PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 14, 2014, 07:19:24 AM
Iron Lung - Savagery 2014 - smoking power-violence.  I still love this style.  I need more in this style.  Any recommendations from the last five years?  I'm sure I've missed a few.

IMO there's no one quite like Iron Lung but, if you're to try and get close to that sounds Full of Hell and Purity Control are the first two bands that come to mind.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: eyestrain on August 14, 2014, 07:27:24 AM
Wertham - Lombroso II (Corrosive Art): Didn't quite do as much for me, but compare that to Mikko's comment above. What I do really like about this tape though, is that it has those harsh noise-like moments.

Yeah, less minimalism. Less "formula music". I like coldness in music as well, but most often when sounds have slightly different nature than these had. In vol. II, it has more interesting texture to track. Of course one I listened while ago, other recently.

Quite similar category of "modern PE", would be REGOSPHERE "insomnia" tape (Danvers State Recordings). It was last thing I listened yesterday, and re-listened today. There is some quality in sound of "modern PE" what isn't hitting hard to me. Even when I like the material, it's not like more rugged lo-fi sound or properly amplified sounds effect my brain. I like this quite a lot, but despite seeminly complex structures and decent compositions and noisiness, there some flatness in sound when sounds are "too full"? Not sure how to explain it well. Not enough punch, not focused narrow sound ranges, but every sound is on all frequecies... This is perhaps best Regosphere stuff and most certainly still recommended.

CURRENT 93 presents : Venerable 'Chi.Med Rig.'Dzin Lama, Rinpoche "Tantric rNying.ma Chant Of Tibet" LP
Ritual chanting, bells and that's about it. C93 is just here to offer you recording of someone else. 1988 release.

NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS "Viral Shredding" LP

Illuminated Records
hah.. If in 2014 happened "viral shredding" I guess it would be 10 year old girl playing slayer covers at youtube. Back in 1983 it's Nocturnal Emission doing live gig of industrial music what is pretty accurate reflection of prototype industrial of the time?

THROBBING GRISTLE "1st Annual Report" LP
Get Back records
2001 repress from Italy. Looks and sounds ok. The "lost album". Recorded in studio 1975/76, previously released in 1987 as "Very Friendly" on Spurt Records. Together will all sorts of odd recordings of TG, should be most welcomed to any collection where some TG albums are. Was thinking when I should listen TG24 and TG10+ box sets. Both was started probably 10 years ago, but never finished...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

P-K

Puce Mary 'persona' lp
...only really heard the 2 FA-tapes en seen live 1x...is it me or is this really drifting into Nicole12 & Galakt H territory? ...flangervocals, pounding slow beats, throbbing synth.....sounds great but really seems to lack 'content' ?  tapes where muck better imho, rougher.

Cannibal Ferox OST  lp
...what a retro sleazefest ! One Way Static did a great job releasing this, dark green clouded vinyl that sounds great, strong gatefold, liner notes. top.

Bizarre Uproar 'vihameditaatio' lp
...cd was great, sounds even better on a black slab. more rumbling, more grotesque.

Kevlar 'alpha strife'  cdr
...rarely buy cdr these days, but samples sounded great, mix between 'german pe' and recent Shift heavyness, wellstructured. Maybe not perfect but certainly act to keep an eye on...

Aube/Sshe Retina Stimulants 'video field recordings'  pic-lp
...old stuff picked up recently....played loud i love these massive walls of electronics under reverb. Sterile in a good way.Also sounds rather good for a pic-lp !

Zeno Marx

Quote from: urall on August 14, 2014, 01:02:40 PM
Hatred Surge - Deconstruct - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3zgyrtFxQ
Dead In The Dirt - The Blind Hole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_0XSpcrf8
Magrudergrind - Crusher - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhOCUlMWA8M
Agents Of Abhorrence - Relief - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKz47XZaRo

Also check out Transient, Cloud Rat, Svffer, ACxDC, Sex Prisoner, Magnum Force, etc...
Thanks for the list.  That Hatred Surge album is really good.  Hadn't heard the other bands.  I like grind, but there is an abundance of grind.  Dead in the Dirt, Magrudegrind, and Agents don't register as even a sliver of power-violence for me.  Looking for that PV.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 14, 2014, 03:26:14 PM
IMO there's no one quite like Iron Lung but, if you're to try and get close to that sounds Full of Hell and Purity Control are the first two bands that come to mind.
Purity Control only have two EPs, correct?  I think it was the Adjusting EP that I preferred of the two.  More grind than PV as well, but they were more rooted in HC than so much of the new grind with undesirable death metal tones and feel.  Anyone know the deal with Purity Control?  Still together?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

urall

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 14, 2014, 08:09:54 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 14, 2014, 03:26:14 PM
Purity Control only have two EPs, correct?  I think it was the Adjusting EP that I preferred of the two.  More grind than PV as well, but they were more rooted in HC than so much of the new grind with undesirable death metal tones and feel.  Anyone know the deal with Purity Control?  Still together?

Don't know, ordered a PC shirt and a 7" from them a year ago, never got it. Send them a message, they would resend, never got that either..so they were still communicating as a band then.

To keep it Iron Lung related, make sure you check out that Dead Language LP on Iron Lung records.Bit of an all star band. And just this week was the anouncement of a new Pig Heart Transplant album - http://www.cvltnation.com/for-mass-consumption-pig-heart-transplant-track-stream-film-gift/

Mikerdeath

Quote from: urall on August 14, 2014, 08:44:37 PMmake sure you check out that Dead Language LP

A highly disappointing effort in my opinion.

new iron lung 7" http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/savagery-7 is streaming now sounds promising but I really wish they would get back to their electronic/noise interludes

Also new Pig Heart Transplant will be released soon.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Mikerdeath on August 15, 2014, 04:00:14 AM
Quote from: urall on August 14, 2014, 08:44:37 PMmake sure you check out that Dead Language LP
A highly disappointing effort in my opinion.
agreed.  not terrible, but
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Mikerdeath on August 15, 2014, 04:00:14 AM
new iron lung 7" http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/savagery-7 is streaming now sounds promising but I really wish they would get back to their electronic/noise interludes

I've always been pretty fond of those interludes, yet they're nothing that adds a major amount to their music since they're so brief. Sexless//No Sex, I think, will forever be their pinnacle for me. They shed that early-Converge skin that always kinda tainted their beginnings and they hit their miserable thematic's nail right on the head. That summer it was almost nothing but this album... Still gets a lot of plays in my limited "punk" rotations.

This new 7" is pretty rad, but I can't say they're heading anywhere new. Same with the PHT sample. More of the same. Good or bad? I don't think they necessarily care to evolve; looking at their label's majorly throwback output.

Ashmonger

Concrete Isolation - Lomax (C40, Cthulhic Dawn Productions): Same style as the Bury Me On The Lone Prairie tape, but this one has the second human centipede movie as a concept, there are some samples from the movie (I think, haven't seen it yet). Less desolate feeling. 20 minutes repeated on B-side.

Concrete Isolation - A War Between The Wars (C40, Cthulhic Dawn Productions): 5 longer tracks recorded in 2012. Some more use of vocals, though not in all tracks. While I do think his noise/pe doesn't necessarily need vocals, since it's good by itself, his vocals certainly are good enough (some kind of barking with effects) to use them a bit more often.
Altogether, I think the Bury Me... tape is the best of the recent tapes, I really like the eerie desolate atmosphere of that one and the atypical concept. Then again, for obvious reasons, it's the one I've been listening to most of all.

Lomax and  A War... are also available through Iron Scourge.

Puce Mary - Persona (LP, Posh Isolation): Hmm, seems like I like the two tapes that Freak Animal released more than this. I'll still have more listens to see if I can get more into it, but it feels like it's so minimalistic that I seem to miss certain parts or something like that...

Simon Balestrazzi - Annulled By Inertia (3" CDr, Diazepam): Industrial Noise, nice stuff.

Hexen & Wailing of the Winds (C30, Diazepam): Tape comes in an oversized black cardboard box, closed with a piece of rope and some twigs between it. The inside of the box has art glued into it. Both acts collaborate here on two sidelong tracks. This is soothing music, drones and some neo-folk like guitar parts, quite liked it!

Anenzephalia - Ephemeral Dawn (CD, Tesco Organisation): Can't go wrong with Anenzephalia, can you? Two remarks though: the second track (if I'm not mistaken) cuts off at the end and it seemed out of place with this kind of stuff. Then there's also another track, which has a sound which annoyed me, but I can't remember which track it is.

Pissdeads (Single Sided 7", Bringer of Gore/No Bread Records/Underground Pollution): Ok, some more noisecore. Certainly enjoyable.

FreakAnimalFinland

DER BLUTHARSCH "The Track Of The Hunted" LP and "the long way home" pic LP
WKN
Classic stuff + live 1999 stuff. Not bad, not bad at all. I have been kind of half way "fan", half way ignoring. I like "Der Sieg Des Lichtes Ist Des Lebens Heil!" A LOT, but at the same time, especially new material is something I can't stand really. Loops, noble historic feel, industrial vibes, etc. That's good.

STURMFUHRER "Niemals Vergessen" LP
SPR
Guy who played in many bands, from Incantation to Cattle press, to Disma and WOMB with his solo effort of industrial music. Slow beats, historical speeches, keyboard tones. Nothing that special, but at the same time, if blunt americanized version to look into german history works, then this most likely work! Its his 3rd and easily best album. Could be more "hand made" feel here, but not bad at all. Cliche, but at the same time timeless...

NYODENE D "Mouths that reap the harvest" LP
Urashima
Hmm.. I recall I just mentioned about one of his tapes being the best.. but maybe this!? Long tracks, slowly evolving. USA power electronics of current age, with strong industrial feel, slow and dark, suffocating atmosphere. Most likely his best to date? And when it's also one of the latest, I think its very good direction!

CAEN "middlefield" LP

Urashima
Listened this LP most of today. On repeat, always putting same side playing again. Drone music how it should be made! It has harmony, it has grain and ruggedness. It has minimalism, but tasty texture. Hard to say why exactly this works so well, but especially latter part of A-side is really nice listening. Recommended!

eyestrain

Sewer Election - Nära (Järtecknet): I can definitely agree with an earlier poster that this follows in the footsteps of the Hoffemeier collaborations. It's very subdued, hushed. No throbbing. There's even several tones/sounds that feel very familiar. Some of Johansson's more recent works have been appropriate-for-play in a lot of settings; in the car, on a walk, in the house, maybe with a few discerning friends. They've got harsh moments that help ground the listener and there's some remnants of that sticky sex sweat from the 00's. Nära differs largely in that (it seems like) it will only hold up with solo listening at home - emphasis on the solo aspect. The sound sources are faint, barely manipulated, never clear. It feels like a clipping of an insomniac day of self-neglect; just zoning out at the kitchen table; cold coffee and no appetite. A couple headlight flashes through the evening and the refrigerator's broken buzz. I think the choice of water recordings, on here and the recent lathe, are such an emotionally appropriate source. It's just that drip of thinking-of-giving-up. It may all just be very personally relevant, but this is like a bottled-up representation of many dreary years. There's something very real and earnest in this. And it's very refreshing to hear this kind of quasi-concrète music without any academic leanings. It's all very inward - almost like it was forever meant to remain there.

Jaakko V.

Joel Danielsson - The Death Of The Grey Wolf / Resurrection Of The King ‎

Listened through a few times today. Minimal acoustic sounds looped and layered in a very stylish manner. Some metals, flutes, field recordings and whatever. Eerie atmosphere. Could actually be described as "ritual music" but without the phony esoteric cheese all over it. *Really* good.

FreakAnimalFinland

WILL OVER MATTER "Phenomenal Highways " LP
white denim
Good LP! In WOM style of primitive oscillations. A-side ends really nicely and B-side is epic slow developing minimalism. Often very limited amount of sounds and pulsations, but becomes kind of unusual material what barely anyone else is making..

THE KOLMAS "Kolmas Testi" LP
Ektro
Minimal electronic beats, electronic sounds and such, gathered from 80's, 90's and recent times. Äijälä from Terveet Kädet who has taken part in several more experimental things since late 70's. At best album could referred to be something in lines of old Panasonic or Mika Vainio's work of cold yet highly electric sound. Primitivism suggests that fans of Will Over Matter could like this as well. There are some really good tracks, but also generic filler here and there. Not sure where would be good example of best tracks of album, but some live material here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px10G7cBetQ

VIVENZA "Veriti plastici" LP
Rotorelief
A notch quieter/flowing side of Vivenza. Not that far from usual sound of Vivenza, just more humming quality to sound of machines. It is still very much dense layers of machine-sounds on top of eachothers, but less clatter and "percussive" mood. Nice texture being build by changing volume balances of layers. Short looping sounds coming and going, without losing the feel of constant flow of sound. Loops are not making percussive rhythm for entire song, merely fragments of bigger piece what keeps changing with pace that is at the same time slow, but fast enough to avoid almost any significant repetition. Very good!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLOZroXjDA

Andrew McIntosh

Made me play my copy of "Phenomenal Highways". There really isn't anyone else in the world I can compare to Will Over Matter, which may say more about my lack of keeping up than anything else. It's not like there aren't other projects using "pure" synth sounds as such, but WOM has a sound and style he's made his own. When I have tried to make a comparison to others, the best I could come up with was the occasional abstracted synth sounds Devo made as intro's to their songs. Will Over Matter is a project well worth keeping up with (and, thankfully, he isn't flooding the market).
Shikata ga nai.