PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

How fucking good is Ke/Hil's "Zone 0"?!! I though "Hellstation" was okay at the time, but this release is just brilliant.
Shikata ga nai.

re:evolution

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 28, 2015, 06:17:40 AM
How fucking good is Ke/Hil's "Zone 0"?!! I though "Hellstation" was okay at the time, but this release is just brilliant.

Absolutely agreed on both counts.  More words explaining why: https://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/kehil-zone-o/
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Feber

Quote from: caveman on July 24, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
I actually stumbled upon a pretty entertaining bit of writing regarding Discharge's hair days a while back, complete with a full audio recording of a disastrous show in San Francisco. It takes about a minute for the chants of "FUCK YOU" to begin.

http://theappendix.net/issues/2013/7/rules-of-the-tribe-hardcore-punks-and-hair-metal-in-the-1980s

I particularly appreciate the "are you ready to receive Discharge" bit right at the beginning. Just goes to show that it's a name which suits a cock rock band even better than it does a punk one.

Hehe, read that one too, some time ago.

Also I agree that it is not the songs themselves that are the problem but the delivery. Or "problem", I mean I still find it enjoyable enough every now and then...

Levas

Kevin Drumm - Necro Acoustic 5xCD bought some of the stuff during Pica Disc sales (i.e. wandered into the land unknown for me with some of these purchases). Kevin Drumm was one of those that I've heard only name before and, well, I didn't become a huge fan after listening to these. There are some nice, static and quite painful parts in these that are enjoyable and discs are released in a luxurious box with booklet etc. Though not completely my cup of tea.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Levas on July 30, 2015, 10:45:18 AM
Kevin Drumm - Necro Acoustic 5xCD bought some of the stuff during Pica Disc sales (i.e. wandered into the land unknown for me with some of these purchases). Kevin Drumm was one of those that I've heard only name before and, well, I didn't become a huge fan after listening to these. There are some nice, static and quite painful parts in these that are enjoyable and discs are released in a luxurious box with booklet etc. Though not completely my cup of tea.

I like a couple that he did - Sheer Hellish Miasma and Land of Lurches. The rest of his stuff has passed me by, although I did read some good things about that 5CD.

SiClark

Quote from: Levas on July 30, 2015, 10:45:18 AM

I haven't listened to this in a while but the Organ CD is superb.

Major Carew

MENACING 84 - Self titled cassette (Wealth of Abuse) : Excellent.Very muddy & filthy but with enough punch,power & clarity that it works extremely well.Proper 'Necrosound'.What sounds like Con-Dom meets Pogrom style vocals buried underneath.It's very difficult to work out what the source sounds actually are for the most part,apart from the Nazi samples of course.Sounds like it was recorded in the bowels of fucking hell.

bogskaggmannen

ÄTTESTUPA "Vattnet drog sig tillbaka, stenarna blev synliga" LP [Järtecknet]

I've had the chance to live with this one the last month and even if the sounds are fairly modest, I think this is their best work but then again I was not too fond of the earlier recordings. More into recent Järtecknet-territory which means a lot of tape loops (with a partly almost sacral touch this time) and very much less of the "rock"-setting of old. Damn good! Out very soon.

FreakAnimalFinland

CONSTRAIN "Option to Hide" tape
New Forces
Label promises: A rare example of an artist not sacrificing dynamism in pursuit of harsh, raw textures. Flawless - a project at the forefront of contemporary Americanoise. And what I can say? Seems like New Forces is really claiming its place among new forces. 'zine hit the 4th issue and bunch of great releases done. This has many of the trademarks of the dynamic harsh noise in use, but simply in such a tasty and good way. Even stutter-loops work really well, which is unsusual for my taste. Texture and rawness is there despite excellency in technical execution. Must for harsh noise fans.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Grübelschlinge

Vapaudenristi/Pyhä Kuolema split 12"

While reading online media blitz smear campain againts latest Helsinki gig, Vapaudenristi always deliver, total support! Although have to say that their side is less loud in the mix compared to other side. PK brings quite tastefull, well recorded(neo-)folk songs, I have never heard the Svart album he did, might try. Somehow he sounds like a Finnish version of Fire & Ice to these ears.

Grübelschlinge

Command - Sturmangriff LP
Dear Mr. Mentor, thank you! I still think it is kinda absurd to have a Brazilian guy obsessed with German WWII stuff creating vilest music and Finnish guy releasing it to land in my German apartment.

Andrew McIntosh

Been listening to The Hater's "Rot" cassette a great deal lately. What I like about these spirals is that they are pretty much blocks of sound. It's not that there isn't any movement, it's just that there is no definitive "beginning" or "end", they are each pleasantly satisfying layers of various recordings of crashing and smashing. This is an aspect of Noise that I think is sometimes unappreciated. As much as I love the cold and calculated pieces of projects like Ke/Hil or AM NOT or ANTIchildLEAGUE or IRM or any number of other Industrial composers, I'll always return to pure chunks of unadulterated, fuck-you Noise, without any meaning or intention other than itself. Die unbelegte Fahne auf Hoch!
Shikata ga nai.

Baglady

SERAPIS - Rehearsal '96 CS
Sadly the only recorded material of this short lived band, consisting of members from Order From Chaos and (the undeservedly overlooked) Nepenthe. Allegedly Chuck Keller heard the stuff and stole more than a couple of riffs for his own bands, Vulpecula and Ares Kingdom. And I can see why, this is sort of in the same vein as those two bands. Good good stuff.

NEPENTHE - Live at Howards CS (Eternal Darkness)
Live recording from 1995. Five songs, of which two are covers (Tiamat and Sathanas). Great rough thunderous Kansas death metal in the vein of Order From Chaos, but with a slight melodic leaning. The sound is ok for what it is, and if you have heard their studio recordings (and the original songs which they cover here) it's more than easy to love this. Half of the band went on to join Ares Kingdom I think, but his is more to my liking.

VelvetCurtain

EDWIGE - Virgin Capricorn
[Antropofago Ateo]
Ha, grabbed this from John Wiese's table when we swung through Minneapolis a few days ago. Overall, this is worth checking out - Sewer Election, Kakerlak and The Rita. As with all things The Rita, I can appreciate approaching his walls like a piece of critical brutalist architecture or an austere piece of sculpture. I wish Sewer Election's vibe came through a tad bit more, though it's certainly apparent. This is not oppressive work so much as it is confusing and crumbling with weirdness. The artwork is basically fucking perfect. A lady friend of mine I was at the show with who does not listen to noise much looked at the album art and said "this is all of us." Not sure exactly what she meant but I love approaching sexualized pieces of wall noise and attempting to drag the thematics at hand into even more esoteric zones - images of famous actresses becomes vessels for personal, societal, political, philosophical meditations, realizations. Harsh Noise Wall perhaps not at its finest but totally at a high level of fascination.

Autopsy ‎– Severed Survival
[Peaceville]
I work in a kitchen, which I find to be one of the best places to listen to music. You can organize and listen critically in a way where leisure time is perhaps not the same experience. Death and black has been on the "menu" as of late and I'm loving approaching these heavy death metal record for the first time in years and loving how its kicks like a fat wall of power when one is "working." These riffs just fill my body up. Ugh. So good.

Nunslaughter - Hell's Unholy Fire
[Revenge Productions]
Haven't listen to this record since...middle school?...freshman year? Not sure, exactly. I still like this a lot and it's a lot of fun. But, really, that's all it really is. Just fun. Lyrics are too goofy to take too seriously and the guitars sound like a fucking slab of meat or something. Vital record to listen to if you're into bestial death metal. I guess I'd rather jam some Archgoat or something.

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath
[Peaceville]
Out of control. Darkthrone's finest moment if you ask. The perfect intersection of black metal, crust, hardcore, doom, and more. I know the cats in Darkthrone would likely say this is more in the line of tradition but I actually believe is this is a real work of art. Total fucking masterpiece and one of the angriest albums I've ever heard.

RyanWreck

Gouge - "Doomed to Death"

Never been a huge DM fan but the good stuff that comes from the genre tends to be some of my favorite Metal albums, this EP fits into that category. This is simplistic Death Metal of with nods to the less Thrahy material on "Scream Bloody Gore" and demo era Autopsy with a lot of proto-grind influence slathered all over it by the likes of Repulsion, the extremely under appreciated Attrocity - "Infected" LP, and another underrated masterpiece in Exulceration - "And the Sickness Began". Also check out that monocromatic, angry teenager scribbling in his notebook cover art! These dudes just put out an LP on HHR, finally, so I'm itching to check it out.