HNW Essentials ?

Started by Ashley Choke, October 21, 2010, 06:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessio

Quote from: Haare on November 03, 2010, 09:19:19 AMWhat irks me is about HNW is the "we're obsessed with Gialli"-trend. Fine, I like Argento etc. too but everyone doesn't have to start a HNW project about it...
ok, but just let me point out there's NOT MUCH HNW connected to giallo nowadays...
mostly richard ramirez's own projects and his friends

as an 'HNW artist' i feel quite uncomfortable by always being connected to that kind of stuff, and it's the same with a lot others, trust me
if you talk with other ppl involved in the scene, everybody will tell you that's just a false cliche
HNW isn't giallo inspired more than harsh noise is serial killer inspired

anyway, i completely understand why ppl doesn't like (or even hate) HNW, i may just say, do your own researches and find stuff you like and if you're really interested, ask artists about their thoughts and motivations on the genre, read some interviews (for example on www.musiquemachine.com), i'm pretty sure you'll change your mind (i mean, it could still be not your cup of tea, but you'll surely understand there's more than giallo behind it)

about HNW being easy to do, i'm not here to say the contrary, but guess we aren't judging 'art' by its difficulty since couple of decades..
then consider this: when everybody does very simple things, it becomes quite difficult to do interesting and valuable very simple things

Haare

Quote from: alessio on November 03, 2010, 03:53:25 PM
Quote from: Haare on November 03, 2010, 09:19:19 AMWhat irks me is about HNW is the "we're obsessed with Gialli"-trend. Fine, I like Argento etc. too but everyone doesn't have to start a HNW project about it...
ok, but just let me point out there's NOT MUCH HNW connected to giallo nowadays...
Through a quick Google search:

An innocent young throatcutter
Macchie Solari
Four flies
Vice Wears Black Hose
Fukte
LadyKiller
La Tarantola dal Ventre Nero
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Torso
L'occhio Nel Labirinto
Death Carries a Cane
House with laughing windows

...nuf said?

Btw I'm not opposed to HNW, I actually like some of the stuff. I just don't need so much of it & I wish people would use their imagination a bit more. "Hey, Giallo HNW! I can do that! I think I'll do it just like those other dudes!"

Matthias

If you are worried about running out of good names for your future projects, i give you the Giallo generator!
http://www.braineater.com/misc/giallo_intro.html

Infirmary

I enjoyed the Giallo generator, automatic aesthetic without having to actually watch the movie.

alessio

Quote from: Haare on November 03, 2010, 04:12:56 PM

Macchie Solari
Four flies
Vice Wears Black Hose
Fukte
LadyKiller
Torso
L'occhio Nel Labirinto
Death Carries a Cane

...nuf said?

Btw I'm not opposed to HNW, I actually like some of the stuff. I just don't need so much of it & I wish people would use their imagination a bit more. "Hey, Giallo HNW! I can do that! I think I'll do it just like those other dudes!"

that list just confirms what i told you, in fact almost ALL those ARE richard's own projects or his friends'
(i guess only Fukte isn't 'richard related', he's a friend of mine and probably just one or two of his releases have the giallo theme anyway)

check out richard's projects list on discogs
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Richard+Ramirez

anyway, EVERYBODY on the scene knows that almost only richard and his close friends are still using the giallo theme
please don't confuse his own obsession and tastes with the whole scene, that's plain false

tisbor

yeah there's actually not much giallo hnw besides richard's stuff .
i record hnw too and i'm not interested in giallo movies .

essentials :

the rita - thousands of dead gods
vomir - proanomie

Ashley Choke

QuoteWhy did you despise it? Because it didn't fit the genre you wanted it to?

When I heard the recording I didn't even know that this qualified as HNW, so no. I guess using the word "despised" was to harsh and unwise. It's not like I'm loosing sleep or vouch for a tribunal because of a noise record. It just did absolutely nothing for me. Hearing that you guys did it all as a big jam session actually makes me want to hear room recordings of such jams. I think that would be something I would enjoy more. But each to his own. I was definitely not trying to make unfriends but since you handled the criticism as an adult I guess I haven't in the end.

cheers

alessio

btw, more on topic, i guess this should work perfectly as introduction

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Stasis001/release/2332200

it's a data DVDr on canadian Stasis, you get a lot of quality shit from some of the 'big names', for cheap

Andrew McIntosh

Another data dvd; excellent. Good to see this trend continued. Pity it's limited to fifty copies, though, and the website is offline at the moment and not accepting orders. I hope to get one sometime.
Shikata ga nai.

Haare

Quote from: alessio on November 03, 2010, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: Haare on November 03, 2010, 04:12:56 PM

Macchie Solari
Four flies
Vice Wears Black Hose
Fukte
LadyKiller
Torso
L'occhio Nel Labirinto
Death Carries a Cane

...nuf said?

that list just confirms what i told you, in fact almost ALL those ARE richard's own projects or his friends'
(i guess only Fukte isn't 'richard related', he's a friend of mine and probably just one or two of his releases have the giallo theme anyway)

check out richard's projects list on discogs
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Richard+Ramirez

anyway, EVERYBODY on the scene knows that almost only richard and his close friends are still using the giallo theme
please don't confuse his own obsession and tastes with the whole scene, that's plain false
According to the discogs list, Richard's involved in four of those, so not exactly "almost all", but whatever, and afaik f.e. House with laughing windows is Mac of Koufar & some dude (he does have a project w/Richard though...Solange Tutunji, if memory serves.)
But I'll stop now. :)

Infirmary

QuoteWhen I heard the recording I didn't even know that this qualified as HNW, so no. I guess using the word "despised" was to harsh and unwise. It's not like I'm loosing sleep or vouch for a tribunal because of a noise record. It just did absolutely nothing for me. Hearing that you guys did it all as a big jam session actually makes me want to hear room recordings of such jams. I think that would be something I would enjoy more. But each to his own. I was definitely not trying to make unfriends but since you handled the criticism as an adult I guess I haven't in the end.

cheers

I do appreciate it, maybe I will remaster it with a spread out artificial room sound just to see what that might sound like.

Urashima

Quote from: alessio on November 03, 2010, 07:43:54 PM

I published an 4 way split Lp titled ''Giallo'' and I wrote my opinion between Giallo movie and HNW artist on the insert:

In the multitude of extreme musical genres that identified the name of HNW, is linked to content and inclination to the trend of Giallo. As for the murderer, who appears regularly with black raincoat, hat and gloves, often brandishing a razor, the creativity of the artist HNW is hidden behind a wall of noise apparently always the same. Situated at the back of an impenetrable layer of sounds are hidden perversions, violence, depravity and vice often accompanied by passion for knives and torture.

The artist conceives the isolation of the individual in the metropolitan context with a ''sounds barrier'' creating tension, uneasiness and fear. Are the same feelings you feel for the victims (usually young women) and the murderer in the context of the film. The individual (victim, executioner or just spectator) is no longer the man, but the citizen who fails to fit into society generating anxiety and depression which in extreme cases leads him to madness.

Infirmary

QuoteSituated at the back of an impenetrable layer of sounds are hidden perversions, violence, depravity and vice often accompanied by passion for knives and torture.

The way I interpreted that sentence means it goes beyond the movies, and you actually like these things you speak of like murder, perversion, and all that?

Out of curiosity, I'm only asking to make sure I don't misunderstand you.

alessio

Quote from: Urashima on November 05, 2010, 12:25:54 AMIn the multitude of extreme musical genres that identified the name of HNW, is linked to content and inclination to the trend of Giallo. As for the murderer, who appears regularly with black raincoat, hat and gloves, often brandishing a razor, the creativity of the artist HNW is hidden behind a wall of noise apparently always the same. Situated at the back of an impenetrable layer of sounds are hidden perversions, violence, depravity and vice often accompanied by passion for knives and torture.

The artist conceives the isolation of the individual in the metropolitan context with a ''sounds barrier'' creating tension, uneasiness and fear. Are the same feelings you feel for the victims (usually young women) and the murderer in the context of the film. The individual (victim, executioner or just spectator) is no longer the man, but the citizen who fails to fit into society generating anxiety and depression which in extreme cases leads him to madness.
that's an interesting way to put it, the parallel actually works
but that just one of the many metaphors which can be used

if you ask me, the concepts that actually define hnw as a genre easily are obsession and static

(giallo is just an obsession for some.. most hnw artists don't absolutely care about movies/killers as a theme for their work, but follow their own obsessions, in case they have one)

Urashima

Quote from: Infirmary on November 07, 2010, 04:09:09 AM
QuoteSituated at the back of an impenetrable layer of sounds are hidden perversions, violence, depravity and vice often accompanied by passion for knives and torture.

The way I interpreted that sentence means it goes beyond the movies, and you actually like these things you speak of like murder, perversion, and all that?

Out of curiosity, I'm only asking to make sure I don't misunderstand you.

Hey Rick, I'm not a serial killer of young beatiful women...