PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I have tape, but don't have any place to upload pics really... All text is in japanese. Front has treated photo of xxx activity.

THE TERATOLOGIST "cabinet of curiosities II" tape
Cathartic Process
2nd tape of offers parts III and IV. Dark atmospheres exploring antiquarian anomolies. Not bad theme! Perhaps special packaging would do more justice for theme. Now it's one image on front cover and recording details inside J-card. Dark and gloomy ambient may be saying too little, as texture and details go far more than simple "droning". It does have the usual flaws what effect most of this type of music for me. Over use of reverb will drench most of sounds into less memorable blur. Achievements of crafting sounds is much less when buried in extensive echoes.

Sachiko "With Lament" tape
Sloow tapes
Not sure how many know her works? Sachiko was one member in Tangerine Dream Syndicate, which featured Kosakai from Incapacitants and had CD on Alchemy. And part of duo Vava Kitora together with Yama-Agako. A lot of Sachiko works is highly delay/reverb processed ethereal vocals. Whether words play key role, it's hard to say, but it works also as merely vocal-drone material. But this is not all just vocals. Overdriven droning electronics appear as well. This is the only tape release of her. Belgian label. Otherwise mostly CDs. C-50 length makes it pretty much like album, and there is clearly thought album wholeness, what goes forward. Starts with long vocal pieces and eventually side ends with electronics+vocals piece. On b-side things start to go heavier with more dense electronics, where layers of stuff slowly waves forward. Minimal input with vocals.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Leatherface

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 27, 2015, 02:58:37 PM
???? tape
Vanilla Records 33
Who know what this is? Doesn't appear on discogs, neither labels website has any list of their discography. Not that it would be crucial information, as this isn't even noise. 1993 release of Japanese project. Guitars and singing. Perhaps singer/songwriter stuff from amateur camp?

Keiko Fuji "Dark Pop" tape
(C-60 single-sided recording)

Nil By Mouth

I'm listening the Live CD of Snuff recently released. Probably is a well know news but my copy have 3 tracks instead of 2 http://www.discogs.com/Snuff-Live/release/6973338
What's the third track? The loop sound familiar to me..

FreakAnimalFinland

CURRENT WORMING "1" tape
dogmatics in outline 01
Based on brief sound samples I listened online, I wasn't quite sure do I need this for my own collection, but luckily I decided to listen tapes when they arrived. Canadian label, which seems highly influenced by scandinavian tape scene. If things in north europe has been blooming over demand, then more of the same needed? Be it F&V fanboys or Posh Isolation fanboys. Perhaps little more personality for design / presentation wouldn't hurt... Well, nevertheless: when I listen this tape, I can just conclude that it is pretty much exactly stuff I want to listen very often. Sort of Vivenza feel, or perhaps I should just say, pretty much exactly as ORQUERE! Repetation of malformed tape loop sound, that creates nice industrial clatter. Little random sound thrown in mix. Can't camplain! c. 25 minutes of solid material!

CURRENT WORMING "2" tape
dogmatics in outline 03
Second tape of project is less interesting. It's not bad, though. It is far less restricted by repeating patterns. Both sides have some distant lo-fi humming/hissing on background and free form lo-fi clatter on the top. Nothing is heavy or crushing. It's more of un-effected piezzo microphone rawness, with all the imperfections of live-session recording still there. I still like atmosphere very much. It's good companion for volume 1, just to show that project isn't merely one trick pony.

bile

Not too many releases that came out in 2015...but here are some miniature reviews of material I have been spending time with.

VAT "Broken Ankle/Cinderscab"

Tremendous Harsh Noise by the underrated American master, VAT. Sharp waves of white-hot noise with a perfect infusion of raw metallic abuse. The dynamics to this tape are crucial...when listening to VAT it is quite clear that he is an intelligent artist with an ear for atmosphere. At no point does the chaos become one-dimensional and lose a listeners attention. Highest recommendation!

Bizarre Uproar "Mass"

Expertly crafted Harsh Noise by the Power Electronics terror, Bizarre Uproar. This 10" has it all... feedback amidst blasts of distortion and crunching noise. Personally, I prefer the Power Electronics output (with my favorites being the "Liha-Evankeliumi" 3xCD and "Purification"), but for a standard Harsh Noise outing this still gets the job done.

Zeno Marx

Parade of the Lifeless - The Anatomy of a People's Bondage 2000 - Buffalo grind/pv - love it - obvious Assuck influence + power-violence song structures.
Avulsion - The Crimson Foliage Hit 1998 - a more crude version of Parade of the Lifeless - those Slavestate/Pneumatic Values guys laid the groundwork for that Buffalo grind signature.
Die Kreuzen - s/t 1984
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales + Emperor's Return 1984
Madball - Ball of Destruction 1989
Gulaab - Ritt Durch Den Hades 1979 - psychedelic folk - top shelf - should have been on Pilz.
Yen Pox - Between the Horizon and the Abyss 2015 - dark ambient/death industrial - best of 2015 list.
Nothing - The Spine Overshadowed by the Rope 2001
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

coinbender

Darksmith - Total Vacum
7 short tracks  , slowly evolving recordings ,  some melody  tips here and there . very nice

Enhet För Fri Musik ‎– Live Kommunhuset
i was expecting some weird ballads again but this is different
very c.c.c.c. oriented , trumpets ,some screaming  , lovely mess
cant wait to get the LP

Dr Alex

Sloth - It's Not Our Worst A.K.A. Progression? cd

Finally scored this one from Dom. I always liked these tracks. GREAT sludge!

Sloth - A Whole Other World Of Fun AKA 13 Songs 13 Samples cd

After 2 - 3 spins I still don't know what to think about this one. It's good but I still need to listen.

It's pity that Sloth stop making sludge...

Vermin Marvin

Sloth ist dangerous.

STRAIGHT ARM SALUTE "Aryan uprising" TAPE
Some rare spoken clips (heard that elsewhere..cant say i recognise them) and vocals that fit for the mood of release.. for fans of Der Blutharsch and Nazis this is white fist straight to face.

KÄYTÄNNÖN OHJEITA (Aryan betalamale productions 005)
Some guy handed small plastic bag to me on Steelfest festivals and before i even get one word out he was gone..
Noisecore. with some feedbackyspokeclippingdemo stuff with huorapaska anti-zog message and Beatles cover, well worth of it`s price.

GOREDOCTORE - Ylös ja alas golden fucks (Violent Journey Records)
Must say that this must be one of worst reheated bands i have heard.
Love 90`s 7"`s and songs on Älkää Välittäkö Paskapuheista! compilation but now they have added solos and heavymetallish shrieking and too polished sound to their fast "hc"punk with horrible results, new songs aren't worth of disappointment..avoid this.

BLACK STATE "We Hate Them" TAPE
Lovely slow n`Low rumbling and grinding with clear samples about english immigration. Maybe with less samples and longer pieces of noise would be easier to hear whats happening under that rumbling mat but anyways, me likes a lot.

Andrew McIntosh

I'm usually okay with a lot of The Haters releases anyway but fucking "Further" sure sounds great to me, very loud and thick with a lot going on in it. Powerful.
https://gxjl.bandcamp.com/album/further

While I'm here I may as well state that I've been listening to Am Not's "Unpunished" repeatedly. Fucking superb album. The music, the composition, the production, the message, all completely on target. The title track and "Dark Heart Katanga" are new anthems I'm telling you.
Shikata ga nai.

Bloated Slutbag

Mo*Te – Dusky Drunkard C25
Mo*Te, on a one-man mission to prove no one-trick pony be he. Though if some of the recent comments offered by yours slutbagly are to be believed, this has perhaps always been the case. First up, straight-up, balls-out, old school, feedback'n'screamin'(tm). Full frontal assault with the barest smidgeon of vocal processing, Nagura's big dick in your right earhole while in your left what could be the same dick burnt beyond recognition. If you've heard it before it would not have been via Mo*Te, vocal inputs of whose tend to be processed unto oblivion. First reaction, to be perfectly honest: one of trepidation. I mean, nothing satisfies like a good, stiff, blast of early morning hardness, but imagine a whole tape of the shit. Okay, easy now, trust in yours slutbagly and your reward will be six minutes of Opium Punch: lilting orchestral layers laying lush droning foundations- the Opium- over which gritty saturations seethe and slather- the Punch- saturations equal parts filthed gristle and white-hot scathe. Onto Side B and another shift in perspective. Without reference to the track title, "Side Order Dub", I'd have taken the darkened bass-line for grim, death industrialite, undercurrent, of the sort unheard since Rest Stop Entrapment and Needle Freak (1998, both). Into the darkened tide are launched a steady string of jagged, whispery, depth-charges, straining toward a harsher pe aesthetic before the promised dubby "thud-thud" drops into the mix and signals a harshening (if not quite funkening) of atmos: depth charges open wide to accommodate washes of seething white, broken at thirty second spacings by the doubled thud, aka the sound of my jaw hitting the floor- great stuff! The three-minute closing ditty, "?", may speak for itself. Perhaps something along the lines of "wtf was I smoking?" A single, clear, severely-pitched, tone contrasts with very subdued, low-end, sputter, thus to establish a mood both coldly clinical and mildly disturbed. Against this, sporadic slaps of shithawk squawk warble and waver at wayward intervals, thus to establish a mood of wtf. The net results do convince. No pony here, rather one who confidently bestrides a range of possibility with the legs of a blue-blooded thoroughbred. The spirit of experimentalism is certainly alive and well. Mission accomplished.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

eyestrain

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 03, 2015, 04:32:52 PM
Mo*Te – Dusky Drunkard C25
Mo*Te, on a one-man mission to prove no one-trick pony be he. Though if some of the recent comments offered by yours slutbagly are to be believed, this has perhaps always been the case. First up, straight-up, balls-out, old school, feedback'n'screamin'(tm). Full frontal assault with the barest smidgeon of vocal processing, Nagura's big dick in your right earhole while in your left what could be the same dick burnt beyond recognition. If you've heard it before it would not have been via Mo*Te, vocal inputs of whose tend to be processed unto oblivion. First reaction, to be perfectly honest: one of trepidation. I mean, nothing satisfies like a good, stiff, blast of early morning hardness, but imagine a whole tape of the shit. Okay, easy now, trust in yours slutbagly and your reward will be six minutes of Opium Punch: lilting orchestral layers laying lush droning foundations- the Opium- over which gritty saturations seethe and slather- the Punch- saturations equal parts filthed gristle and white-hot scathe. Onto Side B and another shift in perspective. Without reference to the track title, "Side Order Dub", I'd have taken the darkened bass-line for grim, death industrialite, undercurrent, of the sort unheard since Rest Stop Entrapment and Needle Freak (1998, both). Into the darkened tide are launched a steady string of jagged, whispery, depth-charges, straining toward a harsher pe aesthetic before the promised dubby "thud-thud" drops into the mix and signals a harshening (if not quite funkening) of atmos: depth charges open wide to accommodate washes of seething white, broken at thirty second spacings by the doubled thud, aka the sound of my jaw hitting the floor- great stuff! The three-minute closing ditty, "?", may speak for itself. Perhaps something along the lines of "wtf was I smoking?" A single, clear, severely-pitched, tone contrasts with very subdued, low-end, sputter, thus to establish a mood both coldly clinical and mildly disturbed. Against this, sporadic slaps of shithawk squawk warble and waver at wayward intervals, thus to establish a mood of wtf. The net results do convince. No pony here, rather one who confidently bestrides a range of possibility with the legs of a blue-blooded thoroughbred. The spirit of experimentalism is certainly alive and well. Mission accomplished.

Had this sitting in my Tordon Ljud cart and couldn't decide - sounds perfect!!

re:evolution

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 03, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
While I'm here I may as well state that I've been listening to Am Not's "Unpunished" repeatedly. Fucking superb album. The music, the composition, the production, the message, all completely on target. The title track and "Dark Heart Katanga" are new anthems I'm telling you.

Yep - also one of my most played albums of late.  Amazing album, so don't snooze on checking it out if you have not already. More thoughts here: https://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/2015/05/21/am-not-unpunished/
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

STREETMEAT "Nails" tape
Anabolic Dimensions
Ok. Nothing so amazing, though. Rumbling noise and more spoken kind of vocals. 4 tracks on short tape is good dose. On album format wouldn't be much to celebrate yet.

CONCRETE MASCARA "History of Ruin" tape
Trapdoor tapes
Latest CM output. Just recentlty listened older tape and can't fully decide which I like more. CM has not turned softer really, but there is perhaps less of harshness, slower pace? Dark and malicious sounding rough electronics, perhaps contact mic'ed metal sheets making splashing sounds on loop, tormented screaming / shouting. I like CM the best when its at its most raw and saturated form. Where vocals erupt "behind" the noise etc. Nice tape, hope it gets wide enough circulation!

KNURL "Retinomatosis" tape
Danvers State
Quaranteed harsh noise attack here. Slow paced ultra distorted and feedback dominated noise. Live takes of simple yet effective situations. Some self build metal object and bow. No editing, no "post production". Result is very different than recent tape on Emergentism label. Less of droning noise here.

ARMOUR GROUP "Live Assault" tape

Trapdoor tapes
Not very lucky with this tape. I got first one with left channel missing. Some replacements arrived, but sold them all. New batch arrived and sound appears surprisingly lo-fi. Not sure if it was this distant and murky last time? Even if listened merely one channel mono stuff, hah.. Live show of australian f&V kind of filth noise/pe, where pretty much all high frequencies are gone, and therefore one can clearly hear all kinds of glitches, "clicks" and "pops" happening on top of sound. Very much like some mid 2000's Hospital productions releases... When feeling is all the time "should it sound like this?", is quite hard to set into mood.

ROPE SOCIETY "Dissolve" tape
Trapdoor tapes
This tape in other hand, is ripping! I could conclude that it is not only that, but better than recent split LP on Tesco! 6 songs of very noisy power electronics. Also crossing over to sheer noise in some tracks. I like a lot this rotten and ripping style of sound. Not sure if this is result of dubbing or band has made conscious decisions? It doesn't appear lo-fi in powerless way, but almost like too much of energy trying to burst from your speakers. No aim for heavy and dark sounds, but utmost in-your-face electronic ear drilling. Recommended!!

LUKE HOLLAND "Decomposition" tape
Trapdoor tapes
One half of Armour Group does more of ambient-noise as solo. Humming and droning material of this tape is the best. Perhaps kind of generic in terms of composition, but again, sound style itself contributes well to atmosphere.

MILITARY POSITION "Anti-Human" tape
Trapdoor tapes
The other half of Armour Group does something what sounds surprisingly close to Puce Mary. Perhaps it's just the female voice driven through effects? Sound itself is not very close to recent works of Puce Mary, but one can't deny it was very first thing to come to my mind when tape started to play. 4 tracks of industrial-noise with vocals. Has anyone heard "Genocidal Tendencies" tape from 2013?

LINIJA MASS "Trud" tape
Ultra 29
This has been already re-issued, but original Ultra tapes has very unique feel to it. Absolutely masterpiece of tape-manipulation industrial-noise. It's nothing like "scandinavian tape music". Of course year 1997 sets different tone too, but composition, sounds and all that is very different from most of tape manipulation what emerges nowadays.

VETROPHONIA "Live" tape
Ultra 20
One of Vetrophonia releases that has not been reissued? It's collaborative project between Nick Sudnick (ZGA) and Alexander Lebedev-Frontov (Linija Mass), and result is fantastic as always. Not sure could I conclude that it is among best ones? One could say just the same about this as from tape above, but this has even more absract and noisy sound. But never buried in generic fuzz or edits, but very hands-on approach and always distinctive and personal sounds. Not focusing on gadgets, but concrete sounds on tape.

HÄNDER SOM VARDAR "Depopulation" tape
Obscurex
Not bad tape, but after rotating these Russian gems and all that, suddenly HSV didn't appear that exciting. It's not because composition or crafting tracks would be much inferior, but the sounds itself are far less interesting. Some cracling piezzo mic stuff and all that has it's place, but when you hear stuff where vast majority of sounds are very good. Not just shakeboxes, piezzo crackling or generic synth buzzing, then it reminds about importance of source sounds. Still good tape to have and its power is best seen when not comparing it to other items. Or lets say, even with the critics, this beats half tapes commented on this post anyways. Just not the Russian masterminds, heh..

martialgodmask

IFOTS - We Can Yield Our Own Footsteps
I've only spun once so may be caught up in new album fever but possibly the best album from Lee yet. Maybe more words when I've processed it a couple of times.

Just about to give the free Live At The Garage 2011 disc a whirl.