New good harsh noise?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 12, 2011, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potier

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 06, 2013, 03:58:40 PM
At the same time, it kind of shows that just solid, rough, nasty harsh noise appears to be almost nonexistent minority now?!?

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 06, 2013, 05:48:44 PM
So I remain little amazed, is solid brutal harsh noise living now quiet moment?

No offense but I think there's something wrong with your thought-process. Earlier on in this discussion you admitted that you have 1000 releases on a pile that you have not listened to, yet.
If this is the case, how is it possible for you to determine whether Harsh Noise is "quiet" or even "nonexistent" at the moment?

BEING - to stick with your example - has been putting out rock-solid material since '06 and you just noticed the project recently, right?

At any given time we only see a fraction of what is really out there, therefore we should be careful with assessments like the one above.

There's a whole bunch of great Harsh Noise that has already been mentioned in this thread.

FreakAnimalFinland

It's simply because 1000 unlistened releases is not of just "harsh noise", but stuff of all types, and from very wide time scale. If I'm in mood to hear new harsh noise by new artists, and I see rows of contemporary art music, metal, industrial, pe, punk and rac... those 1000 items won't help me to fill need of 2013 harsh noise from new maker. It's possible there is some harsh noise I didn't listen yet, but to realize what tapes would be that, even then it's useful.
Sometimes I buy big chunks of stuff at once. Say, opportunity presents itself to buy 30 LP's of 80's hardcore. Some distro lists has 50 LP's of RAC what is unlikely to get later on. I buy it. I may know band X is great, so I end up getting everything they have done, but don't want to burn myself listening everything right away, but perhaps during next 10 years. Some stuff remains on the shelves, unlistened, for 10+ years. But most often for reason. Like, do I need to listen the AUBE tape I just got now - or next year. It's doesn't matter as stuff is already 15 years old.

But I like to keep up to date, what is happening right now.

Quote from: Potier on April 07, 2013, 01:08:34 AM

There's a whole bunch of great Harsh Noise that has already been mentioned in this thread.

Yep, and I'm asking them to be mentioned. That's what this thread is for.
Lets see what has been mention, with some brief comments:

1188  (project of Klaus Hansen, not really new to this, but yeah, got it, good, 2011)

A Snake In The Garden (appears to do stuff since '07 ? I should have his phage tape releases somewhere... waiting ;) for example "Contemporary Harsh Noise vol II")

Ahlzagailzehguh (since.. 2003 is it? 10 years of great stuff hardly "new" anymore. Solid stuff no complaints, though)

AODL (same as above)

Being (already worshipped)

Blue Sabbath Black Cheer (someone asked if this is more muddy industrial stuff, and that's my impression - but maybe got to listen more? Now listened some sample and it certainly had harsh elements but also gloomy droning element and vocals..)

Custodian (justa about as good example as there can be. Project was appears to have started 2009 - really being new. And harsh noise!)

Developer (justa about as good example as there can be. Project was appears to have started 2011?? - really being new. And harsh noise!)

Diaphragmatic ‎– Exsanguinate (Fusty Cunt) - 2012 (Same guy who's in Orgasmic Response Unit, which is very nice, this project I never heard but appears to be exactly what I look for in this topic)

Encephalophonic (many times worshipped and given example already in first message)

Endless Sea (master Matteo Castro who in short time made name with this, Kam Hassah, Lettera 22 - totally worshipped!)

Faux Pas (veteran project by Lasse Marhaug, Sten Ove Toft.. hardly "new" even is project is new. Kind of same as Testicle Hazard)

GM Electronics (already since 2002 is it? not so new anymore)

Grain Belt (new, but also project consisting members of same guys who do noise by themselves. I wasn't blown away by CD, but not bad. Prefer their solo works)

GRKZGL (since 2006, never heard appears to be just suitable. I don't buy CDR's what is most of his early output)

Heart Of The Whore (project of guys mentioned before in their solo projects)

ICHOROUS (time flies fast! This also already 8 years in scene, right? Of course good items, etc, but 8 years.. "new"? In some ways yes, but hardly in same ways as bands that put out their first release in 2011.

Jute Gyte (Somehow doesn't look like harsh noise projects and listened on youtube and this is some stuff reminding melodic black metal, wtf?)

Illicit Relationship (is it one-off project of Concrete Violin, now r.i.p.? In some ways new, but in some ways not really)

Lackthrow (been around already from turn of 90's... hardly new)

Jah Excretion (one of few Japan harsh noisers that are young (2009 started??) and pretty good and also put out real releases. In deed I have got bunch of links from electronic harsh noise makers from Japan looking for label, who only uploaded stuff.

Jake Vida (Started 2005..? making it also approaching soon 10 years milestone. Not always harsh noise)

John Madigan Moloney ‎(member also in heart of whore. Haven't heard his solo work, but I read "experimental/noise".?)

Kakerlak (got many of his.. Also Dog Holocaust stuff. Since 2006)

Martial God Mask (haven't heard it. 2009 one release)

Mixturizer (he's been around since early 90's under different names. This since 2006. Hit & miss, sometimes very good)

mtDNA - Between Another Magic Mushroom

Orgasmic Response Unit (good project, features members of other known new projects)

Paranoid Time (since 2005, again making it little unsure if almost 10 year old bands with well known discography and labels/guys very clearly present in scene would be "new" ?)

Red Hook (tx harsh noise since 2009 or what? I think I have this Ramirez split but that's all)

Rusulka (??)

Skin Graft (more gutter industrial?)

Taskmaster (2006 onwards, good)

Virgin Spring (who's this? Is it Conelly's project? If yes, then hardly so "new", but just spin off by legendary old noise maker)

Wince  (great and worshipped!)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

so basically if we erase those, what are side projects of veterans and bands that are hardly "new", but almost 10 years active in scene (so lets say last 5 years, making it bands of 2008 onwards), and also bands that don't appear to be harsh noise, there's..

A Snake In The Garden (appears to do stuff since '07 ? I should have his phage tape releases somewhere... waiting ;) for example "Contemporary Harsh Noise vol II")

Being (already worshipped)

Custodian (justa about as good example as there can be. Project was appears to have started 2009 - really being new. And harsh noise!)

Developer (justa about as good example as there can be. Project was appears to have started 2011?? - really being new. And harsh noise!)

Diaphragmatic ‎– Exsanguinate (Fusty Cunt) - 2012 (Same guy who's in Orgasmic Response Unit, which is very nice, this project I never heard but appears to be exactly what I look for in this topic)

Encephalophonic (many times worshipped and given example already in first message)

Endless Sea (master Matteo Castro who in short time made name with this, Kam Hassah, Lettera 22 - totally worshipped!)

Grain Belt (new, but also project consisting members of same guys who do noise by themselves. I wasn't blown away by CD, but not bad. Prefer their solo works)

Heart Of The Whore (project of guys mentioned before in their solo projects)

Jah Excretion (one of few Japan harsh noisers that are young (2009 started??) and pretty good and also put out real releases. In deed I have got bunch of links from electronic harsh noise makers from Japan looking for label, who only uploaded stuff.

John Madigan Moloney ‎(member also in heart of whore. Haven't heard his solo work, but I read "experimental/noise".?)

Martial God Mask (haven't heard it. 2009 one release)

Orgasmic Response Unit (good project, features members of other known new projects)

Red Hook (tx harsh noise since 2009 or what? I think I have this Ramirez split but that's all)

Rusulka (??)

Wince  (great and worshipped!)

And some of them are side projects consisting same people. And most of all, I pretty much got it all - except couple mentioned. So, question remains, is this the good harsh noise of last 5 years?

And, to be clearer, it's not only about stuff I want to listen, but to know.
Question relates to piece I'm doing on SI #9 about "harsh noise 2013". Quite similar as Field Recording article in #8. Involving most of the above mentioned new guys, but also some older guys. And when asked about good new noise, there appears to be little bit void. Still, I'm sure after article would appear, there will be some people crying about writing about my friends and my visions, and ignoring all that's happening out there. I keep asking around, new guys, old guys, artists, label makers, forum users, and it appears that there is not MUCH other than I already know.

Of course, it used to be, that good noise is only noticed perhaps 5-10 years later when it has happened. Only when it really survives the test of time and has proven to be continuously great.

Nevertheless, I'd be curious of - new blood, with new approaches. If I want to listen good harsh noise, I can always put some trusted name on player, but there are often times when I'd like to hear new, unheard, something never experienced before. You know, as said before, I think artists such as WINCE and BEING - according to my opinion (should have about all Wince stuff, not enough of Being) are guys who should have labels spamming them for LP deals. And one could forget many of the bigger names that are nowadays quite weak compared to them.

Nil By Mouth

Talking about Grain Belt and Developer, both part of the White Centipede Noise, I want to mention also Neckhold.

kh

VIRGIN SPRING is now defunct, VIRILE GAMES is the new incarnation.. epic mix of harsh noise, field recordings and concrete parts, closed to some stuff we've done with lettera 22.. the project is run by Matt, a young guy from NY, not connelly

shameless self promotion..
me and francesco tignola, from joy de vivre label, started a new project some months ago DRUG AGE, just harsh noise.. you can listen a couple of tracks here: https://soundcloud.com/secondsleep-1

ARKHE

No mention of HEINZ HOPF? Members aren't new to the "scene" but the project has only been in existence for a few years (since 2010), but have a string of good releases (most recently the CD "Gothenburg") behind them.

Potier

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 07, 2013, 09:07:13 AM
Rusulka (??)

Spelling error. Rusalka. Harsh Noise with heavy theremin use.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Rusalka

A Snake In The Garden (appears to do stuff since '07 ? I should have his phage tape releases somewhere... waiting ;) for example "Contemporary Harsh Noise vol II"

This is a prime example - you say you have the Phage Tape? The split with Poison Light? I wouldn't say this release is truly representative of the project.
Contemporary Harsh Noise contribution is on Skeleton Dust. Great material. Do yourself a favor and get the recent tapes on Sound Holes & Brise Cul. Tunnel Of Blinding Light (2010, self released) is brilliant as well.

Quote from: Nil By Mouth on April 07, 2013, 10:25:31 AM
Talking about Grain Belt and Developer, both part of the White Centipede Noise, I want to mention also Neckhold.

Mordant Karma (Japan) should also be mentioned. Someone said: the entire White Centipede Noise Catalogue.

And some of them are side projects consisting same people. And most of all, I pretty much got it all - except couple mentioned. So, question remains, is this the good harsh noise of last 5 years?

Many people have a variety of projects & are very much interrelated - friends, same label, same family, same city. I am convinced that this is not a negative tendency at all. It has been mentioned in this thread before - the midwest/no coast of the United States is a hotbed for great Harsh Noise and has been for a while. Exploring those tight-knit networks can be very rewarding.
If we go by labels and groups of people that are very closely linked, there is more. Maybe someone should create a map or a Harsh Noise family tree of some sorts - that'd be very interesting to see.
When the circle of friends and acquaintances expands, more projects get started, evolve and get a certain amount of attention. Sometimes the attention is reduced to the community that originally spawned the new project.
I believe that at that point a lot of people tend to start their "bro-job"-discussions and I am not sure if we are benefiting from those arguments. I think community is what keeps noise alive.

If we talk about "New Good Harsh Noise", we are inclined to say something is only truly good,
when it really survives the test of time and has proven to be continuously great.
Once it gets to this point, it's not "new" anymore.

It is great when you can go back 15-20 years and find great harsh noise that has stood the test of time. More recent material has - by nature - not really lived up to this standard, yet.

I'd like to add to the list:

Weak Sisters - recent compilation of WS, Other People's Children, Worth (all projects of the same person) on Heavy Psych ("Mothers & Destroyers") is great.
Hostage Pageant - very active project as of late, ties to the midwest-family
Plague Mother - from Cleveland, OH I believe - similar networks - maybe start with the tape on Amnesia Program - please note the connection to Hostage Pageant :-)

Potier

Also, since Blue Sabbath Black Cheer has been brought up, Stan Reed's Dried Up Corpse project is relentless.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Potier on April 07, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
Mordant Karma (Japan) should also be mentioned. Someone said: the entire White Centipede Noise Catalogue.

We've been intending to trade - so still on process of getting that Mordant Karma tape..  Those WCN catalogue bands are all pretty much listed on list above.

Quote from: Potier on April 07, 2013, 06:41:44 PM

Many people have a variety of projects & are very much interrelated - friends, same label, same family, same city. I am convinced that this is not a negative tendency at all. It has been mentioned in this thread before - the midwest/no coast of the United States is a hotbed for great Harsh Noise and has been for a while. Exploring those tight-knit networks can be very rewarding.
If we go by labels and groups of people that are very closely linked, there is more. Maybe someone should create a map or a Harsh Noise family tree of some sorts - that'd be very interesting to see.
When the circle of friends and acquaintances expands, more projects get started, evolve and get a certain amount of attention. Sometimes the attention is reduced to the community that originally spawned the new project.
I believe that at that point a lot of people tend to start their "bro-job"-discussions and I am not sure if we are benefiting from those arguments. I think community is what keeps noise alive.

yep, I didn't mean that it's bad. But lets say, you couldn't say that Finland has huge power electronics /noise scene, and then lists 20 "bands" in total by 2 guys. To show quantity, would require many people, not just many projects by same people.

I mean, that if we can gather list of possibly 15 names, and even these include projects involving member(s) who get listed more than once, it's quite thin result of 5 years worth of new harsh noise of entire world? I somehow feel that it can't be all here? So where's the noiseheads hiding? Or is it really now this small.
Of course, quantity should not be issue here. As mentioned, quality is the issue. But it makes situation up for wondering what happened between now and moment, when decent new harsh noise bands appeared to pop up on monthly basis? Those which are still remembered decades later. And now it's almost struggle to find out who's new around here. I think this LOUD/LOUDER/LOUDEST program is pretty neat for looking back at some releases what probably many didn't manage to grab. Patrick is of course mr. PARANOID TIME, and that project.. 2005 onwards.. Gaping Hole label certainly documented well harsh noise brutality. But especially for those with lack of funds, this podcast or his gaping hole archive where you can listed streaming audio of all these goodies, is a must:
http://gapinghole.snse.net/

But again - most of new bands that are on this label are already mentioned in this topic?

When I think of Finland... Who's making harsh noise fitting on the style described here?

*Umpio - he did his cdr releases in 2008. Not any youngster, but didn't do harsh noise before.
*Jaakko Vanhala - he did his first harsh noise release in 2012, but hardly "new guy" either. Experimental noisy stuff for many years.
*Keränen - his stuff is also very late under this name. 2008? Something like that. But Rulla did first releases 2005?
*Hippycrack - first release appears from 2008. Live show was pretty good and straight harsh noise. I don't remember if I have single release from him. Perhaps only youngster here and only real "new blood"...

Who else? Can't get more to my head. For reason or another, apart from Hippycrack, these guys don't feel so "newcomers" to me, but damn good harsh noise nevertheless. However, Keränen has done also drone CD. Umpio has been now moving to electro-acoustic and "microsounds", not just rugged metal junks. Of course the traditional noise blast may have always been minority in Finnish scene?

terminus01

there is a close-knit micro community of harsh noise that has been developing over the the past few years here in los angeles -- they're all good friends, and closely connected, but are also creating what i see as solid work that deserves mention. most of it has been very interconnected and released in tiny editions locally. the main players are:

sissisters (a project which has existed for several years in different forms, done releases on joy di vivre and others, just opened the storefront venue MATA in west LA. also operates the christian pop tape label)
recommended release: brick in the arm cs (self-released)
http://soundcloud.com/stisers/sissisters-dem-passwords-la
http://vimeo.com/28247518

constrain (formerly known as droughter, a grimier progression. operates the heavy psych label and is a respected visual artist as well)
recommended release: split c-30 w/ being (HP)
http://www.heavypsych.net

wrong hole (young noise prodigy following in the tradition of impregnable, weak sisters, and others. several offshoot projects including NM and BPNM, several offshoot labels such as prima donna and presh, mostly micro-editions)
recommended release: private lives c-60 (presh)
http://vimeo.com/21797236
http://wrongholesound.bandcamp.com

tisbor

Orgasm Denial from Hong Kong, I think he started less than 5 years ago. Mostly very rough harsh noise.

whiteheatnoise

I second all of the projects mentioned by Borges. Great stuff that not too many people seem to be aware of. These projects are a perfect example of when Mikko describes those of having "pure essence" of noise. Also, on the LA note, Obstacle Corpse is also great energetic and dynamic harsh noise. Two of the most powerful and memorable harsh noise performances I have witnessed were by Obstacle Corpse (2009) and Wrong Hole (2011), both of which took place in Los Angeles. Lets also not forget to mention the excellent Vasculae project by Mr. Borges himself. I would almost consider it wall noise, due to how dense it is (especially when compared to older Pedestrian Deposit recordings), however J don't want to dumb it down because it is much more than your typical wall noise fare. Lots of development and progression carried by extended amounts of crushing harsh noise.

Also, I don't know if Vast Glory has been mentioned yet but if not it definitely belongs in this thread.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: kh on April 07, 2013, 05:58:21 PM
me and francesco tignola, from joy de vivre label, started a new project some months ago DRUG AGE, just harsh noise.. you can listen a couple of tracks here: https://soundcloud.com/secondsleep-1

Damn! I read the message, but didn't think it much further. Two days later I'm putting on tape deck some random tape from pile what appeared to be interesting... and that was DRUG AGE "alphabet" (second sleep). God damn it's good! Some of the pretty good stuff listed here has this thing I kind of like, but at the same time have problem. Close-up small objects with pretty much line-in feel in recording. That it is distorted, yes, that it's crispy and crunchy, yes, but it is so small sounding and lacks any feel of space.
This Drug Age tape has good sounds mixed in. It is very close-up, nearly directly injected to your ear, yet still occasionally reveals some kind of physical space. It is not that fast, but certainly lacks all the typical downfalls of rumbling walls. It moves, goes ahead, and has compositional element to it - while staying pretty much pure NOISE.
That soundcloud file - being free of charge, good quality - check it out if you don't have possibility to get tape!

SiClark

Drug Age sample sounds great, as does their other one from the 4xCASS set. Hadn't heard of them before.