THOMAS DIMUZIO

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 03, 2017, 01:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I could basically repeat the same as I have said in several topics / reviews. My general distaste for artists working just using their own name. Of course, acceptable, but I generally always prioritize artist names/bands.

Thomas Dimuzio is one of such cases. My main interest is that it had releases on RRR and it's connections to Due Process.  Due Process has very high variation on what they do, but best ones SLAY. Line up being often all or some of these: Jason Lescalleet, John Wiggins, Ron Lessard and Thomas Dimuzio. Lescalleet should be mentioned here and there on this forum. Ron, known as RRRon and Emil Beaulieau, should not need much introduction. Wiggins I never got into that much. Dimuzio a bit more, but my interest is most of all to his early works.

Discogs info says:
Thomas Dimuzio is one of unsung artistic figures whose influence and abilities have substantially outstripped his visibility. Composer, multi-instrumentalist, sound designer, experimental electronic musician and recording studio owner, Dimuzio has been busy doing his thing(s) since the late 1980s with critically acclaimed releases issued by the legendary house of audio misanthropy, RRRecords and former Henry Cow drummer (and current Dimuzio collaborator) Chris Cutler's well-regarded ReR Megacorp label. Equally fluent in a nearly every contemporary post-techno style, Dimuzio's work clearly demonstrates an insider's knowledge of older experimental musical forms such as musique concréte and electroacoustic, as well as contemporary ambient-industrial and noise. Thomas Dimuzio has performed and recorded as a solo artist and collaboratively with Fred Frith, David Lee Myers, Dan Burke, Due Process, 5UU'S, Matmos, Wobbly, and many others.

Today went through "Markoff Process" CD. It's his first CD release. There was couple tapes and LP made in late 80's. This CD came out in 1994, but material consist selection of live recordings from 1990-1991. I recall talking with RRRon who said that his main reason to put out Dimuzio stuff was that he was member of Due Process and someone he wanted to support. That material wasn't as noisy and rough as he'd personally prefer. As said, I have no followed what all has happened during years, but it seems the "usual". Slow pace additions to discography, and within last 5 years or so, merely file or CDR releases?!

In a way, I can appreciate the artist who just keep going, from decade to another, putting out rather good quality releases, but hardly being making big fuzz of what he does. Facebook updated last time 2012, and barely anyone follows it anyways. If trying to get some preview samples of releases from youtube, there doesn't seem to be much. Instead of "social media", his personal website is good to visit! It's updated as well as has actual content!
http://www.thomasdimuzio.com/

You can listen many of the sample there. Very recommended is to croll down the mp3 section, and check his works from 80's and early 90's, scroll up the same list to recent years and make conclusion that while it is not "the same", it's surprisingly timeless material! New one, could be old. Old ones could be new.

Perhaps the most crucial differences are not the composition or aesthetics of the work. Mostly it seems like old material had slightly more physical or lo-fi sound sources. Always technically "ahead its time" in some ways.

For example Markoff Process CD live clips, they are never noise and barly even noisy, but certain amount of dirt and rawness in sound material, occasional distortion and clouds of grain surround the technologically advanced compositions.

His work flows nicely among many many American artists at the time. If you like to listen to Illusion of Safety, Jason Lascalleet, Arcane Device, and so on.... then There is no reason to not pick up some of his work. Many things available cheap and easy due large pressings!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

I've found that I enjoy him most when he is a collaborator in some respect.  Producer, mastering, + another artist, etc.  Sonicism is the solo album I think of when I think of Dimuzio, but he's been a lot more active since 2000 or so.  I haven't heard any of that work besides the album with Voice of Eye, which is very good.  I don't have any great reason to feel or say this, but I trust his ear.  I would imagine him to be a great collaborator, which is a special talent in itself.  It tells me he is a good listener, which is also why he could be a top option if you were looking for someone to produce or master a project.

Some people...most people...shit on the idea of someone needing collaboration and an another impetus to be at their best.  I understand that logic, because it is natural to associate creation with step 1.  I'm thinking of Phil Lesh here.  One of the greatest bass/guitar players I've ever heard, and he only wrote a handful of songs.  He needed that interaction to shine brightest.  You point him in a direction, and his ideas explode into the most fantastic of spaces.  He made great art even greater.  That's a unique, uncommon ability and expertise.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

I only have the Louden CD that compiles tracks from late 80's tape releases. Easy to find and a great listen. Has a bit of a 'soundtrack feeling' to it..

Johann

Someone want to recommend a place to start with Due Process? I see most of it is pretty affordable and have long been meaning to check some stuff out.

I've only heard his stuff with Hammer (who I really enjoy) once which I found an enjoyable enough listen but didn't investigate further, i should reinvestigate...that is if the iPod it was on works.

Theodore

Quote from: Johann on June 04, 2017, 04:49:03 AM
Someone want to recommend a place to start with Due Process? I see most of it is pretty affordable and have long been meaning to check some stuff out.

Have not listened much but RRRadio 31-40 is good. Combine 1-18 it's not.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Bloated Slutbag

Sonicsim, despite the title, was the first to really catch my ear. More the highly technical "collage" than mystical alchemical process. If you will. Which could as much be owing to the presentation as to the work on offer. Stone cold talent. Both in the best of meanings and worst.

I agree with the comments submitted regarding his collaborations. And fortunately there is quite a lot of work along the lines-

Collaboration-wise, I've particularly like the things he's done with Chris Cutler. Quake a very physical working through of various angular / seismic disturbances, Dust revelling in the deeper reverberations from said disturbances.

Also, Dimmer, with Joseph Hammer. Almost ambient in their dense gritted explorations, but always lurching, warbling, burbling unto the next grey-tinged cloud, a full and saturating sonisicm if ever there was. I only recently notice that a third album was released a good some years back, think I'll need to be acquiring this-
https://thomasdimuzio.bandcamp.com/album/ascent

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Yes, and Dimmer.  Very satisfying that some of these LAFMS cats have gone into ambient.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.