logy

Since the deluxe vinyl reissue of Black One is just around the corner, I have been spinning a lot of Sunn O))) records. Last night listened to Dømkirke and today warmed my ears up with White1 before going to my all time favorite, Altar, which is a collaboration between Sunn O))) and Boris. Dømkirke and Altar are among my favorite records of all time but White1 have been left for lesser attention, mostly because I haven't been able to buy the vinyl version yet. I was seriously turned off by the drum machine on The Gates Of Ballard but other than that it was quite good. Not amongst my favorites but still very good and entertaining album. The closer of White1, A Shaving Of The Horn That Speared You, is seriously amazing track, really enjoyed that one. Should spin Monoliths & Dimensions soon. That one is also amongst my all time favorites, hah. Sunn O))) simply is awesome!

Now spinning: Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull

I always thought Earth wasn't nothing too important but their discography from 2005 onwards is really interesting and please, don't get me wrong, Earth 2 & Phase 3 are definite classics and really powerful albums but not just for me. Just like the back discography of Sunn O))), it doesn't really do much for me. It's nice to blast them from huge speakers but they aren't something I would play that frequently.

dmkerr

Playing in my office at the moment... Salt Marie Celeste by Nurse With Wound.