Strange or unique gear?

Started by Peterson, October 12, 2011, 05:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettu

Quote from: andy vomit on October 14, 2011, 02:08:52 AM
it was all based on light and objects. 

I dont know about playing a lamp but those fluorescent lights sound better than 90% of ambient releases. maybe a little flickering to make it intresting or just a harsh bzzzzzzz. especially industrysized lamps but ive heard smaller good ones too,

stringed instruments even when  extreme diy objects are pretty standard sound making,right.
not enough cogwheel noisers.

Bloated Slutbag

Knurl has mic'd up and played all kinds of customized welded monstrosities, typically approached in performance with a metal prong or two. Some of these things could be pieces of art I suppose. Not sure what happens to em when he gets bored. One memorable peformance he gave was an outdoor one, hurling boulders at a very long, er, length of chain-linked fencing. For pure physicality, though, his double-dildo'd assault-on-a-toaster phase delivered the goods every time.

Kiyoshi "white gloves" Mizutani, aka the Noise Scientist, brings new "gear" to every show. Basically, discarded metal scraps, hubcaps, long steel bars, etc, he finds in the immediate vicinity of the venue. The performance generally involves an unhurried, semi-bemused exploration of feedback in relation to the various objects, speakers, the performance space, and audience members. It looks, sounds, feels, and smells like a kind of field trip with the wacky science teacher, you remember, from your sophomore year in highschool. Maybe a tad heavy on the ozone.

There's an excellent harshnoise show performed regularly at the local science center. They close all the doors, turn off the lights, and instruct parents to cover their children's ears. They then blast a sheet of glass with 20,000V of raw electricity. A few times for good measure. Kids are crying, moms exclaining, "Sugoi desu ne!" Pretty funny stuff. I used to think it was hilarious that they did this every day, five times a day, all year, but was disappointed to later learn that it is only done on the weekends. I wonder if the energy saving policies following the nuclear accident have put a dent in this little show.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

ImpulsyStetoskopu

http://www.tochnit-aleph.com/gt/main.html

GENETIC TRANSMISSION, Polish project connected to Schimpfluch-Gruppe family.

Jaakko V.

One guy built this for me. A bit geeky, but I like it. Transforms images and objects into sounds... In his own words, "In principle it is a laser circle scanner with a photocell to detect light reflecting from objects put in the laser's path."

http://yehar.com/blog/?p=2461

Jaakko V.

Mäsä Instruments: Cowbells from Hell

http://vimeo.com/67827650

Standard stuff for anyone who's been doing experimental music by electroacoustic means, but rather nice video. Good demonstration of techniques and sounds. Reminds me of some bits of Umpio's gear.