PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Saturnalia Temple new 12" on Ajna, forget the title. It's ok, standard doom/stoner metal with some psych (?) thrown in. Whatever.

"The Evil Dead"'13 ost- received a test pressing & have listened to one side. Pretty good, most likely, much better than the movie

Le Syndicat "30 Years..." 6 tape boxset from Influencing Machine- listened to the first tape & the 6th tape. Interesting that the earliest tape is more refined in nature than
the later work. I like L.S. quite a bit considering I'm not a huge fan of choppy noise. Best reissue this year, nice package/booklet, etc. I'd like to see I.M get ahold of a few of their very earliest tapes for reissues- there's not even photos for them on Discogs.

Mikerdeath

Goatpenis - Inhumanities

"Put On Goggles Or Turn Away"

eyestrain

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 21, 2013, 10:55:17 PM
Saturnalia Temple new 12" on Ajna, forget the title. It's ok, standard doom/stoner metal with some psych (?) thrown in. Whatever.

The Ur demo will forever be their greatest. A rare document of cthonian magic coming to the fleshly realm via music. Holds a lot of psychedelic power without the need of drugs. The rest has been f-u-z-z. Not so great.

V/A Tapeworks Vol. II + Tapeworks Vol. IV (Hästen & Korset): The perfect moody blues for a day that has been all rain. Lots of thick silences on both tapes, as well as many mellow moments. This interspersed with the heavy rain has had an intoxicating effect. Really great compilations. Very surprised by some of the compositions. Certainly not ideal listens if one's feeling in a HN mood. Excited to receive Vol. VI from the great Tordon Ljud distro soon. Also noticed on H&S' site that there's a Vol. VII in the works for the end of the year - to complete the series.

Cryme Mekonium (Beläten): Really bizarro...in the sense that there was nothing to enjoy about this at all.

Arghoslent 1990-1994 - The First Three Demos (Drakkar): Finally picked this up after years of adoring their more modern output. Fucking intense with that juvenile aura that makes them so great. A few songs sit like duds, but the others are almost some of the best they ever wrote!

Peste Noire Peste Noire (La Mesnie Herlequin): Loved L'Ordure à l'état Pur for being so utterly flamboyant. I would say this revels in that excess as well, but with simple guitar-bass-drums and occasional horn/string accompaniment. After many listens, I don't think I can love this quite as much. The pure "that's an awesome riff!" moments that were typical in their older albums are present and I do really enjoy that. Of course, not knowing a lick of French is fairly detrimental I'm sure.

Fortress Fortress (Rock-O-Rama): "Smash them both is my aim!!!"

FreakAnimalFinland

Pharmakon "Abandon" LP has received multiple spins here. First listened A side maybe 3 times before going to b. I think the final track is the weakest one, but album is much much better than I expected. From LP, at least!
I think beginning of album is very nicely done, scream perfectly blending into drone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60lYkmXeA8

Talking of Fortress, quite similar vocal sound in german Race War. "Stimme Des Blutes" CD been recent obsessive listening. Vocals are one of the major things why it kicks ass. Often riffs are utterly simple. Some slightly out-of-ordinary (in RAC context, that is) rhythms/drum patterns appear here are there, but in general it almost solely works on charisma of vocalist. It was kind of strange to see him in real-life (without commando mask used at gig) when that vocal sound and looks (like so often) gives impression that wasn't waiting this. "They Were The Heroes" from older album is the utmost hit, but from this album for some reason I like this uptempo and joyful sounding piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0goFgxvN4

Clang Quartet "The Poison of Unforgiveness" tape... was CQ always like this?!? I recall from past that it was not. Now majority of tape is dominated by jazzy drum improvisations, what blends into other experimental and noise sounds, but very often just sort of polyrhythmic or chaos improv drumming as main element of sound collage-noise.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ashmonger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 22, 2013, 10:07:58 AMTalking of Fortress, quite similar vocal sound in german Race War. "Stimme Des Blutes" CD been recent obsessive listening. Vocals are one of the major things why it kicks ass. Often riffs are utterly simple. Some slightly out-of-ordinary (in RAC context, that is) rhythms/drum patterns appear here are there, but in general it almost solely works on charisma of vocalist. It was kind of strange to see him in real-life (without commando mask used at gig) when that vocal sound and looks (like so often) gives impression that wasn't waiting this. "They Were The Heroes" from older album is the utmost hit, but from this album for some reason I like this uptempo and joyful sounding piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0goFgxvN4
Interesting, lately I've been checking out some RAC and related music (at work) and while a lot of it isn't very interesting, I liked Race War, especially They Were Heroes and 11. September. Will check this track and Fortress maybe tomorrow.

eyestrain

Quote from: Ashmonger on September 22, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 22, 2013, 10:07:58 AMTalking of Fortress, quite similar vocal sound in german Race War. "Stimme Des Blutes" CD been recent obsessive listening. Vocals are one of the major things why it kicks ass. Often riffs are utterly simple. Some slightly out-of-ordinary (in RAC context, that is) rhythms/drum patterns appear here are there, but in general it almost solely works on charisma of vocalist. It was kind of strange to see him in real-life (without commando mask used at gig) when that vocal sound and looks (like so often) gives impression that wasn't waiting this. "They Were The Heroes" from older album is the utmost hit, but from this album for some reason I like this uptempo and joyful sounding piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0goFgxvN4
Interesting, lately I've been checking out some RAC and related music (at work) and while a lot of it isn't very interesting, I liked Race War, especially They Were Heroes and 11. September. Will check this track and Fortress maybe tomorrow.

Fortress's debut self-titled album is where it's at (for me). Just good 'ol ignorant and low-brow thrills. The other albums get a bit metallic and blues-rock in a way. Kinda ironic.

That Race War track is pretty excellent. Will have to dig into some of their albums soon. Thanks for the tip!

Militaris-tic Curse Of Weapons (Bestial Burst): I have nothing to say. Just righteous metal-punk from Harald Mentor (methinks) and some other fella. Samples here: http://www.reverbnation.com/militaristic

Ättestupa Musik För Tomma Rum (Järtecknet): Honestly never could enjoy this project. This last LP is no different. Like a weak Aäkon Këëtrëh, Amaka Hahina, Moëvöt, etc mixed with Zomes. Some very brief sections of crunch on a few occasions and then back to "organ" tone.

Bleak Existence

Swallowing Bile - what you deserve...

Scat-O-Logy

Decided to ruin my morning with the new Shining album. I already knew it would suck but as a huge Shining fan I still had to check it out (something I shouldn't have done). The album starts with kinda old school Shining feel and to my surprise it's like that throughout the complete album... strange decision in my opinion. First track sounds over-compressed to me and I can't but be irritated by the overall production. Famine does his thing perfectly but the music is just dull. Then it's the second track, once again shitty sound quality. Attila delivers his basic, yet interesting, vocals but can't save the track. Third track is just retarded with silly synth sound throughout the track and if I'm not completely mistaken there's even a fucking drum machine in this track (!!!). Next track is with a fag, namely Ghaal, and it indeed sounds gay. Those torturous synth lines feels like having Ghaal's cock up my ass. Don't know his role in this track but I kinda liked the vocals. Music is also quite interesting but once again the sound is just terrible, especially when bass drum kicks in. Black Industrial Misery is an overkill version of the original with Maniac on vocals. Doesn't do anything for me. The last track, Through Corridors Of Oppression, is one of my favorite older Shining tracks and I can't hear too much differences to the original. Nice to have at least one good track on this album but seems like they simply took it from the split 7" with Dolorian.

I'm still in shock... I mean why would they recycle their old ideas when they had good thing going. I know not all of you are going to agree with me but I personally think Shining was on top of their game during Halmstad. From there onwards it has been downhill. Klagopsalmer, Född Förlorare and Redefining Darkness had their stand out tracks but in my opinion they didn't hold out as an album as well as Halmstad. As for this new album, Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd, I can say right away that this is the end. Now Kvarforth can freely end his misery...

eyestrain

Wold Screech Owl (Profound Lore): Forever my favorite release by this indescribable oddity of socially reclusive lo-fi hatred. The most varied, with cohesiveness, album yet...doesn't derail into 45 minutes of snowfall static or too many song-oriented and rhythmic numbers. Always puts ice in my bones.

S.V.E.S.T. Urfaust (End All Life): They've always embodied black metal in full legitimacy to me; a sound unlike any other, working outside of the confines of consumer metal and publicity stunts, releasing music when the drive and Spirit is there. These are all things lost over time by most. This was the one album that I could enjoy, but could not worship like all their other output. Don't know what it was, but it clicked last night. Like the first time I heard them, the Deathspell Omega split, and some cosmic nerve twitched and all this chaos in my mind tuned in to just the sounds. For those that don't know...how can one describe them? The King Crimson of Satanism? It's just off-kilter and utterly possessed black metal without the slightest reek of gimmick.

Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is Beauty (Pendu Sound): Goddamn this was garbage. A mash-up of all that is trend and little of what made her worthwhile on past albums.

bitewerksMTB

"Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is Beauty"

I listened to a few tracks on youtube & could not figure out why people are so into her work. Just sounds like college rock or something.

Gave the MANIA/HAL HUTCHINSON "Wreckage" cd (Phage Tapes) a listen & it sounds good. Hal's idea of breaking up the kollab. material with my two  solo tracks worked out very well. His track ends the cd with nearly 13 minutes of junkyard destruction. The label should be announcing on his fb, mailing list, etc. soon.

impulse manslaughter

RYKE ‎– Resuscitation CD, such a great disc..

online prowler

DAMAAR
"Triumph Through Spears Of Sacrilege" (2006)

Strong brutal EP. Lebanese BM.
Full stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6qeDrBHGSo

Electronic Panorama
"Paris, Tokyo, Utrecht, Warszawa" (1970)

Electronic compilation album released on Philips Prospective 21e Siècle series. Highly recommended album and series.
Avail for free dwnlwd via ubuweb: http://ubu.com/sound/electronic_panorama.html

Mikerdeath

Quote from: online prowler on September 26, 2013, 02:47:17 AM
DAMAAR
"Triumph Through Spears Of Sacrilege" (2006)

I wasn't that into this release. The idea of them seemed better than the final product.

VA - Pundartugg - Argot Bruit
Excellent.

Prurient - African Division
Been listening to this twice a day for the past 2 weeks, lost count of how many listens.
One word: restraint.

dmkerr

First listen to latest batch of new arrivals:

Smell & Quim - A Wank's as good as a sod to a blind arse & Powerfuck

Ramleh - Awake box set

Grunt - World Draped in a Camoflage

Mauthausen Orch - Sonic Deprivation

Con-Dom  - Holy Bible