a gap in noise: asshole/snail dilemma

Started by Keretja, June 14, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keretja

Asshole / Snail Dilemma by Runzelstirn & Gurgelstöck

Is there anyone else who sounds like them? Particularly this album is very interesting because of its composition and sound... I feel like there is a huge gap in noise that involves the types of ideas this album and this project incorporates, like the idea of 'sensation for the sake of it', or taking the idea of sensation 'to the end'.

Also, are there any albums that are like this? I think this project is criminally underappreciated.

andy vomit

i don't know nearly enough R&G or eb.er material, but the few releases i have are absolutely stellar.  there's no one else like eb.er... 

my personal favorite (out of the material i know-- again, there's way more that i haven't heard) is "666: music for francis bacon" ... it was a 3" CD-r on destructive industries that came out a few years back, but it looks like you can get it on discogs pretty cheap: http://www.discogs.com/Rudolf-Eber-666-Music-For-Francis-Bacon/release/1890934

it's an incredibly tense, uncomfortable listen.  the whole thing sounds like the build up that occurs in horror movie music, right before the "jump" ...  but eb.er's stuff never gets to the jump, it just keeps you on the edge the whole time...  very unsettling..

thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

WCrap

no, there is nothing else like Eb.er/R&G!

the '666' is somehow special because it is the only Eb.er/R&G which uses samples exclusively. something he don't usually does at all.

andy vomit

i'd love to see more performance videos..  there's some stuff on youtube, but it's all pretty recent and seems relatively "tame" compared to other performances i've heard about...  was it "asshole/snail dilemma" where he was shoving stuff up the girls ass?  i know she's screaming on the record, but i don't know what/if anything's actually being done to her.. 

anyone who's got a head up on some videos, i'd much appreciate hearing about 'em.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Keretja

Quote from: andy vomit on June 14, 2013, 07:55:03 PM
was it "asshole/snail dilemma" where he was shoving stuff up the girls ass?  i know she's screaming on the record, but i don't know what/if anything's actually being done to her..
I've heard the same things when getting the album but it may be just a rumor. Doesn't matter much though, it still sounds very genuine (!) if you ask me.

bitewerksMTB

All that screaming is annoying. After awhile, it just gets tedious. Just sounds like a woman screaming for the hell of it. If there were less of it, it'd be better.

HongKongGoolagong

I find it very easy to admire R&G and Schimpfluch Gruppe's extraordinary output in general but feel like listening to just about anything else in the house - I think even Tony 'The Cat' Martin era Black Sabbath has got more plays here than the music/noise/sound/whatever the fuck it is from these undoubtedly talented and unique people.

tinnitustimulus

I believe this gap you see is actually performance art more so than to be considered exactly noise. It seems more of like a documentation of an event where the implied action as the end to the meaning. Viennese Actionists are one of the prime examples of this, though more visual of what RG does soundwise.

http://www.ubu.com/film/kren_leda.html

http://www.ubu.com/film/nitsch_action.html

I have to be in the right mood for that stuff. I wouldn't say RHY Yau is quite as a libertine, but some pretty wild fluid flowing oriface cut up action, though a lot more harsh than typical R+G cutups.

Potier

I don't think this project is underappreciated at all - he just operates on such a broad spectrum & most of the material does not necessarily fall into the "average noise categories". Sound is just a small portion of the what R&G is about, I guess...

Had my first longer exposure to the project & the group & friends that surround it during Extreme Rituals last year as well...

A great festival that really managed to showcase the performance-art aspect of noise - or basically performance as a form of noise if you will.

Eb.er seems like a really quiet guy...at least when among the crowd.

There were DVDs for sale at the carnival. Tochnit Aleph put those out:

RUNZELSTIRN & GURGELSTOCK - 'FÜR SAU.RE MILCH UND DIRNDL' DVDR
DVD of the infamous 'For sour milk and dirndl' action performed by Rudolf Eb.er, Doreen Kutzke, and Daniel Löwenbrück, at Die Sibirische Zelle, Berlin, June 4th 2004. Edition of 50 numbered copies.

RUNZELSTIRN & GURGELSTOCK - 'ERBRECHSPIEL FÜR DREI MÄDCHEN' DVDR
DVD of the infamous 'Vomitplay for 3 girls' action performed by Rudolf Eb.er, Hiroko, Saki, and Mai Sau, at Otoya, Kobe, Japan, July 18th 2003. Edition of 50 numbered copies.

Most of the group's film material from the past was made accessible in a small movie theater for people to watch during the event.
Hard to find any of it on the web, that is true.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Potier on June 15, 2013, 11:51:22 AM
I don't think this project is underappreciated at all - he just operates on such a broad spectrum & most of the material does not necessarily fall into the "average noise categories".

Yeah. One can check out the level of prices that are being asked. You can check the type of festivals or tours he does. 2012 appears to be around Europe and Japan. A lot of people appreciate project around the world. However, I think what said above is party what happens. Depending what angle of looks from, some projects operate in other side of genre. Cross over of "digipak power electronics" may be surprisingly small among scene of harsh tape noise. And while in old days R&G would be released and distributed by all sorts of labels that associate to industrial/noise network (Self Abuse, Pure/RRR, Old Europa Cafe, Spite).. it appears like these days when you make release on label that doesn't necessarily trade or advertise beyond their own circle, it may appear as if band is less appreciated as name doesn't appear on every catalogue or playlist of labels/people you normally follow?

I think asking what sounds "similar" of course would be difficult, as there is none, but then question would be how similar? Not long ago I was listening to Raionbashi / Krube split LP, and while there is absolutely significant differences between Raionbashi and R&G, in some ways certain elements enables to lump them together. But even more so, with Krube, I felt that this guy, having that small output (2 tapes besides this?) and even photos reminding of what R&G could do - that all this animal sounds/vocals noises/sound cut ups thing is certainly something to throw into similar category.
Add specific works of D.Philips who often uses body noises, bestial sounds, abrupt edits and disturbing mix of compositional techniques of contemporary art music into something what still could be loosely filed under this "our noise", haha... Latest LP of Dave was absolute masterpiece!

More similar artists? I guess its up to defining what qualities one hopes to hear. One would assume that this requires someone with more experience in all sorts of audio works that goes closer to performance/art. Lets say Henri Chopin kind of works. Obscure body noises, breathing techniques etc.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 17, 2013, 09:52:57 AM
More similar artists? I guess its up to defining what qualities one hopes to hear. One would assume that this requires someone with more experience in all sorts of audio works that goes closer to performance/art. Lets say Henri Chopin kind of works. Obscure body noises, breathing techniques etc.

I could add (not all, but several releases) Polish defunct already project: GENETIC TRANSMISSION. I think that R.H.Y. YAU did simillar things ... and Otto MUEHL :)