Law of the Loop

Started by Major Carew, August 29, 2020, 06:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Carew

Law Of The Loop

Have begun working on more metal loop material (and incorporating other elements), and have been thinking about the importance of loops with regard to industrial as a genre, and its many offshoots / sub-generes etc. It seems to me that as a recording technique and approach to present sound it pretty much an underpinning aspect.

There's that saying 'everything goes in cycles'. The world keeps turning, and nature constantly regenerates & comes around on itself. We build machines that are manufactured to unrelentingly perform the same task for good or ill, in the name of Industrial development, consumerist repetition, or to build anew.

They can also represent punishing destruction. Just watch the famous battle scene from 'Paths of Glory' and listen to the looping sounds of the artillery shells falling! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gyyGHHXfck

Is the creation of loops a fundamental aspect of Industrial music in particular so relevant because what it represents in a wider sense, or because of the instinctive attraction to it sonically? Both?

Would such genres be the same if it was not an option to make loops?

Are they used as a representation of the "total mobilisation" of mans impetus / energy?

Other points for discussion could be:

.Why do you think loops are so important as a recording technique?

.Different ways to utilise them as a technique?

.Could it be looked upon as a defining technique of such genres (obviously along with others like field recordings for example) and why?

.How do you think they are most effectively used and which artists do you think have used them to the greatest degree?

.Favourite particular loops on Industrial / Noise records?

Balor/SS1535

I love using loops in my own recordings for a variety of reasons, and I think that a wide variety of effects can be achieved depending on what is being looped.  The main reason that I like loops is that they create a foundation on which I can build.  It's something that once recorded, exists and acts independently of what I do.  Looping metal scrapes and bangs creates a rhythmic base, and synth tones can be looped into undulating drones.

Looping samples and voice recordings is also really interesting.  That was one of the strongest points of Iron Division by Zyklon SS, in my opinion.  A phrase put on repeat forces you to think about it and consider its various meanings and contexts in a way that one would not have if it had only been played once or as part of a single, longer sample.

NaturalOrthodoxy

I think a pretty unromantic answer would be that it's an element of rhythm in a genre that eschews conventional forms of percussion- so direction, dynamics, so on. Even a looped voice sample would, at least subconsciously, perform a similar function as a drum beat.

BUT, I think a more fun way to answer this is that in forms of industrial with little to no song structure, we are constructing worlds to inhabit while listening. I was listening to Mind Control by GO last week and realised that the repetitive nature of those songs have an effect similar to that of a painting. Rather than being a dynamic element that indicated change, progression, or narrative, the loops acted as a constant throughout the song much the same way that an ashen sky is the backdrop of a Bosch hellscape, or the glaring sun sets the tone of an Edward Hopper painting. We listen for however many minutes, taking in the separate elements of the track, sometimes other instruments like synth or feedback will tell a story over the back drop, sometimes the whole thing will be repetitive and uniform, and by the end (or even throughout) we have the wherewithal to see the "image" the song has constructed in sound.

This is my own interpretation anyway. Sometimes when the loops are more violent (see "Elders of Z" on the above album, the exception proving the rule) they are more like a killer riff, the kind you could happily just loop forever.

NaturalOrthodoxy

should also add this is a great topic, I look forward to seeing other people's input

Major Carew

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on August 31, 2020, 03:16:35 PM
I was listening to Mind Control by GO last week and realised that the repetitive nature of those songs have an effect similar to that of a painting.

It was only a matter of time before someone mentioned Genocide Organ. I was going to mention the track 'No Return'. It could be filed under a list of 'the best use of metal loops'. Not sure if John Murphy made that loop himself or the loops were made from sources he sent later on?

And of course, Vivenza.

slagfrenzy tapes

This is a great topic. It's worth discussion.
I believe what you're asking is more implied than used. I have been racking brain, but can not come up with strict industrial noise artist to demonstrate.
Best I can do is Tall Dwarfs - Canned Music , for a strict tape loop structure.
From my own life, when I worked in Sydney, I had both the managers & the owner tell me that I could react to the machine I used by sound. I was not watching it, but listening to it.
Like above, I believe it's more implied than used.
And again, I think this is a great topic, Dig deep people.

slagfrenzy tapes

Repetition vs Loop.
One can change, the other doesn't.