Top JUNK METAL HARSH NOISE releases

Started by Commander15, January 24, 2023, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Commander15 on December 09, 2023, 12:15:54 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 02:47:02 AM
Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 09, 2023, 01:50:58 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 24, 2023, 06:00:17 PMMania - "Insidious and Alone"

Yes, there is some synth in there, but where this release really shines is in the creation of an atmosphere/environment through junk metal.

Hal Hutchinson - "Dedicated to Damage"

Masterful layers of scrap metal avalanches.  What's not to like?

Insidious and Alone might be my favorite Mania tape and one of my favorite Mania cover art for a tape. Definitely some very isolating and chaotic atmosphere, created through junk metal, build up into some very suffocating atmosphere for sure.

Yes, and to call it atmospheric almost misses just how good it is.  The sounds plus the cover art manage to convey a whole story.

Got to get my hands on this tape, sounds really promising. I really love All Aftermath, it is one of my top 10 noise releases of all time. Raw Nerves CD also have super good junk metal handling in it.

It has been a while since I last heard All Aftermath, and Raw Nerves remains something I have yet to listen to.  I will need to go over both of those!

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 05:58:47 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 24, 2023, 06:00:17 PMMania - "Insidious and Alone"

Yes, there is some synth in there, but where this release really shines is in the creation of an atmosphere/environment through junk metal.

Insidious and Alone might be my favorite Mania tape and one of my favorite Mania cover art for a tape. Definitely some very isolating and chaotic atmosphere, created through junk metal, build up into some very suffocating atmosphere for sure.

Yes, and to call it atmospheric almost misses just how good it is.  The sounds plus the cover art manage to convey a whole story.

Got to get my hands on this tape, sounds really promising. I really love All Aftermath, it is one of my top 10 noise releases of all time. Raw Nerves CD also have super good junk metal handling in it.

It has been a while since I last heard All Aftermath, and Raw Nerves remains something I have yet to listen to.  I will need to go over both of those!

If you can find a copy of the split tape with Phocomelus, that one is great! It's some more of that isolating Mania material again, that's loaded in junk metal abuse. The Mania track was titled something like Chattery Panic Talking About Mass Murder. Seems like Keith was into this combination of nervous anxiety meets the thought of random explosive and spontaneous gun violence for a period there. It's very brilliant along with how anxiety ridden some of his recordings are. He does a good job at conveying to the listener that sort of dark madness happening in ones own lonely mind.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 09, 2023, 06:26:03 PM

If you can find a copy of the split tape with Phocomelus, that one is great! It's some more of that isolating Mania material again, that's loaded in junk metal abuse. The Mania track was titled something like Chattery Panic Talking About Mass Murder. Seems like Keith was into this combination of nervous anxiety meets the thought of random explosive and spontaneous gun violence for a period there. It's very brilliant along with how anxiety ridden some of his recordings are. He does a good job at conveying to the listener that sort of dark madness happening in ones own lonely mind.

Thanks---I will look into that one as well.  I think the sense of isolation is what makes these particular releases stand out so much to me.

Commander15

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 09:08:27 PM

Thanks---I will look into that one as well.  I think the sense of isolation is what makes these particular releases stand out so much to me.

Have to agree with you on this. Late-era Mania have this certain ominous, desolate even, mood through out. Very immaculately crafted noise with concrete sense of direction. Synths blended perfectly with junk metal carving and handling.

Moran

Violent Shogun's Knife Will Not Open Because of the Rust and Encephalophonic's releases are among the best I've listened to, along with the Mania tapes mentioned above and Hardly Lethal. The synth and metal sounds in the Violent Shogun tape are very detailed, yet they don't have a single bad moment.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Commander15 on December 11, 2023, 11:14:39 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 09, 2023, 09:08:27 PM

Have to agree with you on this. Late-era Mania have this certain ominous, desolate even, mood through out. Very immaculately crafted noise with concrete sense of direction. Synths blended perfectly with junk metal carving and handling.

Absolutely! Desolation seems to be the best word to give proper summary of Mania, especially towards the end. It really does seem like Keith knew exactly the blue print for what he was doing. It's definitely some of the most inspiring works of harsh noise to date and by all details of it, from the sounds being emitted down to the collage artworks that serve brilliantly to his isolating atmospheres of sheer madness!