cd/lp/tape etc. REVIEWS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 03, 2009, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: cipher chris on April 23, 2012, 03:44:08 AM
that was actually part of my implied answer. :)
if you can gain an insight into what someone likes and dislikes through their reviewing of something you're familiar with, then you have a starting point on which to approach their review of something you're unacquainted with.  BUT I think the trust which arises there requires the reviewer to be candid and able to negatively critique.

I did get the implied bit, but I thought I'd spell it out anyway - in my own didactic way. And I tend to agree with the broader point on the value of the negative review. But as there are any number of ways to approach a review, for the writer and the reader, I can't necessarily discount those which might restrict themselves to, say, paroxysms of ardor. Critique of some kind ought still to come through.

Some reviewers choose to focus on things they like. Joe "#1 Noise Fan" Lombardo memorably said so, over and over again. But even then the faithful reader could detect the subtle grades of enthusiasm. When the prose fell primarily to flat descriptors I felt that to be a less than enthusiastic endorsement. None of which much mattered one way or the other since these were the only reviews I could find of the product on offer. I was frankly just happy that the review existed. (I feel the same way about most of the reviews I've ventured; that they exist is more important than what they say.)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

VD-NP "mukkula noise conspiracy" tape
debut tape of Finnish project. In some ways it makes me think of Psywarfare. Because it doesn't seem to come as "independent" noise project, but I automatically associate it's links to more famous hardcore bands. In case of Psywarfare, it was always discussed as "with members of Integrity" and with VD-NP, this is AV known from Morning After, 7th Legion, etc. and nowadays Damngod. I had heard his previous noisy recordings few years ago, which were not bad, but also hardly something what world needs in form of record. This new session, about c-30 tape, is much better. Basic elements are fuzzy distorted bass noise, keyboard drones, distorted vocals, heavily digi-reverbed floor tom bounding. Structured, more of dark industrial than noise really, however the kind of "trivial" topics of sampling religious propaganda tapes about corruption of satanic rock etc. moves it closer to "noise".  B-side track is better when the topic is less "youthful rebellion". Clarity of groovebox sounding synth patterns in beginning and end is not the best element, and the distinctively digital high pitch of reverb in percussive elements doesn't 100% smoothly blend in mix, but in field of contemporary tough industrial-noise - VD-NP appears like project which could actually go somewhere! I think merely 50 tapes was done, so those into hearing Finnish obscurities - kind of outside the scene of "same people", check this.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

DBL

Mazakon Tactics - Epitomes of Carnal Despoilment [death industrial / lo-fi / power electronics]
Tape, released by Obscurex

Melted Cassettes - The Real Sounds from Hell Recordings [electronic / noise / industrial]
CD, released by Mind Flare Media

Al Qaeda & Endometrium Cuntplow - AQECRMXCLLB [lo-fi / electronic / noise]
C53 tape, released by Love Torture Records

Videl - D'Monique Velsmord [industrial dark ambient]
CD, released by Section XIII: COMA

Aspectee - Jour Cinq [ambient / dark ambient / drone]
CD, released by Black Drone

Army Of 2600 [retro / chiptune]
CD, released by Mind Flare Media

Lörsson / Grindstroke [avantgarde / noise]
C15 tape, self-released

El Diablos Bloncos / Endometrium Cuntplow [electronic noise / techno]
CD-R, released by Love Torture Records

Offtopic:
There's also a pretty recent and extensive interview with Nyodene D, and brief ones with Ryan Jencks & GX Jupitter-Larsen.

Andrew McIntosh

LAPOT, Igneous Corrosion
cassette, 2012
Obscurex

A combination of site recordings and electronics/synthesiser makes this a long, slow, rushing flow over the course of an album, two sides that are completely unhurried and instinctive from each other, save for side one which has a burst of heavily echoed vocals. Oddly, there are lyrics printed for both sides of the album but are only heard on the first. No matter, it's the flow that counts. It's grainy but not gluggy, with a somewhat subtle crunch, or more of an aggressive hiss, very much like struggling through a rain storm, the wind distorting in one's ears, unable to see much in front of you apart from vague, greyed imagery. The intensity ranges from steady downpour to flooding, from face-on wind-whip to cowering under shelter in fear of the pummelling above. It's an album I think best appreciated at loud volume because played lower, it looses some impact, but louder the murkier aspects of the lower fidelity can be appreciated.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

VOLKSMORG
cassette, 2012
Terror

I've had many listens to this album, mostly late at night in the dark when settling to sleep. The sound is murky, sludgey, dark and oozing, with all the abstracted visual emotions that entails. Low end humming, rushing, droning and very slow pulsing recorded nice and musty with plenty of glutenous feedback in the layers. Interestingly, the second side has a better fidelity than the first, thanks to the mastering of Daina, and this changes the sound from slow moving tectonic filth to more rushing, aggressive roar and clash with the occasional metal clang and bang over it. Two moods, both bad. The slightly homoerotic boys posing on the cover with electronics and alchohol, our pals Levas and M. (Pogrom and Body Cargo), have recorded a jam session not based on cosmic trippiness and synth wankery but drug sickness and hangovers. Pure Noise sludge. And after seeing the inside cover I'll never get an erection again.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

VA, Kad Te Moje Cakija Ubode
cassette, 2012
Terror

First, the concept. The movie, who's title translates into English as "When My Knife/Blade Cuts/Strikes You", made in 1968 by (then) Yugoslavian director Krsto Papic, is a charming little biopic about knife murders in certain villages in his homeland. The main link being human stupidity. As always. It's not like you can get away from it anywhere you go, and Papic demonstrates, through a very simple method of interview, intercut with the occasional charming folk song, the inane and mundane "reasons" people get shived - "A Murder Because He Cursed On His Kalja Cabbage", for example, or "A Murder Because He Got Drunk And Wanted To Wipe Out The Whole Village". One could account a ready abundance of weapons, over-use of alcohol, macho culture, the whole pseudo chin-rub, but the personal accounts of the murderers themselves seem to suggest just basic stupidity.
  Anyway, the romanticism of "primitive instincts", "raw brutality" and "worship of knives" is the "sacred feeling unites all artists in this compilation". Excerpts from the movie are interspaced with the tracks themselves, and the whole is packaged very neatly in a cardboard box with the title written in shit on a human body (and the projects' names in the same substance on the same medium on the back of the booklet). So, it's all about the filth and violence.

Now, the music. I have no love of Wall Noise. I particularly hate Static Wall Noise (or Militant Wall Noise, or whatever dicky term some fuckwit's come up with a few minutes ago that I'm thankfully unaware of), that miserable, imagination-less rip-off of minimalism that has flooded the Noise scene with a gazillion lazy also-rans who want the quickest, easiest foot-up on the bandwagon. As I've argued before, if you really need to listen to one static tone for however long, you simply hook up your own gear (because the great majority of Noise fans are also Noise makers) and do it yourself. Paying good money or even trading to hear someone do something you could do yourself is like paying someone to tie your shoelaces. And with Wall Noise, it's just as musically satisfying.
  Sadly, the great majority of this compilation is Static Wall Noise. Which makes reviewing superfluous. What is there to say about a number of tracks that are all just variations on lead buzz going through effects units? Who hasn't heard it before? Who would want to hear it again? There's no point even describing at least all of side one of this thing. It's fucking Static Wall Noise, you could play it in your head without resorting to anything physical. Side two, fortunately, involves a bit of variation. Pogrom's sound at least has some development, slow but certain, with some vocals and very muted sounding samples. It's nice, but needed editing. Then there's another bit of Wall Noise fluff, then McKaras plays "Srbosjek", single source Harsh Noise antagonism with vocals that, while not my normal thing, is a welcome distraction from the main form of this album, and the occasional shouting involved gives the spiral a nice pacing. But it's Oorchach who really begin to redeem this album with the unusual "As Prapjausiu Tavo Bugnus", taking a persistent tribalistic drum pattern as the base, adding a gritty synth tone as a riff and occasional effected acoustic sounds, modulating the rhythum pattern throughout. Simple, effective and pleasing, it's a great pity this kind of thinking is relegated to a minority here. Girny Giesmes finishes the album with "A Bit Of Poetry, A Bit Of Knife", a nice, cloudy, ambient piece based heavily on echo and soft, distant sound.
  So, two good pieces, two acceptable pieces, and the rest –  I've made my case clear, I believe.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

VIVENZA, Realite De L'Automation Directe, Realites Servomecaniques, Modes Reel Collectifs
cds, 2009/10/11
Rotorelief

The concept of Industrial as representing the sounds of heavy industry themselves got a bit lost early in the piece. Despite the use of metal by the you-know-who's of the genre, the idea of replicating and presenting the sound of pure, soul-less machinery in action seemed a bit beyond the imagination and/or ability of most of the precursors, at least as far as I can tell. Yet it was the Futurists who noticed the potential and that was decades ago.
 So Vivenza consciously takes up the torch and presents replication, by tape and other means, of factory and warehouse in sound. The result is wonderfully non-human, despite the fact that everything has had to be made and moved by human hands, this music included. There is still the very definite aesthetic sense that these sounds are not made as music for musical consumption, but are the results simply of extraneous sound from machinery. Or at least, that's how I like to hear it.
 My personal favourite is "Realite De L'automation Directe", two lengthy pieces of pure mechanical monotony. The first based on a loop sample (listen closely and you can just here the slight click where the loop joins) that I presume has been treated with effects, but possibly not. It is a rhythm in itself, slightly melodic but solely mechanical. The second is based on a simple, strident clanging tone that definitely has some echo placed on it, more abrasive and intrusive like a continuous hole-punch. For twenty minutes both rhythm pieces are allowed to clang while other sounds, mostly mechanical, sometimes of the human voice, are laced over them. That is all – a simple idea made effective as much by the blatant lack of consideration of the listeners' approach as by the composers care in construction. That there is a hypnotic effect in both pieces is almost a given, but I wonder if Vivenza would be gracious to the idea of his music being taken as psychedelic. In any case, this album alone puts to bed the worthless idea that rhythmic, repetitive music is a mere techno wank fit only for drugged out hippies.
 I had "Realities Servomechaniques" as mp3s for a while so I was looking forward to getting the album itself as the first track, "Proliteriat & Industrie", had been something of a personal favourite for a while. It's particularly strong in that it has a few audible ranges whereas the rest of the spirals on this album seem to have the same, somewhat flat, higher sound. Which is not to say there is anything necessarily wrong with any of them, only to point out that the first track has something of more diversity. But all the pieces, and the album entire, is worthy, more perhaps from an intellectual rather than emotive point of view.
 "Modes Reels Collectifs", like "Realite De L'automation Directe", is ostensibly two lengthy pieces but each piece is more a composite of different samples, cut up and placed together in a concrete collage style, various sample loops manipulated in different ways, dropped out, placed back in, in an almost improvisational style. Considering this was made in 1981 I doubt there's any digital faffing about, more use of tape. "Partie 1" is based more on very rhythmic loops, whereas "Partie 2" starts off with a more soundscape feel, free-er and looser, like actually being in an industrial area, moving around, picking up sounds as they come and go, before bringing in the slow, constant clang of mechanism for the duration of the piece.
 This music is like a collage pictorial of a particular age and ideology (although Vivenza would no doubt disagree about "a particular age"), the twentieth century's mechanisation in everyday life. While World War One hastened that mechanisation in the service of various nations' desire to dominate others, the era of mass production was also accelerated by "peace" time greed, the desire to have the latest thing off the conveyor belt, which transformed entire landscapes to cities of industrial production, drowning nature and numbing humans. I'm sure that Vivenza, bruitist that he is, has no such sentimentality in looking at industrialisation, preferring instead a cool, aesthetic appreciation of the machines and their very processes themselves. Which is what makes this music so great. It is cold, clinical, but a definite aesthetic presentation and shaping of machine sound for it's own glory.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

JEAN TINGUELY, Bascule
mp3 rip of lp from Manhood, 1994-5

A sculptor who, long before SRL, embarked on making machines that made noise, moved and on occasion attacked people. This selection of recordings of such machines, in this case, presents one eleven minute long piece that has, mostly in one channel, the clangs, bangs, clashes and thumps of metal and in the other channel long, droning notes that sound like an accordion. The shorter pieces are the sculptures unaccompanied, rustling away like the machines of mystery they are. The first piece, "Bascule 7", has space between the sounds, the suddeness of the thumps and clangs filled in with the droning semi-music. The shorter "sound sculpture" pieces, however, have the same rugged, detailed sound as Vivenza has, the same smoggy rushing and mechanical illusion of detail, and the comparison struck me. If I ever get to Switzerland I'll be sure to visit the Museum Tinguely in Basel, which houses an extensive collection of his works. In the meantime, I just listen to these short but lovely recordings, and dream.

Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

HAL HUTCHINSON, Corrupted Scrap, Wreckage And Reconstruction
lps, 2012
Freak Animal, Unrest

Both recorded in the same session, both released quite close to each other, both showcasing the metal bashing skills of Noise's fastest rising star Hal Hutchinson. And both utilising what he calls the "Factory of Metal Sound technique". I have no idea what that technique entails, but it seems, so far, Hutchinson has been less than satisfied with the results, until "Wreckage".
  But first, "Corrupted Scrap". Once again, the rushing, scraping and colliding sounds of objects that, on both sides, build, very slowly, filling in gaps of silence while still retaining enough light though to allow the details. I particularly like the scraping sounds on the first part of side one, like wire brushes gouging rust and oil from stubborn, redundant engine parts. There's a nice busy-ness here, a sense of frustrated focus, and a great sound of fragmenting metal grit. One can sit back while following the details of the sound and it does come across as rather relaxing. No problem here.
  As for "Wreckage And Reconstruction", Hutchinson himself remarked that it "bears the most faithful resemblance to the sound I originally desired", which makes one wonder about previous releases, a question I'll come to in a minute. When he further states "(w)hat you hear on this record is me playing with my life involved", after listening to this album, I believe it. There is, most definitely, a boost in the volume and the fidelity, not to clean and pristine but to urgent and powerful, an injection of genuine excitement that really makes this album too short despite it being a long player length. The sound is, as he promises, nailed. It's not being pushed in your face, but it's not rustling around in the mid-ground there. It really does sound like someone struggling in the middle of a universe of rusted and broken metal, and Hutchinson is right to be proud of it.
  When he writes "all the recordings I have made using the Factory Of Metal Sound technique have ultimately failed in capturing the sound I wanted to present successfully", it does raise the questions about the value of previously released recordings. I'm not having a go at Hal stating this, I like to think it's an obvious point. The sense I get is that he is not entirely happy with prior releases. Why? He acknowledges himself that the process he is using is experimental. I have heard a seasoned experimental musician remark, just before giving a live performance, that that means failure is a part of the process. Of course, because there is no furtherance without failure. But what I have heard of Hutchinson's FOMS recordings have not been failures to my ears. They have not been intense head-destroying experiences, but that is not always desirable. I believe that, in a short amount of time, Hutchinson has created a body of work that is, in it's small way in this small scene, significant, and it's no mistake many others have picked up on it. So, if I'm right and Hal hasn't been all that content with previous work, allow me to re-assure – there's nothing wrong with it. There's been no failure, only advance. Both these albums testify that.
Shikata ga nai.

RyanWreck

"No failure only advance" - great way to put it. I liked your review for "Removing Aesthetics" as well. Speaking of which...

For those who don't have it, Hal put "Removing Aesthetics", a 2010 release using some material from the RRRecords recycled series, for free on Archives. The material here, as Hal states is a bit cleaner than the other material from this session; "Due to the nature of the RRR recycled music series being dubbed over donated cassettes this version appears in much higher definition than previously heard." I love the title as it is so fitting, "Removing Aesthetics". Well, with mp3's the aesthetics are definitely removed especially if that is all you are given. Left with just sound and a close up shot of some rusty metal with the artist name and album name in some boring font. But that is a good thing. It plays into this tape for the better. I like this one a whole lot. Not as good as my personal favorite "Taste of Iron", nonetheless its a strong piece (over 40 minutes) of non-effected junk abuse that truly does stand on the other side of the tracks when it comes to being "Harsh":

http://archive.org/details/HalHutchinson-removingAesthetics

Andrew McIntosh

"Taste Of Iron" - I should get that one. If it's sold out at FA there's affordable copies on Discogs still.

HAL McGEE, I Am A Black Hole
download

Of the many, many releases and re-releases McGee has been making available, either by download or cassette, this is one I come back to most often. Five tracks of shortwave static. Varying from slight, aching squiggles with the dial to long patches of monotony, yet this is one case where there is always a sense of change, oscillation, variation, continuation and evolution back and forth, from droning hum to hissing static to phases of voice and electricity. Apparently digital delay is used but it doesn't seem all that evident, the sound seeming quite pristine and unaffected. It's relaxing, of course, just the thing for background sound and late night indulgence. This is how minimal, monotonous Noise is really done - sans pretension, sans any self-indulgent artistry or identity, yet also managing to actually be there and exist, this just is. Noise for it's own fucking sake.
Shikata ga nai.

RyanWreck

Yea man that CM tape is gold. He hasn't put out one shitty release yet. Not even a shitty track come to think of it.

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "Engines of modern dysfunction vol 1." 7"
Phage Tapes
Really nice!! Think about noise compilation in 7" format, and I can't remember THAT many classics. Maybe a lot to do with many artists having inability to really get focused piece in short format. This one takes angle that bands basically melt into eachother. There is sonic similarities in most of them, and pauses within their own pieces are probably longer than pause between the tracks themselves? Songs pretty much bleed into one another and could be even one band - but obviously experts will notice significant traces of the creators trademark styles.
A-side with Facialmess, John Wiese, Chrysalis + Agit8  and B-side with K2, Fail Association, Ahlzagailzehguh, Baculum. Both completely fail free harsh noise of world top class level. 45rpm provides strong crisp sound, and considering the style of these bands, 45rpm 7" really compliments the compilation approach. So much happens here, many of the 40-120minutes compilations I have listened in past months are left in cloud of dust when high speed harshness and razor sharp slicing starts. (MA)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 05, 2012, 08:43:43 AMBoth completely fail free harsh noise of world top class level.

Fail?

EDIT - I'm a dick.
Shikata ga nai.

cipher chris

fail-free, I think.

I like this comp. too, but hey I'm on it.