PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

SPEARHEAD "Stand your ground" LP
Barracuda
Italian label put out LP version of debut back in 2002. UK studio project of members of Avalon and English Rose. If you know how those two bands sound like, you can pretty much guess exactly how Spearhead sounds like. Trad british rac all the way.

SPECULUM FIGHT "Live in Tokyo '95" LP
What The... ? Records
Intense noise drone. It starts very piercing and broken and develops into kind of harmonic and droning, yet almost painful and noisy sound. Good quality live recording! Very good.

MSBR / Richard Ramirez "Negative / Offensive" LP
Ecstatic Peace!
Tribute to The New Blockaders. Third and final collaboration of these two artists. MSBR side is pretty lazy and boring stuff. Ramirez is actually quite tasty! 2009 release, so not too old. It has good texture and nice drive forward.

AMERICAN BAND "Low Fiction" LP
Hot Releases
2009 release. Their live gig in one of No Fun Fest was amazing. Just pure harsh noise wall, of course, but lots of members. Jason Crumer, Matt Franco, Lee Counts appear on this LP, but there was more at gig? One has some animal rib-cage contact mic'ed. Was just holding this piece of ribs with some wires, meat still hanging from bones, screaming. Big guy. Got this LP later on. It's less of "just HNW". 7 tracks, each slightly different. Mostly loud noise nevetheless. It perhaps isn's as innovative as for example Jason Crumers solo work, but still very good harsh noise stuff here, certainly way way better than MSBR/Ramirez LP mentioned above. Still, funnily enough, take a look at discogs and you find SEVERAL copies of this LP for sale for 5euro or less! Huh. I guess the noisebiz has gone down the drain almost all around the world, but come-on. This good noise LP's for 3 euro? And nobody bought it?! WTF!? I consider this easily regular retail price worth.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: eyestrain on June 05, 2014, 03:42:25 AM
Swans - To Be Kind (Young God): This was nothing like the wet fart I found their recent live show to be, but I'm also definitely just burnt out on Gira's stardom. ... and while it's cool to listen to, I guess I'm just over the hype. Not bad. Not great.

That's an interesting comment. I generally make an effort to insulate myself from the hype to which you refer and perhaps that's why To Be Kind is for me much more immediate – fewer steaming piles of bullshit to wade through. (No worries, though. I've got buttloads of other bullshit to swim in, self-ladled and otherwise.) I would say this is the most Swans-sounding Gira has managed in a  long time. Mind you, in my warped view the last true Swans album was New Mother (under the Angels Of Light incarnation), where the two prior Swans Rehammered offerings, while for me enjoyable, were more like an extension of where Angels were going in their last album (a direction I did not particularly like). Years back, if someone had told me TBK was the follow-up to, say, Children Of God, or some of the later albums, including Soundtracks, I wouldn't have batted an ear. In any event, I have no real expectations from Gira at this point. Even Swans Half-Nailed would pin me to the stake and burn me to a crisp. And that he now seems to be moving in the right direction is pure gravy (at least, I hope it's gravy...)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

The more recent Swans songs are better live...sometimes.  The albums proper are on the uninspired side, but they nail those songs live on occasion.  Maybe they've always been more of a live band, but that hasn't been my personal experience until lately.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Dr Alex

S.T.A.B. Electronics ‎– Instrument For Operating On Mutant Women LP (Perfection!!! Somebody should re-release all his works on cds!)
Bizarre Uproar ‎– Vihameditaatio LP (still can't deal with this. Previous two albums was much better IMHO)

HongKongGoolagong

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS - Estuary English - advance copy kindly sent by Philip & Sarah - a very short album at just 21 minutes. Russell Haswell is listed as full band member and there are 29 different brands of electronic sources, effects etc used - it's varied in its sonic palette and very professionally recorded. Hideous and nightmarish sounds throughout. Two tracks do use beats and those tracks also feature especially extreme and deranged vocal delivery. Long lyric booklet full of dirty words and worrying thoughts, obviously a lot of work went into that. There's a funny William Blake detournement on the first track, and the last track is a mysterious spoken word poem, accapella.

FreakAnimalFinland

Borbetomagus &  Shaking Ray Levis "Coelacanth" 10"
Agraric
1991 release. First was little "blah". It's absolutely nowhere near as good as for example the recent live LP release. However, started to get into mood after a little white. Free jazzy noises.

HELM "Inpasse" LP

New Images
recorded 2007-2011. Droning electronics, some very loop oriented as well. Like with 10" above, I felt like all other HELM has been better, but can't say exactly why I think so. Didn't awake any special mood here, but still decent stuff. I think first track perhaps makes the album hit with less impact.

LE SYNDICAT / SEKTOR 304 "Geometry of Chromium skin" LP
Rotorelief
Album is quite hit & miss. Some really nice moments - which probably lean towards S304 sound. But when sort of break beat drum machines and hi-tech electronics are in, oh... it gets old so fast in my ears. If all good stuff would have been compressed to one side of LP, it would be probably positive experience, but I just can't handle this kind of "techno" things...

AMPH / ARV & MILJÖ LP
Järtecknet
Am I somehow depressed on noise today? AMPH is pretty good, although hardly mindblowing. But A&M also sounds very forgettable. It's like the HNW stuff he likes to criticize, hehe.. ? Maybe I should relisten this soon with zero background noise, but how you do it on summer times when windows may need to be open?

V/A TEN JIN -LP
Urashima
Postponed listening this a lot. I admire Lust Vessel a lot, and while this LP is good, I think it still isn't as good as LUST VESSEL label tapes has been. Maybe many of projects benefit from longer tracks? While its good, it's not mindblowing. Artwork is some of the nicest ever seen on Urashima releases. Utmost care on design.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

eyestrain

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 06, 2014, 08:59:34 PM
Quote from: eyestrain on June 05, 2014, 03:42:25 AM
Swans - To Be Kind (Young God): This was nothing like the wet fart I found their recent live show to be, but I'm also definitely just burnt out on Gira's stardom. ... and while it's cool to listen to, I guess I'm just over the hype. Not bad. Not great.

That's an interesting comment. I generally make an effort to insulate myself from the hype to which you refer and perhaps that's why To Be Kind is for me much more immediate – fewer steaming piles of bullshit to wade through. (No worries, though. I've got buttloads of other bullshit to swim in, self-ladled and otherwise.) I would say this is the most Swans-sounding Gira has managed in a  long time. Mind you, in my warped view the last true Swans album was New Mother (under the Angels Of Light incarnation), where the two prior Swans Rehammered offerings, while for me enjoyable, were more like an extension of where Angels were going in their last album (a direction I did not particularly like). Years back, if someone had told me TBK was the follow-up to, say, Children Of God, or some of the later albums, including Soundtracks, I wouldn't have batted an ear. In any event, I have no real expectations from Gira at this point. Even Swans Half-Nailed would pin me to the stake and burn me to a crisp. And that he now seems to be moving in the right direction is pure gravy (at least, I hope it's gravy...)

Admittedly, it was aimless of me to even mention the hype, although reading Gira's pompous, but interesting nonetheless, interviews always seems to be the number one thing making me hype the music up. I've played the album a few times since, and while I enjoy it more than I thought at first, I don't think I'll replay this much. Anyway...

Skin - The World Of Skin (Product Inc./Rough Trade): With all my pondering on Swans, I wanted to dig through some related favorites. Whether this is aurally successful or not - there's a few duds (Iggy cover...ugh) - it feels like a much more earnest and "real" look inside a person. Not just a selfish attempt at "ecstacy" or whatever seems to be the current trope. Jarboe'd Swans was definitely my last exploration into their universe, and while I don't think I enjoy her music much, she can sometimes be the greatest accompaniment to Gira (and crew). There's something accidentally timeless in some of these songs. Just gotta keep the skip button near a few times.

Kassel Jaeger - Ritual De La Mort Du Soleil (Unfathomless): More like Toxic Cosmopolitanism (although slightly less "digital" still) than his energized and subtly vicious recordings. Calm, perplexing use of outdoor/natural sounds in the beginning of evening. On a long train ride today and this is the best thing I've heard.

Allerseelen - Heimliche Welt (Ahnstern): Running up with Stirb Und Werde as my favorite piece from Kadmon. Occasionally intense, almost-always fascinating album of collected sounds without any of the "caricature-ness" of many of the recent albums. Again, an individual that can be rather fascinating that somehow makes me seek out current works even though I might be guaranteed to feel "meh" about it.

Knækkede Stemmer - Første Portræt (Et Hult In Menneske) (Järtecknet): Been a while since I spun this. Better than I remember - or the mood is perfect today, I dunno. So bleak, so miserable, so wonderful.

V/A - Sacral Symphony (EE Tapes): Sometimes I struggle to stay awake with this one; very entrancing. The same way I am with many of the Steven R. Smith works that I adore. I assume, judging by certain characteristics of the tracks, that the artists are manipulating or recreating sacred music. Cisfinitum (whom I rarely enjoy) definitely is the highlight for me - reminds me of the totally ignored Silbernacht disc on Ajna. 1000schøen - never heard anything else - takes the silver with a nice electroacoustic-ish piece. Troum is surprisingly my least preferred, but it's still decent.

moozz

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 04, 2014, 03:25:02 PM
THE NEW BLOCKADERS "Schadenklang" LP
Hypnagogia
Jesus Christ!! Finally arrived this pre-ordered special edition LP. Took something like... 2 and half years? Probably. Long enough time to forget even when it was made.

I hope this means that Rupenus is actually shipping out all those pre-ordered records from more than two years ago! Anyone else received this or the TNB/Vomir/Haters collaboration lately? Or is Rupenus sending these only to the scene superstars? :)

P-K

Kommando 'kranial klash' lp ....it has been a loooong time since i bought anything on Ant-Zen. Pre-Thorofon project, new work...throbbing synth, flanger-vocals, could be 90ies Steinklang release. Basically trademark 'german pe', good but seems completely void of theme (of i missed it).

Baglady

ALFARMANIA & PROIEKT HAT - Furyfication LP (Harsh Head Rituals)
Having listened alot to the brilliant Astral Slaktmask tape this week, I felt like spinning this one too. This is much louder and harsher in comparison. It also has more of the roomy sound one usually expects from Kristian Olsson. Cold biting stuff. Great LP. Can't say which of these two collaborations I like the most though, as I feel they complement eachother very well, and the new tape proves once more how well Olsson and Proiekt Hat work together.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Baglady on June 08, 2014, 07:42:26 PM
ALFARMANIA & PROIEKT HAT - Furyfication LP (Harsh Head Rituals)

I listened to that LP a couple of nights ago & liked it more than I remembered. The next day, I threw on another record & found my turntable was on 45rpm* so I need to listen to "Furyfication" again...

Yesterday, I listened to CANNIBAL FEROX  a few times & ALL THE COLOURS OF THE DARK.

*I think I hit the speed button after removing the LP..

octis

Despise You - West Side Horizons

Grindish crust is a trust.

RyanWreck

Watched both of the latest DVDr's from "Wrath". The editing and concepts for the Unclean video is very well done, both tracks used for the video can be found on the earliest Unclean release "Obscenities" on Filth & Violence. Pogrom is a live set and recording with just intro and outro video clips, the rest of the visual documentation is of the live show along with projector playing in the background which is pretty easy to make out, at least the few times I looked over (I recognized the nigger girl in the mask drinking cum that was used in, I believe, the "Liberal Cunt" art). As far as the sounds go it is very solid stuff. I popped it in when I was doing stuff and was piqued quite a few times, something rare when said album is intended to be "background". It obviously deserves much more attention and I am going to listen again tonight with an alert ear, no distractions and headphones.

octis

Brighter Death Now - oh what a night

Actualy , it is my first meeting with this act .. No need to strech words about this album ..