obscure children books

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 18, 2010, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Not long ago, I was waiting in hospital for doctor, and I tend to dislike the lame women's magazines and horrible gossip mags they leave for patient to browse. As if their pains & misery wasn't enough!
So, I tend to grab children books, and often very surprised about the surreal and even dark themes of them.
I fail to remember the name of book, or artists, but book was from east europe, and looking like pretty obvious criticism for totalitarian communist regime. State would kidnap the grandparents and put them into camps of elderly. Everybody would be unhappy until they manage to build themselves wings & rotors to escape and make return. Story was much more complex, but in the slightly clumsy drawings and simplified storytelling, it still brough some wibes of movies like BRAZIL.
I wish I would have taken the name of author & the book, but no...

I was pretty much unaware of "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak, which was recently done as movie. It seemed pretty strange film, but clearly for kids, so I didn't pay much attention. Few months ago, happened to drive to small village to see very messy 2nd hand shop, filled with lots of obscure junk, and just by accident, pulled out book illustrated by Sendak. Finnish version, which came out same time as worldwide version. It was the long lost very short fairytale by younger of Grimm brothers, and I simply bought it solely for the amazing artwork (and that it was just 2,50€). Not until I read the dark story, I could appreciate it in full glory. Lets cut & paste the info:

QuotePreserved in a letter written to a young girl, Mili, in 1816 and not discovered until 1983, the Grimm story is prefaced by a tender address in which he underscores the story's message: although there are many obstacles that can prevent people from being together, "one human heart can go out to another, undeterred by what lies between." The story that follows implies that love transcends even death. Like many fairy tales, this one deals with extraordinary events. A widow sends her child into the forest to protect her from an approaching war. The girl is led by her guardian angel past menacing cliffs and chasms to the house of Saint Joseph with whom she lives for three days. Before she goes back to the village, Saint Joseph gives her a rosebud as a symbol of her return to paradise; when the girl reaches her home, she finds that the three days have been in reality 30 years. "God has granted the widow's last wish" to see her daughter once again. In the morning, mother and child are found dead, with Saint Joseph's rose "in full bloom." Sendak's haunting interpretation of this stark tale is often more emotionally compelling than the story itself. Dear Mili is a variation on the themes of loss, separation and love that Sendak has explored before, most recently in Outside Over There . In the tradition of 19th century Sunday school literature, the plot and language of the text are often predictable and obviously preachy. For example, after Mili's long journey and prayer, a cleansing rain falls: "God and my heart are weeping together," she says. In an attempt to transcend the limitations of the religious story, Sendak infuses it with images that are both nonsectarian and universal. Trees and roots in the valley of death become grasping, whitened bones scattered beneath an outline reminiscent of buildings at Auschwitz. The images are rich: dark clouds of war are etched with claws of yellow fire, and paradise is filled not only with music, but with lush flowers that burst, like those of Van Gogh or O'Keeffe, with passionate life. The volume may have more appeal for adults than for children, but nonetheless it contains unforgettable artwork of resonant power.

When it says this has "more appeal for adults than for children", I can say oh really?? I can't imagine worse bedtime story to kid, than story of losing all her brothers & sisters early on, living in struggle, escaping war, live life for 3 days, return home for your old mother and die together in sleep. It has religious tones of course, the guardian angels and all that, but it is very dark tale with exceptionally good artwork. I'd post some if would find online, but couldn't. Cover ain't anything special.

World is full of children's books, which seems to be work of deranged people or people who use them as methods of hidden messages or strange morals. And advices, feel free to post on topic!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

wirelessbrutality

i've recently gained interest in children's books as well, found a copy of this one recently -

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Back-Mommy-Childhood/dp/0880703679

recommended. a very deranged book. what makes it terrific is that it's "coded", so only a child of satanic ritual abuse would react to the story line and images. it completely fails of course, instead it's confusing, nearly surreal and would be horrifying to any child who would come across it! i can't wait to read it to my little one.

Strömkarlen

Not really children books more directed to 9-10 year old boys or should I say devoted to young boys. Mystiska 2:an. On the surface the stories where about two boys solving mystery tales but the stories involved kids om drugs, prostitution, violence, underage all drawn really beautiful in stark black and white.  

In his last book Rolf Goh came "clean" and did a book celebrating m@n/böy love. Let's put it like this he haven't published since the mid eigthies.  

Edit. It's in Swedish although I think there are German translations also.

FreakAnimalFinland

I guess one could rate in this topic any book that is directed to 0-12 range. Perhaps mostly the ones parents read to you, but also the ones you start to read when first learning.

Of course not a "children book", but something they gave as option to read at school was Watership Down. Teacher already suggested "this is not just book of rabbits", indicating it will be much more. Which it obviously is.

Or also back in school time, one would watch Animal Farm cartoon from TV. In a way, it would be just the pigs, donkeys and whatever. But the CIA sponsored 1955 edit of Orwell's story obviously is much more than just animation for kids.

One could also take example of Moomin trolls. Forget about the watered down japanese animation. There are now english versions available on popular alternative comic publisher. These comics are full of smuggling alcohol, drugs, existentialism, anxiety, revolution, bombs, natural desasters, etc... And the way they are drawn is far beyond the infant friendly jap animation moomins. But still who concept is focused for kids. Books, videogames,.. in finland also "moomin world" amusement park and so on. Strongly recommended - I mean the old comics!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ABISSO

the children's classic Pinocchio in its full and original version is a very dark and macabre tale.
The wooden puppet comes across disturbing situations .hanged by a gang .He meet a girl ghost, killed dead, calling him from the window of a abandoned house . Pinocchio does not want to take medicine, attends a funeral parade with the coffin carried by four rabbits blacks.
well ... very macabre.

halthan

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 21, 2010, 10:36:02 AM
I guess one could rate in this topic any book that is directed to 0-12 range. Perhaps mostly the ones parents read to you, but also the ones you start to read when first learning.

Of course not a "children book", but something they gave as option to read at school was Watership Down. Teacher already suggested "this is not just book of rabbits", indicating it will be much more. Which it obviously is.

Or also back in school time, one would watch Animal Farm cartoon from TV. In a way, it would be just the pigs, donkeys and whatever. But the CIA sponsored 1955 edit of Orwell's story obviously is much more than just animation for kids.

One could also take example of Moomin trolls. Forget about the watered down japanese animation. There are now english versions available on popular alternative comic publisher. These comics are full of smuggling alcohol, drugs, existentialism, anxiety, revolution, bombs, natural desasters, etc... And the way they are drawn is far beyond the infant friendly jap animation moomins. But still who concept is focused for kids. Books, videogames,.. in finland also "moomin world" amusement park and so on. Strongly recommended - I mean the old comics!

Loving the original Moomin-comics. I remember, in one number they took some pills (or was it a mushrooms) in Acapulco for several days. I used to have original issues, but lost them somewhere : (. Also the books are great

A.R.GH

patricia39

One year ago, I accepted a part time job to teach English to Korean kids. I have a difficult time teaching them the language but the best part of it- I have read several children books that are really inspiring! I would never forget the book 'The Little Prince' of Saint-Exupéry- it captivated my rational thinking on the plot of the story.

ANDROPHILIA

I would like to resurrect this interesting topic with this version of classic Hansel & Gretel tale

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Marko-V

Few years ago we bought Pernilla Stalfelt's hilarious "Kakkakirja" (originally a swedish "Bajsboken"), translates something like "poohbook". It is aimed at kids and their parents who are just learning to defecate without soiling their diapers (the kids... not the parents, i wish). Book tells in a peculiar fashion about shitting, farting, what faeces is and where it comes from. Towards the end the book reaches some coprophiliac heights by suggesting what if people ate shit like some animals do (complete with a picture of a pony-tailed little girl waiting for a plateful of pooh provided by her mom), or what if a group of people would gather in one room and shit... shit... and shit again (accompanied by a picture of group of naked men and women inside of one room defecating all over) so much that they could build a shithouse. I mean that is pretty weird kiddie book after reading endless amounts of moomins and donald ducks.
Before you ask... no, it is not a photo book.

SkeeMask

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 18, 2010, 10:50:28 PM
I was pretty much unaware of "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak

How did you like it ?

Häkkis Atte

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 21, 2010, 10:36:02 AM

Tove Jansson has also made illustration to the first finnish translation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit or There And Back Again. The book name in finnish is Lohikäärmevuori (Dragon mountain). Same drawings can also be found from early swedish versions of the book. You can still find some Lohikäärmevuori books from finnish public libraries but the book itself is quite expensive. Lohikäärmevuori is sold on Huuto.net (finnish ebay or something like that) with over 200 euros so if you find it cheaper from second hand stores or places like that it is worth of buying.

Häkkis Atte

Inari & Leena Krohn's Vihreä vallankumous (Green Revolution) (1970) actually tells children how to make the revolution. It is not so provocating anymore when the greens are at the finnish parlament but it is still quite enjoyable 70s green propaganda.

ironfistofthesun

I was recently reminded about English artist Kit Williams Masquerade. In the 70's is caused a global sensation by hiding clues that would reveal the location to buried treasure.His work is unique and has a undercurrent of paganism and erotica seen through a very English filter.

BBC made a great doc I urge people to check out...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIFm0UHtoo

The old family edition I used to obsessively loom over is now at my brothers house now being loomed over by my two nephews. I'm popping over today for Sunday lunch , so if I get a five minuets spare I will find a corner and enter that world again.