Jim O'Rourke

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 24, 2022, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I got bunch of O'Rourke stuff, but basically this far, I don't think I ever bought his album intentionally. It's always collaborations, or part of some label discography. Being much more about doing trade with someone, or buying pile of stuff, where just happens to be random O'Rourke release. It doesn't mean I would not be interested. I have listened plenty, but have barely sharp memories how they were exactly.

With discography close to 200 releases, it seems a swamp I rather not jump in random. Recommendations of his works that stand out somehow as unusually good and interesting?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Mattias G

I love his works. Especially his "pop" albums and guitar stuff. Super complex compositions but the first listens it sounds like simple pop songs. Two drummers etc. And he is a studio wizard. His work with Wilco stand out and is one of the best records of all time in my opinion. Try "A ghost is born".
But his albums on Drag City is fantastic. Eureka, Bad timing, Simple Songs, Insignificance etc. 

jvc

He has been quite active in releasing drone/electroacoustic stuff on his bandcamp site https://steamroom.bandcamp.com/music so that's a place to easily check out some pieces. The earlier additions are works that have been put out previously in physical format, latest are new works that are released in bandcamp only. There's a recent 4CD release, To Magnetize Money and Catch a Roving Eye, that's quite similar to his recent bandcamp output.

In addition to "pop" stuff Mattias G mentioned, I think some O'Rourke "classics" would be Terminal Pharmacy (on Tzadik) and I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4 (on Mego). Also, lots of collaborations. I enjoy both collabs with Kassel Jaeger.

Mattias G

Quote from: jvc on January 24, 2022, 03:02:32 PM
In addition to "pop" stuff Mattias G mentioned, I think some O'Rourke "classics" would be Terminal Pharmacy (on Tzadik) and I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4 (on Mego). Also, lots of collaborations. I enjoy both collabs with Kassel Jaeger.

How could I forget "Terminal pharmacy" and especially " I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4".
I can also recommend his two albums with Loose Fur if you want the rock stuff.

acsenger

I don't know most of Jim O'Rourke's stuff, and what I've heard I often didn't like or didn't think it was anything special. However, I do love some of his releases. Here's a list of what I have or heard recently:

- Happy Days: excellent album that starts with acoustic guitar Americana-style and then slowly morphs into a swarming drone of hurdy-gurdy and from then on is in minimalism territory, before ending with acoustic guitar again. The combination of these two remote styles works surprisingly well.
- I'm Happy, And I'm Singing, And A 1, 2, 3, 4: early glitchy laptop music, which might scare most people on this board away, but these three tracks are exquisitely constructed and feature great atmospheric melodies (deconstructed by a laptop, of course).
- Simple Songs: his latest singer-songwriter album, from 2015. Initially I dismissed it as crappy soft rock, but after a couple listens I was hooked. I absolutely love this album.
- The Visitor: very good instrumental album. Not sure how it could be described better. Somewhat similar to Bad Timing, but better, I think.
- Oren Ambarchi/Jim O'Rourke/Keiji Haino - Tima Formosa: solid improvised electronic experimental music, recorded live (I think this was the start of this trio which has released many other albums since).
- PBK/Jim O'Rourke - Unidentified Again: I have vague recollections of this one as I haven't heard it in ages, but I remember liking it quite a lot. They made it after reconnecting after around 20 years.
- Jos Smolders/Jim O'Rourke - Additive Inverse: great experimental electronic album.

And I'm very happy O'Rourke has been mastering/remastering previously released as well as unreleased music by Roland Kayn that has steadily been coming out over the last couple years.

impulse manslaughter

I have a few things in my collection. The one I like the most is the 7" on Touch records; Despite the Water Supply. Nicely layered slabs of ambient drones. I haven't played the The Magic Sound Of Fenn O'Berg collaboration cd for a very long time but used to like that one. More abstract sound collage, music concret type of stuff.

state_of_exception

Quote from: Mattias G on January 24, 2022, 11:14:15 AM

But his albums on Drag City is fantastic. Eureka, Bad timing, Simple Songs, Insignificance etc. 

I would second "Insignificance." I remember being absolutely blown away by that album when I first heard it. Beyond just being an incredibly cozy album (instrumentation-wise I think a comparison to Wilco is apt), his darkly acerbic lyrics remind me of a more deeply cynical David Berman. I know it might not be his most complicated album, but I've never listened to anything that has sounded the same. In a genre that generally rehashes the same cliches, it's an incredibly refreshing listen.

With regard to his ambient output, his 2016 collaboration with Fennesz "It's Hard for Me to Say I'm Sorry" and his 2018 album "Sleep Like It's Winter" have really piqued my interest these winter months despite the fact that I haven't been the biggest fan of his most recent "Steamroom" releases.

urall

My always liked the earlier droney stuff - eventhough i listen to some indie music i never got into his 'rock' stuff weirdly enough.
Some faves are:
* Some Kind Of Pagan - droning with some guitar feedback, cymbals, screeches and throbbing sounds
* Scend - drones, field recordings and electronics
* The Ground Below Above Our Heads - more drones.. but different :) builds up nicely

Decrepitude

I've had his a few of his albums on my wantlist for a long time, specially the album done with K.K. Null 'New Kind Of Water' https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CO9-QN1S8

Right now I only have Insignificance and one of the live albums with Oren Ambarchi and Keiji Haino. There's some really muscly free rock songs on that one.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Decrepitude on February 01, 2022, 01:17:02 PM
I've had his a few of his albums on my wantlist for a long time, specially the album done with K.K. Null 'New Kind Of Water' https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CO9-QN1S8
Great album, but KK Null was nearly flawless in his water period.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.