Brighter Death Now / Lille Roger / Bomb The Daynursery / Roger Karmanik

Started by cr, June 26, 2022, 04:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phenol

Well, trends or not, I am not at all againt OTWATM or their fans. I like neofolk and think Kim has contributed a lot to the scene and has a really good back catalogue. That is also why he can sell albums and concert tickets, of course. I do think the metal community have a tendency to support bands where members have a metal background, and it seems to me that starting from a metal base will give you a much bigger audience than starting from an industrial base. Also, it seems like having a clear-cut song-based form will get you further, also among those who claim to like the gritty stuff. Just observations...all up for discussion, but maybe not in a thread that is dedicated to BDN.

post-morten

Quote from: Phenol on August 11, 2022, 06:34:17 PM
I like your Roger/CMI anecdotes and would like to keep this thread going a little more - so this "bump" is kind of an attempt at that. I got to see BDN 3 times this spring and all of them were great. The material really comes alive with Roger's stage persona.

I also got to see BDN three times, but it's over 20 years ago now. Going back to my first meeting with Roger at his basement office, besides the general feeling of awe two things stand out in my memory: the Zyklon B canisters (just as Strömkarlen mentioned above), and flyers for an upcoming show. Around that time Roger threw a number of "Death Parties" around Sweden... gigs with CMI acts. In Oct 94 there was gonna be a death party in a punk squat in a Stockholm suburb, which would've been my first chance to see BDN. To my dismay it coincided with a trip abroad that couldn't be changed, so I missed out and it took another couple of years.

There was a growing sense of community thanks to the various online foras that emerged. Another contributing factor was the happening of dedicated Cold Meat festivals. Sure some CMI artists had been invited to play European festivals in the past, but I dare to say the first major Cold Meat manifestation was in Erlangen the summer of 96. People travelled from all over. Then came Waregem in 97 & 98 and Athens in 99, and you'd see many of the same faces over and over again. Next thing you knew Coldmeaters were mainstays at bigtime festivals like WGT, Maschinenfest, and even Eurorock, where you had industrialists mixing in with a crowd of metallers, goths, ravers, Hitler jugend lookalikes, and whatnot.

Anyway I'm ranting but basically agree that BDN live used to be pretty darn great. I think my favorite CMI act was Mental Destruction though, who put on an inferno of insanely loud music and seizure inducing strobe lights.

Phenol

Nice story! At that time, 1994-96, I was still living with my parents and listening to this stuff in my room, completely convinced I was the only one in the world into that shit. I went to see Death In June, Der Blutharsch, Blood Axis (as Knotwork), Non etc. in Aarhus a few years later during the late 90s, but the first gigs abroad for me were in 2000-2001. I saw Anenzephalia with Der Blutharsch and Deutsch Nepal in London, f.ex. (for me Anenzephalia was the main attraction, but they were the first to enter the stage) which had huge impact on me. I would have loved to see those CMI acts back in those days. Lina and also Klaus from GO came to one of the gigs in Aarhus and I was a bit starstruck, being 15 or 16 at the time. I didn't dare to speak to any of them, but acknowleged their presence. Mental Destruction were always among my favourites, but I unfortunately never saw them live. It really felt (and still feels) like I was born 5-10 years too late.

magnus

[quote author=post-morten link=topic=12201.In Oct 94 there was gonna be a death party in a punk squat in a Stockholm suburb, which would've been my first chance to see BDN. To my dismay it coincided with a trip abroad that couldn't be changed, so I missed out and it took another couple of years
[/quote]

Was this at Vita huset ("the white house") in Täby? I went to that show, it really was great! Have seen BDN a couple of times after that, latest just a few months ago at Nalen, and never liked it much, but that first gig was something else!

post-morten

Quote from: magnus on August 13, 2022, 06:40:59 PM
Was this at Vita huset ("the white house") in Täby? I went to that show, it really was great! Have seen BDN a couple of times after that, latest just a few months ago at Nalen, and never liked it much, but that first gig was something else!

Yes, that's the event I meant. Perhaps unfair to call the venue a squat. Activity house is probably more like it. Anyway BDN played with ISN, Deutsch Nepal and Ordo Equilibrio. Believe me when I say I'd much rather been there than sipping Mai Tais in Phuket.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: post-morten on August 15, 2022, 12:08:49 AM
Quote from: magnus on August 13, 2022, 06:40:59 PM

Yes, that's the event I meant. Perhaps unfair to call the venue a squat. Activity house is probably more like it. Anyway BDN played with ISN, Deutsch Nepal and Ordo Equilibrio. Believe me when I say I'd much rather been there than sipping Mai Tais in Phuket.

And most of the bands would rather have been sipping Mai Tais then playing in Täby.

Kaaoskultti

Quote from: Phenol on August 11, 2022, 06:34:17 PMNow, some observations about the metal heads who often go to these kinds of shows and have no fucking clue about what they're in for. At two of the gigs, which were in Denmark together with Of The Wand And The Moon, the audience simply left when they found out what BDN was all about. People in metal shirts who couldn't take the heat, fucking hilarious! It is kind of funny since CMI had a lot of crossover with the metal scene back in the day, mostly because of Mortiis, Aghast and MZ 412 probably, while Roger always hated all things metal. Anyway, I find it funny that the metal heads, looking much meaner than most of the industrial/noiseheads, couldn't take BDN even though they have a rather structured and rythmical approach that should talk to the more rock-oriented segment. Some reviews really revealed that these people were clueless about industrial music, saying stuff like "in some of the songs they were ajusting their pedals, they probably felt like that was needed" (quoted from memory). Ignorant shit like that makes me wish for fucking genre-segregation (kidding, kind of...but come on, speak about being ignorant about industrial)! It kind of maybe merits its own thread, but should metal people just get the fuck out of the industrial scene? I can mention less than 5 artists or so with a metal background who are able to make good industrial and vice versa...there might be more, but I'm sure you get what I'm getting at...

That was a great read. It's definitely annoying when (mostly-)Metalheads stumble accross PE/DI/Noise and act all confused or even morally outraged. I'm curious as to whether this type or reaction mostly manifests from Slayer shirted long-haireds or Avant-garde experimentalists alike who listen to Stockhausen and John Cage, being the latter often more than open towards forms of music that might sound out of the box, whatever the aesthetic presentation.
Many good stories around this forum involving true interaction between people who dwelled within the scene to some extent is not only amusing but revigorating. In my country, for example, there are no stores dedicated to Industrial or Noise music, thus every release I own from this style of music comes from outside. Not even on ebay and stuff. The only place which would probably sell this kind of music is a gallery in here that is known for its decades long cultivation of sub-culture related music, from rock and metal to hip-hop, reggae, tattoos and all that shit. I proceeded to ask some of the stores if they had Whitehouse/Prurient/Merzbow albums (because I didn't want to simply bust into the store asking for releases of GENOCIDE LOLITA, MAUTHAUSEN ORCHESTRA, NICOLE 12, heh) due to them being well recognized acts - didn't find anything, and the sellers didn't even know what I was talking about. I went to the harshest store there, focused on Black and Death Metal to ask if it had Brighter Death Now albums. "You know, Death Industrial, like?" The guy responds that "oh, that's like one of that Drone stuff you kids listen to, am I right?" HAHAHA!

Anyway, really enjoy Roger's sample work. Some of them, such as Adipocere and UriNITED, evoke the sheer perversity and boundlessness of Death Industrial with pure wit and darkness. I was listening to the Noisextra episode on Innerwar, and am curious as to where the American Tale sample comes from. The Innerwar one is Ted Bundy. But the hoster comment on the other one being a news report on two children being stabbed outside of a daycare home, all the while the other children were having a party outside. Does anyone have any idea on what's behind that? Probably no one, but anyway.
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/album/zob-zygglan

Balor/SS1535

Anyone know if the Bomb the Daynursery boxset will be issued on cd?

Speaking of random finds of this sort of music in normal record stores---I think it's just luck a lot of the time.  I found one of the Current 93 experimental albums (i.e. non-neofolk) at a folk record store, and more recently found a still sealed Skin Area 2cd set on CMI for $5 in the very small goth/industrial section of another local store (along with an early reissue of the In Slaughter Natives debut).

Into_The_Void

as a Metalhead, Brighter Death Now and Cold Meat Industry have been my first link ever to the industrial stuff, mainly due to Mortiis (I never really got into MZ412 until a few years ago). Karmanik's music is one of my main inspirations ever, but it was a kind of delusion when I saw him live last year (for various reasons I didn't manage to see a show of him before then) together with Raison d'Etre. He was pretty much wasted and dropped the table after barely 20 mins he started to play. Quite punk for sure, and what he did was good, but I expected a better (or at least a longer) show.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

burdizzo1

Quote from: Into_The_Void on February 03, 2024, 10:46:45 AMas a Metalhead, Brighter Death Now and Cold Meat Industry have been my first link ever to the industrial stuff, mainly due to Mortiis (I never really got into MZ412 until a few years ago). Karmanik's music is one of my main inspirations ever, but it was a kind of delusion when I saw him live last year (for various reasons I didn't manage to see a show of him before then) together with Raison d'Etre. He was pretty much wasted and dropped the table after barely 20 mins he started to play. Quite punk for sure, and what he did was good, but I expected a better (or at least a longer) show.

I saw BDN about 10-12 years ago when Karmanik was drunk, and it was amazing, and then again a few years ago when he was sober, and it was truly awful. Of course, there are limits to how pissed you can be... I suppose there's a tipping point, isn't there?!

Kaaoskultti

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on February 02, 2024, 06:43:56 PMAnyone know if the Bomb the Daynursery boxset will be issued on cd?

Speaking of random finds of this sort of music in normal record stores---I think it's just luck a lot of the time.  I found one of the Current 93 experimental albums (i.e. non-neofolk) at a folk record store, and more recently found a still sealed Skin Area 2cd set on CMI for $5 in the very small goth/industrial section of another local store (along with an early reissue of the In Slaughter Natives debut).

That's the gist of things. One can definitely find noise-related or noise-oriented music on those stores, but never the likes of Taint, Strict or & Con-dom, heh.

Quote from: burdizzo1 on February 03, 2024, 11:29:17 AMI saw BDN about 10-12 years ago when Karmanik was drunk, and it was amazing, and then again a few years ago when he was sober, and it was truly awful. Of course, there are limits to how pissed you can be... I suppose there's a tipping point, isn't there?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNsLCBt_44 - speaking of which, BDN seems like an amazing act to be seen live. The project still maintains the raw energy and unadulterated anger which pushes us towards that vortex of infinity that is the Todestrieb of our species. I guess that's what makes a good project, releasing music for decades without losing that omnipresent passion for pushing boundaries and creating good music. Your comment, in particular, reminds me of that segment of Roger's interview on Bardo Methodology in which he describes changing his whole lifestyle just to end up destroying everything and dressing in black as he used to, wallow in being himself. Seems like a nice person to talk with aswell.
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/album/zob-zygglan

Into_The_Void

Quote from: burdizzo1 on February 03, 2024, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: Into_The_Void on February 03, 2024, 10:46:45 AMas a Metalhead, Brighter Death Now and Cold Meat Industry have been my first link ever to the industrial stuff, mainly due to Mortiis (I never really got into MZ412 until a few years ago). Karmanik's music is one of my main inspirations ever, but it was a kind of delusion when I saw him live last year (for various reasons I didn't manage to see a show of him before then) together with Raison d'Etre. He was pretty much wasted and dropped the table after barely 20 mins he started to play. Quite punk for sure, and what he did was good, but I expected a better (or at least a longer) show.

I saw BDN about 10-12 years ago when Karmanik was drunk, and it was amazing, and then again a few years ago when he was sober, and it was truly awful. Of course, there are limits to how pissed you can be... I suppose there's a tipping point, isn't there?!

Probably I have just had partially bad luck, who knows? The show was quite good, just stopped after not even 20 minutes because he has thrown everything down eheh, quite punk, but at the same time, I would have gladly seen a longer show.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

cr

Saw BDN yesterday, joined by Martin Ekelund (TxRxPx), and in my opinion it was one of the best shows I recently watched. Very good and intense!

impulse manslaughter

I have a ticket for the show in Rotterdam next week. Really looking forward to this. Promotor told me last week 150+ pre-sale tickets were sold so there seems to be enough interest for this tour.