Straightening LPs

Started by Ashmonger, June 02, 2011, 06:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashmonger

At the Silken Tofu Fest I bought the Sick Seed/Shift LP. When I first played it, Shift side played fine, start of the Sick Seed side sounded very strange. Indeed, the needle was jumping. With more weight put on it, it plays fine, but I'm not certain whether that's healthy for the vinyl in the long run. So, I guess there's a small bump in the vinyl, but the strange thing is that I can't even see it.
I've put it under a heap of other LPs for about a week, but that didn't work. So, any tips, are there any ways to straighten an LP?

I've only had it once before, but that was with a second hand LP and it was a big bump, so I brought it back to the store and got another vinyl in the place.
With this one it's a bit more fucked, because it's new and I just got it. Also made sure that it was lying flat in the trunk of my car with nothing underneath and only a tape on top of it...

P-K

had it with a Low Res 12" : rather sharp bend & record skipped........heated it up with a hairdryer to get it soft & put it on flat surface & let it cool down.....that 12" plays perfect now. while heating it the bend just popped out lol

only recommended as very last resource :-D .....the 12" was thinner than the s&ss lp ....

ConcreteMascara

I bought 3 different 7"s and one 12" that were all warped/bumpy, some more than others. It can really fuck up the sound but on the one Ash Pool record it sounds pretty weird/psychedelic so not a total loss...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

people sometimes complain, but I have personally never seen Gz manufactured record that was warped or with bumps. I don't say it can't be so, but it appears the be very rare case.
There are tricks such as:
heat owen to very moderate temperature and place vinyl between two heavy glasses. I mean straight glass a'la window. Too long or too hot will fuck it up. But been told this is quite professional method with pretty good success.

Normally, if there is slight up & down movement, the good turntable will play it without any problems. If your needle starts skipping and jumping, it might be time to check out needle weights and such. Turntable is full of adjustments which should be set up correct it to work like wanted.

With current turntable, I have never had skipping or jumping. Even with slightly warped records.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Henrik III

In the past I have managed to ruin some warped, unplayable vinyls by overheating. In one, and very fortunate, case I managed to salvage a record by exposing it to the direct sunlight on a straight plate with a weight on the center. Probably a hair dryer would have done the trick also but for a certain reason don't have such thing.

Ashmonger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 02, 2011, 10:13:19 PM
people sometimes complain, but I have personally never seen Gz manufactured record that was warped or with bumps. I don't say it can't be so, but it appears the be very rare case.
Yeah, it's strange, I can't see a bump at all, but it's only on the outer centimeter or so and the needle jumps exactly everytime the vinyl has gone round, so that made me think it would be a bump. And indeed I do have some vinyls where the needle just goes up and down without a problem.
On the other hand, I've got my record player for 10 years and it might indeed be the case that I need to check whether it still fully works as it should be. I do change the needle every 1 - 2 years though.

On the subject of heightening the weight: this works as well, but I heard it's not good for the vinyls itself, and that sounds logical to me, but just for certainty, does anyone have any experience with vinyls getting damaged by too high needle weight?

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 02, 2011, 10:13:19 PM

Normally, if there is slight up & down movement, the good turntable will play it without any problems. If your needle starts skipping and jumping, it might be time to check out needle weights and such. Turntable is full of adjustments which should be set up correct it to work like wanted.

My needle doesn't skip but instead the sound itself sort of wobbles up and down. Like on the previously mentioned Ash Pool 7" the a-side guitars sound like they were recorded to tape but the tape player kept speeding up and then slowing down and speeding up, etc. I guess I'll have to test out the glass or hair dryer method of straightening.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Zeno Marx

Too much weight wears both the vinyl and the stylus.  You don't want either of those consequences (unless you really don't care about either of them).  Even if your table is properly balanced and the counter-weight is correctly set, some warps are so sharp that you can't avoid skipping and bouncing.  It's only happened to me a couple times, and when it has, if I liked the music enough, I found another copy of the record and hoped it wasn't also fucked up to such a degree.  Sharp warps are the worst kind.  Very isolated area that is problematic.  Difficult to remedy with any consistency.  One will work out fine, and five will get ruined in the process.

GZ was never known for warping, but they are the kings of non-fill/minuscule bubbles that cause an extraordinary amount of crackling and popping.  It's particularly terrible with their opaque colors and white vinyl.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 03, 2011, 04:15:25 AM
GZ was never known for warping, but they are the kings of non-fill/minuscule bubbles that cause an extraordinary amount of crackling and popping.  It's particularly terrible with their opaque colors and white vinyl.

??? I have never seen or heard about this. I see it all the time on Master Media pressed vinyl (germany). There is plenty of that. And too many times out-of-central pressings too. A lot of metal gets done there.

There is some occult mysteries with the turntable. I used to have Technics DJ turntable, and I had couple vinyl, which had lock groove if I listened with that. No amount of needle weight would get through them. Changing any setting or changing needle made no difference.
IF I listened same album with ANY one turntable, it would play perfect. This issue was shown and tested with experienced vinyl fetishist friends. And nobody could believe it. There appeared to be no explanation why this simply system as turntable is, would have such a weird quality. Vinyl show nothing, and plays perfect with everything else. I recall it was old Rotting Christ 12", so not talking about some new shabbily done pressings, but early 90's.
I sold the turntable since I got irritated. Now I operate with Pro-Ject turntable, which requires like 3 times less needleweight that the common DJ turntables, and never skips, bounces, jumps, etc..  One would need to check out the needle & turntable settings what is accurate weight. For some it is more and for some it is less.

QuoteTonearm:
Mass Adjustment
Be sure your tonearm has adjustable tracking weight. Arms that lack an adjustable counterweight are built only for a single model of cartridge and may cause big tracking problems. To adjust tracking weight, first calibrate the mass to zero. Dial the counterweight away from the pivot point until the tonearm floats perfectly level, with the stylus at the level of the record's playing surface. Hold the counterweight still and set the dial at zero. Then, spin the counterweight in until the dial reads the mass specified by the cartridge manufacturer. Normal audiophile cartridges typically track at 1.0 to 1.5 grams; club DJ cartridges can range from 3 to 5 grams; and 78 rpm styli should be weighted at 3 grams. But these are general guidelines. Follow the manufacturer's specification. Running the tracking weight too light can be as bad, or worse, than running it too heavy.

About this Ashpool... you have Yellow Tears 12"? When I first listened it, I thought is this going to break my turntable? I mean, the physical shaking of tonearm is brutal. To me, it simply looks like the groove is so strong, it makes whole tonearm shake franticly. If it would be badly calibrated turntable, possibly would just skip in moment when groove takes wild turns...? Really good record anyways!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

I've heard of this problem with the Yellow Tears 12" before (Don't Cry right) and my copy plays fine with nothing unusual about it at all. Again in regards to the Ash Pool 7" when I first heard it I thought the sound was intentional and very cool/unusual so asked Dom directly how he got a such a weird guitar effect. He was like what are you talking about? I was going to bring it in just to show him but never got around to it.

I used to have a Pro-Ject turntable but it's been out of commission for 6-8 years?! I had to send it for repairs twice because there was a bad connection between the arm and the stylus and then some other problem later. After the warranty ran out I didn't want to keep paying for ineffective repairs. Always thought they were seriously eye-pleasing though

[death|trigger|impulse]