Filthy Turd, Vile Plumage, Urdwygg The Goldrr, etc (Wyngarde thread)

Started by Peterson, August 26, 2017, 12:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Apologies if I'm being nosy, but I'm looking for tapes by Urdwyg The Goldrr and Mackle Jackle (side projects of D.W./Filthy Turd) to little avail, was curious if someone wouldn't mind passing along his email or parting with their copies of any tapes. Thanks!

Duncan

Peterson

Thanks D & D.

Perhaps we could turn this into a Wyngarde-project appreciation thread?

Urdwygg The Golderr "Cassette Psychic vol. 4" (self-released)
          God damn. You know when they say, "be careful what you wish for?" Well, here you have a perfect example. I've been hungry for more "what the fuck is going on" moments in listening lately that "fuck yeah" that straight-on harsh noise or PE generally delivers. That means, weird tape stuff, but not so much the dour/austere stuff like I often do or typically listen to. No pretension, no artfulness. This stuff is exactly that. Confusing, frustrating, sometimes outright funny - who says humor doesn't belong in music? So long as it isn't some internet meme sarcasm bullshit! Anyway, sound-wise this is shit-fidelity tape cut-ups of everything from loops, tape-sped noise and watery sounds, sub-Jandek two-chord guitar with drunken rambling, field recordings of birds chirping, to spliced-in ravings of a madman. There are even some quite beautiful piano moments that still manage to be pretty dirty and saturated. Stop button and pause button seem to be the most prominent "instruments" here alongside the pitch wheel. I really cannot think of anything to compare this to except Brian Lewis Saunders, Eric Lunde, and (I say this with much hesitation) Good Area. Similarly irreverent but without the self-conscious attitude you see in this interview: http://thefanzine.com/no-word-is-as-beautiful-as-no-an-interview-with-allen-mozek/ For the opposite of that, look no further.

AXNAAR

Another project of Wyngarde, perhaps lesser know, is Makaka - a neanderthal noise rock band he made with a group of local lads in Stoke - I believe he posted an ad somewhere and the first lads to get in touch made up the band. When I put them on several years ago in Manchester Darren sang into a female crowd members feet then removed one of her high-heels, placed the mic inside and sang into that, I think he was wearing a tuxedo - it was great fun! I have some of their CD's if anyone wants to give it a go.