PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Klaus Schulze, like Manuel Gottsching, could turn on the early charm at any moment. As an example, "Sequenzer (From 70 to 07)", from the 2007 album Kontinuum, is like walking back in time 35 or 40 years.  It's also why seeing them live wasn't a futile exercise.  They never stopped being great.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Running into old cassette comps on blogs continues to be a fun and rewarding pastime.  This is a great one.  Forget the track listing.  They all bring the goods.  Never heard of this label.

VARIOUS - ORGASMUS COMPILATION (SCHUTT UND ASCHE, CASSETTE C-90, 1987)

http://stahlfabrik.blogspot.com/2024/07/various-orgasmus-compilation-schutt-und.html
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

YELLOW GAS FLAMES "satanic hair dye" LP
Hospital Productions
Mix of kind of "euro industrial" things (like short repeating spoken loops, repeating longer documentary dialogues running on top of eachother) mixed with harsh noise blasting. Some distorted drum machine rhythms. When Connelly mentioned in some of the podcasts that working with Hospital is often kind of collaborative effort, that label has ideas how covers must be, perhaps even what release should be about... Not sure who came up with titles or slogan on back cover, but it has very very "Hospital vibe" there, hah.

NO GUARD tape
Cipher prod
I recall ad said that this very limited (was it 50) is something you need to buy or regret it later. Perhaps! Its very traditional PE/heavy electronics type of stuff from Australia, but neat production - at least on tape format - and what it loses on being very much "genre music", it wins by being very good at that! For fans of the style, very much recommended.

VIGILANTISM "Fetish of Death" CD
New Approach Records
Vigilantism continues his path toward more musical approach. Perhaps less musical than previous, but now louder vocals with clearly pronounced lyrics, icy cold synth tones, rhythmic noise elements. The more I listen, more I like it. First felt that could have been little more rugged production and vocals could have been less upfront in mix, but well, now that I am used to it, works just fine!

KJOSTAD "Weathering" 2xCD
Satatuhatta
I know it's pretty sucky to remind about that best Kjostad CD that is my favorite, and start to compare everything else with conclusion that this is not as good as that was. Well, Kjostad is still master in the fine detail and timbre of production. Not all sounds are amazing, but the tasty production and the overall feel is excellent and double CD worth of noise delivers!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Cranial Blast

V/A "A Contre-Temps" -Résilience compilation CD

This might be one the best contemporary black metal compilations of modern times! I cannot recommend this one enough and everyone featured on this CD comp. really delivers some really incredible material! Loads of really great riffs, epic melodic chords and you name it. This album truly feeds the hunger that I believe most black metallers are looking for! Every track is stellar!

FreakAnimalFinland

It is also CD only release. Length is too much for LP, perhaps too little for 2xLP, and CD works perfectly for this. Also notable for BM compilation is that its all new exclusive studio material. No cover songs, live recordings or some sort of leftovers. Some names you probably know, but would be surprised if people would be familiar with everybody. Resilience releases are probably easiest to get from nhfastore.net

I have been listening quite a lot of BM records lately. One reason been that pile of LPs on "to be listened" piles at my work has grown too big, and there is way more BM vinyl than noise related. A lot of recent noise 12" releases have been reissues and already own the original CD, so don't need all the reissues, has become almost surprising how little amount of great NEW recordings come on LP. Price of manufacturing and shipping combined to lack of distributors having real effect we have been expecting..?

Commander15

Hal Hutchinson - Cold Industrial Experience CD
Freak Animal

Listened to this album first time yesterday but had to replay it instantly because it so was so good. Moody and oppressive industrial ambience combined with tasteful amounts of synths and drum machines(?). Cold, mechanical impressions emanating from the industrial haze. At times the album reminds me of Pain Appendix's Toward Infinity tape and Vidöppna Sår by Sewer Election.

H.Ö.H. - s/t CD
Freak Animal

H.Ö.H. is an prince among the riff raff when it comes to weird and primitive noise. Wonderful, obscure and puzzling sounds from the inner realms of an old tape player found from abandoned farmhouse.  H.Ö.H. has really created its own sonical world and reality, where the "normal" laws of noise do not apply at all. Sounds that could be percieved as weak or lame in isolation are arranged here so that the end results could be even be described as symphonic at times! Everything is glued together by craftmanship and murky tape sound. Hauntological stuff that is hard to describe in words. 7/5 reissue.

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 17, 2024, 09:29:34 AMhas become almost surprising how little amount of great NEW recordings come on LP. Price of manufacturing and shipping combined to lack of distributors having real effect we have been expecting..?

I think the effects of inflation are being felt in general across every stage of the music product process, from artists/labels to the buyer as well. I know its affected my buying habits. Lucky to say I'm not struggling like many others, but even so, there's only so much money I can devote to music, and its a lot less than it was. I would usually prefer CDs, but in years past, I typically wouldn't have any issues shelling out cash for both CD and vinyl of things I really liked. Now, when it seems like the LOWEST you can get vinyl for is nearly $30 here in the US, I have to think very judiciously about what vinyl is worth that. But that's true in general no matter the format. I see the prices for some of those Hospital special editions sometimes and I wonder who in the world is buying them.

This could probably be its own topic, really. It'd be interesting to see if those on the production side of music have noticed a general decline in sales over the last few years.

ritualabuser

Quote from: BatteredStatesofEuphoria on July 17, 2024, 10:04:47 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 17, 2024, 09:29:34 AMhas become almost surprising how little amount of great NEW recordings come on LP. Price of manufacturing and shipping combined to lack of distributors having real effect we have been expecting..?

I think the effects of inflation are being felt in general across every stage of the music product process, from artists/labels to the buyer as well. I know its affected my buying habits. Lucky to say I'm not struggling like many others, but even so, there's only so much money I can devote to music, and its a lot less than it was. I would usually prefer CDs, but in years past, I typically wouldn't have any issues shelling out cash for both CD and vinyl of things I really liked. Now, when it seems like the LOWEST you can get vinyl for is nearly $30 here in the US, I have to think very judiciously about what vinyl is worth that. But that's true in general no matter the format. I see the prices for some of those Hospital special editions sometimes and I wonder who in the world is buying them.

This could probably be its own topic, really. It'd be interesting to see if those on the production side of music have noticed a general decline in sales over the last few years.

I can say that I definitely have noticed a decline in any sort of personal sales, and I'd say what I do sell of my projects is priced well below the norm. Granted, it's usually artist copies, but I'd say it generally affects anyone trying to sell right now, and labels moreso since they have to shoulder production costs etc. as well. The extortionate prices of shipping, especially internationally, are doing a great job of fucking everyone over as well. Almost $30 to ship a single dubbed tape to Norway.

SIEGSIEGSIEG

Deathprod – Treetop Drive

I cannot believe this was released in 1994!? I listened to a song (Treetop Drive 1) from this album on repeat from Spotify, when I stumbled upon it on a good playlist. And thought every time I heard the song that this was some quality post 2010s drone/dark ambient kind of sound. But finding out that the whole album was released so early is mindboggling. Can someone name bands that were definitely influenced by Deathprod or something? I refuse to believe this hasn't influenced some big names.

I searched the forums here and Deathprod has been named a few times but not much else to be found here.

Especially the song "Towboat" is like the quintessential drone song. I hear Puce Mary, I hear Prurient, I hear Abul Mogard. I would not believe if someone tried to convince me this album was released before the year 2000. Or even before 2010. It sounds like it could have been released this year. It's just so good and fresh sounding, just amazing.

No artist, album or song has made me feel this way in a long time, so I think it's worth sharing this amazement heh.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Gabriele Giuliani – Rinite Vasomotoria Cronica CD (Phage Tapes)

Here we have what I believe to be the first full-length album by Gabriele Giuliani under his own name.

A different sound palette is utilized than what is used commonly under the Dead Body Love moniker. Rather than a focus on dense texture, the sounds are all harsh but there is a wider palette of frequencies utilized.

There are a lot of "colorful" sounds if that makes sense. Gear isn't listed, but there must be some sort of synth utilized. Many layers of sound are stacked on top of each other and interweaving rapidly at any given moment for a complex tapestry. The style is definitely closer to the frantic Japanese style attack a la 90's analog Merzbow. Reminds me quite a bit of Oersted or Pinkream.

A very fun and active release showcasing yet another angle to Gabriele's technical abilities and skills. Enjoyed this quite a bit and it provided a nice contrast listening to this after the DBL Repugnance and Crossfire reissues.

Definitely has me in a mood for 90's Merzbow and now I might dig out some of those CDs next.

mag-maa

Caroliner Rainbow
12 albums playlist (link)

Fourth of the list going on at the moment. Three earlier played today from laptop speakers "on a background" which has been working well. There's no need to always blast the sound from the speakers or through the headphones. Crappy small speakers sometimes working well enough. Now, while having my "workbench" at the balcony, hearing all kind of sounds from outside mixed to this soup (a lot of seagulls, sometimes very nervous... or just joyful..ly restless). the music of Caroliner is veeery strange psychedelic weirdness, sometimes also with harsh(er) noise elements. Very authentic music, twisting the brains to new yet unknown forms. kind of heavy, but not heavy rock type of heavy; more likely heavy psychedelic. This stuff was probably presented in Bananafish already in the 90's... nowadays I am not sure if people really listen this band anymore. I often forget their existence, but then sometimes it pops up to the present time again, and it's a cool thing to dive in (or to just feel these strange vibrations).
No idea if the strong harsh noise fans on this forum would actually like to listen this type of music. Would be interesting to hear comments anyway.

FreakAnimalFinland

Anenzephalia "Programmatika" CD
Hospital productions
As a sidenote: In couple of weeks, in Turku, Finland, there will be Anenzephalia live gig. If anyone thinking to come, I would think now its time to book tickets! Other names will be there. ACL, Pain Nail, Pain Appendix, and many more for two days!  Its great venue, nice PA, etc. Worth to visit is one has some sort of option to come.

Just in time, got this Anenzephalia CD, reissue of tape on Hospital that comples stuff between 1989-2006 and I feel it can be rated simply as "album". Less vocals, not so much of the classic hit song type material he plays live, but just unique Anenzephalia sound, and certainly a must have CD!

Once in a while I think about what bands I would "fly to watch". Anenzephalia is one of those. Can't really explain what exactly appeals to me, but it just does. No matter how good bands are, some of them are still not something you'd go to see other side of continent. Some are. Its curious to think what exactly are the qualities that makes one travel further for artist? Besides conditions that you simply have to.

The Haters / La Cyanescence -split tape
Impulsy Stetoskopy
Was listening to WCN podcast afterblast with The Rita and he mentioned The Haters as one of names that are the real deal noise, kind of... ehm.. "the future of noise", which is pretty nice way to say it and not consider it as mere ancient history of noise. Man has a point in the interview. Very much recommended to check out. He also mentioned nobody really talks about The Haters anymore. It is sort of debatable issue, since you could ask where is the noise discussion in general, and even if there is, vast majority of noise artists are not stirring discussion.
Even if I am most definitely fan of The Haters, it may be also healthy notion that we discuss of something more recent, and not always about the established cult names? Or perhaps, even healthier notion is that we can discuss both!
This fairly "new" The Haters tape, I had for quite some time, probably several years, but finally this week I cut holes to the label to make it playable. It is very good tape and makes me want to check out other newer The Haters material!
The Rita comment about The Haters not getting enough credit these days made me think that - indeed, not so many "what's your top-5" questions on WCN had The Haters on it. However, Noisextra has had GX in episodes, plus mentioned many times. Back in the day, when I made my "top-10 essential noise releases" -list, there was The Haters in it. And if asked now, there would still be!

Earth O.D.

The "Programmatika" CD is a must buy indeed, I have tremendous anticipation for the Anenzephalia live event.

Penon

ANTIchildLEAGUE - Father's Tarantella
ACL's The Father (Hagshadow Hag 01, 2008, CD) is one of the earliest PE records I have heard in my music journey. Unfortunately she didn't / doesn't release studio material that often, especially solo stuff, and maybe that is why this album is so packed with basically every PE feature you can think of - she had to get it out in a concentrated way! When one asks "recommend classic PE record", the answer usually includes usual suspects like Genocide Organ, Con-Dom, The Grey Wolves and Whitehouse, which is fair, but if you ask me for one and only one album as an intro to PE, I think The Father could be the best one as it has it all - distortion, loops, synth bass, suble rhythm, modulated textures, and vocal agression - all packed in the 45 minutes CD.
Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Noise Experiments / Industrial Electronics:
Youtube - Bandcamp - Instagram

FreakAnimalFinland

K.Mizutani "Cemetery" LP
Ferns
Really nice re-issue of old Mizutani tape! Physical, very hands-on approach, you'll literally have moments like someone sawing wood etc, hah.. Perhaps acquired taste noise, but it is really unique in what it is.

Linekraft / Prurient "政府が神の社を支配する" ( Government Controlled Shrines) 2x7"+5"
Hospital Productions
It ain't cheap or easy. In a way it is odd in times when most of people prefer qualities such as cheap, easy, convenient... and Hospital has been focusing more on odd formats, odd packaging, etc..  I am sure many will think what the hell is double 7" and 5" inside cloth bag with odd sized inserts. Hard to say would 25 minute CD work the same way. When listening this one, I have not been listening it all the way through, as an album, but instead, I listened each side probably 3-4 times before flipping side. It is really good stuff, and I am sure it would get listened more if it was 12" or CD, but like this, it has some benefits. Like focused and repeated listening of each song, not just letting it flow through.