New good harsh noise?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 12, 2011, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: IronBloodBlasphemy on September 18, 2011, 02:09:02 AM
a hybrid, but TRTRKMMR is tremendous. Vicious stuff:

http://aumwar.com/home

TRTRKMMR is easily the most underrated act in the midwest. That and Anal Hearse.

Culver is drone, whats the relation with harsh noise?
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Nyodene D

for what it's worth, Anal Hearse is great, can't really be experienced by anyone because there's like no recordings of him.  Unless you live within two states of Milwaukee, he's not really anyone that can be heard.... more good projects need to release their first things, enough of these mediocre projects overreleasing every goddamn recording and whoring it out to the forums......

RyanWreck

The best Noise tapes I have received in the past few months would have to be:

Developer – WCN008
Wince - Vasovagal Syncope
Wince - Wince
Kakerlak – Crawling To Objectify
Martial God Mask – Death's Head
1188 – First Process

I'm not a huge fan of HN, I prefer P.E., but these 5 tapes definitely gave me a run for my money.

tisbor

ah yes, Grain Belt CD from a couple of years ago was very good.
As far as i know, it's a "new" band.

Still have to check Matteo's new output Lettera22 but i doubt it's harsh noise.

trashritual

Some of the more recent stronger harsh noise recordings getting played here:

Encephalophonic - Beauty/Death k7 : Mid to fast paced harsh noise mixing elements of Macronympha, Pain Jerk and K. Endo. A bit tighter feel overall compared to the open ended aggressive behemoth of "Metal Obsession" k7 release. Duration works well as it pushes for upmost quality with little to no room for filler. Really can't give enough praise for this new project.

Endless Sea - Anchors 12" LP : Project of Matteo/Lettera 22. After soaking in the bliss of the Lettera23 LP on A Dear Girl Called Wendy had to recheck other releases I had and this was first up. A bit looser in composition than the refined works of the Lettera 22 but still works quite well. Was a bit worried with the drone based start but once the drone abruptly cuts a few minutes in the entire thing takes it up a few steps. Excellent use of extended scrap metal cuts. Can't help but think though that the fuzz used colors the mix mildly and if different choice was made end result would have been much more chaotic sounding. Minor negative points in the overall picture though and worth checking out.

Mania / Custodian - Split 12" LP : Some of the best Custodian material I have heard along with the tape on WCN a while back. Very simple, straight to the point bursts of noise. No need for dragging dull moments or overextending ideas that many other artists fail with. Some of Custodian's recent tape work on both "Sonance From Detached Life" and "The Weight Of Tension" hasn't been to my liking due to the odd cut/sputter phrasing which just served as a distraction imo. Mania material of the split is more along the lines with the split with GdRO focusing on a heavier industrial edge. Haven't played the ep that F&V did recently so can't comment on how they measure up. 

tisbor

QuoteEndless Sea - Anchors 12" LP

i have to listen to this too, other material from Endless Sea is good!
I had talks about an Encephalophonic release on Turgid Animal, i'm really glad something of this quality comes out of Italy.

Matthias

Still haven't listened to the Anchors LP, but the cassettes on Joy De Vivre and Cathartic Process are both very good and right up my alley. Probably said this before but i think the Endless Sea/Lettera 22/Kam Hassah stuff is all some of the more, "new", exciting european stuff happening for a while. Definitely deserves more attention.

Faux Pas has not been mentioned here, pretty good no brainer harsh noise from Marhaug and Sten Ove Toft, and a fairly new project as far as i know.

Bloated Slutbag

Hey, good to see Encephalophonic finally getting their due. Plugged the shit on the black board back in July, no response. Guess I should be directing my rants this way.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 12, 2011, 10:55:09 AM
1) no lazy walls
2) no crackle studies
3) no keyboard melodies thrown in mix
4) no improv jams
5) no lo-fi feedback drone
6) no computer cyber noise

Of couse, to paraphrase Endo, so much does this go without saying that the opposing tendency has long since come and gone; just to make a point on the prescriptive tendency.

I mean, I like tasteful atmosphere much as the next gent. But at the same time, "That is why we reject it."
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

RyanWreck

Seriously - Kakerlak's CS on TF/PE is a tape you cannot go wrong with as is the entire White Centipede Noise catalog.

PTM Jim

Hospital (literally) just released new Viodre and Ahlz CDs.  Guaranteed to be mandatory.

Bloated Slutbag

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

RyanWreck

So what's been good from 2012 so far? As of right now, it seems to be a Power Electronics dominated year. The 3 of 4 tapes that I heard from the latest batch on White Centipede were extremely good but that is no surprise, the Tourette release on Skeleton Dust was nice as well. So what else?

PTM Jim

I agree that it's been a more PE dominated year so far, but here are some of the ones, thus far, that have gained my attention:

mtDNA - Between Another Magic Mushroom
Engines Of Modern Dysfunction Vol. 1 (comp featuring Weise, Ahlz, K2, Facialmess, etc.)
LHD - Even Still (comp of old material, however, this is 100% MANDITORY)
Sissy Spacek - Harm
Developer - OOBR004 (Wow, is this one fucking good)
Virgin Spring - Widening Tail

and, even though I released them, these are seriously perfect and shouldn't be missed by any HN fanatics:
Hostage Pageant   - Filth Consumption Tactics
Sirotek - A Hole In My Heart

lungwash

I just want to agree and mention the Orgasmic Response Unit tape on WCN by name - I seriously loved this one. Just totally relentless shrapnel and crushed noise mayhem. For me, a near perfect noise tape that I just want to keep turning up louder and louder.

The Contemporary Harsh Noise Vol 1. - Waste comp is also fantastic

jesusfaggotchrist

Quote from: nidding on August 13, 2011, 11:14:40 PM
Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on August 13, 2011, 05:29:22 PM
Developer! Cut up harsh noise focused around cassettes!

Seconding this. In general the Dayton scene has the whole dynamic harsh noise thing pretty nailed.

why haven't I heard of this?