Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on October 11, 2016, 11:15:29 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 11, 2016, 08:19:55 PM
Arrow released Shivers in the UK as a bd/dvd set.

Ah ok, thanks. For some reason I thought there was mention in this thread of a US version and now I see that my reading comprehension is flawed and moronic haha...

SOMEONE RELEASE THIS MOVIE IN THE US!!!

chances are someone will as there is a degree of cross atlanticreleasing. likely a us company that has issued the others

bitewerksMTB

I would guess that  North American rights for Shivers are owned by someone not willing to license them out. If they did, Arrow would be all over them.

The upcoming Rabid release is a new transfer of the original elements so that will be better than Arrow's UK release, which, is from a theatrical print. It'll be nice seeing Marilyn Chambers in high definition!

Currently watching Scream and Scream Again starring Chris Lee, Vincent Price, & Peter Cushing.

bitewerksMTB

Yesterday evening was Nothing but the Night with Chris Lee & Peter Cushing. The film has elements of Wicker Man & Village of the Damned. It's too exciting; there is a dead boy with star craved into his forehead.

Last night was the Italian stinker, Witchcraft, with David Hasselhauf (sp?)& Linda Blair- they must have been desperate for a paycheck. There's some  cheap-ass gore including a man crucified & burned on an inverted cross, an elderly woman gets her lips sewn shut  then burned alive & some decent nudity during a demonic rape.

Just ordered the new Blu-ray release of Salem's Lot. I haven't seen it since it aired on television in two parts in 1979 (that may not be true; I probably saw it on cable at some point).

david lloyd jones

this morning watched 'wild zero', a cheap second hand pick up.
a small budget independent, Japanese rock'n'roll scifi zombie that was cheap mindless fun and not begrudged its 90minutes.
the other day, the other cheapo second hand jap indie offering 'uzumaki'. film of the manga that transends it's cheapness to give a little of the weirdness of the manga's hplovecraft vibe.

david lloyd jones

last night watched 'lost river', dir Ryan gosling well worth the £3 I payed to satisfy my curiosity

this morning watched 'heavenly creatures' dir Peter Jackson pre lord of the rings. based on true life murder in new Zealand mid 1950's with a folie a deux, lesbian relationship at it's heart.
'don't deliver us from evil' from France in early 1970's used the same story to weirder more exploitational effect. another bargain pick up.

tiny_tove

Quote from: david lloyd jones on October 19, 2016, 04:49:39 PM
this morning watched 'wild zero', a cheap second hand pick up.
a small budget independent, Japanese rock'n'roll scifi zombie that was cheap mindless fun and not begrudged its 90minutes.
the other day, the other cheapo second hand jap indie offering 'uzumaki'. film of the manga that transends it's cheapness to give a little of the weirdness of the manga's hplovecraft vibe.

saw them live... definitely wild gigs
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

monster ripper

Quote from: david lloyd jones on October 20, 2016, 04:18:14 PM
this morning watched 'heavenly creatures' dir Peter Jackson pre lord of the rings. based on true life murder in new Zealand mid 1950's with a folie a deux, lesbian relationship at it's heart.
'don't deliver us from evil' from France in early 1970's used the same story to weirder more exploitational effect. another bargain pick up.

'dont delive us from evil' was pretty good if I remember correctly.  On a Similar note, but much better I thought is 'Poison for the fairies'.  Worth tracking down if you can find it.

david lloyd jones

never heard of that one. will try to track down if part of the 'beautiful creatures/don't deliver' mythology.

also have to add, watched and enjoyed a repeat (after 20plus years ) of 'they live' by john carpenter.
as remember, low budget comeback following some Hollywood 'failure'.
cheap, cheerful, and action packed.
check it out for it's anticonsumerist message, writ large in teenage language.

monster ripper

Quote from: david lloyd jones on October 24, 2016, 08:17:36 PM
never heard of that one. will try to track down if part of the 'beautiful creatures/don't deliver' mythology.

It's not based on the same murder as those two, just has a similar feel to it.  I just remember thinking about that movie when I watched don't deliver us from evil.

Andrew McIntosh

EDIT - why the fuck did I post that here? Was I drunk?
Shikata ga nai.

david lloyd jones

watched the film and extras again of "symptoms'- as far as extras go, both actresses still look like foxes (to me as an old ugly, fart)esp Angela pleasance.
original film still almost misty despite transfer to digital, and this works to advantage, as whole film works on vague/blurred level
good addition to bfi stable of films.

bitewerksMTB

I need to watch "Symptoms" again. I definitely liked it the first time around and had thought it was completely new to me but looking through some books I have, it was just a title I had not given any thought to and being that it was thought lost, I don't think I ever ran across it on vhs trade lists.

Just finished "Joe" from 1970 starring Peter Boyle and "Village of the Damned".

About a week ago, I caught the first two "Hellraiser" films & they were disappointments. Both seem to age badly for me. And I think it was pointed out here, all the actors should have been Brits.

Marko-V

I've been lately watching trailer compilations, such as '42nd Street Forever' -series, 'Extra Weird Sampler' and 'Shock Festival' (which has an extra mp3-cd including approx. 300 radio spots!). Perfect party samplers or for the moments when you don't feel like following a plot too closely. Besides, many trailers are lots better than the actual films... seeing the best stuff in a two-minute trailer saves you from trouble of watching a 80-minutes of garbage. I used to enjoy watching old-school trash exploitation but my time is much more limited now so watching a whole movie with only few minutes of good stuff seems like a waste of time.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on October 26, 2016, 11:11:14 AM
EDIT - why the fuck did I post that here? Was I drunk?

dunno what you edited,
even if you were drunk, you should leave it up, I always do.
mistakes, lack of cool, etch, all make it real, as in real life. electronic life is all too editable, all too self conscious.