Intentionally bad reviews having the opposite effect

Started by re:evolution, June 01, 2021, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

re:evolution

I came across this review in the Discogs listing, where although it is technically slating the album, the description actually does the opposite of selling it as a 'bad' album! I am sure there are a ton of these types of reviews out there - feel free to add any you know of in this thread.

Anenzephalia – Anenzephalia CD Death Factory 2001
I debated on wether or not to comment on this. This aint my style (when I bought it anyway) and is one of the very few releases I simply could not bring myself to listen to in full.
But I might as well be talking about country or western. So here is a perspective from someone on the other side of this genre's fence.
Years ago, when I had never been exposed to this style, I thought this was the shitest thing I'd ever bought. A pitiful excuse for electronic music put together by a hack with no talent. Stupid noises and pointless screaming and man, what was the point to it all? How the hell did this ever get released anyway?
Well, that was then. I still don't think all that highly of it now but I've learned to appreciate it. For while this really is in essence a collection of incredibly irritating noises with some guy screaming in the background, as an expression of pure nihilism, helplesness, destruction and entropy - nothing comes closer. If carbon monoxide poison could sing, this is what it would sound like. And I hate to admit it, but (since I'm somewhat of a moody character) there have been times when this release came closest to expressing how I feel (even if I have absolutely no idea what he's screaming about). If you want to hear the aural equivalent of utter despair, of dying in the mud, of slow suffocation, of cold drowning - then this is it.
ThomasBear https://www.discogs.com/Anenzephalia-Anenzephalia/release/137765
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Goat93

I don't think the Review is meant as "Bad", think it fits the Music, when you're not familiar with the Background of the Musician
and in that way, its a really good and modest Review.
It sums up the feeling about the Music, without focus on the "Story" of the Album.
Much truer to the core of Music than typical Fanzine Reviews.

re:evolution

Quote from: Goat93 on June 01, 2021, 11:40:07 AM
I don't think the Review is meant as "Bad", think it fits the Music, when you're not familiar with the Background of the Musician
It sums up the feeling about the Music, without focus on the "Story" of the Album.

Well even after him 'getting' it a bit more over time, he only gave it two stars out of five - which is hardly a glowing endorsement for an album that is so widely regarded!
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

JLIAT

Quote from: re:evolution on June 01, 2021, 11:59:02 AM

Well even after him 'getting' it a bit more over time, he only gave it two stars out of five - which is hardly a glowing endorsement for an album that is so widely regarded!

I think this issue raises a particular interest of mine, that noise, PE and Industrial at their outset were not concerned with being 'good music' in many of the prevailing ideas. TG were I think not particularly skilled musicians, Bennett be-moaned audiences who expected the Whitehouse sound which so upset early audiences. That is they set of to be bad by whatever criteria that then existed.  So a 'star' system is perhaps not a good measure. (unless it uses a minus system) I mean if an art work is meant to make one feel ill, or nihilistic- is it good at being bad. The original ideas seemed both in production, performance and packaging to be deliberately (in some cases) incompetent.  But I have noticed over the years this might for many no longer be the case. (Gentrification of noise?)  A recent example "mixing pe or noise is no different than mixing anything else " - well shouldn't it be different?

As for being "so widely regarded!" - well only within a very small circle I think. And in what way regarded.

I guess the heart of the matter is should intentionally bad music get intentionally bad reviews?

Theodore

I guess we all know some guy/s with bad taste, or to put it more diplomatic, that their taste is opposite than yours -always in the same genre though- . Bad review from them certainly has more interest than them praising an album. -X- = +

To be honest i always find 'bad' reviews more interesting anyway. Ofcource really good albums it's difficult to criticize them. And i dont mean being bad for being bad. What i mean is that most reviews around [nowday ? always ?] focus on positive aspects only, which is kind of boring, with less fun ...
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

A-Z

Quote from: JLIAT on June 01, 2021, 02:57:25 PM
A recent example "mixing pe or noise is no different than mixing anything else " - well shouldn't it be different?

no, because sound is sound and it is subject to the same laws of physics, psychoacoustics, etc -- regardless of authorial intent
btw, I've played one of your records to an experienced mixing engineer and he called it very technically competent
shame on you for gentrifying noise, prof. Whitehead

JLIAT

Quote from: A-Z on June 01, 2021, 04:39:14 PM
Quote from: JLIAT on June 01, 2021, 02:57:25 PM
A recent example "mixing pe or noise is no different than mixing anything else " - well shouldn't it be different?

no, because sound is sound and it is subject to the same laws of physics, psychoacoustics, etc -- regardless of authorial intent

I beg to differ, the 'laws of physics' are not laws that nature obeys – science isn't God, and soundwaves can't be policed. Artists work like animals without generalized rules and algorithms, otherwise art could taught and learnt and applied like a 'physical law'.  (off topic!)

Quote from: A-Z on June 01, 2021, 04:39:14 PM

btw, I've played one of your records to an experienced mixing engineer and he called it very technically competent
shame on you for gentrifying noise, prof. Whitehead

Shucks! I guess persisting at something no matter how badly one gets better?  My point though is art as opposed to science the practice precedes the theory. And watching the seagulls outside they certainly can fly... though yet to see any reading texts on aeronautics...

cantle

The thing is it is a well written review- which is always worth reading- even if the writer and yourt opiion on the release in question are different. You could possibly swap 'even' for 'especially' in that sentence too.

Major Carew

'Critical Appraisals' of Final Solution from the early 90s :

"N.Y. based noise hate FINAL SOLUTION are either the worst thing to ever exist or saviours of lame music trends everywhere. Harsh shrieks of white noise shrouded under gutsy violent lyrics. Making the overall imagry nihlistic, morbid and lacking sense of humour. Perfect ending to a perfect day. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys stole from the blind and kicked little kids into oncoming traffic. A real bunch of losers."

- Ink Disease fanzine

''The FINAL SOLUTION show no interest in style melody or form. Their terrorizing sound can only be compared to a sonic air raid with some pervert bellowing nasty thoughts. I would not recommend this at all."

-Jersey Beat fanzine

"This single only proves that three angry people can make more noise then a whole room full of vacume cleaners. Ear piercing keyboard drones packaged in obviously racist, sexist ''hog-wash'', Shouldn't even be considered music! I doubt they'll be playing anywhere soon or ever."

- High Jinks Fanzine

''Pure power"

- Boston Rock Fanzine

Balor/SS1535

FreakAnimalFinland

I think it is related to what type of bad are we talking about. I recall seeing someone gather reviews of early albums of the biggest and most infamous metals bands, from bigger magazines of the time. Be it Hellhammer, Slayer, Metallica, Sodom and such, most of bands like this were laughed at by the "bigger press".
Same kind of phenomena was in Finland. When you knew that journalist was into the most technically advanced, clean and perfectly played metal music, and he'd rage in review what a piece of shit clumsy rubbish particular album is, and giving it 1/5, you knew that THAT is the album to try find and hear.

I think situation has changed over the years. Now there is plenty of material, that is not bad because it would "too brutal" or something. Perhaps even the opposite. Overall complaint would be far more about being soulless and simply products? I think reading that something is unbearable racket, is way more luring than reading intentionally bad review saying band is clean, plastic -esque, safely recycling genre standards, but with less interesting results than the rest. hah.

What comes to the smear campaigns like linked above, I'm pretty sure it does add the neat spicy twist into power electronics. Whatever doors it may close, it probably has more positive effects. These same whiny losers boasted they had "exposed" also yours truly in their articles. What they did, was simply translate couple lyrics, quote couple interviews, post few gigs photos. Exposing what? It's all public information, decades of hard work promoting it myself, putting stuff out there and some newbies acted as if they "exposed" something. By concluding underground band lyrics may be occasionally controversial (Newsflash: sexism, violence, antihumanism,...), and guys who have been around, know a lot of shady characters. pff.. haha..

So, I think intentionally bad reviews is certainly benefit if it goes hand-in-hand with what material trying to express. Like material that by default is for acquired tastes and unlikely to be understood by "journalists". If bad review is for shitty failed "popular" music, its different thing.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Goat93

Quote from: re:evolution on June 01, 2021, 11:59:02 AM
Quote from: Goat93 on June 01, 2021, 11:40:07 AM

Please remind that the Reviewer isn't part of this "Scene"

Bloated Slutbag

Not quite sure I agree with the premise. I think a well-worded intentionally bad review will do more damage than this topic seems to acknowledge.

The effect, opposite or otherwise, may simply reveal an inadequacy on the part of the reviewer to persuasively communicate their disgust.

NP: Weird Al "Even Worse"
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

edit

Put another way, I sometimes think the success of a Bananafish, for example, may be partially premised on the principle of the notional persuasiveness of the "intentionally" bad, spun through copious layers of self-conscious wit (the good sort, that is).

edit edit
this is so getting deleted in the morning
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 04, 2021, 06:33:20 PM
Not quite sure I agree with the premise. I think a well-worded intentionally bad review will do more damage than this topic seems to acknowledge.

I think we might be underestimating the contrarian in some of us, particularly when we're young and belligerent.  You know, a shortcut to rebellion.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.