Tesco Organisation - the experimental / ambient records

Started by bogskaggmannen, August 11, 2016, 06:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

When you think of Tesco there's naturally the usual names like G.O., Anenzephalia, Con-Dom etc. but I would like to hear comments on their "other" output, especially the recent years. I was a rabid collector (and listener!) of all things Tesco from the mid-90's up to mid 00's but lost a bit of interest when their records went more into the Loki soundspectrum with Galerie Schallshutz, Apoptose etc. I try to have an open ear to everything they produce in this realm, but seldom find it engaging.

Apoptose....went from "ok" on the first CD to terrible, yet to hear the recent album but soundsamples didn't do anything for me.
Isomer - have to indulge in their previous efforts, as my memory of them is quite nonexistant. New LP on Tesco forthcoming.
Post Scriptvm - never really bad, but not great either...haven't heard the latest CD on Tesco. LP on Epicurean was ok.
Tho-So-Aa - live LP was great, Identify no real memories... How is the DCD?
Satori - haven't heard a word on the latest CD anywhere. LP on Dogma Chase was terrible.
Propergol - think I won't get a boner from "Paradise Land"...

Ritual

Like yourself, I haven't followed Tesco's more recent output very closely, apart from the good stuff (GO, Anenzephalia, Ke/Hil, Con-Dom etc.). I have listened to the occasional release, though, but don't think it ever led me to pick anything up.

Apoptose are terrible, plain and simple.
Isomer, only heard their latest, is ok-ish... synth-based "heavy" electronics. A bit too clean and sterile in my opinion. Could be interesting if they flesh their sound out a bit.
Post-Scriptvm... never heard anything that grabbed me, although their general sound is somewhat appealing.
Propergol... don't think you'd like Paradise Land. I didn't! Technically, well "designed" but also terribly uninteresting and empty! (This could work as soundtrack to a computer game, possibly.)
Satori... This one is made by the guy who started the band. The Dogma Chase album didn't have any of the original members involved. Seems to have a lot more rawness to it than the Dogma Chase LP, but I have only heard some tracks through rather shitty PC speakers, so can't really say if the sound is to my liking or not. Quite a lot of slow drumming on it.
Tho-So-Aa and some other new-ish stuff I haven't heard.

Kim V

Can only agree with what Ritual already answered to your post. Concerning Satori i can add that i think this CD quite OK. I bought it and listen to it regularly. The sound is heavier than what i know of them (Infect and Kanashibari), reminds me of The Vomit Arsonist at times minus the vocals. If you would want to buy some of Tesco's recent output then i would definately recommend this one.
you're just a victim of yourself

tiny_tove

I am a Tesco groupie, so I am very partial.
But among the most experimental/ambient releases I have to mention Ure Thrall for sure
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

BlackHole

I think the new self titled Vril Jager LP is excellent.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Ritual on August 11, 2016, 07:05:02 PM
Isomer, only heard their latest, is ok-ish... synth-based "heavy" electronics. A bit too clean and sterile in my opinion. Could be interesting if they flesh their sound out a bit.

I tried to check out the dates, but wasn't sure if this means the "Three Kestrels" LP or the one before? I think this new just came out. I had exactly similar feel about some of the older CD's, but I think this new LP actually is much much better than anything before!

There are still couple tracks what would benefit from little more of dirt and flesh, but there is actually really good material what constitutes vast majority of album. I think first of all, Isomer benefits from LP format. It must add little grain and edge to sound merely by choise of format. There is much more Genocide Organ type feel to this, but Isomer also does some "cosmic" synth pieces and gloomier keyboard patterns in few moments. Can't fully decide whether I like the most the most raw and noisy tracks or the ones with tonal work on keyboards (which I often don't care that much). I have feeling there is software synth or some sort of unamplified/line-in recording done what he could easily improve in future. If title track noisier synth would have some innovative effects or recording method, it would make track stand out even more.

Out of all Isomer work, this new LP is something I strongly recommend. Couple times in rotation already and feel like could be listening some more....
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ritual

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 03, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

I tried to check out the dates, but wasn't sure if this means the "Three Kestrels" LP or the one before? I think this new just came out. I had exactly similar feel about some of the older CD's, but I think this new LP actually is much much better than anything before!

It was the one before "Three Kestrels" I meant. I think I may have to check "Three Kestrels" out. Sounds promising.

Zeno Marx

Apoptose - Prozession der Augen.  great track, but I'm a sucker for a marching snare drum cadence.

https://youtu.be/H3vyZiZCj0o
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

isomer

Cheers Mikko. There are a couple of tracks on Three Kestrels that I started 4-5 years ago and never did anything with till now, but from memory only one of those uses soft synths. The rest of the synth stuff is all analogue. I agree, sounds better on vinyl so I'm happy Tesco were willing to support that. I'm happy with the way it all came out in the end.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 03, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

There are still couple tracks what would benefit from little more of dirt and flesh, but there is actually really good material what constitutes vast majority of album. I think first of all, Isomer benefits from LP format. It must add little grain and edge to sound merely by choise of format. There is much more Genocide Organ type feel to this, but Isomer also does some "cosmic" synth pieces and gloomier keyboard patterns in few moments. Can't fully decide whether I like the most the most raw and noisy tracks or the ones with tonal work on keyboards (which I often don't care that much). I have feeling there is software synth or some sort of unamplified/line-in recording done what he could easily improve in future. If title track noisier synth would have some innovative effects or recording method, it would make track stand out even more.

Out of all Isomer work, this new LP is something I strongly recommend. Couple times in rotation already and feel like could be listening some more....

bogskaggmannen

I'm all for trying out new ideas / exploring new ground but the description Tesco came up with ("ethnic moods drowned in violent powerful beats directed under a martial symphony") for the upcoming African Imperial Wizard 12" just don't hook with me at all...