PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snakeradical

ALLEGORY CHAPEL LTD "Demimonde voices" CD, reissue of GROSS label tape. I remember how I liked this much more than the debut CD on Charnel Music. Very experimental, songs going all over the place, in realms of experimental industrial noise.. and crossing over to something you could call even music. People who think all bands sound too much the same now, could grab this ACL to find album where pretty much none of the tracks even sound the same!
[/quote]

its Amazing!!!!

all the allegory´s are !!!!!

non-sense stuff !!!  crazy

Zeno Marx

Cabaret Voltaire – Three Mantras 1980 - was thinking about how much CV and this album influenced Muzlimgauze (thanks to a now anonymous user here), so I had to play it.
Cabaret Voltaire - Live at The YMCA 1979 - a pretty raw recording, but I don't think you'd want it much different.
Cabaret Voltaire - 1974-76 - I don't think any of this is included on the Methodology Attic 3CD set - definitely worth hearing and having if you're at all interested in early experimental electronics; very little of it sounds dated, though it is clearly crude and developing a sound and technique.

Conrad Schnitzler - The Red Cassette 1973 - one of those guys, like Jeph Jerman, that I'd like to dedicate myself to listening to 20 minutes to a complete "album" each day, to make some real headway into understanding his full catalogue; it'll never happen though; I just can't stay focused and easily get distracted...and in particular, am even more easily distracted from his work because he released an incredible amount, and most of it is not even worth calling demos; just endless ideas puked out and saved - I do like this tape quite a bit though, and if I was editing a "canon of experimental music albums" list, I think this would have to be included - you can find this on a blog, so search for it.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Demon Life - Demon Life c32 (Flat Plastic Home Media)

The debut tape from the super-group of Rodger Stella, Tim Gick, and Kyle Flanagan.

Rodger being one half of the classic group Macronympha. Tim Gick of course is the mastermind behind the brilliant Crazy Doberman experimental/psychedelic/at times free jazz collective. Kyle Flanagan is a member of Crazy Doberman but also well-recognized for his solo noise releases which are very psychedelic in nature.

The group produces an extremely well-curated menagerie of sounds. Often times feels like snippets of soundtracks or film scores to unproduced sci-fi or horror films. The notes of the release state the material was "written and performed by" the group, and I want to highlight that writing credit as these tracks feel like composed pieces. Not in any pretentious kind of way, but well thought out and developed sounds.

Incredible debut from this new group and I can't imagine the heights of new material that we'll see in the future.

*Also, one of the best tape cover pieces of art this year.

Zeno Marx

Richard H. Kirk - Disposable Half-Truths 1980

why has nobody talked about how great this album is?  why haven't I heard it before now?  If you can trust the search function on the board, only one mention of him.  One of the members of Cabaret Voltaire, and I've foolishly ignored exploring the solo works until now.  Crude early electronics and manipulations, but also futurist like you'd find on early Clock DVA/Adi Newton releases.  That in particular really surprised me.  One of my favorite listens of the past couple months.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 25, 2023, 09:30:09 PMRichard H. Kirk - Disposable Half-Truths 1980

Appreciate the tip. Found tracks from this on YT and really enjoy it.
Shikata ga nai.

post-morten

If you're into the early sounds of Cabaret Voltaire I wholeheartedly want to recommend the works of Eric Random. He was an associate of the Cabs, played on their The Pressure Company live album, and recorded his own material in their Western Works studio. I have the mini-LP That's What I Like About Me by Random and it's vintage industrial music very reminiscent of Red Mecca and Voice Of America era CV. It's very conveniently collected on the Subliminal compilation album along with other material of his.

I used to have the Time High Fiction 2LP by Richard H. Kirk but it was purged from my collection at some point. It never really grabbed my attention.

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 25, 2023, 09:30:09 PMRichard H. Kirk - Disposable Half-Truths 1980

why has nobody talked about how great this album is?  why haven't I heard it before now?  If you can trust the search function on the board, only one mention of him.  One of the members of Cabaret Voltaire, and I've foolishly ignored exploring the solo works until now.  Crude early electronics and manipulations, but also futurist like you'd find on early Clock DVA/Adi Newton releases.  That in particular really surprised me.  One of my favorite listens of the past couple months.

burdizzo1

Quote from: post-morten on November 01, 2023, 05:52:43 PMI used to have the Time High Fiction 2LP by Richard H. Kirk but it was purged from my collection at some point. It never really grabbed my attention.

Yes, in general it wasn't that great - but "Shaking Down The Tower Of Babel" is a gem.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Barstool Mountain - Tightrope Walker LP (Absurd Exposition)

I've had this one for a few months now but just haven't had a chance to play it yet. Where Altar of Flies is a more composed and thought-out process of sounds, Barstool Mountain as I understand is Mattias' stripped down and generally alcohol-influenced project. Not sure if that's always the case but I know it was mentioned in past releases. So in the nature of the project, I had a bit if whisky for my listening session which I think the artist would approve of. The intake of alcohol by the artist does not at all impact the quality of the sounds, maybe the opposite! Nothing sounds sloppy, there is a good mix of fist-pumping harsh noise and even some more quiet dynamic moments, but not too many! A lot of classic super high-pitched feedback manipulation, some metal junk, and just classic stripped down grimy sounds. Feels like everything noise should be!

The song titles feel like they could be punk or even old outlaw country song titles. I know Mattias mentioned in a recent interview with the Untitled magazine that he's a big country fan. Some of the songs are, "Raw Power", "Cigarette Burns", Forget How It Used To Be", "One More Round" and so on.

Definitely one of the better releases from the project among a fistful of already great releases. This might be my favorite along with II. However, everything is very worthwhile from Mattias' imbibing alter ego.

Dead Body Love - Emetic LP (Phage Tapes)
Been on a Dead Body Love kick recently and catching up on all of the reissues. I was slacking on grabbing this LP and the Destruction's Geometry from Phage, as well as the Prayers for the Sick and on Tribe Tapes, and Input Error reissues of Stand in Blood and Horrors of the Human Body. However, after getting Puke on my Corpse from WCN and reigniting my love for DBL, I ordered everything all at once and completely splurged! Emetic is the only recent reissue to get the LP treatment and now I wish I grabbed that Audiocide 95 that Urashima did a while back... I prefer CD reissues typically but Emetic sounds great on LP.

A very crunchy release. The A-side, Spasms, is composed of a lot of loop-based sounds which I wasn't expecting. Crunchy loops that last for 5, 10, or 20 seconds and then move on to a newer quasi-rhythm, all while staying very harsh and textural. I've been listening to some earlier Macro material from the 90 to 92-ish era recently as well and there are similarities in method to that sound. While never straying away from being overtly harsh, there is a bit of variety in the sense that I hear some buried samples, vocals, and other elements sprinkled beneath the waves of harshness.

B-side, Excretions, is more free-flowing electronics but still has some loop elements, but far less. A good mix of mid and lower-end frequencies. Really punishing sounds. Full-spectrum press. While side A was good, side B for me is definitely the star of the show and top-tier DBL. The man really was doing the harsh full spectrum stuff that influenced so many in the mid-2000s crunchy noise scene. I just heard The Rita or The Cherry Point before I heard DBL due to the timing of getting into noise and what was available. Excellent LP.

Apes Clog Snag

Domaine Poétique 7xCD (New Forces)

After two years of just throwing in a random cd from the box when I feel like that sweet sweet 80's cassette culture ambiance, it was time to go through this chronologically. I would say my favorite material is on the third disc "Exhale Slowly" and the last one "There & Then". "Exhale Slowly" is more on the melted side. Noisy, rusty, crumbling, can't tell sounds from each other, could be a 2 minute track on some Hands To tape but it's an hour of bliss instead! Absolutely no idea who is contributing what on it. "There & Then" is more clear, not exactly a clean recording, but it's easy to tell what is happening, although the sounds themselves are puzzling. There's moments where it sounds like one of them is hissing and making bird calls through a thin pvc pipe or something.

Through the box there is quite a lot of wondering if some sound is a field recording or some object being played with. I think both artists at the time liked to play with that a lot. There's also a lot of birds and a lot of traffic, I think almost every disc has a bit of both. And hum, from a microhpone, a faulty wire, or overblown room sound, whatever it is it's constant and beautifully warm. Some insects visit the spetrum. And there's quite a lot of percussive sounds. Like big pounding percussions. Unrecognizable speech, either slowed down or from an untuned radio. Floorboards creaking, rocks being handled, staying under a sheet of corrugated iron in a rainstorm. There's way too much stuff happening during these seven hours to describe it all. And I keep wondering how it's actually recorded. Sometimes I'm sure that one of them sent a tape of field recordings to the other, who then just blasted it from their stereos while doing their own sounds on top of that and into a next cassette. At least I enjoy imagining it like that.

Naj – Resituation Smile CD (Pure)

Experimental noise group from Lithuania. Don't know how to describe this any other way but as sound manipulations. Very delicate, reserved, just on the verge of recognisability. 30 minute first track tickles the exact nerve for odd stuff to listen at small hours. Perhaps reminds me a bit of Crawl Unit?

Fistfuck Masonanie

Dead Body Love - Horrors of the Human Body CD (Input Error)

Holy goddamn if this isn't the one. Besides Lo-fi Power Carnage, this may be one of the all-time absolute smashers. Possibly blasphemous to say but right up there with Lo-Fi Power Carnage for sheer brutality. This one has it all. Absolute low-end and full spectrum crushing power. This reissue adds the 31-minute full version of Torture King which was originally an unreleased track from 1996 and a monster of a track that only appeared on an earlier DBL compilation called "Retrocuts" in a 21-minute version. Cannot recommend enough and emphasize how crushing this release is.

coalmouth___

Fistfuck Masonanie

Flysch - Concrete Horizon CD (Chondritic Sound)

Picked up the new Body Carve which I'm extremely excited to check out, but also took advantage of a couple of other CDs being on sale at Chondritic currently and grabbed the Flysch full-length as well as the Radiosonde reissue that came out a couple of years ago. None of the Flysch tracks were available on Bandcamp and I'm assuming the artist made a conscious effort in that regard and it helped pique my interest a bit.

The only other release I've heard from Flysch previously is the Floating on a Rope b/w Friendly Latitude tape on New Forces. That was a great tape and this is one of those artists I wish I'd spent more time keeping up with as the first impression was solid, but I reluctantly haven't. Trying to rectify that now.

There is a lot to love about this CD. An absolutely packed release with 70 minutes of material. Starts off with an intense 5-minute track and then cascades into a 30-minute opus. Full of constantly moving and kinetic sounds with crunch, with a good focus on the mids and the highs. There are some great cochlear drilling frequencies that will absolutely tickle your inner ear hairs. I love this kind of stuff. The sounds flow so well and it somehow never gets stale. The next few tracks play a bit more with dynamics which is welcome after 35 minutes of relentless pounding and helps keeps your attention across the full album. Some dynamic metal work and subdued undulating sounds. For 70-minutes of material, the whole CD never becomes a chore and is engaging through out which is an extreme accomplishment.

This is truly excellent noise and something that if I had listened to when it was released back in 2021, would have easily been on the top of my year-end list. Essential. Now to backtrack and find all of the releases I've missed...

FreakAnimalFinland

Bought ALTAR OF FLIES "Autumn Meditations" 7", thinking... 15 euro for 7"... it really is hard getting used to current age price level! hah.. but then it arrives and is actually lathe 7". So production costs probably even higher. Transparent square slab with two tracks on it, quite minimal charming tape recorded clatter. I like. Listened few times instantly. Price certainly fine!

MARCONYMPHA "transsexual pt 2" 7" on Fusty. Neat hand made touch on booklet, some glue work etc. 7" is ok, room recording type of harsh noise, not ideal timbre in it, but noise wise decent harsh noise! Packaging has more stuff than the early split with S&Q had.

GENETIC TRANSMISSIONS "Kapok / Music for Vienna aktionists" CD
Zoharum CD reissue series of G.T. stuff has been extensive, but who knows if it has been appreciated as widely as this Polish act would deserve? Good noisy collage weirdness here, and I remember back in the day there was a bit more talk about it, but these days I don't see name popping up in discussions. Very much recommended to check those CD reissues! Basically any of them.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

piisti

!!! Very much recommended to check those CD reissues! Basically any of them. !!!!

FreakAnimalFinland

Returning to Genocide Organ / Prurient LP version, and somehow finally start to get more into it. Some vocal sounds still feel like.. could be better, but sonically, there are lots of good tracks. It has been usual routine with a bit newer GO related releases, that they have such a legacy behind, that it takes a while to really get into new release sounds like. LP edition cover works better than CD. It is also possible the little extra dirt of vinyl edition makes it have more impact than CD? I think I should start revisiting some GO stuff what didn't first make huge impact, since now with time passed since previous listens, would probably have different impact. Not saying they would not be good, just can't remember any obvious "hit songs" like I do from most of old albums. More like advanced overall vibe.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net