cd/lp/tape etc. REVIEWS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 03, 2009, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

MB/MAOR APPELBAUM, Neurotransmitters cdr
R.O.N.F. Records, 2009
Say what you will about the flood of new MB recordings, this release, at least, is a very satisfying example of how to do Ambient Noise. Two pieces of echoed distortion, synth and effects that have that lovely, chasmic, distant yet concrete sound I enjoy. It's musty and gritty while being echoed and slightly cosmic at the same time. It's extremely reminiscent of Astro, actually. There's enough lower fidelity grit on these recordings to soothe me from fretting about any too-cold, too-digital sound that would ruin, for me, the experience of listening to MB. In fact, this album turned out to be a lot better than I admit I was anticipating. While it doesn't come into the "so great I need to hear it only occasionally" department, it is good enough to withstand repeated listens without grating or getting boring. But there was always a certain mind space when digging MB (I have to admit my complete ignorance of Appelbaum's output, so I can't compare) which doesn't always compare when listening to other recordings.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

SINK "the process" LP/CD
Rusty Crowbar / Kult of Nihilow / Kaos Kontrol
CD version has been out for long time, and I have it, but for reason or another never listened it. I guess main reason is, that it is just somewhere so deep in piles of cd's, that anytime looking for things to put on stereos, it just isn't the first thing your hand will reach. But when LP came out just now, and carried this slab of vinyl home, it was first thing I put on stereos. And I have to say, that I must regret not listening the CD earlier. We're talking about something exceptional. Could this be about first 100% successful results of crossover of ambient/experimental/drone/sludge?  All the time you hear the most boring drone-doom bands, who can't reach anything within context of music, but neither have any real talent within experimental sound. Sad examples of metal watered down or experimentation being clumsy and artificial. Sink is nothing like this. I guess it was mistake to talk about "metal" here in first place, since there isn't any. What might might make some to do the reference, is the use of electric guitars, bass and drums in some songs. Opening piece "Weakness (The Process)" is like religious mass performed with massiverly reverbed echoing slow drums, droning guitars playing hardly any riffs, but floating around like the feedback guitars of Godflesh or such. Combined with vocals what are between monk choirs and simply non stop deep vocal drone. It lacks pretty much any musical element you can link to rock/punk/metal. Advantage of this, compared to more "traditional drone", is that material actually goes somewhere. It is based on conventional instruments, but it is purely experimental sound.
2nd track Ascension is perhaps even more obscure. Distorted guitars are pretty much abandoned and deep percussive rhythm created with stead beat of drum, acoustic guitar and layers of waving electronics and drones and howling voices create music unlike ever heard. Last and shortest on B-side "Deserted", goes down to dusty distant coarse drones, echoing subtle harmonies and overall dreamy atmosphere.
On 2nd side, "Receiving Silence" starts with audio collages of machines, deepest and bassiest electric singnals, disturbingly high synth noise, possibly reserved sounds of trains. "Resignation" goes to more ethereal soundscapes, not far from something you could expect to be on Drone Records. Simply very pleasant droning harmic sounds, which most likely is processed guitars. "Borderzone" goes down to more Cold Meat type of deep and colossal pitch black dark ambient. Perfectly drifting piece is not dominated by cheesy keyboards or such. It is simply phenomenal piece in its style, with slow deep waves, sinister distant choirs, in and out going sounds. And it naturally progresses into last final track "The Silence", which blends in the dark ambient into perfect closure reminding of beginning of album. Now sound is distant but heavy. Drums echo far far away, vocals are like monks in cathedral, instruments saturate into echo and droning feedback. You can hardly talk of "riffs", but song is formed out of few slow chords what makes it perfect.
So what exactly this is? Due little amount of "music" (if you want to call it that), this album is pretty unlikely to surface to many noise/experimental distros or hands of listeners, even if it should! With the little music it has, it might be too abstract for those who expect some heavy sludge-doom. Sink simply goes outside the genres to create something very unique, which is a miracle in days of failed crossovers and in other hand genre conscious products. I should have the CD listed in distro, for LP you may need to approach some others. I urge not to make same mistake as I did, just give it a chance and grab something what could potentially be the one of the cult recordings of our times as soon as dust settles and all the lame garbage that was now popular in related genres is being valued as they deserve.. heh..  
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Henrik III

Even if I think "The Process" is a very good and unique record, I must say that it was a bit of a let down after witnessing some really good gigs from the band - too bad they play live so rarely. But in any case, thumbs up and recommendations!

FreakAnimalFinland

Well, there is next LP coming very soon, with possibly going further? I think the very early shows I saw them, it seemed still pretty much this "new school sludge", but with changes in line-up, new drummer, more originality, more everything and band is indeed going much further than many and evolving over genrelines.
Of course the live gigs with intense sound pressure, might be heavier and noisier than home listening, but I think that is benefit of group that they work (for me) on both realms.

heretogo

Grunt - Petturien rooli (Freak Animal, cd)

Nine songs about war, prisoner camps, racial hatred, patriotism and aggression towards traitors. Set in WWII, more specifically in eastern Karelia, occupied by Finland in 1941-44. Lyrics deal with fierce cruelty, accepting it with no alternative, disgust towards the bolsheviks & their collaborators and the decaying stench of bodies in concentration camps holding the Russians and "suspicious" Finns. Pretty traditional PE themes, I guess, death and nationalism.
The songs themselves are largely crafted from fairly short loops, giving them a pretty compact and tight feeling. The sound material itself seems to be quite varied and complex but it's broken into pieces and pushed into serving the overall feel of the tracks. And there lies simultaneously the great strength and weakness of this album. On one hand the tracks are strong and there is no redundant filler in them. And on the other hand they lack a bit of "air" or spontaneity. It feels very composed, but composed only in the short time scales. I would prefer a more "live" approach or at least development of themes on a grander scale. Somehow the structure is too traditional for me, too much like a rock album. It feels crushing and dangerous but still constricted in some sense.
Anyway, there's a lot here that I enjoy whole heartedly. The best moment might be the majestic parts of Raatteen Marssi, where the militaristic nostalgia is captured almost perfectly. Also the noisier and looser excess of Piikkilangan Takana suits me very well. The shouted vocals are strong and the straight spoken word bits fit in pretty nicely. In some way it all succeeds in feeling like a document, not really a personal attack of uncontrollable rage, more like a well thought out research project. Which might explain the lack of spontaneity, maybe it's just not warranted here.
So, not really entirely my cup of tea (like a lot of PE) but close enough to make me want to spin it once in a while.

mut nyt vittu riittää tää lahtarimusa, seuraavaksi kuuntelen Selkkausta....

FreakAnimalFinland

CHOP SHOP "Rusty hum" 3"CDR
CHOP SHOP "Hello" biz card CDR

Banned Productions
Two releases that came before latest full length CD. Hello is just 3 minutes of wall of noise. Many people have hailed Chop Shop as one of early influences for wall of noise, but that seems like not entirely accurate... but in this case, it does. 3 minutes is steady and hard, rather one dimensional and surprisingly distorted harsh noise. It has the typical stillness of amplified noise rumbles moving nowhere, just hissing and grinding in weird static quality. Hello is from 2006. 3 minutes is over so quick, it's really more of irritating release than anything else!
On 3", what came out 2003, there are 16 minutes of material. This is very very similar to atmosphere presented in Tension Charge Discharge and Smolder 3"CD's on V2 label. Packaging is less special, and format is burned disc (which didn't even work in one of my cd players. had to play with another). But musically, rusty hum, that's what perfectly describes what it is. Methods of composition is Chop Shop standard. Rusty and decayed humming and rumbling noises played through custom made art speakers, chopped into short pieces put together seamlessly with straight cuts. No fades from one to another, no mixing tricks. Just  zzzzzzzzzz/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/hhhhhhh/hchchchc/ffffffffff. The atmosphere is not build by composition or edit. It is all about the grainy textures and beauty of minimalism of decayd sound. Business card is pretty much routine job, and too short to really justify buying. Rusty Hum, in other hand, is essential if you worship Chop Shop. If you just want to get the very best of band, perhaps the steel plate 2x10" and V2 cd's will satisfy most of your needs?

FreakAnimalFinland

Well, time for some short ones on Corrosive art

MIXTURIZER "stereotypes" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art ca-10
Man behind RONF records, and early 90's used to run Cadaverizer Records which mainly did noisecore. He's still doing noisecore, but now perhaps leaning more into harsh noise. As teenage boy, I did have pretty much interest towards his Potabilizadora and Genital Masticator. This new project Mixturizer is pretty much hit & miss type. In one hand, I can appreciate harsh noise he comes up with, but at the same time I feel it ain't that special. Most of all, it is dominated by hyper compressed digital computer distortion. Nothing is bad really, but it is very generic noise of today. Not very dense, not very dynamic or interesting sounds. Just loud noise with digital finish. 4th and last of these short tracks is infact the best, and that is because it tends to go into territory of minimal electronics instead of full on noise. Limited to 25, and released back in 2008, so well...

LOWLIFE "piece of shit whore" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art, ca-11
Mr. Lowlife disappeared couple years ago suddenly. He is known as man behind Antihumanism, which put out for example Grunt/Taint split LP among many other items. Several months of silence suddenly was interrupted with news that he had been behind the bars for a while. And perhaps what makes it more interesting, is that reason of the jail time was violent attack on the girl depicted in the cover photo, with the flesh-hammer in her mouth. Perhaps more of just matter of personal life, but since it's depicted on cover of cdr, I guess it's public enough to be mentioned. 5 minutes of audio here is heavy and highly distorted electronics. It's like bolts creates of tones of keyboards distorted into maximum. Some more lively sounds there too, and samples from Meatholes (I assume). It's very digital, but unlike in Mixturizer, I'm not really disturbed. It suits the crystallic nature of these noises. It isn't about inventing the wheel again, but Lowlife has proven to be one of the very low profile projects which may eventually be noticed when time of these ltd 29 type of releases is over.

HALTHAN "poetic justice" biz card cdr
Corrosive Art -ca 09
2 tracks in 5 minutes. first one is Stanford Society. Pretty heavy and gloomy software synth noises and heavy flanged voice. Not far from some Ex.Order and Sektio-B and the whole Steinklang type of heavy electronics. Not noisy, not hard, just heavy electronics. There is a drastic difference with this, and Halthan live. Live shows benefit from raw and harsh feedback ridden abuse, but often turn into drunken nonsense. While releases have more industrial/euro pe approach, which is pretty well done, but lacks some fierce edge that live shows are able to create. Some balance would be nice to be found. 2nd song, patient/victim (part 1) is short outro type piece, and fuck me if I have to listen that "cops are pigs" sample one more time and I'll need to reconsider the heavy electronics tag again and perhaps replace it to drunk-punk electronics, hah..

Andrew McIntosh

DISGUST, Time Ruins Everything, 3" cd
Small Doses
This little album didn't start too well for me. The first two tracks composed of sparse, minimal pulsing that didn't have the right kind of sound to really grip me. The composition is good, the timing is good, it's just the actual sounds chosen seemed too banal. It's on the vocals that this project really works; an hysterical, rampant screetching shout through which Disgust renders some great delay work. So when track three, "Epiphany" comes in, mostly made up of this kind of screaming and feedback, the project begins to grow. Fortunately that's the standard for the rest of this very brief album. So, a bit hit and miss, which is not great for so short an album, but at least something to latch on to.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

IRON FIST OF THE SUN "blush" tape
Unrest Productions
This UK artists is back with new recordings. Neat full color cover in pink color, pink pro-tape with on-body print. IFOTS is nice fresh attack from UK, as opposed to dirty walls or fierce metal/junk abuse, it basically relies on synth. And when I say synth, I don't mean that it would be one of the muddy sub-bass rumbling drones. But the compositions often happen in high pitched frequencies, where references could be listed for example Dominator, Death Squad, Nicole 12,... etc. But IFOTS takes their very own angle, basically leaning towards minimal synth music? It's not all about dark and heavy stereotypical throbbing, but the synth sounds sometimes go far beyond the standards of PE of today, perhaps into old industrial. There is no drum machine, there no "dance beats" or anything like that. It is just very sharp and electric approach of careful synth modulations. I recommend this, and the CD on Cold Spring to anyone who wants to hear something different for a while!

Samuli

LHD – Limbs of the Fawn CD (Misanthropic Agenda)

This is very brutal harsh noise attack. Loud electronics, no breaks, no calmer or softer moments, just blasting loud harsh noise wall from the beginning to the end. This is not a "monotonous wall of noise" like some bands because sound is developing and changing all the time and something happens under the surface continually but still there is some kind of "wall" feeling on this record. This record could be described like a snow storm hitting your face with full force and it`s very "purified" feeling after listening this record with high volume. Packed in nice black digipack and there is no booklet, no pictures, no texts, no statements, nothing, just LHD and album title on a cover. Simple package suits perfectly for this great record.

ConcreteMascara

Sadistic Bliss - Sadistic Bliss [Filth & Violence]
Described by Pasi as obscure monotonous metal, this tape was really unlike anything I've heard. It's metal in the since that there are drums and guitar and bass, but it the execution is far from metal. Black metal in terms of intent or feeling to some extent, maybe drone metal could be used to describe. But this is too slow to be metal. Torturous, like Chinese water torture or something. The song lengths all between 9 and 20 minutes allow for slow development. No element is overpowering, things are never very loud or explosive but that's what makes it soo good. The vocals are perfect, just audible, kind of like an itch you can't scratch. I wanted them louder at first but the distant quality just adds to the over all unpleasantness of the experience. The second track is the noisiest of the three, with a nice thick synth guitar sound pushing it forward. This isn't really metal or noise in the most basic sense, but some strange combination of elements. Unfortunately it was limited to only 50 copies, but this definitely one of the best F&V releases of all of 2009, which is saying something considering the consistency of F&V.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

DAVE PHILLIPS & JOHN WIESE "at a loss for words" 7"
Blossoming Noise
Wiese with extreme back catalogue is the guy, who often does good job, but is hard to justify buying all the 7"s due sheer amount of the items available. Dave Phillips on other hand has much less. He's been around for long, though. Back in 80's as bass player of infamous Fear of God (!) and then proceeded on experimental sound. I admired the recent RRRecords LP, and seen his live shows and got few other releases. What I am slightly critical, is the thing, that despite he is indeed member of Schimpfluch Gruppe since 1991, it seems that artists involved in same circle have perhaps even too much in common? Even if everybody has been taking steps towards their own approach, especially Sudden Infant, in the end, even when you listen this Wiese boosted collaboration, I'm thinking someone could have tried to sell me the sound as Rudolf Eb.Er and I could have maybe considered it true. It does lack the typical R&G qualities & characteristics that are so unique, they simply can't be reproduced by others. But in end, similarities in composition, use of human voice, dramatic play of tension, silence, loud bursts just is so..... Schimpfluch.
I enjoy b-side more, which is busier and more in your face. A-side lets you wait... wait... listen the silence, and then AAAAARRRGHH!!!! ... followed by silence, little gagging and gnarling.. broken quickly cut noises...   Yeah. It is good. It is unique compared most of the rest, but it follows very closely some nearly fundamental elements that are known to be associated with these groups. When you first hear them, it sounds totally innovative and amazing, and later one it may feel as if they've been doing the same for decades.. very little to amaze you at 2010. But like any simply good noise, innovative or not, this is good to listen to.

kettu

breathing problem-mattress on the floor originally tape+cdr         

this is not a proper review just a few thoughts. plus im sure since this is not very fresh there have been bunches of reviews already.
this was put on the net by the band I guess. didnt sound like a tape rip, instead maybe even masterd and EQd from the master or then it was recorded with a computer because there wasnt any tapehiss and the sound was so "clean" and strong

sounded pretty good. I was surprised because I had some serious doubts about it after seeing some live clip which was incredibly  boring and poopy. fucking chains in a bowl, people dont use this anymore, try other things.

one good thing straight off was that the feedback sounded if not incredible then atleast fairly piercing and not wailing around  weak as often happens with newish bands.

maybe those little synthboxes were used and some grunt sounding junks(midrange metal banging with distortion), for my taste there could have been more well asembled junk and less pedal noodeling but the flow of things was so good and the compositions had good variety so this gets at least one thumb up from me.

tyra banks show is not a cool place for samples mind you.

edit:oops I forgot to put this under some label, everybody loves pidgeonholes and tags. mostly pretty damn noisy with some pe but there were a few tracks of pure power electronics like no contact

FreakAnimalFinland

ALTAR OF FLIES "black tunnels" tape + 5" lathecut
Cipher
This is the special edition of release. I had recollection AoF would be more of harsh noise project, but seems like it's not accurate, at least in this case. One could file it somewhere in gloomy and noisy, but slow death industrial type of realms? Or perhaps not? Think of something what sounds like the slow and bass loaded works of Mania, with screechy metals but also some guitars(?) delivering few random drones. Thinking also other slow and bass loaded works, like some stuff of Pestdemon, Hum of The Druid and perhaps even Burial Hex? It has very raw noisy and handmade edge to it, but it's never "full on". Just brutally and lowly annihilating with slightly random direction. Tape is much much better than the lathe cut. If they attempted to get THIS sound on it, I do realize why it actually sounds pretty weak, and most of things you can hear is the loud surface noise, snaps & pops and something very little happening. Material of this type not only requires longer playtime, but format what can carry the heavy sound. Packaging of the regular tape is nice. Just normal J-card thing. But special edition is pretty ridiculous. That same tape and 5" attached to c. 7" size plywood piece spraypainted back. And about full black plastic garbage bag is squeezed roughly to "ball" and oiled piece of bandage keeps whole object shabbily together. Not only it is the most unpractical thing I saw for months, but it's so ugly, nothing justifies the size/dimensions. It's like someone sending you their trash. hah... well, I guess there was a reason for this.

heretogo

I was very disappointed with that Altar of Flies tapes. The split-LP with Sewer Election was much better and I had my hopes up. The tape was just so meaningless, nothing grabbed my attention there. Just now looking at his prolific output on Discogs - no wonder he can't keep up the quality!