PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

DETERGE "Anacoluthon" tape
Anabolic Dimensions
Holy shit! I do have couple items of Deterge stuff laying around, but didn't remember it could be this good? Again, very little to offer for those who expect radical innovations within contemporary power electronics, but for those who like good stuff.. worthy purchase indeed! A-side is more basic. Think of highly electric noise somewhere in Bastard Noise / Final Solution / old Bloodyminded / later days of Intrinsic Action. Sharper, noisier, and longer track. Very "dry" sound, with nothing droning, feedbacking etc. B-side starts like drone version of Whitehouse Total Sex! Dominating reverb and airy nearly melodic tones, yet everything soon transforms into harder and harsher blurry mass of distorted drones and effected vocals. Looks like this project has been around merely couple years now, so I would imagine here's something to remember. I would assume the sound, which has some tinny digital qualities benefit of tape format.

DAVID GILDEN "Depress-regress" tape
Slaughter productions
While plenty of Slaughter stuff has been now reissued by Urashima, I have my doubts whether there would ever be David Gilden reissues? Man has disappeared already long ago. Latest release was 1998 and according to several sources died ten years later. But what a discography! Releases on Deadline, MSNP, Slaughter, Tidal Wave Recycling etc.. and many of his great works dating to era now some refer as the golden era of "mid 90's american harsh noise". Crunchy, saturated, brutal to the bone, yet with skilled manipulation and textures and diverse sounds. Once member in Black Leather Jesus, Bondage Harvest, Lingula, The Slave Labor and more... while not doubting the skills of his team-mates in those projects (most often Ramirez), David appears to be the force that makes those sounds top of the game. While material is quite complex, it has the feeling of live edit. Abrupt volume changes here and there, occasional turn of knob may sometimes go to wrong direction, but soon back on track...   So what is the best of Gildens works? My votes go for this or "Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend" !
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 02, 2013, 11:26:56 AM
Man has disappeared already long ago.

Probably he died several years ago. I have got only "Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend" and Depress / Regress Vol. 2" and no doubt, it should re-issue the rest his music.

Dr Alex

Quote from: Dr Alex on July 31, 2013, 03:54:12 PMBudrūs - Canine Visions IX cd (4 years after debut album... A MASTERPIECE!! Highly recommended!!!)

Still can't stop to listen this album. For now, it's best album of 2013. for me!!

RyanWreck

DETERGE "Anacoluthon" tape
Anabolic Dimensions
Holy shit! I do have couple items of Deterge stuff laying around, but didn't remember it could be this good? Again, very little to offer for those who expect radical innovations within contemporary power electronics, but for those who like good stuff.. worthy purchase indeed!

Definitely agree with this. Deterge is a unit that seemed to go from decent to great over night. "Peace Corps" is incredibly well done as well and, for me, marks the point in which I started to really listen to the project and seek out more.

online prowler

Graustich

"Dedicated to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty".

The quality of this tape took me by surprise. Skilled craftsmanship to the bone. Power electronics with unusual and versatile musical fundament. Early industrial references to synth-driven audial landscapes. No vox, sample based material from interviews and documentraies: An unaffected calm study in WW2 atrocities. Freq reg is mainly devoted to low and mid range, but it feels quite balanced. One of my current favs.

Wolf Eyes

"No Answer Lower Floors"

Still listening this one in, so not much to say than I quite enjoy the first impression. A lot of noise bangers. New album seems to be quite influenced by Nate's Regression project. Interesting mix of styles. Highly skilled production.

Chains of Death Command

"Live"

Finnish filth. Raw and primitive recordings with metal, punk, doom and psych - føkk you - attitude. Motorhead is shit compared to this. Recently reissued studio tape on F&V is damn good as well.

Bodystocking

"Sheer spidertouch".

Industrial techno as we fashionably call it now. Whatever ... this is the best of the dance oriented/techno albums/EPs I've heard this year. Kicks both Bronze Age and Vatican Shadow. Three dense, minimal tracks with depth and punch. Play Loud. I fancy this is good music for punishing anal sex.

BIZARRE UPROAR

"Putrid Live Activities 2011-2012" 4XTAPE

Føkking AIE!!!  

RyanWreck

Pretty much worshipping this album this past few weeks. It's really everything I like in my Metal; proto-Death Metal from the late 80's when it was still more Thrash oriented, shouty Thrash vocals rather than guttural DM vocals, songs that last about 1:30-2:00 minutes long and half way through the mid-paced d-beat, sometimes Punk drumming, most of these songs usually give way to pummeling burst beats which is why this album has so much clout in the Grindcore sun-genre, and lastly, just that badass album art! Reminds me of the Carcass re-release of "Reek of Putrefaction", the art of which I also really love:

These guys also worshipped Repulsion so they made a ripper of an album that is so obvious in its influences that at times it sounds like it could be Repulsion's long lost demo tapes. It's catchy yet heavy and somewhat raw and leans just a tiny, tiny bit more towards Death Metal than Repulsion did, kind of in the vein of Terrorizer's "World Downfall". A+ shit.

Vomitor is one of the few bands that started after the year 2001 and are still active that I really, really love. There have been so many throwback styles and bands in the Metal scenes that it gets annoying. And yes Vomitor is one of these throwback, "revival" bands but they do it so well and hit the nail on the head over and over. The vibe is that of the sloppy, fast Blackened Thrash of Sodom "Obsessed By Cruelty" with some "Seven Churches" in there, and that's it, they don't need anything else. Fast blasting drums, schizo riffs and echo/delayed vocals spit out as quickly as possible which sounds so much like Angelripper at his best.

Dr Alex

Edward Sol / Anla Courtis ‎- Sunburst Lux 7" (interesting experimental split)
S K L S ‎- S K L S 7" (really nice drone)
Burning Star Core / DEL - Split 7" (great psychedelic noise and noise rock)
Sewer Goddess ‎- Mutilation Process tape (amazing atmospheric death industrial)

eyestrain

Developer MZK013 (Mazurka Editions): Again with the start/stop business. The first few minutes of the cassette are a bit tedious, but the chaos abruptly molds into something fantastic. Perhaps it was too early in the morning for me to really absorb the intentions of this tape, but I still found it to be exemplary of Developer's willingness to experiment. Will be coming back in the evening after a bottle of wine is down the hatch. Will probably have different opinions then. Have to mention the inclusion of many "tinny" sounds that were also, somehow, so enveloping. Not sure what these were - metal sheets? (obviously not an uncommon medium, but...) - but I heard a lot of refreshing frequencies on this tape.

Being Cracking Whip Of A Cosmic String (Mazurka Editions): No lofty aspirations here, just straight-to-it harsh noise from the first second of the tape. C15 is a perfect length for this type of material. The mood was right for me and the tape sat so well.

Props to Mazurka for printing their inserts on a lovely vellum, the cream tapes, and the very surprising artwork. Loved it all. Can't wait for this new Litüus tape later in the year.

Novo Progresso Swan Song For A Decaying Culture (Järtecknet): Not too, too familiar with Klaus Hansen's work (Ashley C, Cambodia Camping Service, etc) but I haven't been too fond of what I've heard so far. I'm also not a fan of the Posh Isolation sound or mystique so this tape was a bit of a plunge for me. On the other hand, I have not been disappointed with Järtecknet yet, so this tape seemed worth the plunge. Yet, in the end I'd say I felt disappointment... There is this constant hold - no build, no decay, yet the sounds, other than being bizarre in their own right, have little to offer. A-side was vaguely irritating. B-side begins with a manipulated voice sample that never morphs. B2 is a noise track built from the sound of a whistle, bombs and fanfare - an adventurous concept, but is about as interesting as your average hype-building, Reich-flirting "industrial" that was all the rage in the 90's. Moving on.

Skin Graft Drenched (Danvers State Recordings): Howland at his usual bass-heavy, lava-flow, drunk, miserable and abject noise. Good 'ol 'Graft. A-side doesn't see release until about the last 45 seconds of its nearly 20-minute playtime. B1 has a handful of volume changes that I'm not entirely sure were intentional. If they were, I could do without. As a whole, this was less monosyllabic than the average Skin Graft release.

Anemone Tube Transfiguration Of The Image (Danvers State Recordings): Have been refreshing Danvers' BigCartel daily every since I saw the announcement for this tape. When it was finally time to order, I just clicked "Buy" not paying a mind to any detail on the site. Certainly felt a sense of disappointment when the tape arrived, thinking it would be a C25 of new material, when really it is 1:26 of new music and three comp tracks from the 90's, repeated on each side. Still, I threw the tape in and my concerns were tossed aside. I don't know if these recordings have been remastered, but they all certainly have an incredible density and volume. The new track "Under The Mask Of Beauty" could have easily been prolonged another 10 minutes and been fully enjoyed. Great, great tones on this track. Also have to commend Herr Hanser for always incorporating beautiful graphic design work and loftier quotations/references than the usual Sotos and/or SS shite. Makes my art history degree tingle to see a Delaroche painting on the cover. Was sitting through a massive rain storm (we have a tin roof) when this tape was playing...can't say what was what, but the effect (playing at full volume) was all-encompassing. Great tape!!

Die Weisse Rose A Martyrium Of White Roses (Cold Meat Industry): CMI, blatant Blood Axis Blót... keyboard tones, Nietzsche quotes, jugend cover, DI6 tour...blah...you get the point. Thoroughly unimpressed.

Der Blutharsch Time Is Thee Enemy! (WKN): Ten years later and this album is still so fucking good. I've been amazed and bored to death by various releases since this guy came out, but I still hold this (and that Aluk Todolo collaboration) in the highest regard. So much variety, at times it feels like a comp/mix (but this is no complaint for once!). Albin is correct that you must approach their music in a completely effortless mood. When I feel this way, the music almost always is to be enjoyed.

terminus01

So what is the best of Gildens works? My votes go for this or "Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend" !

still dying for the possibility of gilden reissues. i would make those happen in a second.

depress/regress vol. 2 is up there for sure -- a good solid 45 minute block of crunchy noise. also the 'noise attacks the suburbs' private tape, which is 30 non-stop minutes of high energy, dynamic rollercoaster noise with no filler whatsoever. for the lingula i've heard, 'radio freak's ultimate weapon' is the highlight; fluid live dynamics. haven't heard the splits with lasse marhaug or francois douris unfortunately, or sawgasm ...

STREETMEAT

Quote from: terminus01 on August 04, 2013, 08:44:58 PM
So what is the best of Gildens works? My votes go for this or "Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend" !

still dying for the possibility of gilden reissues. i would make those happen in a second.

depress/regress vol. 2 is up there for sure -- a good solid 45 minute block of crunchy noise. also the 'noise attacks the suburbs' private tape, which is 30 non-stop minutes of high energy, dynamic rollercoaster noise with no filler whatsoever. for the lingula i've heard, 'radio freak's ultimate weapon' is the highlight; fluid live dynamics. haven't heard the splits with lasse marhaug or francois douris unfortunately, or sawgasm ...

someone needs to do bootlegs..

eyestrain

Sewer Election Att Rita En Massaker (Dokumentarisk Agenda): I haven't followed much of SE's activity aside from the three fantastic collaborations with Treriksröset. This is my first foray into Dan Johansson's more recent (and supposedly different) work. There is that certain harsh noise element hiding beneath the skin, but all in all this is something entirely unique for me. It's electro-acoustic without touching that shtick more than 15%. It reminds me of, how ironically since they toured together, some of Elisha Morningstar, Blodvite or Altar Of Flies' recent material. Wonderful!

Sewer Election & Frederikke Hoffmeier Den Blege Grå Tone (Second Sleep): This makes use of the manipulation of voice recording far, far more successfully than say, the Novo Progresso tape I mentioned above. LP starts harsh and develops into something much more interesting.

Sewer Election Vittra Sönder (Throne Heap): Like a meshing of the two above. Not sure where these all stand as far as a timeline is concerned, but it would seem that this LP led to the creation of the two albums mentioned prior. The least exciting of the bunch, but worthy of countless repeats nonetheless.

Ride For Revenge/Below Split (Bestial Burst): RFR's side is similar to the most amateur take on Dystopia I've ever heard. So fucking boring. 20 minutes of one riff that is worthy as a 15 second intro at best. Below isn't worth mentioning at all. YAWN! I can't see how this is recommended for fans of the Undor split as that was absolutely crucial!

Ride For Revenge/Meti Bhuvah Split (Bestial Burst): THIS is the RFR I love. Totally absurd and pulling out the surprises. Vocoder on track one seeming more in line with a Devo track than with black metal. Track two is a harsh noise burst to tell all the metal puritans to fuck off! Lovely! Meti Bhuvah is sorta like Below. Fuck off!

RyanWreck

Quote from: eyestrain on August 04, 2013, 04:13:49 AM
Developer MZK013 (Mazurka Editions): Again with the start/stop business. The first few minutes of the cassette are a bit tedious, but the chaos abruptly molds into something fantastic. Perhaps it was too early in the morning for me to really absorb the intentions of this tape, but I still found it to be exemplary of Developer's willingness to experiment. Will be coming back in the evening after a bottle of wine is down the hatch. Will probably have different opinions then. Have to mention the inclusion of many "tinny" sounds that were also, somehow, so enveloping. Not sure what these were - metal sheets? (obviously not an uncommon medium, but...) - but I heard a lot of refreshing frequencies on this tape.

Loved this tape. The metal sounds in a few spots were odd, sometimes it sounded like someone unsheathing a sword, probably just the way the samples and tape loops were cut and sped up. Haven't been let down by Developer at all, who is emerging quickly alongside Wince as a top Noise act in the States.

eyestrain

Quote from: RyanWreck on August 05, 2013, 07:25:28 AM
Quote from: eyestrain on August 04, 2013, 04:13:49 AM

Loved this tape. The metal sounds in a few spots were odd, sometimes it sounded like someone unsheathing a sword, probably just the way the samples and tape loops were cut and sped up. Haven't been let down by Developer at all, who is emerging quickly alongside Wince as a top Noise act in the States.

Haven't given Wince the time of day yet...unless he was on United States Bestial Forces, but that's a hard thing to know hah. Time to invest a little bit. Thanks!

Dr Alex

Climax Denial ‎– One In The Chamber tape
Climax Denial ‎– All Of My Loves Are Like Dreams cd

This project is amazing! His sound, vocal and aesthetics are exactly what I like in noise/pe.
Remind me little bit of Taint and some Atrax Morgue but still original.

RyanWreck

Quote from: eyestrain on August 05, 2013, 11:11:30 AM
Haven't given Wince the time of day yet...unless he was on United States Bestial Forces, but that's a hard thing to know hah. Time to invest a little bit. Thanks!

Yes! Yes, you should definitely invest in some Wince. His label, White Centipede Noise, had unlimited releases so you can probably still snatch up "Vasovagal Syncope", the split with Grain Belt (he's in that unit as well, and you should look into them while you're at it; HN heavily focused on junk/metal abuse) and his S/T tape. He did stop doing unlimited releases awhile back, though, but I wouldn't doubt if he still had some. I did an interview with him a few years back at my blog if you're interested:
http://purestench.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-white-centipede-noise.html

I also did one, more recently than the WCN interview, with Skeleton Dust/Developer:
http://purestench.blogspot.com/2012/05/label-interview-skeleton-dust.html

Another good Harsh Noise project I've been really into is Nematomorpha. Add them to your list of HN to check out.