cd/lp/tape etc. REVIEWS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 03, 2009, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scat-O-Logy

I'm always very hesitant to publish my reviews but I wanted to share these two with you since I think they came up quite nice. The tone is quite doting but that's because these are two of my favorite releases of the year.

Grunt - World Draped In A Camouflage (Freak Animal Records - none)
I have never been much of a Grunt fan even though I have listened some of his works and mostly all I have heard have always been very strong. For some strange reason I have always been more drawn by the less known acts and therefore I have never even given a chance for Grunt to impress me. But when I checked his new live performances, I knew there's something big to be released soon and it didn't take too long for Freak Animal to announce their new releases including one Grunt tape which compiles two of those very successful live performances and this massive full-length album consisting of ten amazingly well composed tracks which creates one of the most impressing wholeness I have (EVER!) heard in this field of music. The sound is very clear and sharp which goes perfectly with amazing multi-layered complex compositions of the album. Decayed tape manipulations, crude loops, metals, well crafted synth madness and even some classical instruments are used which brings us to the vocal work that weren't only amazing, it was superior and gave the album whole another dimension. Mikko's goal was, should I say, very ambitious but his (nearly?) two decades of experience allowed him to put this impossible vision together and he couldn't have succeeded more perfectly.

IRM - Anthology (Autarkeia - acd 065)
So what we have here is a beautifully presented compilation box consisting of two golden metalisation discs full of golden memories. Memories which starts from present (2008) when IRM was already well known and appreciated act on industrial music field and slowly leads us back to the time (1998) when this mighty unit were just like any other beginner. But what made them stand out then is what makes them what they are now, thanks to their (artistic) intelligence and talent.
Then it's time to move from memory to another and as we change the disc, the memories are much more (a)live. These memories comes from various parts of the world but mainly from Sweden, the home of this magnificent unit. You don't need to listen these recordings for too long to figure out that IRM crew have literally put their heart and soul into their performance and I only wish I would have been able to witness that trough my eyes. Fortunately I have this disc which documents those beloved memories and even though I'm barely able to comprehend my amazement, I'm able to figure every little detail from the recording and I can honestly say that the sound quality couldn't be any better, vocals are filled with emotion and electronics/instruments are in perfect balance together. This is truly essential release in every sense. From packaging to sounds.

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Torturing Nurse - Hai ShangNurse

Review of album and download here

redvenicerecords

NOISE_MUZAK_REVIEW - Enbilulugugal & Gnashing of Teeth - Rites ov The Blakk Goat

Review Here

Jaakko V.

Asio Otus - Taivaallisia Tulia (SicSic)

I was given this tape yesterday by a friend, whose project this is, and I got to say I was pleasantly surprised. This is total freak out UFO music. Two guys utilising all kind of acoustic and cheap and old electronic instruments, various objects, toys, field recordings etc. with the result being a weird combination of drones, rhythms, melodies, crackles, pops and ambiences. Very hypnotic at parts, and kind of goofy, humorous and weird all the time. It is very hard to compare this to any other band or to describe the sound itself, as a lot of different ideas are emplyed. Sometimes it reminds me of Zoviet France even, at other times I guess one could compare this to some of that 'freak folk' stuff coming from Finland, Kemialliset Ystävät, etc. Maybe even some NWW? Anyhow, the thing is that these guys are not influenced by that stuff really - they just somehow ended up in a little bit similar sort of terrains. They just decided to go without restrictions and this is the result. No overdubbing or excessive post-production & layering involved, it's mostly just real time playing with a nice, organic, hands-on feeling to it.

There is an amusing concept running through all of this. In the '70s there were made a lot of these UFO sighting at this rural Pudasjärvi area in Finland. Many of them were witnessed and reported by this local man, a taxi entrepreneur by profession. He wrote some books about it and so on... So all of the tracks are related to those incidents. But it doesn't stop there, when making this tape these guys actually travelled to the area, they seeked out the man, met him, interviewed him etc. The tape starts with an excerpt from this interview, the guy is talking about this weird shit. They also did their research in the library, at the archives, examining a lot of old microfilms etc. reading about the matter, UFO reports etc! I'd say this is a little like an anthropological case study or something, hehe. I'd say it works pretty well, as it's all the time humorous but with a straight and serious face. No irony involved. The title of the tape stands for Heavenly Fires.

There is an interview with them at Foxy Digitalis, if interested. The name of the group means a long eared owl, although it also has a double meaning in Finnish language. That explains the absurd owl masks they wear...

I guess this is definitely not for everyone, more like something one either loves or hates. I really enjoy this.

http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/?p=31895

http://www.discogs.com/Asio-Otus-Taivaallisia-Tulia/release/3442436

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Torturing Nurse, RedSK, Jason Collveli - A Bonding Experience

REVIEW HERE

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Boyd RICE / NON - Back To Mono (Mute 2012) CD + LP

Mixed feelings... I will say more... the worst album in his discography, unfortunately. Neverending loops, flat sounds. It seems that he hadn't idea how to create music / noise... back to his "Black Album"? Maybe, but he failed... The last two tracks are something like piece of shit... The next "falling star"...

Esplendor Geométrico ‎– Desarrollos Geométricos (Geometrik 2011) LP

Good album but only good. Nothing more. Old concepts in next configuration. Only for hard enthusiasts.

Lunar Abyss Deus Organum ‎– Atanimonni Aitnatsbus (Substantia Innominata 2012) 10" EP

Interesting. Ritual drone ambient in its the best form. Highly recommendations!

Edgar Varèse ‎– Early Works (Doxy Music 2011) LP

Real classic of noise music. Especially "Intégrales" and "Ionisation". Highly recommendations!

Sunn O))) Meets Nurse With Wound ‎– The Iron Soul Of Nothing (Ideologic Organ 2011) 2 x LP

I expected much more.... but it is OK, nothing more. Sometimes interesting, I would collect one LP, not double album.

sMTvUZ ‎– Best Of (6de Kolonne 2012) LP

I don't know this project but music is very good. Interesting experimental postindustrial. Rich in found sounds, cut-ups and organic tape collages.

Hiernaermaels ‎– Dwalend In Schaduwtijd (6de Kolonne 2012) LP

As above.

Kallabris ‎– Shanghai (Genesungswerk 2001) 12" EP

Very interesting. I love CRANIOCLAST and KALLABRIS. I think that anyone knows this act and how can be good this music... Why there is so little about these projects?

Lt. Caramel / Kommissar Hjuler Und Frau (Domestic Violence Recordings 2009) LP

Highly recommendations!

Vibracathedral Orchestra ‎– Vibracathedral Orchestra (VHF 2004) 2 x LP + DVD

I love this band very much though they play still the same :)

DBL

Cloama - At the Mountains of Paranoia [power electronics / ambient / drone]
CD, 2012, Turgid Animal Records

DEATHSTENCH - Rites of a Dead Moon [dark ambient / power electronics / black metal]
3" CDR, 2012, Black Goat Records

Unclean - Deranged [power electronics]
Tape, 2012, Untergeschoss

redvenicerecords

TheGerogerigegege - Yellow Trash Bazooka

Review Here

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Records - Cthulhu detonator - Infernal Detonator

Review Here

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Video Nasty - Inferior Tools For These Infernal Times

REVIEW HERE

redvenicerecords

My Failure - Failure (Album) / RE:NAMELESS (EP)

BOTH REVIEWED HERE

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Infera Trilogia - Ass-OlO

REVIEW AND DOWNLOAD HERE

mdtdeath

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Cavernous Body - Demo I

REVIEW HERE

redvenicerecords

Noise Muzak Review - Torturing Nurse / Ana Venus‎– Split

REVIEW HERE