PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

Good to hear you like it NEHPF. I'll make no bones about Kevlar being the next band on Unrest but the main reason for the above mention was to highlight yet another name that is removed from old horseshit like Consumer Electronics, TNB, Ramleh, Skullflower and the rest of those has beens clinging on for dear life. The UK is moving on and Kevlar are another outfit who are part of the push. I of course take no credit for what they're doing but I am proud to have added them to the Unrest banner. I'm yet to hear what they are working on next but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, as they say, kick ass.

Here's an old track from before Alpha Strife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNl7VFAsIc

A little unfocused and could do with tightening up but all the ingredients are there. KEVLAR to my ears, eyes and all other senses are just the fucking ticket. This is EXCACTLY the rocket that the UK needs up its arse.

The CD-r is still in stock and can be ordered from the band for those who want a copy.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

eyestrain

Lebensfaden - Bessessenheit (Lust Vessel): "Obsession", a very appropriate article for the start of anyone in the LV lineage. I'm still not sure what it is, but this is one of the only encampments that rides the cliches of sex and violence that still wets my whistle. Not that this necessarily sets them apart, but the severe facelessness as well as the perfected aesthetic can only help. Lily Vice has to be one of the best talents in the visual side of noise.
Anyway, I thought it would be beneficial to look back at a much-hyped album a few years after the fact. Lebensfaden, next to Gaze Campaign, has to be my least lusted after member of the family. Ironically, seems like these two are the most respected, or so I've seen. This was always my favorite release by them/him/her, and that still remains true. Better yet, I think I find this more successful now than when I heard it originally. This act is a step aside from the usual feedback-laden work that the label typically unleashes; this is oscillator-rich, dark industrial mire. The visual clue is medical/surgical, botched or not, as is the case with basically all of Lebensfaden's output. That kind of painful, paranoid, anxious fear that you could associate with the operating table is well placed with the album(s). I feel no relief, during or after my listening experience. Just ugly. Blown out and retro, but without feeling like rehash.

Ho. Turner - Systematic/Synergetic/Synchronistic/Syntonized/Sensitized! (Entr'acre): Look, if you told me this was a new album by Will Over Matter, I'd have little reason to suspect otherwise. It's the sampling and field recording that make it a lie. The rest is ultra-primitive sines, cro-magnon synth tones and bummy drummachine beats. Interesting to see this completely unrelated synchronity separated by two or three decades and a myriad of differing personal interests. No Siitoin recordings (sorry guys), but instead some sparse radio chatter and a fascinating manipulation of a Native American ceremony. It's a bit dated at moments, but I also don't think there was ever any intention for this to be overtly contemporary. The little bio that the label gives on Turner leaves me curious to know more. Any kind of unrepentant, over-productive artist seems worth hearing about.

V/A - Sverige (Release The Bats): Kinda forgot about this LP after picking it up for next to nothing. A little mind-boggling considering that this thing's a total scorcher. A real healthy dose of variety without ever being aimless or unnecessary. The only red thread being the un-smiling nature of everyone's contribution. Funny to hear this now and see the foreshadowing that was clearly presented: that "Swedish tape noise" sound, that "Posh Isolation" sound, etc... A stellar comp that is still out there for the taking.

acsenger

Merzbow - Normal Music (tape, Blossoming Noise, 2010)

Reissue of a tape from 1982. Akita and Kiyoshi Mizutani are credited with drums, organ, violin etc. This is a very unusual recording by Merzbow. There is recognizable drumming throughout, I assume played by Akita--in a sloppy way, I should add, although it doesn't matter much since his playing is mostly "free". "Free playing" applies to the whole tape which is very much an experiment, in the true sense of the word. Side A features the organ heavily, while side B has violin playing towards the beginning, some noise (noise as such is largely absent from this tape) and the last few tracks can even be described as groovy (as in there are downright groovy drum parts). It all sounds like the two guys took drums, an organ, a violin and some noise-making devices and set out to play around with basic elements of rock-like music, without ever playing "normal" music. It's a genuinely experimental tape, and unusual even compared to early Merzbow. Musically it's nothing special, to be honest (although it has its moments), but as a curious and interesting listening experience, it certainly works.

Andrew McIntosh

Two cassettes from Impulsy Stetoskopu have been on repeat for me lately. Got them a few months ago, played them a great deal, went on to other things and have now come back to these tapes. Always a good sign.

Murderous Vision I first read about in our favourite magazine, but to be honest the name of the project put me off - a tad too un-imaginative. This "Hidden Histories" album, though, easily impressed me and continues to do so. It's all about the layers, long tones and rushes of sound and noise that blend in together and weave around each other in a dull yet full rustle that can be heard as both harsh and soft, if that conveys anything. Power Ambient? Noise Drone? Regardless, these are pleasurable pieces of layers from both electronic and acoustic sources through various effects. Some occasional rhythmic elements touch with Industrial roots, and Gary Mundy provides vocals on the final, titular track, but this is mostly a long, abstract grind through varying shades of darkness.

The duo Mariann Kafer was completely new to me, but despite my ignorance had been active at the start of the nineties before disbanding and re-banding in 2010. There's a detailed introduction to the group in the tape sleeve notes. The two long soundscapes here are collages of sample loops and electronics that, interestingly, are also as multi-layered as the Murderous Vision tape but in this case the sounds are divergent enough to be picked out. Still, there are so many things going on that it's like listening to a condensed version of entire worlds. The lines of sound come, do their thing, and go, but coming and going can be unnoticed as the entire pieces proceed. Complex and satisfying.

The first tape came out recently, so there still should be copies left (should point out it's a one sided tape, but decent length), the other tape came out last year, not sure if it's still available.
Shikata ga nai.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on October 04, 2014, 06:50:16 AM
Two cassettes from Impulsy Stetoskopu have been on repeat for me lately. Got them a few months ago, played them a great deal, went on to other things and have now come back to these tapes. Always a good sign.

The first tape came out recently, so there still should be copies left (should point out it's a one sided tape, but decent length), the other tape came out last year, not sure if it's still available.

Thanks Andrew for these words, as always insightful.... especially in case of MARIANN KAFER, a little known French duo. They have deserved for more attention in my opinion

Yes, as everybody knows, I don't run massive label propaganda :) so both cassettes are still available. :)

Taking the opportunity I would like to inform that soon (the end of this year and beginning of 2015) I should issue some great records (on CD): DERNIER DU CULTE (re-issue of cassette + bonus tracks) and ENTRE VIFS (a new material). The cassette with the newest material of LINEKRAFT and the next part of THE ARCHIVE OF POLISH INDUSTRIAL MUSIC PRESENTS (on CD-Rs).
The fourth and the latest volume of ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF INDUSTRIAL MUSIC is planned on ending of 2015 (I hope).

SiClark

Got home late last night travelling all day and came back to find  - Shift / Am Not / S.T.A.B. Electronics ‎– Three Pillars Of Controlled Domination CDr had arrived. Three tracks, each artist with their interpretation of a Con-Dom track. It is just what I needed to hear, very brutal recordings, absolutely superb. Don't know if there are any left, sold through Unrest Productions.

GEWALTMONOPOL

There are still about ten left. Email unrestproductions@yahoo.co.uk for details.

Simon! While trying to text you this morning I instead managed to delete your number. Could you ring or text me when convenient for you.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

NEHPF

Dachau Lustknaben ‎– Brandenburgische Halsgerichtsordnung C60 Jeremy Bamber Tapes

High pitched feedback and completely bizarre mickey mouse vocals. Great stuff!

Aaron Dilloway ‎– Door With No Handle C30 Hanson Records

Tape loops. Couple more musical moments, but mostly just crude noisy junk.

Levas

I've been spinning forever own Rumunija/ Obšrr / Vilkduja - III CD and Sonne Hagal - Ockerwasser that was just released via tesco a few days ago or so. Suitable for autumn. Though Sonne Hagal is always so to say primitive neofolk, but anyways, it has something sincere in that.

Last Dominion Lost ‎– Towers Of Silence - thanks for this! I've heard the name before, but never listened to it I guess. Now this new CD is truly excellent work.

Dark Matter - How cold is the sun - one of those releases that I don't get

Peter Andersson - Music for film and exhibition 3 -without film and exhibition I was jumping around and waiting until this ends

Der Blutharsch And The Infinite Church Of The Leading Hand ‎– Today I Want To Catch Clouds - is this just a variation of name of Blutharsch? Single project of one of the members? I never was into that band, but this CD has its nice moments

Atrium Carceri - The Untold - well, quite enjoyable dark ambient. Far better than Dark Matter for my taste.

Sutcliffe Jugend - Blue Rabbit - I've had a chance to listen to it just now. Well, it's like in life there are people who are drinking alco, pissed at everything and so on, and they suddenly become enlightened and very calm, smoking weed and enjoying sunny days. So this is like SJ. In Blue Rabbit they are calm from the outside though lyrix and overall mood is like the reflection of their past. Nice album overall.

Bocksholm - Caged inside the beast of the forge - pure industrial - metal percussions etc. Good stuff

Funerary Call - Fragments from the Aethyr - listened to it quite long ago, but I remember it being interesting.

Richard Youngs - Primary Concrete Attack - not my music. Blip blop etc.

Theologian - Some Things Have To Be Endured - nice cover and well, good quality Theologian material. I didn't listen to much of his stuff though

Contagious Orgasm + Kadaver - I have sort of antipathy towards the latter project so I was quite skeptic about this, but it turned out to be pretty average and listenable noise

Apoptose - Ana Liil - Enjoyed the cover even more than the music, but music seemed quite ok though primitive stuff.

VA - Epicurean Escapism II - The Epicurean has still to disappoint me. Amazing sounds. Jarl seemed slightly lighter than usual to me, but it's not bad. Other projects - IRM, Krank, Human Larvae + Anemone Tube in their own tracks delivering goods. Don't miss that please. Didn't have time to watch videos yet.

Andrew McIntosh

Had another listen to The Vomit Arsonist's "Wretch" album today. It's still an album I rate very highly. Sound-wise, it combines elements - smooth dark-ambient keys with screaming feedback and harshness, black death-industrial vibes with raging power-electronics, and a precisely recorded set of sound sources with a bleak, gritty production. It's the masterful blend of those elements, together with a genuine and immediate sense of structure, that makes this album work. This is something I like to listen to now and again, and have never tired of.

Was also listening to Slogun's "Tearing Up Your Plans", which is something I've never really sat down to listen to before, and found myself very moved and impressed by the stark, filthy use of electronics. Although bezerk, there is also a sense of structure and noticeable differences in sound and feel between tracks. Although I usually associate Slogun with more synth-powered PE, this sounds more like raw electronically created sounds. Very nice.
Shikata ga nai.

andy vomit

IRM - Closure...

Easily the best thing I've heard this year, and possibly my favorite IRM release.  Masterfully crafted, well focused "power electronics" -- a genre term which I feel is debatable when applied to this album.  It's an experience..
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

FreakAnimalFinland

IRM CD listened twice so far. Not yet to make final conclusion on it. I guess its been said several times it's debatable wither to call it at all PE album, and I guess it would do more justice them to not do so. Drums, acoustic instruments, often dramatic almost orchestral droning, and vocals that are pretty much what Bladh has always done, but also leaning towards high pitched howl of Scott Walker later days work like entire IRM approach on songs too..

TAINT "Justmeat" LP - fuck. I had vague feel that this wasn't among best Taint recordings, but it IS. Fucking Great power electronics assault!!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 14, 2014, 07:57:39 AM
TAINT "Justmeat" LP - fuck..... Fucking Great power electronics assault!!

had the same response when I spun this for the first time last night. having heard only a small amount of Taint material, this was proper audio rape. I especially found the last two tracks on both sides to be very captivating/fist raisingly good. all i could think was "fuck, this is great!"
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Jaakko V.

Tervahäät - Taival CD (Anima Arctica, 2014)

The latest record from Tervahäät. Another example of their idiosyncratic neofolk/ambient/ritual music. Bleak and melancholy, lo-fi sound, lyrics sung in Finnish. They create and record their stuff in remote wooden cabins, which can be heard directly in their music. Somehow this time partly in a slightly more 'rocking' way than before, although I'm not sure if they'd agree, hehe... A couple of tracks can be heard at Anima Arctica's website, but the true gem of this record is the ending-track, Taival, an long and etheric mixture of remote clanging percussive sounds, minimal guitar, and desolate waves of "post punkish" keyboard pads. Minimal and devastatingly beautiful.

Baglady

V/A - INTROVERTED FORMULA - DLP (Järtecknet)
This double LP is very much in line with the latest Järteckned output, but well... even more introverted. Altar Of Flies gives the most personal contribution here, with a few short pieces made from objects associated with people near him who recently passed away. All sounds are very mellow and calm, not a moment being even remotely harsh. A very demanding listen even by AoF standards, but rewarding! The Blodvite side is pretty much like his latest tape releases, and that's certainly not a bad thing. Very uneasy, fragile atmospheres. Voices coming and going. Grows with each listen. Nice! Elisha Morningstar was just a familiar name to me before hearing this. For some reason I expected calm and passive harsh noise, if that makes any sense. Wrong of me, apparently. EM fits good among the swedes, maybe too good?! It's all well crafted, the pace is good and all, but it strikes me as a bit anonymous here. While the other three acts sound very much like we know them in their respective ways, this sounds unpersonal. As stated though, I haven't heard anything else by EM, so perhaps I don't know... Anyway, Sewer Election & Anders Dahl really deliver the goods. Dahl brings ringing metallic droning sounds on top of SE:s field sounds. It all settles halfway through, stripping down to just distant sounds and some water dripping, and then it all starts again suddenly. Might seem lazy described like this in a review I guess, but it works really well.
Altar of Flies and Sewer Election & Anders Dahl shares the gold medal here, and Blodvite is perhaps better than ever. Elisha Morningstar, while being somewhat anonymous in this fine company, is promising. Very nice compilation, from the great sounds down to the beautifully boring yet tasteful layout and the fantastic photos on the inserts. Most probably one of the better releases this year for me.